A bit confused on the autograph system

I like hugs in pics if I can, so I watch to see if anyone in the queue in front of me gets them and I always ask the guest if it's ok, I never just throw my arms around them (as much as I'd like to sometimes lol). Sometimes guests aren't comfortable with it, or they don't mind you putting your arms around them but don't reciprocate. This time around I didnt actually ask for hugs from anyone, I was wearing an arm brace and it was kind of awkward so I didn't feel comfortable asking. I've had a couple of fun poses at weekend cons where you have a bit more time and have often gotten to know the guest a bit more by the time the photoshoot comes around so you can judge if they'd be up for something different or not, but at a signing event I've never had the guts to ask for something different, I'm always too aware of how many people are queuing up behind me.

Well thats a good point. Get to know the guest before the shoot and you have a better chance of getting something more personalised. I have to say though, as a guy I feel it is more difficult getting up close to the female guests compared to girls. With two girls its a girly hug, with a guy the guest might not always know what they have on their mind. Personally, I would just like the photo to be a bit closer as it looks more natural and just looks better really. But I dont want the guest to feel otherwise. Thanks to @Queen_Sindel above for the advice about Nana and Chase as I can go there a bit more confident about a good photo now :)

Just be respectful of the guest, judge by what others are doing and enjoy. You won't have any problems. The hug with Amada Tapping I posted was the first time I'd asked for such a thing, just had to do it. The others just did the poses themselves.

Last time I saw Chase at a photo shoot...

ME: "Can I be reeeeeally cheeky and ask for a hug?"

CHASE: "Absolutely!"

*hug*

CHASE: "Now, did you want us to be hugging in the picture too?"

ME: :wub:

I'm definitely getting a photo with her at DSTL. Didn't last time she was here and totally regret it.

Last time I saw Chase at a photo shoot...

ME: "Can I be reeeeeally cheeky and ask for a hug?"

CHASE: "Absolutely!"

*hug*

CHASE: "Now, did you want us to be hugging in the picture too?"

ME: :wub:

That is similar to what happened with my Jeri photo. I asked for a hug. She obliged. I then had to explain that I meant for the photo :blush:

I have to say, this thread has completely re-ignited my appetite for ST London. I really had this impression that you had to tread ultra carefully in shoots and autos and make sure not to offend anyone or the people in the queue behind you. Maybe I play things too safe ha but it seems like the guests are actually (for the most part) quite up close and personal which is great to see. This comicon has taught me a lot and I hope others read this thread and get reassured the same way I have.

I always ask for a hug in my photos, I'd never just do it without asking first though...I'm super shy so I suppose I tend to whisper it like "is it okay if I have a hug?" and everyone is always very accommodating.

I've never been told no by a guest but I did have a disappointing experience this weekend.

When I went for my John Simm photo I asked for a hug and John was more than happy to do so, he put his arms up as did I and then as we went to hug for the photo the security guard looked right at me and shouted NO!.

I don't understand why that happened as John himself said sure and was 100% happy to do it, so I ended up having just a side by side photo with him and I left feeling pretty upset.

And now my HUG FEST 2012 has been broken...

(Could anyone on the Crew let me know why that happened? It was very upsetting, I felt like a child being scolded as the guy actually did shout...and whilst I was looking through the photo thread I noticed other people had gotten hugs & different kinds of poses with him which has left me feeling even more upset)

Edited by Kayla1991

I always ask for a hug in my photos, I'd never just do it without asking first though...I'm super shy so I suppose I tend to whisper it like "is it okay if I have a hug?" and everyone is always very accommodating.

I've never been told no by a guest but I did have a disappointing experience this weekend.

When I went for my John Simm photo I asked for a hug and John was more than happy to do so, he put his arms up as did I and then as we went to hug for the photo the security guard looked right at me and shouted NO!.

I don't understand why that happened as John himself said sure and was 100% happy to do it, so I ended up having just a side by side photo with him and I left feeling pretty upset.

And now my HUG FEST 2012 has been broken...

(Could anyone on the Crew let me know why that happened? It was very upsetting, I felt like a child being scolded as the guy actually did shout...and whilst I was looking through the photo thread I noticed other people had gotten hugs & different kinds of poses with him which has left me feeling even more upset)

Wow! That's not nice at all , I'm really sorry that happened to you. Usually the security guys that work with the guests are polite and I never have a problem with them. Don't let it put you off asking guests for a hug. Like everyone else on the forum said just judge by what has gone before you. For example I didnt ask Adam Baldwin for a hug because he was doing the same pose with everyone.

Yeah I wanted a hug with Adam but when I saw that he was initiating the same pose with everyone it made me realise that he may not be in the mood for hugging, although I did trip over his feet as he held my hand which meant he kind of pulled me into him and told me to take it easy, bless him!!!