Strollers / pushchairs now banned at San Francisco Comic-Con

felice

..So they should be. Events like this are no place for babies who will cry and take up room when they're too young to even be remotely interested. Kids should be put in daycare for something like this... It's crowded enough without prams taking up room.

• Like 1

Difficult one, before I had kids I would have been all for banning them, but now I have kids I am more sympathetic to people struggling around generally with buggies, pushchairs etc

If you are a fan of these shows, it would be a shame if you couldn't attend just because you could only come with your young child, for those without children it's not always easy to get trusted and reliable baby sitters or child care can be very expensive.

Lets hope there is room for all of us, so try and be tolerant if you can, because don't forget we were all being pushed around ourselves in a pushchair when we were young.

• Like 1

As the OP's wife, I can see both sides...

I'm not a fan of the kid-centric, everything-must-be-family-friendly society, but on the other hand, SM events are one of the few places I have not seen too much of that. I'm short (as you can see in my avatar) and do have trouble walking, on occasion having to use a cane, but the biggest problem I have is people looking elsewhere and walking smack into me because they're not looking down to my level. At least the buggy-pushing parents at SM events are generally looking downwards towards their offspring so can see and avoid me.

SM events appear to be havens for wheelchair users, little people and others who would otherwise perhaps be marginalised by society. I have the biggest problems with the elaborately attired cosplayers who don't see where they're heading because of masks or other costume obstructions, as well as those who are so engrossed in looking at the guests or merchandise that they're not looking where they're going. Generally, parents with buggy-size children aren't among them.

That said, I doubt very much that a STROLLER PARKING HERE sign such as those at Disneyland would win many fans. The invitation to kleptomaniacs would be too great, for a start. And the parents would not thank anyone for making them carry their child for the whole day!

Yes, as a cane-user, I would appreciate more space. But the atmosphere would be lacking without the element of having to wait, push or queue for what or who you wanted to see.

Reading the article in more detail on ComicCon makes me think about the current discussion on the audience target group for Radio One, which apparently is 15 - 29. However, with part of this debate the Controller was talking about having a growing group of people who he termed "festival dads" who were still listening to Radio One and take their family to festivals. I can see a lot of similarites in regard to an older group of people and parents attending events like the LFCC.

I'm going to be honest with you as to my view and I appreciate you won't all agree but here goes.

I have been a fan of sci-fi, comics and films for as long as I can remember , this type of event wasn't really around on any great scale in the 1970's when I would have been of pushchair age, but I did go and see films like Superman and Star Wars with my Dad or watch shows like Star Trek TOS (already on repeat) at a young age which drew me into the whole world , as well as being kid when organisations realised the potential for income generation from film or tv related merchandise. I am also part of a generation that had the first home computers or games systems. As I grew up I started to go to film related shows and events and began to collect autographs really as a momento. Over the last 10 to 15 years there has been a huge growth in the UK of fan related events and I was caught up in the wave of those and have been going ever since. Yes, I got older and now have a family but I haven't lost my interest and in the same way I went with my Dad to see Superman, having the opportunity to bring my kids to Showmasters events feels like a way of carrying on and sharing that interest with my family. Personally I think it would be a sad world if people couldn't bring their kids which would mean them missing out but also the next generation also being awed and inspired by attending these events. If you could have seen the look on my sons face last year when he met Spiderman ( a great cosplay guy at the LFCC) it is a memory for him that he will remember for ever. I can appreciate that it may feel to those without buggies or wheelchairs that they are nothing but a hindrance to everyone else, but we do all share the same interests and love of films, tv shows etc, so I would hope that events like this could be for all and that we can all be inclusive and tolerant of our fellow convention goers.

• Like 1

next people will want to ban wheelchairs too!! everyone has a right to be at a convention, even kids!!

Love the way that everyone thinks they have 'rights' to do things. No you don't. You have permission to do things based on a set of rules. If someone owns a venue or, in showmaster case, rents a venue, it's up to them who can attend (within limits of discrimination legislation).

