Anyone Else?

Just wanted to give a response to Showmasters post which is locked about the Glagow event. First of all I appreciate all the work Jason and his crew do. I love Showmasters events and they are a major highlight in my Callander. Ihave met many heroes of ine from film and tv and had a fantastic time. Quite simply I am a BIG Showmasters fan!

However, I can be a bit of a knob, I am that guy, the pain on the butt that moans about the Glasgow event and the guests etc! Why do I moan? Normally cause I care, some times cause I have had too much wine but basically i am selfish and want more of what I enjoy!!!

I have looked over some of my previous posts and I have come to realise that I can sound like a bit of a butthead! Sorry, sometimes what I have to say comes off rude and if I have offended anyone I apoligise.

Thank you for your post Jason, it finally made it clear to me why Glasgow is the kind of event it is, I in my ignorance i never realised that the attendees were not buying autographs as much....que cheap jokes about tight Scotsmen lol.....I always assumed that like me that's what folk went for, although I am more a photoshoot guy. However I assumed and as the saying goes never assume as it makes an Ass out of you and me. I am that ass!

I adore the events down south and the first few events that we had up here because they catered to my likes, I now understand how and why you are having to build the show slowly, I shall now stop my moaning each year and be thankful for my local event.

I also saw your comment about fliers, I am happy to do this, I have a job that does not allow me much free time but I am happy to help. I am always selling the shows to all my friends and collegues. I affectionately call the events " Geek Fests" and link everything on Facebook. I will continue to spread the word.

I may be negative sometimes, but I like to think I can comment,yes maybe I could be a bit more tactful and I will try, its just I am a bit passionate about it and get carried away.

Away I have talked enough nonsense.......thanks again for all Showmaters events.....gutted I am missing the EMS as i am out of the country but I will continue to support you guys and thank all the folk who give up their time to crew.

All the best for the future.......and I will continue to be there and support you.

Regards

Craig.....aka the moaning git.

• Like 4

I in my ignorance i never realised that the attendees were not buying autographs as much....que cheap jokes about tight Scotsmen lol.....I always assumed that like me that's what folk went for

I was suprised by Jason's post as well. It is all about the guests for me as well but I think they have come up with a decent guest list this year again.

For me it's the overall experice, the guests add to that and yes it would be good to have big names but i love the fact we have a more intimate event.

It's good to know it is growing steadily each year and i too would love to be sent leaflets to help bring awareness of this event. I also think creating a Facebook event page would be a great idea.

I think this could be our biggest attended year yet and look forward to hear the rest of the guests (there are always a few that confirm in the final run up)

P.S. @Goodie, i knew your heart was in the right place, but as you have realised the numbers that are needed just don't put there hands in there wallets, i do however think this can be a bit of a double ended blade in that more spend there savings on the bigger events so that once this one comes along they go to see guests but not spend anything.

So we need a large number of folk willing to spend a fair bit, not just on collectables but on guests too.

Edited by Brian Cairns

• 2 weeks later...

I personaly attend the Glasgow show for the Odd Auto and Photo depends on the guest, however I spend more at the stalls,

I save up every year for London or MK, dependant of the guests, MK was the venue this year for myself, Lance,Dyer,Superman,Lena,sean astin,jaws,carl weathers... it was amazing even though I like my horror stuff, there was loads of different guests for me who'm I have wanted to meet and thanks to the hard work from everyone involved, the team made it possible for me and even though I kinda huff and moan about guests in Glasgow, I know that London or MK more than make up for it.

Its only because I live in Glasgow that I have a moan to myself LOL.

p.s. I am more than happy to give out flyers to my work and to my clubs and pubs that I go to again this year to Promote the glasgow event just as I did last year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The lineup is about the same size as it usually is, no? Without checking previous events, it looks about the same as I'd expect.

EMS and other events usually have a lot more, so that's not really surprising.

Wow! Negitive much? I personaly am looking forward to this, even with no guests i could easily enjoy this event.

It's not being negative for the sake of being negative. The majority of Collectormania attendees, it's fair to say, go for guests. If people aren't interested in guests, then they're not going to be very excited. Simple.

I'll be heading along as i'm local, but i've met many of the guests before, and i'll be heading along to meet Sonny and then leaving again.

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

every year we hear the same thing and every year we have around the same amount of people attend, and whenever we share a bigger guest, no one really cares at this show, they do not go there for the guests and never have done

we have a first timer with the scrubs boy last year and no one really was interested .

the show will have a full on amount of dealers and that the main thing the fans seem to go for, that, and to be seen in cosplay .

each event is different and this one is not guest driven

same response as last years i think ?

jason

Edited by Rhianydd

I have to say last year Robert Maschio was the only reason I actually went. I bought both an auto and a photo as did several of my friends.

I know we get told every year be thankful you've got an event but to be honest I think I'm going to just start saving my money and going to London from now on.

