Such a shame...

I agree, you are paying for an autograph and not a chat.

I have been annoyed in the past, when waiting in line, the person at the front has decided to pass on their life story to the guest.

If you ask a quick question, or tell then how much of fan you are, they tend to respond before moving on to the next person.

My only minor complaint is some of the prices, now i understand that the bigger the guest, the bigger their fee, but £30 plus, is just too much for me.

I think most people look at the word Con and assume it means convention. I think changes should be made. Instead of London Film and Comic Con or in this years case, London Game of Thrones and Comic Con lol, i jest i jest! For people like yourself changes need to be made. London Film and Comic Signing Event because certainly conventions are much different than signing events. And as far as the guests answering questions, of course they are going to answer them, they are normal people, they don't have this thing, this system in place, this pressure that most of you have to just go 100mph because oh my goodness, all hell is gonna break loose should you try and say hello to a guest lol. Oh no we can't have that. I think deep down what LFCC and most events for that matter are......is conventions. But the rules don't apply to standard conventions, they are treated as signing events and if you promote them as signing events then it's only gonna appeal to a certain crowd......like yourself nollins who really do just want the signature. I know myself the word Con is short for convention. I know it lasts a weekend, kind of like most conventions do, I know it looks like a convention, it's set up like a convention so for me and most other people that can think freely and act freely.........we're gonna treat it like one. You can call it a signing event if you want, you can dress it up as that, you can keep preaching along with that choir but the fact is it's a convention and most people will treat it as that. They will talk to guests, they will ask for pics at the table, they will enjoy themselves because that is what it is all about and there's nothing stopping you getting any signature.

If you plan in advance like with Gillian Anderson and you really want to meet her, you can do it. It might mean you need to stay all day till closing time or maybe even attend 2 days but it's been arranged so far in advance that it gives everyone time to prepare, prepare their travel arrangements, to save up money, book time off work, whatever the case may be. There's no reason why the people that go for the convention experience and those that go for the signings can't all co exist. It can be done as frustrating as it may be and that's the price you pay ultimately, it's your time. It's how long you are willing to stay in another city or stay all day or wait in ques all day. You're not going to get turned away. I think that's what people like you nollins have at the back of your mind, everything has to be done quick quick quick, if it isn't done quick enough I might miss out and that's simply not the case.

i must admit i had my whole day planned out, who i was going to see and get autographs from. it was my daughters birthday present to her and she had a list of who to meet and we planned it from there. it may of took all day to do,( was there from 9 till 6 ) but managed to meet all the ones we planned. think you need to have a lot of Patience with queuing etc, but still try and enjoy the day. it is definitely a one off experience.

No idea if anyone has posted this before but it is a fantastic article and covers a lot of what has been said in this thread!

http://suicidegirls....ews/geek/22107/

Great article. Not read that before.

Personally I've been going to SM events since CM4 in Milton Keynes (2003? or 2004?). I've seen things grow and change (maybe not as much as they should). Of all the guests I've met I've had only a very small handful of what I'd call bad experiences but the vast majority have been excellent.

It's true I'm there for the autograph, I don't deny it but it's not just about the autograph. I also know they are being paid to be there etc, but for me it's also about having the opportunity to at least say thank you for the pleasure I've had watching them on TV/Film etc. It's a small thing but as i said before, however brief or not the interaction, coming away with the feeling the actor has acknowledged you, given you a moment of their time makes the whole thing so much better. I am always aware of people queuing and try not to over do it but some actors love to talk too.

I actually normally think of something to say/ask in advance of meeting them and just try and speak to them as people. I do think that you get back what you put in. Not all actors are outgoing and if you say nothing, they will sometimes say nothing. Some get you talking and others kick in when you've asked something interesting. I found most last weekend instigated conversations themselves, others needed asking something. Sometimes it's not even about their work. I asked Jewel Staite what colour wellies she'd brought as she'd been tweeting about it and that got a laugh which led to a brief conversation about her plans while in the UK and some of the places she wanted to visit. Also asked her why she wasn't featured on the Serenity poster I had which got a very amusing response. Ben Browder I asked about he current "look" which took many of us by surprise.

But ask them something (don't just say "you're great" etc) and even with someone like Gillian/Jeri or David Tennant last year, you get a nice response and it really makes the experience. It's been a long time since I've felt herded through a busy guest, I really do think the system has improved immensely so that you do get some interaction. Obviously the quieter guests will be more willing to spend time talking and I've had some really interesting and lengthy conversations with some but with a bit of preparation and thought you do have the ability to make the experience that bit better too.

I've had good experiences with guests others have complained about. I really do think it's about how you approach them.

And before anyone says, I'm really not the most confident person. I don't find it easy to just talk to people out of the blue and I do still get a little star-struck at times but I came away from every encounter last weekend feeling I've met the person, not just stood in front of them and that makes getting the autograph all that much better.

I dare say some people just want the auto and I've seen people just say hi and that's been that. I like to try and at least ask a question and get that bit of interaction.