Can't even understand why anyone would bring children of 'pushchair age' to events, surely they can't understand whats going on or get much out of it.

I know some chav familys seem to have kids in pushchairs (and with dummy's in) until they are about 10 but sci-fi cons appear to be mercifully free of these types.

I have no problems ith kids bing at events as long as they are leashed and muzzled :whistling: it only becomes annoying when the aprent seems to have no control of the kid who is running about, getting in people's ways and generally being a nuisance. I didn't see or experience of that thank goodness.

The real problem for me isn't prams/pushchairs or wheelchairs, it's pull along trolleys/cases. Those things are a nightmare because like rucksacks (another serious pain in the spam) the people with them seem to have no spacial awareness, or if they do they don't give a toss about who they almost trip or bang into and obviously it's down to that person to avoid any collisions. The increase nin the use of both over the last few years is becoming a real social problem. I've been known to just kick the trolleys. If I think I am in danger of falling by trying to hurdle or do some gymnastic twsiting avodiance movement then *** it I knock it out the way.

My brother used to be a bus driver and he wouldn't let passeengers wear rucksacks on the bus. take it off or you get off. You're taking up the space of two people and twist turn move and people sitting are having to shield their faces. I sometimes use a small rucksack as they are convenient, but at all times I remember I am wearing one, I'm aware that spacially I am taking up more room and if I judge that it may be a problem I will slip it off and carry it in my hand so i have better control of it so I'm not bumping and banging people with it.

Buggys, puchchairs, wheelchairs that are at the front aren't a problem, it's the things that are behind a person that are the pain to deal with.

next people will want to ban wheelchairs too!! everyone has a right to be at a convention, even kids!!

Can't even understand why anyone would bring children of 'pushchair age' to events, surely they can't understand whats going on or get much out of it.

On the one hand it's not that you always want to bring them, but sometimes you don't have an alternative, perhaps if you haven't been able to find a baby sitter, or can't afford one for example.

Whilst it does vary, for a full day out activity like the LFCC you may well bring a buggy for a child up to the age of 5, I've certainly been aware of parents with buggies still with kids of this age. I can only really talk from being a parent of boys but even from the age of about 3 my boys were into Superheroes, Toys, Cars etc, so there is a lot for them to see and enjoy at an event like this.

• Like 1

I've found it's not children at events that cause problems. it's intolerant adults who think they have the God given right to be at the front of the queue, speak to staff in a rude manner and generally moan about everything and saying buggies get in the way - in the way of what exactly? probably you running to the signing area to get the VQ's that you've been told to walk to get to!!. I'm sure all of you that are saying ban children may change your mind if you have children yourself.

My youngest was in his buggy at one of the events and understood perfectly well what was going on and the smiles on thier faces as they met some of the characters and corrct me if I'm wrong but don't alot of the stalls sell "toys"!!!???

Whilst we're at it why not ban children from toy shops because they get in the way of collectors.

I agree with goldengreen - if we don't encourage children to enjoy these events then where is the next generation of fans going to come from???

Rant Over! :smile:

Edited by dazzlerjames
  • Like 2

Oh I agree it should be family friendly and I don't mind people bringing kids to the events at all - if they can walk round themselves and get something out of it, and actively move out of the way if someone needs to get past. It was hard enough getting through the crowds when there's no backpack wearers (I wore one for a brief while on the Saturday after collecting it from the cloakroom as I needed to change outfits and couldn't spare the change to put it back in again) or buggies. I don't run. I queue. It's ridiculous to assume that everyone finds them a pain is somehow anti-children and make stupid comparisons like 'maybe we should ban children from toy shops too' or presume that we are the same people who moan about everything and are generally rude to everyone at the event.

..So they should be. Events like this are no place for babies who will cry and take up room when they're too young to even be remotely interested. Kids should be put in daycare for something like this... It's crowded enough without prams taking up room.

because this is obviously reasonable?? What about wheelchair or mobility scooter users - ban them too?

oh and the comparison with toy shops is because I did actually hear somebody in Hamleys say this once!!

