feedback and some thoughts from jason after this years LFCC

You're still not seeing it from our point of view.

1) It is no good saying you rarely make the same mistake twice. You should plan and organise so that there are no mistakes in the first place. For example, it is better to be overstaffed and have to send some home than to be caught out by even a 100% increase in fans.

2) It is no good saying that the photos will be correct next year. People have paid good money to stand with their idols THIS year and been disappointed. Why synchronise your cameras to the on-site printers and then send the work outside? You need a few more checklists and backup plans.

BTW, I am grateful for the stars you brought in. Once I found the right queue on Friday and got in, I had a great time (as you say you want) but I wouldn't go back and spend more money on Saturday because it was obvious what was going to go wrong (from our point of view). I think it was a good location with the signing area (my main interest) being particularly good, especially when going armed with the floorplan (although why would this have to be published at the last minute?)

I do think it's a good idea to have more staff than needed just incase but not to then send them home. I have crewed befour and would be very dissapointed after getting up at 6 in the morning just to be told I wasn't needed and to go home. I think it would put people off.

x

• Like 1

Not really interested in excuses, you made excuses on the day and then made guarantees about photo delivery to those of us waiting at 7pm on the Saturday which you haven't fulfilled. its an ongoing process I know but bottom line is I'm still awaiting a photo I paid 35 pounds for, and I still have no idea when I will recieve it

just to be told I wasn't needed and to go home. I think it would put people off.

If you have followed elsewhere, you will see that I do not agree with the idea of voluntary "crew". I would only have paid staff who would have to do the job I wanted and prove they could do it to a certain level. They would be quite happy to be sent home with pay! Can you imagine doing your shopping and finding that the supermarket just took on a few dozen volunteers that morning to "try" to do the day's work? That is what we, the paying public are up against here!

I've done the volunteer staff thing at music festivals since I was a teen (and have the 'crew' shirts in my wardrobe to prove it, lol). Doesn't surprise me that cons work the same way. It's just one of the easiest ways to cut overhead while still keeping the entry tickets affordable. Supermarkets can cut other costs that festivals and cons can't. The venue and the artists/actors attending aren't going to lower their fees, there's lots more that are willing to pay full price for them. Raising ticket costs is going to result in less people attending, so your net outcome won't change much. Staff is the one thing that can be made affordable, as lots of people are willing to crew for a couple of days in exchange for free entry and the chance to meet the attending artists/actors. So I don't think the supermarket comparison is entirely fair.

So I don't think the supermarket comparison is entirely fair.

Understood but where you put "cut overheads", what you really mean is "increase profit". There is no need to increase entry prices (remember MK is free), just provide a professional service for the paying public. You will have read several times that people one way or another deliberately spent less because of a bad experience. They don't often report here when they spend more because of a good one!

thanks i had a great time, made easier by knowing where the VT guests would be as well as a floor plan, i know there were a couple of guys on sunday were grateful i could tell them roughly where freema was. it made my getting a train home easier knowing exactly where to head.

So I don't think the supermarket comparison is entirely fair.

Understood but where you put "cut overheads", what you really mean is "increase profit". There is no need to increase entry prices (remember MK is free), just provide a professional service for the paying public. You will have read several times that people one way or another deliberately spent less because of a bad experience. They don't often report here when they spend more because of a good one!

No, what I mean is 'make sure you at least play even'. Remember they have to pay the guests, pay the office staff, arrange flights and hotels... I'd be surprised if the profit margins were very large here. I've never been to the MK event, but I imagine venue hire might be much lower there than it is in London. Same goes for hotel costs. Big cities are expensive.

Don't forget that although the crew are volunteers, some have been with Showmasters from the beginning, and it is these (as well as others) that we look to for guidance and who also train new crew. Using an outside company to crew these events would not work anywhere near as well, especially when you consider that the crew are all fans themselves and before even crewing usually were attendees too so have an insight into the attendees day at the show and how they can help improve that.

Using an outside company to crew these events would not work anywhere near as well, especially when you consider that the crew are all fans themselves and before even crewing usually were attendees too .

Understood, although I never mentioned using an outside employer.

