A bit confused on the autograph system

I had a fantastic time at LFCC on Saturday - my first convention ever. However, I do feel that if you are a convention newbie you get very little guidance as to etiquette and procedures at events like this.

I have been reading around on the forums since I went to the event and I keep hearing about the guests personalising photos. As I understand it, this is when the guest puts something bespoke on the autograph. As a convention novice, I wasn't even aware some guests do that and others don't or some do it at a certain time etc. I didn't see any signs up advising about this either. So my question to you knowledgeable folk is this: What is the etiquette for personalising? Is it ok to just ask the guest if they can write something? What if that guest has a long queue - is it unreasonable to ask for something more lengthy than my own name?

One other thing - the VT system. I understand how it works but I don't understand how you get 'called' when your number is ready. I assumed you just kept turning up to the queue to check what numbers were being served until yours was up. Isn't that a bit inefficient though? Lets say I had 4 or 5 VTs with different numbers on. I would be forever going to all the queues to check if my number was up. And what if 2 or more queues were open at the same time for me? I could end up missing out on one or more cos I am in the queue for the other. Any guidance on this for my next event in London in Oct would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

That's why I buy a Gold Pass and join the back of whatever queue I need - feel bad for the people I skip in front of but guilt turns to glee once you realise just how many people are waiting! Photoshoot queues are even better - you just speak to one of the show staff at the front of the queue and they put you either at the front or very near the front. Bliss! :clap:

Re the VT system, depending on how fast or slow the guest is signing, the numbers will be put on the board at the end of where they're signing, eg. 1-50, 1-100 etc, but it will always show 1 to something, so you can join the queue anytime after your number is up. I had low numbers for the guests I wanted to meet on Saturday, but due to having back to back photoshoots from 9.30 to after 4.00, I didnt get to the autgraphs until much later in the afternoon when they were up to several hundred VT numbers more than mine, which was fine, it just meant that I could join the queues without having to wait for my number to come up. You can't really "miss" your turn if your number has been called and the guest is still signing.

As for personalising, some people like to get a quote from the film or tv show the guest is from, sometimes I just ask for my name and maybe the guest's character name under their signature, but sometimes the guests are very busy and don't have time to personalise and so you'll just get a signature and nothing else, but usually that's made clear beforehand. I usually carry a post-it note with my name on it so that I don't have to spell it out for each guest, it makes thing a little easier.

As far as personalisations it really comes down to the individual guests. Some will, some don't...generally there will be a sign if they won't stating so. If you are unsure, then ask them. They're only human beings, so can yes/no depending on the request. Just as long as you're polite and respectful then the guests are pretty accommodating.

I find the VQ system works very well. It really works just like a queue at a delicatessen counter, but they call people up in batches. You will never lose your space, so if you are number 44 and they allow numbers 1-50 up, it allows you to join the back of the queue. This helps manage numbers and allows people to manage their time better as it reduces queue times (around 10 minutes).

After a while after the queues get shorter (meaning tickets 1-75 have likely been up already) then they allow the next batch to join the queue. It's an efficient and effective way of managing queues and has been in place since time began.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first con.

• Like 1

It's best to approach autograph personalization like this - most will be happy to put your name. If you're lucky, they'll put something extra, be it a polite "Best wishes" or something a little more personal/relevant, depending on the character photo you've picked. If the signs say, "No personalization", it's best not to push it, but if you can think of a quote you'd like and there aren't restrictions in place, go ahead and ask. I got a great quote from Misha Collins that way, although I usually can't think of anything when I get to the desk!

As for VTs, the onus tends to be on the attendee to check whereabouts things are in the virtual queue system, although crew members will often shout out when they change the range. So yes, you may find yourself doing a few circuits to keep tabs on how the virtual queues are doing. But once the range stated includes your number, you can go to that queue at any time - you won't miss the opportunity to meet the guest, provided you get to see said guest before he/she leaves. Hope that helps.

I had a fantastic time at LFCC on Saturday - my first convention ever. However, I do feel that if you are a convention newbie you get very little guidance as to etiquette and procedures at events like this.

I have been reading around on the forums since I went to the event and I keep hearing about the guests personalising photos. As I understand it, this is when the guest puts something bespoke on the autograph. As a convention novice, I wasn't even aware some guests do that and others don't or some do it at a certain time etc. I didn't see any signs up advising about this either. So my question to you knowledgeable folk is this: What is the etiquette for personalising? Is it ok to just ask the guest if they can write something? What if that guest has a long queue - is it unreasonable to ask for something more lengthy than my own name?

Most of the time when you pay the person taking the money asks if you want the autograph personalised and will ask your name and write it on the back of your ticket. Some people also ask the guest to write a quote or something and sometimes they just do it themselves because of something you've said to them or whatever.