Seriously, you're going to play that card now? Of course wheelchairs and mobility scooters shouldn't be banned too. They can pay for a ticket and get enough enjoyment out of it as they choose to be there and can be interested in the social/meeting guests aspect and the talks still.

To be fair, an outright 'ban' for anything is a little harsh, but there's nothing wrong with thinking it's not a place for babies/strollers. Don't lump all people who agree with that in the same group and act like we are completely unreasonable for thinking so. Like a lot of things, it's not that black and white.

It's just that events like this are for quite a niche crowd - family friendly in terms of atmosphere and over 18 material being censored, sure, but it isn't exactly what I'd consider a 'family day out' with, as you say, some of the people that are rude and shove, and all the queuing/huge crowds, heat, etc. I do think it is predominantly a collector's/serious fan event, hence 'signing event'. If I had kids that were very little I'd rather take them to places like zoos or the park or the beach, then take them to something like this when they are older and have expressed interest.

Shouldn't necessarily be banned, but I have no idea why anyone would want to bring a pram and a new born to this, they're stressful and busy enough as they are. Surely a babysitter would be a logical and responsible choice?

Let's make it clear, no one is suggesting banning kids. And I have no idea why wheelchair users are being brought into this?

• Like 1

i think Wheelchair users were being brought into it because the original article is about banning buggys and strollers not banning kids. I think common sense should be used and yes the events are crowded but there are many people who would not or cannot leave a new born or young baby with a babysitter or relative for a weekend (particulary if they are breastfeeding). An outright ban would be crazy as who's to say at what age kids get interested in these type of events - my youngest boy was only 18 months old when he attended his first event and i have a great photo of him handing a sweet to a stormtrooper and yes I had a buggy with me.

Generally people are reasonable but I've seen articles like this before saying how kids get in the way or make too much noise etc etc and for a supposedly welcoming group of people this is quite off putting.

• Like 1

I'm no great fan of kids but as long as they're reasonably well-behaved I have no objections - it's the parents who abdicate all responsibility and let their kids (who often don't know better) run wild who are the real problem. And I'm happy with kids in talks if parents are prepared to take them out if they become noisy and affect other people. And I also appreciate that some times you can't leave your kids with somebody for the weekend, for any number of reasons (including sometimes the intended 'sitter going down sick).

It's all about consideration and being sensible - some stroller/pushchair "pilots" are fine, and others are rather less so - but the same can be said about some of the people walking around without them too. If everybody applies their mind a little and tries to behave considerately, it shouldn't be a problem. (If you're going to ban folk, I'd rather it was the stinky soap-dodgers who got the red card :spew: )

• Like 1

I'm no great fan of kids but as long as they're reasonably well-behaved I have no objections - it's the parents who abdicate all responsibility and let their kids (who often don't know better) run wild who are the real problem. And I'm happy with kids in talks if parents are prepared to take them out if they become noisy and affect other people. And I also appreciate that some times you can't leave your kids with somebody for the weekend, for any number of reasons (including sometimes the intended 'sitter going down sick).

It's all about consideration and being sensible - some stroller/pushchair "pilots" are fine, and others are rather less so - but the same can be said about some of the people walking around without them too. If everybody applies their mind a little and tries to behave considerately, it shouldn't be a problem. (If you're going to ban folk, I'd rather it was the stinky soap-dodgers who got the red card :spew: )

Agreed - especially the last part! - there really is no excuse!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't necessarily be banned, but I have no idea why anyone would want to bring a pram and a new born to this, they're stressful and busy enough as they are. Surely a babysitter would be a logical and responsible choice?

Let's make it clear, no one is suggesting banning kids. And I have no idea why wheelchair users are being brought into this?

As I mentioned in my previous post it's not quite always as straight forward as you may think to get a good and reliable babysitter, so the only option may be to bring the baby , toddler or small child with you. In fact you may want to bring them with you anyway and make it into a family day out. Chances are most very young babies sleep through anything anyway. (Although , they do then tend to want to be awake when you go asleep which is the more challenging aspect !)

Edited by GoldenGreen