• Like 1

every year we hear the same thing and every year we have around the same amount of people attend, and whenever we share a bigger guest, no one really cares at this show, they do not go there for the guests and never have done

we have a first timer with the scrubs boy last year and no one really was interested .

the show will have a full on amount of dealers and that the main thing the fans seem to go for, that, and to be seen in cosplay .

jason

I can't even begin to say what I think is wrong with that post, so won't really try!

surely you've got to judge by comparison on a 'per attendee' basis? -

I mean when you have 10 times as many visitors to LFCC as to Glasgow you have to take that into account...did Robert Maschio really sell more than 10 times the amount of auto's and photos at LFCC than how many he sold at Glasgow? I'd love to know the answer because he must have sold at least 300 photoshoots at lfcc and was 10 times as busy as he was at the auto table ;)

Ok, I'd just like to add I saw how busy he was at Glasgow and at LFCC...it's an insult to the Glasgow show really saying nobody was interested, when he clearly sold comparatively a lot more at Glasgow than he did at LFCC!...

Edited by SciFiRob
  • Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

Sorry but your maths don't work because the guests overheads are the same at both shows.

You are correct the attendee figures at LFCC are 10 times more, and guests don't do 10 times more at LFCC BUT it's irrelevant when the guests overheads are the same. A guest may only need to do twice as much at LFCC for them to cover their costs.

Glasgow 200 pieces (autographs and photo shoots) = Loss

LFCC 400 pieces (autographs and photo shoots) = Break even

Guests do sometimes make a loss at LFCC, it happens, the system isn't perfect. But if you know you need to sell 600 pieces for a guest to break even, it's a lot more likely to happen at an event with 20k+ attendees than it is at one with only 2,000-3,000.

I understand the frustration I really do, but SM did try, they started off getting bigger US guests and everytime they lost money on them. They did keep on trying but the issue is if it keeps happening, they'll have to look at stopping the show completely. It happened in Manchester, the last two shows lost over £20k each and so SM decided it just wasn't going to work. Glasgow was started in a smaller venue than Manchester and so the show overheads are lower, meaning it's possible for the show to continue as a smaller show, that wasn't possible at the Manchester venue. Maybe one day a new smaller (cheaper) Manchester venue will be found and SM will go back, who knows.

Could the line up be better, of course it always can be, that's true even for LFCC. But for Glasgow to continue I honestly don't see SM throwing large amounts of money at it to get bigger guests because the risk is just too high.

Jason is just trying to be honest. Is it going to be the LFCC of the north, no. Does he want to continue putting on a fun smaller show in Glasgow, yes. It's then up to people if they choose to come or not.

• Like 1

Sorry but your maths don't work because the guests overheads are the same at both shows.

You are correct the attendee figures at LFCC are 10 times more, and guests don't do 10 times more at LFCC BUT it's irrelevant when the guests overheads are the same. A guest may only need to do twice as much at LFCC for them to cover their costs.

Glasgow 200 pieces (autographs and photo shoots) = Loss

LFCC 400 pieces (autographs and photo shoots) = Break even

Guests do sometimes make a loss at LFCC, it happens, the system isn't perfect. But if you know you need to sell 600 pieces for a guest to break even, it's a lot more likely to happen at an event with 20k+ attendees than it is at one with only 2,000-3,000.

I understand the frustration I really do, but SM did try, they started off getting bigger US guests and everytime they lost money on them. They did keep on trying but the issue is if it keeps happening, they'll have to look at stopping the show completely. It happened in Manchester, the last two shows lost over £20k each and so SM decided it just wasn't going to work. Glasgow was started in a smaller venue than Manchester and so the show overheads are lower, meaning it's possible for the show to continue as a smaller show, that wasn't possible at the Manchester venue. Maybe one day a new smaller (cheaper) Manchester venue will be found and SM will go back, who knows.

Could the line up be better, of course it always can be, that's true even for LFCC. But for Glasgow to continue I honestly don't see SM throwing large amounts of money at it to get bigger guests because the risk is just too high.

Jason is just trying to be honest. Is it going to be the LFCC of the north, no. Does he want to continue putting on a fun smaller show in Glasgow, yes. It's then up to people if they choose to come or not.

You explained that well, it makes sense to me. I would like to see guests of Robert Englund's calibre in Glasgow again but I have been quite happy with the guest lists at the last few Glasgow CM's including this year's. Of course this all comes down to personal preference but people like Sarah Douglas, Virigina Hey and Kenneth Colley are definitely of interest to me.

Of course you cannot compare Glasgow to the bigger shows down south. I am lucky to stay only a couple of miles from Breahead so I would always go to this show even if there were not any guests but if I had to travel from Aberdeen for example I would have saved my money for one of the bigger shows in England.

• Like 1

If it wasnt for the guests the first couple of years I would NEVER have attended, basicly your saying that Glasgow isnt worth it for Guests!!

I personaly get the feeling that theres NO effort for Glasgow, especialy with it being so close to London October.

Hence the reason I will be saving money and start going to Germany.

p.s. The only reason I go nowadays is for Dazdesigns Figures.

I spent £3000 at MK this year and have just over a grand to spend at CMG, last year at MK I spent £650.00 on Robert Englund alone,

I thought the scrubs boy did no bad last year, he always seemed to have folk at his table!!!

on another note....what did that tell you??

well its not for the guests thats for sure!!! and defo NOT for the cosplay!!! people on here are screaming for Horror guests and Variety more than anything.

if its the same every year how can they be different???

yes you are correct with this one, yet no changes, seems to me you would rather scrap CMG!!!

The people on here are telling you that they are not happy with the guests and that they want change instead of 7 Dr Who guests out of 11...

wow this show would be better called Dr Who arrives at Braehead.

jason