To be honest, if the two queues on Friday had been clearly labelled, I probably should have said very little but something so basic (from our point of view) and right at the start was really riling.

no you didn't, but given that there are only "x" number of shows a year, paid staff is something different too, therefore the only way to get those would be an outside company as showmasters could not employ 220+ for just a few shows a year.

Yes, the initial queues had an issue which Jason addressed in his feedback

Edited by Rhianydd

With regard to the photo shoot prints, would it be possible at some point in future to get them digitally rather than printed out? For several reasons, it would cut down (for those of us who want to do it and for yourselves) on resources, colour printing, paper.etc More environmentally friendly. Also I would be quite happy to leave the event without paper print outs knowing that I'd get them at some stage digitally, via e-mail perhaps or whatever other way would be potentially feasible. One thing I mentioned with some of my prints from LFCC, they were unfortunately less than satisfactory, too bright, lots of "sky".etc and I was very unhappy with them, I didn't want them re-printed and posted as again it's a waste of time, money, paper and resources in general. I have since had this problem rectified to my satisfaction and now have results that I'm happy with, but if digitals were possible that would be a big improvement on the results gained from LFCC. In addition to that, it would stop so much of the crowding at the collection points and also as they're printed on gloss, they are easily fingermarked and again several of mine were fingered by the time I saw them, presumably by other people yoiking their own photos off the table which were in close proximity. A lot of people like to share their images electronically nowadays so digital would definitely be a step forward and save the hassle of re-scanning prints which even at a high bit rate doesn't produce great results, on photos where there's dark areas (dark clothing.etc) you get a greenish hue across the picture which I'm told comes from the gloss on the paper. So for those reasons, I'd like to find out about the possibility of obtaining the electronic copies of my images are. I'm not going to reproduce hundreds and sell the pictures of the celebrity, I just want them for myself, plus they're great and convenient to look back at as well as environmentally friendly! In addition to that, it would be nice to have the highest quality image that you can possibly have, since we're not talking like a fiver but anything from £10-35 for a photograph ticket - that is also to point out, that I'm not complaining about photo shoot prices before anyone thinks that, I enjoy the shoots and am grateful to be able to get a picture with someone I really want to meet, I'm just saying that for £35, you want the best you can get, which you can really only get from the digital shot, I've tried rescanning the printed photos at high resolutions but to no avail.. Thank you for reading :smile:

Edited by SilvaNemesis

no you didn't, but given that there are only "x" number of shows a year, paid staff is something different too, therefore the only way to get those would be an outside company as showmasters could not employ 220+ for just a few shows a year.

Yes, the initial queues had an issue which Jason addressed in his feedback

I don't think anyone except me has said anything about the Friday queues. They are certainly not mentioned at point 12 in the first post of this thread.

Obviously, you would not employ them full-time!

Dont remember there being an issue with the queue on Friday. We got off the train and saw the signs on the wall indicating the prepayed queue and joined it. There were also SM crew and men in suits coming up the queue checking we were in the right one.

No event of the size of LFCC anywhere in the world, including San Diego Comic Con, runs completely smoothly. People make mistakes, it's what makes us people not robots. The fact is 230 ish (unsure of exact numbers) blue shirts gave up their time in an effort to make as many people happy as possible, and of the tens of thousands of attendees that weekend I think the 99.5% that were patient and understanding left happy. As far as I know nobody that wanted an autograph left empty handed, which considering the numbers involved I think is something special, and something SDCC does not even try to do.

Photos are always gonna be a bone of contention, made worse by the complications that Technology always seems to throw up, too many pictures with too many guests, and not enough time to ship them out to photo labs, whose quality control is outside of Showmasters control. So they tried something new, something they hadn't tried before. The thing about plans is that until they are attempted, no one knows how well they are going to work, and in this case there were problems and next time there will also be problems...different problems! Improvise, adapt, overcome.

So after these informed and logical points I shall move onto my secret weapon, my main point, my stunning and brilliant reposte to all...

Chin up princess, time to move on!

• Like 2

Dont remember there being an issue with the queue on Friday. We got off the train and saw the signs on the wall indicating the prepayed queue and joined it. There were also SM crew and men in suits coming up the queue checking we were in the right one.

What time was that?