Anyone Else?

Yes TooTall I understand the point about the total amount, but on a purely per attendee basis/ratio I think Robert done very well at Glasgow...I guess it is a far harder show to make bigger guests break even on due to the smaller attendee level.

I will still attend and get a few auto's and a couple of photos as I've always done.

Isn’t the decision simple though, if you don’t think it’s worth it don’t go?.

It seems only if revenue is affected, then there is some sort of change.

As Jason’s said blindly keep supporting it as it is, means it’ll be the same next year, and the year after?.

Edited by llama

• Showmasters Admin

Yes TooTall I understand the point about the total amount, but on a purely per attendee basis/ratio I think Robert done very well at Glasgow...I guess it is a far harder show to make bigger guests break even on due to the smaller attendee level.

I will still attend and get a few auto's and a couple of photos as I've always done.

You're totally right, per attendee Robert kicked butt at Glasgow.

Glad you'll still be coming along. I personally have always enjoyed the Glasgow shows.

• Showmasters Admin

Isn’t the decision simple though, if you don’t think it’s worth it don’t go?.

It seems only if revenue is affected, then there is some sort of change.

As Jason’s said blindly keep supporting it as it is, means it’ll be the same next year, and the year after?.

Interesting theory, but it's much more likely to end in a negative (the show being cancelled) than a positive (bigger guests).

So why not just cancel Glasgow? I think everyone would be happier tbh.

I wouldn' be happy!! :no:

Love this event on my doorstep. I also like the relaxed atmosphere in Braehead, no crazy queues, not too busy at the talks etc. To me it's a nice warm-up for EMS in October! If it wasn't for this event I probably would not have started going to the other shows in England.

• Like 2

Oh, and remember this quote? :smile: :smile:

"Boooring.

Just be glad we get a convention. Don't like the guests, don't attend, I am sure SM won't lose any sleep. End."

they wont lose any sleep but will start losing ££££££ and thats when CMG like Manchester will cease.

I am sick of people moaning on this site. I love CMG and don't go simply for guests...

It is a great event and we are really lucky to have a weekend in Scotland! I will continue to support it every year.

Jason does a fantastic job and we should ALL continue to support the show!!!!

Imagine how boring ALL the sites would be if we ALL agreed with each other!!!

no one is saying that Jason is doing other than a FANTASTIC job....

most of us just like to moan about CMG because its getting worse every year in regards to guests attending,

Hence the reason the same old CMG thread appears and one has already been locked.

• Like 1

Oh, and remember this quote? :smile: :smile:

"Boooring.

Just be glad we get a convention. Don't like the guests, don't attend, I am sure SM won't lose any sleep. End."

they wont lose any sleep but will start losing ££££££ and thats when CMG like Manchester will cease.

I was quoting Touchthesky who said this a few months ago but seemed to have changed her opinion slightly :angel:

• Moderators

The comparison between Manchester and Glasgow isn't fair - Manchester had much bigger and more expensive guests, and didn't do well at all. Glasgow has been steady for years now, and clearly Showmasters want to be able to keep running it there.

I understand the disappointment in the guest list, but it's a shame some seem to just want it cancelled. It's better to keep in the area, have a regular show, and then be able to grow it IF and WHEN the time comes.

There's many factors that go along with that though, and maybe it'll always be this size, but I'm sure the majority would rather have something than nothing.

• Like 2

the show will have a full on amount of dealers and that the main thing the fans seem to go for, that, and to be seen in cosplay .

each event is different and this one is not guest driven

This will only be my second year going and there's loads of folk still unaware of this event so i for one wish to support this show and do my part to help it grow more!

But we've already been told that the focus of this event is not the guests and therefore it won't grow. From Jason's mouth himself.

I have been silent on the fourms for the last month!

I find i all very hard about the Glasgow Con....i think it is obvious to anyone who follows my posts that in general i am negatve to Glasgow however this is due to me caring about it.

Guys like Jason Vorhees, Jack Daniels and Kitten,,,,,i hear you 100%...the guests its what makes Glasgow.

I remember the excitement of meeting Dirk, Ernie, Warwick etc but alas that is no more....

Why i hear you ask....

well at first i thought it was cause Showmasters was being cheap and not bothering about us, i moaned, i moaned some more. Did i expect London guests??? Nope

Did i expect some nice cool guests?

Yep

But it was not to be, the last couple of Glasgow cons have been bad in the respect of " BIG GUESTS"

Now the moaning i was talking about went unanswered until recently when Jason explained what the problem was with Glasgow....to my horror the problem was US...the paying cusotmer....we didnt pay....we didnt by autogrpahs...we did not make it finacially viable and now we are paying the price!

