Cosplay

Hey every one, this is my first time at LFCC, Im going to be coming in costume, just wondering what is the best thing to do regarding changing. Should I get there early, get changed before queueing for a ticket. or queue first and get in then change? or be brave and cosplay the whole way there and back. The only issue is the heat, i fear once everything is on I'll be hotter than a hot thing.

A lot depends on your costume to be honest. We've done both (going up in costume/getting changed there).

If you don't feel your costume is practical enough to go in, it's really not that big a hassle getting changed on site (there are changing rooms provided and there's always the loos!) but if you do this, get your tickets and any virtual tickets first. This is key!

Edited by Starbuck's dad

Not really a proper cosplay, though I've been racking my brain trying to decide what i should wear (yeah guys do that too) i decided to go with something a bit different than the usual generic fanboy style i usually wear everyday, i wanted to make a bit more effort here so going for an "inspired by" Bruce Banner (Ruffalo) look. Curious to see how many will even notice or realise.

how many times have I gone out in 'inspired by' clothes, only for people to notice, but think i'm 'inspired by' someone completely different. i.e. I go out thinking I look like Eponine, and people spend the day saying "wow, you look so Jane Austen." "Nooooo, %&!#$ you!! You know nothing! Nothing!" Anyway, rant over, I'm really feeling the Avengers vibe right now, so I'll make sure to look out for you!! I'm sure you'll look awesome!

Hey every one, this is my first time at LFCC, Im going to be coming in costume, just wondering what is the best thing to do regarding changing. Should I get there early, get changed before queueing for a ticket. or queue first and get in then change? or be brave and cosplay the whole way there and back. The only issue is the heat, i fear once everything is on I'll be hotter than a hot thing.

Well, it's easier to change inside the venue, unless you're comfortable changing in the queue! So I'd say out of those two options: get ticket and then change. But personally, I'm a wear-it-there girl. I think there's nothing more fun than travelling up on a train in costume. It brightens up the day for all the unsuspecting commuters/shoppers. Luckily, for me, the whole trip is only about two hours tops, so it's not a big deal, and it saves me having to take anything with me.
  • Like 1

Not really a proper cosplay, though I've been racking my brain trying to decide what i should wear (yeah guys do that too) i decided to go with something a bit different than the usual generic fanboy style i usually wear everyday, i wanted to make a bit more effort here so going for an "inspired by" Bruce Banner (Ruffalo) look. Curious to see how many will even notice or realise.

how many times have I gone out in 'inspired by' clothes, only for people to notice, but think i'm 'inspired by' someone completely different. i.e. I go out thinking I look like Eponine, and people spend the day saying "wow, you look so Jane Austen." "Nooooo, %&!#$ you!! You know nothing! Nothing!" Anyway, rant over, I'm really feeling the Avengers vibe right now, so I'll make sure to look out for you!! I'm sure you'll look awesome!

Thanks, are you going in costume or anything then?

I'd like to keep an eye out for you, though if you pm me on my Facebook i'll try arrange a meet-up if you like.

Edited by Brian Cairns
  • Like 1

A couple of us are going as soldiers from my book, just to promote it a bit more before the second one comes out. Look out for us - black berets, red knitted jumpers, and I'll probably have cling film round my wrist from my new tattoo. :P

• Like 2

And for the first time ever I'm finished before I set off. What's going on??? Well apart from sewing my sg patches to my sgc shirt which I have still to buy, but yep finished. So Friday is the *cough* Jane Austen look, Saturday is the duchess inspired look and sunday sg1 sgc uniform and the Jane Austen for the masquerade. Just need to practice wrapping a regency turban and curling the front of my hair.

• Like 3

Found my silk shawl today, so now my shoulders and arms will be protected when I'm outside travelling to and from the event, whilst still being accurate to the character. No way am I getting sunburnt AGAIN on my shoulders and arms. My left shoulder is still pretty bad after last Saturday's charity event I did!

