Is this show actually going to happen

gunners65

It is apparently the way these events work now. With guests announced late, chances for cancellations are lower. I prefer that instead of guests announced a year ago that most of time had to cancel. At CMK, 5 weeks before, I was sure I would not go. Then eventually I went and met 16 guests. Last 2 weeks before LFFC, 14 guests were announced that I wanted to meet, giving a total amount of 26 guests to meet over the week-end. I wouldn't worry too much about this section being quiet at the moment. I'm actually more worried that I can only attend on sunday this time ;)

It is a bit later when compared with guest numbers announced 2 months before last years EMS.

I guess those most impacted by this 'delay' will be peeps who want to book travel early to save travel costs.

I am surprised tickets are not on sale yet tho.

It is a bit later when compared with guest numbers announced 2 months before last years EMS.

I guess those most impacted by this 'delay' will be peeps who want to book travel early to save travel costs.

I am surprised tickets are not on sale yet tho.

True....it had better go ahead. my flights and hotel, non-refundable and paid for months ago, I booked before any of the guests were announced. I already had to go for a later flight on Saturday than usual meaning I will probably only arrive at the Olympia around 11:30 / 12:00. The early BA flight from Glasgow to Gatwick was much too expensive for me so I had to go for a later easyJet flight.

Edited by BasG

I usually decide to attend conventions based on the guests and I never book anything "on faith" but I have the advantage of living not too far away from London. However, I usually spend the weekend in London and I have often booked not expensive hotels 2-3 weeks before the event. Certainly, the sooner we know the guests the better and this year it looks EMS is shaping up more slowly than in the past. Awaiting confidently...

• Moderators

Also depends on who they're negotiating with etc. There's no exact schedule for announcing - especially if it's still working guests who wouldn't know their schedules properly til nearer the time. Sometimes things just take longer.

Normally happens with first time minor guests like stormtroopers, ewoks etc

Again not really seen that much evidence of it. It's possible some former actors once approached might see it as a nice way of earning money for a days work they'd never considered - and cash in, find themselves an agency to shop around for other events, but most of the recent discoveries don't seem to do events elsewhere. Plenty on the circuit I'm not aware having ever having done a SM event mind you.

When not releasing names for guests, Jason did say someone would take his research and arrange private signings with such guests before his shows, but not events. Just tie them to first event deals, solves that.

Even then discovered Stormtrooper Martyn Read (who it turned out was not a first timer) did say he'd been sent loads of Star Wars to sign before the event took place, without his name being released publicly.

Besides you are talking minor players. Not the big ones forums get excited about.

On the other hand other people who take guests to another event for their animal charity have told me personally they don't like to announce too early, as they think certain organisers will poach them.

Edited by TerraHawk

I usually decide to attend conventions based on the guests and I never book anything "on faith" but I have the advantage of living not too far away from London. However, I usually spend the weekend in London and I have often booked not expensive hotels 2-3 weeks before the event. Certainly, the sooner we know the guests the better and this year it looks EMS is shaping up more slowly than in the past. Awaiting confidently...

Like you I am lucky to live close to Central London, so holding out right now on what guests are announced. I am off to a gig in the evening of the same day I plan to go, so it really has to be guest I really want to meet for me to definitely go! Plus it is hard to save up the pennies when you don't who is coming!

I am fluctuating between coming to this event and not, just based on the quietness. Not a serious complaint, if I come I come, if I don't, the only ones who are missing out are the company - I'm not making much money at the moment, so I really need to know in advance to be able to budget for these events, and with the lack of information, I feel like I'll be pulling it from the events I'm scheduled to go to altogether just because even if someone I want IS announced? I won't be able to afford it.

8 weeks to go and just 5 media guests so far, even the most optimistic person cannot deny that the guest announcements need to speed up considerably to match previous EMS events, approx 2 a day from now on required!

Go SM go go go.....

Edited by TonytheCylon

Does seem a bit weak so far. Undecided whether to go or not at the moment which will mean hotels and trains getting more expensive as we get closer - annoying.

8 weeks to go and just 5 media guests so far, even the most optimistic person cannot deny that the guest announcements need to speed up considerably to match previous EMS events, approx 2 a day from now on required!

Go SM go go go.....

Does seem a bit weak so far. Undecided whether to go or not at the moment which will mean hotels and trains getting more expensive as we get closer - annoying.

Go SM go go go.....

i am also in the same boat there are no guests of interest to me so far so am hoping that they will start coming in soon

8 weeks to go...guest announcements need to speed up considerably...approx 2 a day from now on required!

Hmmm 8 weeks is 56 days, so you want another 100+ guests? Blimey!

Tony is not a greedy cylon...he just needs as many guests as possible to build his Cylon UK Army!!!