Plastic Wallets sold by dealers

Hi all, due to the sheer amount of 10x8s I ended up buying at LFCC , halfway through Saturday we bought some clear plastic wallets from a really nice dealer at one the stalls by photoshoot A for a pound a wallet. I have put my 10x8 in these but could have sworn I read something negative about this on here in the past. Just wanted to see if anyone else stores their pictures this way and if any problems occur or if anyone else bought the same wallets from LFCC?

Thanks

Andy

:-)

I only ever realy use them for carrying them around at the event. I have one or 2 still in the holder but don't ever take them out as I think this can lead to autographs fading. Once I did put like 3 in the one holder and they got jammed. I know they are only made for one so was my own fault.

I bought mine Sunday and was £2. I had a feeling they had been bumped up cause just about all the other stalls were sold out.

Yeah I'm the same, I use them to transport them around the con. There was one nice dealer selling them for £1.

As for my autographs, they either get framed or put into a folder using Ultra Pro holder/sleeve things.

I'd say the main thing you need to be worried about is putting autos straight in there after being signed as the signature can stick if not left to dry.

• Like 2

I bought my first on Saturday for £1.50 (it was a 10x8). Every con I go to, my photos end up getting a little creased (with the exception of last LFCC when I remembered to bring a cardboard-backed envelope with me, but even that got a little bent). Well worth the money, because these are probably the best-kept photos I have from a con!

The only problem with it is that the glossy ones stick to the folder. Fortunately, I ended up with a 10x8 matte picture that I placed in the front, with the glossy ones behind.

As for where I store mine...the ones from this weekend are still in that folder, some are in an envelope somewhere, I'm not entirely sure where my Mark Sheppard ones from last year went :(, and I have two currently in my degree certificate folder lol. I need to buy a photo album to put them all in, really... So disorganised...

There is a concern whether some of the plastic wallets are too acidic to store photos or comics over the longterm. I bought a plastic boxfile a few months ago, and it has worked great until I bought a big Amanda Tapping Auto at the auction. I have noticed that holding an autographed picture in your hand while in a queue for a while, causes the ink to smudge. Hey-ho.

Yeah I'm the same, I use them to transport them around the con. There was one nice dealer selling them for £1.

As for my autographs, they either get framed or put into a folder using Ultra Pro holder/sleeve things.

I'd say the main thing you need to be worried about is putting autos straight in there after being signed as the signature can stick if not left to dry.

Well the good news is none of them are smudged in the wallets, they are all in individual ones. I guess I am more worried about any long term effects. I would ideally like to keep them in the wallets as I think they look really smart, almost laminated I guess! Would just hate to wake up one day and find the wallet has suddenly faded the auto inside

I have had one still a wallet and up on my wall for about 4 years now and still looks great. I geuss it is possible some of them may react bad with ink of the photo but I have been lucky. I keep some in a photo album but cause it can be sticky not that great if you want to take them out the album. Also some in books in polly pockets. I have so many now I just store them in a drawer. I realy need to get around to sortign them all out lol

• Like 1

I used these for a few years without problems but just a month or so ago after another event, a couple of my autos peeled off in places after getting stuck to these wallets. They had dried before I put them in there too. I've now decided it's not worth storing autos in these at all, not even short term (the ones from that event were only in there for a few hours).

If you look out for the dealer Franks Autographs, they provide archive polyester pockets which are meant to be a lot kinder to whatever you put in there. They also offer storage boxes and carry cases too.

It's worth having a chat with them but there's some info on their website about their products, and the dangers of the wallets you're using.

Edited by etmuse
Sorry, links to dealer websites are not allowed.
  • Like 1

your best thing for carrying around is the a4 document box, about a half inch deep so you can get loads in and they only £1 at the poundshops. the plastic sleeves are ok, but every time u slide an auto in or out it takes a bit of the ink of the auto.

I use one of these at the events to keep photoshoots and/or autographs safe in. I've been using them for many years and have never had a problem with them. I have a couple of thicker ones at home, they're slightly bigger and maybe an inch thick, and I store my stuff in there and they also come A3 size with handles which are good for bigger prints.