I also don't begrudge people getting photos. What does get me is people telling their life story and taking a long time when there's a big queue. By all means have a brief chat, but be aware of others queuing too. I don't like photos of myself much and the desk ones put you into a funny position so I tend to go for a nice pic of the guest signing if I can (and I never ask if there's a no photos sign) but I also plan my day and have never missed anyone I really wanted to meet but I'm also prepared to hang around all day if necessary to do that.

Ultimately you do have a say in how your experience goes and I've also found the vast majority of guests do try and make it a good experience too.

Edited by Rockstar6662

There's a fine line between guest signing speed and guest hogging attendees which I think SM have got right.

A simple bit of maths to give my reasons why:

1,000 people seeing a busy guest on a day, each one gets one autograph.

Now SM could rush the guest and you get an autograph only and no interaction so you each get just 5 seconds in front of the guest.

They could let you go through quickly but still have the time to say hi, have some acknowledgement from the guest, we'll say this takes 20 seconds.

And finally they could allow each attendee to stay and chat, plus get a desk photo. Let's say this takes a minute.

1st option - Every gets an auto but is feels a bit underwhelmed with the meeting. This takes about an hour and a half.

2nd option - Every one gets an autograph and feels happy as they got to chat for with the guest. This takes about 6 hours.

3rd option - Assuming NO breaks for food/talk/photoshoot and the show being open for 9 hours - Just over half will get an autograph.

Which from a fan point of view would you prefer? Obviously you would like the 3rd option but only if you are in the first half.

With the second option everyone wins. Everyone who wants to see the guest does, plus they get to say hi to the guest and from a business sense more money is made.

Also, the way you are allowed to take photos in the queue helps speed up the process as the amount of times I've seen people take forever because the camera isn't ready is unbelievable.

even though jeri and hayden who i met had short time to chat im greatfull i got to see them and have a little chat with them, it is always the top guest who every one wants to see most and are busy as hell dont have much time to talk later.

I respect that for example, haydens photoshoot she must have been so patient for that i saw numbers of saterday from over 600? wow

i like to say thanks to the crew for handeling this 'crowd'so as much as possible people got to get there shoots and autos

my first time to england and comic con was an amazing experience, and saw awesome people with lovely costumes i was amazed and would love to come again

now back in netherlands i have a lot of pics and autographs all in all great memories:)

This was my first con and i got photos with Gillian and Jeri and yes they felt rushed but i knew this was most likely the best chance i have to ever met them. And if the moment was brief, i got to say hello ask how they are and get my photo, i will now treasure that photo, and its something i can show others.

I can understand how it can feel like your just rushed through and its about money, but for them to stand about and get there photos took all day long and be signing autographs over and over, this surely must be a tiring job. I was shattered from just queing, but they had to stay happy, smile and sign for every person who turned up to see them.

No idea if anyone has posted this before but it is a fantastic article and covers a lot of what has been said in this thread!

http://suicidegirls....ews/geek/22107/

I've read it before, and it's a fine piece. Maybe they should reprint it on the back of maps/booklets they hand out at events - give people something to read in the queues and something to think about...

Let's look at this from the point of view of pure numbers. You wanted time to talk with Karl Urban, let's say four minutes, but if the crew let you have that time, then they have to let everyone do it, so four minutes times the number of guests that wanted his autograph... At that rate he'd still be sat behind his table now!

Yes, there is a conveyor belt process, SM want as many people to get their autograph as possible, not everyone comes back on the second day. As for the price, these guest don't attend because they get asked nicely (although I'm sure they are asked nicely), most of the attendees are happy just to be there, but you cannot please all the people all the time.

Let's look at this from the point of view of pure numbers. You wanted time to talk with Karl Urban, let's say four minutes, but if the crew let you have that time, then they have to let everyone do it, so four minutes times the number of guests that wanted his autograph... At that rate he'd still be sat behind his table now!

But the people who want or think you should have that kind of time wouldn't care as long as they got what they want.

The reality of course is that the longer each person spends talking it means less money is being taken.

I think they've got the balance pretty right at recent shows.

I was persuaded by a friend to meet Karl as he wasn't really on my initial list but glad I did. Admittedly this was on Sunday so I don't know what Sat was like with him. BUt there was a steady flow of people, though not too many when we went in and he spent time with each person and the queue kept flowing. I was able to have a brief conversation with him about Star Trek and came away feeling really good. It wasn't long, maybe a minute or so but it was a conversation and he shook my hand and it was a real experience.

but you cannot please all the people all the time.

This is the most important statement. You can't please everyone but they try to make sure as many people as possible get autographs but also give time where possible for that intereaction which others are looking for. In my view they seem to be getting the balance right in most cases.

• Like 1

It actually was a shame - I went for an actor who clearly was in for a little chat but was not allowed. Well, OK, we all know that saturdays are the busiest days, I should have gone for sunday where I heard that he was free to talk and give personalisations, too.

When I then hear that for that person have been given out way too many tickets for autographs and photo shoots on sautrday - THAT actually is unfair for the fans who queued for 2 hours on the friday to get the photo option, and went straight to his booth to get a virtual ticket on saturday...

Just saying, there might be room for improvements for swarmed guests and fans.