I take personalisation to just mean getting it made out to you with your name. If the guest is a big one and busy, you are most likely to just get your name. Many guests seem quite happy to write something else but I'm too shy to ask and happy to get whatever I get.

One other thing - the VT system. I understand how it works but I don't understand how you get 'called' when your number is ready. I assumed you just kept turning up to the queue to check what numbers were being served until yours was up. Isn't that a bit inefficient though? Lets say I had 4 or 5 VTs with different numbers on. I would be forever going to all the queues to check if my number was up. And what if 2 or more queues were open at the same time for me? I could end up missing out on one or more cos I am in the queue for the other. Any guidance on this for my next event in London in Oct would be appreciated.

Unfortunately it is a case of just walking around and seeing which numbers are up on the boards at the end of the queues. You can't miss your turn though. You can join the queue any time after your number has been called. So if you have ticket number 5 say, you could still leave it until the end of the day if you wanted to. Many guests go open queue during the day which means anyone can go to see them, you don't need a VQ ticket.

So if as you say your number comes up in two queues, just go to one and when you're ready, at any time during the rest of the day, you can join the other. It's quite easy really once you get the hang of it.

I've been a gold pass the last few events which means I can join any queue at any time. Really helps if you have lots to do. I had 20 guests to see and 13 photoshoots. Some even do more but it really helped, especially when I had 3 shoots all at the same time.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Everyone's pretty much covered everything above, but if I can just encourage one thing - talk to the crew at the event if you're unsure.

This goes on the assumption that you didn't, but anyone on a Virtual Queue would have been happy to explain the system to you, and also to clarify re: personalisation etc. In fact, they'll be the ones most in the know about what's happening regarding that with their guest.

Don't ever feel like you can't talk to anyone at the event. Things can and WILL change at events themselves from one hour to the next.

Thanks everyone for your prompt and informative comments. Things are clearer now. Re: the VT system I understand now - as soon as my number is in the 'range' I can go anytime after that. I just need to make a note of the signing times of that guest. For some reason I had it in my head that the ranges changed and if I missed my slot thats it. Thankfully doesn't seem to be the case!

As for personalising, I'm a shy guy and I literally froze when I met Jeri Ryan (I have been a fan of her since she began voyager) so I am not sure I could get the courage to ask for something just incase she said no then I would feel shy and awkward. I guess though if you are polite, what's the worst that can happen? I was going to ask Hayden to put on my auto 'from your hero, Hayden' - you know a bit cheesy but I just didnt have guts to ask!

Thanks everyone for your prompt and informative comments. Things are clearer now. Re: the VT system I understand now - as soon as my number is in the 'range' I can go anytime after that. I just need to make a note of the signing times of that guest. For some reason I had it in my head that the ranges changed and if I missed my slot thats it. Thankfully doesn't seem to be the case!

Exactly. There's no specific "slot" that you have to go in. Also note there's no specific signing times. Majority of guests will be there at or just after opening and will normally sign until closing unless they are doing a photoshoot, talk or at lunch/on a break.

As for personalising, I'm a shy guy and I literally froze when I met Jeri Ryan (I have been a fan of her since she began voyager) so I am not sure I could get the courage to ask for something just incase she said no then I would feel shy and awkward. I guess though if you are polite, what's the worst that can happen? I was going to ask Hayden to put on my auto 'from your hero, Hayden' - you know a bit cheesy but I just didnt have guts to ask!

Well I can't help there. I'd assume with Jeri it wouldn't have been possible but you never know. Sometimes I think the guest finds it interesting to write something different. Some have a set variation of things they put, some are more creative.

Best advice is to think of something in advance, write it down if necessary and ask if they wouldn't mind putting it on. If it's already written down it'll be quicker for them to copy but sometimes you just think of things on the fly.

Post-its could be the way forward if u want something specific. You can always ask "do you mind writing this?" .. saves you trying to say all of it :)

I think that suggestion by @jael001 is very good. Especially as through the noise etc you dont want the guest saying 'pardon' etc then you hold up the queue. Its difficult as I want to respect the fact people are behind me and have probably been waiting for ages. But on the other hand I have waited years to see this person and I want to get as much out of it as possible :)

• Moderators

It does save time, especially when it's so noisy .. some people are quiet, some have accents etc .. if it's all there on paper, you're more likely to get what you want. Even if it's just a name! :)

Also one other thing - what is acceptable on photo shoots? I guess its all about asking the guest but especially with a female guest (like Hayden *cough* very pretty girl) is it ok to put a hand on her shoulder or *dream come true* waist? Ive even seen a photo on here from a guy who held a guest in his arms. Ok, thats a bit rare but it would be awesome just to put a hand on them. Without bodyguards coming up and forcibly removing me :) After seeing Jeri's body guard, I was on my best behaviour for sure!