I, as someone else pointed out would never have heard of the London Events without first going to Glasgow. Thats where i found Showmasters and my life has been the better for it...i have met so many heros of mine since then.

Do i agree with Jason that its not an guest event lead con......NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!

The problem for me is that i always believe that Glasgow needs at least one Guest who is known to the general public and can draw average Joes in. This year although some of the guests are cool they are not well known enough to pull in new visitors.

Jason used the "boy from Scrubs" as an example. He may have been expensive to bring over and did reasonably well but he again is not known for anything other than Scrubs and would not bring in a large amount of new visitors in my opinion. I always thought he was a strange guest for Glasgow but appreciate that Showmasters tried.

I find it worrying though that Showmasters seem to think that the way CMG is now is the way that it should stay and no longer seem willing to try a better guest again in the future.

If the Show breaks even or makes a small profit i would hope to see them try with a slightly bigger headliner next time. Again i dont expect London sized guests but just someone a bit better know.

It was sad Callum Blue cancelled as he has a wide range of credits but even he is not a well known face to many.

I would prefer that Showmasters would make one last big push with Glasgow with one really good guest and let us bring in the public rather than the slow death that is Glasgow at the moment.

I for one will be there on Saturday with my Daughter to meet Sarah Douglas....

I love Showmasters....

I love Glasgow....

I just want both to work....

I am disapointed with this years event but i will still be attending to support Jason and his crew that have built this event and hopefully we all still attend, buy some autographs and make the show a sucess.

Alll the best and hope you all have a fun weekend.!

Craig

Edited by Goodie586

Do not cancel this. I signed up for it after going to CM-MK in June (which blew me away!) and mainly want to go as I could only do the Saturday and therefore missed photos with Colin Baker and Deborah Watling (who I was pleased to see are both doing this). Ive never met Deborah before or Sarah Sutton so am really looking forward to them. Also Vila was my favourite character in Blake's 7 so Michael Keating is also a very favoured guest for me. Im a huge Dr Who fan so 1 or 2 guests ive never met before will always grab my attention. Fraser Hines, Gareth Thomas, Anneke Wills, Paul Darrow types next year for example would assure me going.

I do go to Glasgow collecto for the stalls but thats because there are never realy any geusts I want to meet and I only go cause I live 10 minutes away. I have never liked the attitude some people have that just be glad you even have a event. Glasgow is not the end of the world and seeing all the latest geust announcemts being for EMS has been a bit rubbish as I don't see why even a couple of them could have been added to Glasgow instead.

• Moderators

I don't see why even a couple of them could have been added to Glasgow instead.

It's never going to be that easy - availability, cost, etc. I can't see anyone at EMS that would be a better idea for Glasgow.

well i go because Scotland has an event like this , full stop . I have fun every year , even if there are guests that i'm not interested in , and i will continue to attened as long as Showmasters keep putting this event on .

Keep up the good work guys , you have never let me down yet . See you all tomorrow :clap::dance:

• Like 2

For once, I will wake up at 8am and not be thinking 'I should be getting ready for the airport'. I will take the short drive to the event at 11am and I'm going to treat this as a nice relaxing day out and look for some collectibles (and potential presents) that I also can take home in my car :) That's the one thing I can't do at MK or LFCC, fit any of those big items I want to buy into my puny wee rucksack ;) No problems at this event...and a couple of guests I'll meet too.

I say this whenever this argument comes up - The guests are gravy, as far as Glasgow goes.

Showmasters have said they can't justify bigger-ticket guests for the show - But that's always only part of the fun as far as I'm concerned.

There's the costuming / cosplay masquerade - Which was bigger this year than ever before.

We in the UKCM always try to have some new characters to introduce you to, and new props to show you - And the Imperial Scottish Squad/UK Garrison outdid themselves this year with their Gammorean Guards, Iron Man, as well as the usual Star Wars favourites.

Y'all know I'm gonna have something going on outside of Collectormania to entertain you in between show days - And I'd be more than happy to help out with anything interactive that we could do during the show itself - Maybe a geek-centric quiz, or a Rock Band setup in a corner of the arena? All of this kinda stuff, whilst not directly making any money, will still bring people along to the show itself and more importantly make it a more fun experience than a simple trip to A1 Comics ( As one wag commented today upon seeing the size of their stall :) )

Showmasters shouldn't cancel the show, so long as it makes enough money to keep going there's still enough about it to enjoy even if the guests aren't to your taste.

( Kudos to Jason and Stuart for explaining the guest situation politely and clearly, too - I've seen too many other event forums go into meltdown because the mods get all defensive at any criticism and lash out, even when a fair point has been made in a critical post. That benefits nobody, so well played Showmasters! )

• Like 1