40996ac8.jpg

I actually use those slim boxes to store my animation cels in, so are great for storage...but have found that when carrying photos around, unless you pad the inside with bubble wrap, can allow the corners to dent as the photo can just freely move around the box.

I always use the plastic box files at the con for transporting my autos then USED to have a dozen or so in the hard plastic wallets on my wall. Until i spoke to the Guy at Franks Autos this weekend and realised he was right, if you leave them too long you can get the signatures smudged and they stick to the plastic. I am going to buy a lot more of the polyester ones of his in future they do not stick, and these are used by museums apparantly. i threw all my hard pockets away when i got home and found that a couple were starting to get sticky already only been up about a year. The normal plastic pockets have the same effect one i have of the duchess of York has done the same slightly but i managed to save it so wont use these for signed items although think they're ok for general photos really. go check them out they're only £1 a pocket and will protect your signed items better.

Edited by buffy2k

The hard sleves are ok for carring the photos home but don't store them in them as they are not suitable for event short time storage. I used a couple at MK and had trouble getting them back out again even a couple of days later as they were sticking.

I store all my photos in Ultra pro pages and have never had any problems. All their products are archive safe and I have been using them for my own collections for well over 10 years.

I have now bought my daughter a 12" by 10" photo album to put her photos in since one of her autographs stuck to the inside of a plastic folder despite being advised to buiy acid free folders, gives her the chance to write something beside each photo too so she doesnt forget where she got the autograph or picture taken

I've heard stories of the wallets fading or even peeling autographs off, but have never had this happen to mine. Before going to LFCC on Sunday I had a look a my other ones from '11/'10, and they're all in great shape, no issues.

The same guys sell them at all the events I've been to, they have an imressive collection of Golden Age/Silver Age Marvel's, and their plastic wallets can be found to the right for only £1 each.

It should be remembered that autographs in silver pen, although they look great and standout better, can fade or come away easier.

I think I'm going to buy a folder etc.... to keep them in, any suggestions?

I think I'm going to buy a folder etc.... to keep them in, any suggestions?

Any folder should be fine as long as it's one with four metal holder rings to give it a bit more support. I usually store mine in a plastic wallet with some acid free card behind the photo to stop it bending when storing.

I've used those plastic folders, since my first convention in '06. Unfortunately travelling home my Matthew Lewis autograph was attacked by condensation! I couldn't take it out of the folder as it was literally stuck to the folder... I put it in the airing cupboard at home for at least a week to dry it out. I think now I could remove it, because the writing has of course dried again, and no longer stuck, however the auto has been damaged and some of the writing transferred onto the plastic. However I think this was due to how I got it home, and overall I've not had issues with the plastic folders and my other autos since :)

At my second convetion in '07 I purchased this box to put my pictures and autographs in.

LFCC2012020.jpg

It's where they're all stored because I am still unsure what to do with them (photo album or portfolio etc.). They're very protected and it's good to transport around :)

P.S. sorry if the pic's too big, not got any editing software on my computer currently D:

• Like 1

Ultra Pro photo sleeves are great for storing autos. Archival and acid free. As long as the auto is dry before placing in the sleeve, they should be no problems. I have used them for years and all my Star Wars autos are still in top condition. No stitcking to the sleeve / fading.

The 8 x 10 sleeves, ideal for SM photos can be picked up off ebay for around £6 for 20 sleeves (plus £3 postage). In total, each sheet works out to around 40p each. Just search for Ultra pro sleeve on ebay to find them.

Ultra Pro photo sleeves are great for storing autos. Archival and acid free. As long as the auto is dry before placing in the sleeve, they should be no problems. I have used them for years and all my Star Wars autos are still in top condition. No stitcking to the sleeve / fading.

The 8 x 10 sleeves, ideal for SM photos can be picked up off ebay for around £6 for 20 sleeves (plus £3 postage). In total, each sheet works out to around 40p each. Just search for Ultra pro sleeve on ebay to find them.

Do you know if these are made in larger sizes? Have always wanted to scrapbook my collection but scared the autos will stick to the sleeves in a standard 12 x 12 scrapbook. The scrapbooks do tend to be acid-free, but I am still nervous.