I've never used VT's, I usually leave autographs till the last minute like 4-5 or sometimes even 6pm and there's never usually more than 5 people in front of me in the queue. But i guess this isn't for everyone as some guest do leave early, but its never failed for me!

With VQ, most crew will try to give you an idea of when you are likely to see the guest however please note that it is not an exact science.

If you ask first thing before the guest has arrived a time cannot be given as they won't know how fast they sign.

Also it's very hard to tell when they will be back from talks/photoshoots/lunch and can be a shot in the dark. However as crew get more and more experienced they can normally judge when you can get in.

Also one other thing - what is acceptable on photo shoots? I guess its all about asking the guest but especially with a female guest (like Hayden *cough* very pretty girl) is it ok to put a hand on her shoulder or *dream come true* waist? Ive even seen a photo on here from a guy who held a guest in his arms. Ok, thats a bit rare but it would be awesome just to put a hand on them. Without bodyguards coming up and forcibly removing me :) After seeing Jeri's body guard, I was on my best behaviour for sure!

Generally if there is a no touching rule then you are informed before entering the photo shoot. If there isn't, then you have a few options. If you have a specific pose in mind then just ask the guest. ARems aournd shoulders etc, you can judge by watching the people before you. Normally the guest initiates that anyway if they are fine with it.

Edit: p.s. Jeri is fine with hugs in a photo shoot ;)

Edited by 1of2

Generally if there is a no touching rule then you are informed before entering the photo shoot. If there isn't, then you have a few options. If you have a specific pose in mind then just ask the guest. ARems aournd shoulders etc, you can judge by watching the people before you. Normally the guest initiates that anyway if they are fine with it.

If you have something a bit different in mind, if you can get the guests autograph before the shoot it might be worth asking then just to see if it's ok. Other than that, know what you want to do and quickly ask when you approach them. Most seem willing to do silly/different poses but not all guests are that comfortable. The standard hugs/back to back type poses are usually no problem but some people are amazingly creative. I hate photos of myself so just stick to the standard mostly unless the guest does something themselves.

As has been said, keep an eye on what the people in front of you do. Some guests will go to put their arm round you or whatever, some just strike a pose but don't mind if you put your arm round them. For some it's definitely no touching and you will be advised of that as you go in.

Just don't be offended if they say no to your suggestion.

Edit: p.s. Jeri is fine with hugs in a photo shoot ;)

Thanks for the advice. I know for jeri next time :) In october, I was thinking Nana Visitor or Chase. Just looks better in photos rather than standing 2 feet away from eachother.

If you have something a bit different in mind, if you can get the guests autograph before the shoot it might be worth asking then just to see if it's ok. Other than that, know what you want to do and quickly ask when you approach them. Most seem willing to do silly/different poses but not all guests are that comfortable. The standard hugs/back to back type poses are usually no problem but some people are amazingly creative. I hate photos of myself so just stick to the standard mostly unless the guest does something themselves.

As has been said, keep an eye on what the people in front of you do. Some guests will go to put their arm round you or whatever, some just strike a pose but don't mind if you put your arm round them. For some it's definitely no touching and you will be advised of that as you go in.

Any examples of guests having no touching? Just out of interest

Thanks for the advice. I know for jeri next time :) In october, I was thinking Nana Visitor or Chase. Just looks better in photos rather than standing 2 feet away from eachother.
Nana and Chase are both friendly and fine with poses.

Helen Slater. Apparently there was an incident at the beginning of her photoshoot where someone touched her in a place she didn't want to be touched, so understandably that request was made.

I like hugs in pics if I can, so I watch to see if anyone in the queue in front of me gets them and I always ask the guest if it's ok, I never just throw my arms around them (as much as I'd like to sometimes lol). Sometimes guests aren't comfortable with it, or they don't mind you putting your arms around them but don't reciprocate. This time around I didnt actually ask for hugs from anyone, I was wearing an arm brace and it was kind of awkward so I didn't feel comfortable asking. I've had a couple of fun poses at weekend cons where you have a bit more time and have often gotten to know the guest a bit more by the time the photoshoot comes around so you can judge if they'd be up for something different or not, but at a signing event I've never had the guts to ask for something different, I'm always too aware of how many people are queuing up behind me.

Of the ones i've had shoots with, just Hayden this weekend. Told you could put your arm on the chair she was sitting on but not on her. So it kinda looks like you have your arm round her. But she was nice and I'm totally respectful of the guests' wishes.

There have been issues in the past of inappropriate touching from some stupid people but it's very rare.

And then sometimes you get them like this....

LeaThompson%2520LFCC2011.jpg or AmandaTapping2.jpg

or

Untitled-8.jpg