Quix- aww you're such an adorable Alice!!!!

As for me, turns out my dress doesn't need darting and is considered complete! Just re hot glue the safety pin back on the sleeve medallion, and Megara will be DONE!

My costume before the edits were done (mostly sewing in that top band and updating the headband!):

Heros-1221.jpg

Edited by FuriePhoenix
  • Like 1

So I'm having my usual last minute panic - only one day left and I still haven't finished my costume!!!

I'm doing a theatre based costume - Enjolras from Les Mis (the stage version NOT the film version!) so I've been appropriately singing 'One Day More' as I scramble to get everything finished. Slightly scared it isn't going to happen! I'll sew all night if I have to!

@Brian Cairns, you won't be able to miss me, I'll be the one in the gaudy red and gold waistcoat, make sure you grab me to say hi! You're going to CM Glas too, aren't you?

Everyone's costumes look amazing, I can't wait to see them all at the weekend, I'm going to grab as many of you as I can for a picture!

• Like 1

I'm doing my first cosplay this year as well, I'm not gonna say who, it's a surprise tee hee :). But I will say it's a character from one of the Resident Evil Games :). Also, if you do see me Saturday, please feel free to come and say Hewwo :)

Edited by SiriuslyBlack

Reminder of rules about weapons, props and any other potentially dangerous items. Please do read the rules carefully before apply however if in doubt do feel to post a pic of your item or describe it here (picture would be ideal) and we can give guidance on what to change, how to improve etc. A few other tips to improve your experience:

[*]It is recommend that props such as guns, swords, knifes and bows and arrows are carried in a concealed bag whilst walking around the event. You can of course take these out for photos and when on stage but to avoid any difficult contact please do conceal if you can.

Ok the gun isn't an issue as I hav a bag BUT I have a blade (sheethed) strapped to my leg. Would this cause a problem?

Just out of interest, my son was considering coming in a Superhero costume (not sure if he will or not tomorrow, when it comes to the crunch, particularly with the temperatures forecast), but as I don't know a lot about Cosplay, I wondered whether there was a difference in someone just putting on a costume they have bought from a shop , e.g. a Superhero, or as a lot of you seem to do spend many months hand making your costumes ? Is Cosplay more than just putting on a costume, e.g. like a fancy dress party for example ?

Just out of interest, my son was considering coming in a Superhero costume (not sure if he will or not tomorrow, when it comes to the crunch, particularly with the temperatures forecast), but as I don't know a lot about Cosplay, I wondered whether there was a difference in someone just putting on a costume they have bought from a shop , e.g. a Superhero, or as a lot of you seem to do spend many months hand making your costumes ? Is Cosplay more than just putting on a costume, e.g. like a fancy dress party for example ?

Well, there's many different views on what constitutes cosplay. Some think any costume you wear and have fun in counts if you want it to, some say it's got to be something you've made yourself, some say its got to be something handmade but it's ok to commission it from someone else, and so on. In my view (and most people I speak to), if your son is wearing a costume and having fun, and calling it cosplay, who are we to disagree? I think your son should put the costume on and have a great time. Who will he be dressing as, out of interest?

Well, there's many different views on what constitutes cosplay. Some think any costume you wear and have fun in counts if you want it to, some say it's got to be something you've made yourself, some say its got to be something handmade but it's ok to commission it from someone else, and so on. In my view (and most people I speak to), if your son is wearing a costume and having fun, and calling it cosplay, who are we to disagree? I think your son should put the costume on and have a great time. Who will he be dressing as, out of interest?

Thanks. No easy answer to that question then ! :smile:

Last night he was thinking of coming as Iron Man, but who knows what he will be thinking come the early hours of Saturday morning when we have to get up !

Like to say a big thank you to all our entries for the masquerade on both days amazing stuff well done guys and of course very well done to all our winners! Don't forget the cosplay returns at glasgow and cardiff this year so get those cosplays in progress for then as well as winter LFCC! See you all soon again guys! :D