Talk Refunds?

I thought the talks were very bad value for money this year. The sound quality was terrible. My dad and I spent £80 for five talks can could not hear a thing in most of them.

There were loud speakers all the way around the room, but they were not used; the microphones kept breaking down, and even when they did work, there was a horrible echo.

If you can't hear what is being said, then we are not being given what we paid for, and I think it is reasonable to expect a refund. How would we go about doing this?

I second that. I went to Holly's talk and I couldn't hear a thing. I know that the people sitting next to me wanting a refund as well.

Holly was my main guest so I decided to pay for the talk but what a waste of money!!!!!!!!! Really unfair to ask people to pay £15 for a short talk where you cannot hear a thing!

If I had more money, I would have gone to morte talks but to be honest I'm glad I didn't and I'm sorry to read you spent £80 on talks.

• Like 1

I don't normally complain about events as I know the logistics that go in to them and how difficult some things can be.

But I have to say I have often found the sound quality below par. Went to to GoT talk today and paid £15 to sit 4 rows back where I still couldn't hear a thing. That's pretty bad when the whole point of 'conference' work is the fidelity of voice. In fact there is nothing else to worry about so it should be fairly straight forward to make it clear.

Obviously at an event like LFCC there is a lot of bleed from other sources, but there are still options.

I just hope it's not like that at Destination.

There were no problems hearing the talks at CE a few years back at CE which was also held at the Excel Centre so I would be hopeful there will be no similar issues with the ST event.

Have to say this problem with the sound at the talks does seem to be another recurring issue, I can remember being at one at Earls Court a couple of years ago which rapidly descended into farce, people were just standing up at random and asking questions while the speaker on stage was still answering another one (not out of rudeness I think they genuinely didnt realise the person was still speaking because of the background noise) then someone appeared up on stage and started waving a sword about (I think it was all part of the show but it was very odd either way!)

Problem is aside from hiring a second venue for the talks which presumably would cause a whole set of other problems, I'm not sure if anything can realistically be done about it.

Edited by Count Fooku

There were no problems hearing the talks at CE a few years back at CE which was also held at the Excel Centre so I would be hopeful there will be no similar issues with the ST event.

Have to say this problem with the sound at the talks does seem to be another recurring issue, I can remember being at one at Earls Court a couple of years ago which rapidly descended into farce, people were just standing up at random and asking questions while the speaker on stage was still answering another one (not out of rudeness I think they genuinely didnt realise the person was still speaking because of the background noise) then someone appeared up on stage and started waving a sword about (I think it was all part of the show but it was very odd either way!)

Problem is aside from hiring a second venue for the talks which presumably would cause a whole set of other problems, I'm not sure if anything can realistically be done about it.

Trust me, a lot can be done about it without changing the venue.

The Gillian talk I could hardly hear the questions or answers. Must have been the same for others as she was asked the same question 4 times.

Waste of £25. Won't be paying for talks again.

I have really been put off buying future talk tickets.

The sound has been an issue before, but I have never found it bad enough to complain about before. This time, however, I really think it was beyond a joke. What gets me is, that there were loud speakers in there and they weren't used.

• Like 1

On a lighter note, the rare improvised music number and Q&A by Anthony Head today was excellent, couldn't quite hear the questions (but I've had that before), we could hear Tony clearly throughout. It was a great way to end my day there!

I too was disappointed with the talks.

Game of Thrones talk on Saturday started 10 minutes late yet ended on the scheduled time. £15 for 15 minutes is poor!! Also sound was virtually non existant, I have now idea what was being said most of the time!

Hayden talk on Saturday was also poor. No organisation at all. No mic to pass round to ask questions, ended up with a que of people down the centre isle, blocking the view of the stage for many. Open backed talk area for a talk we were charged £10 for is also disappointing, many people stood and watched for free!

I have been put off future talks now after this!

• Like 1

You should have stood up and said something.

Do you mean me or everyone in general? If me then sadly not gonna happen,I am very outspoken and sometimes brazen when something I don't like upsets me but the fact I'm slowly going deaf really embarrasses me.I'm only 27.but it runs in my family and is in only one ear,so didn't want to kick up a fuss

Hayden talk on Saturday was also poor. No organisation at all. No mic to pass round to ask questions, ended up with a que of people down the centre isle, blocking the view of the stage for many.

Oh so that was that! I didn't understand what was happening when I walked around there and saw that line in the middle of the public.

I have felt for a long time that what the talks need is a compere to take control of the talk, direct the microphones to the questioner, help the guest when the guest can't hear or understand the question, and fill in if the audience dries up by asking questions him or herself. The chap who compered the Hayden talk today did pretty much that. Consequently this talk flowed really well. Perhaps he asked too many questions himself, but it was a sterling effort. The chap who did the Game of Thrones and X-files talks today also did a good job. A pity that neither of them were at Gillians talk yesterday, this talk was crying out for someone to take control. Sound was much better today but that could of been because the hall wasn't so busy. Since there are now more paid for talks the quality of talk needs to be improved, I think a compere may be the answer.

The Gillian talk I could hardly hear the questions or answers. Must have been the same for others as she was asked the same question 4 times.

Waste of £25. Won't be paying for talks again.

Yep i completely agree with this. I thought the Gillian talk would be one off the highlights of the day, but it was awful! Complete lack of organization.

This was the first time and probably the last time i'll ever pay for a talk.

Even though I loved it being in Olympia more than EC for various reasons, the persistant problem STILL is the outside noise of the con compared to the volume and clarity of the sound system for the talks.

I went to the free Dredd panel today and that was it, but it made me glad I didnt pay for any talks. I was on the side right beside a couple of speakers and I could hear words but not what they were :P Had to really strain to hear anything and lip read as much as I could from where I was. And I am not hard of hearing at all.

I know it really comes down to the venue but if paid talks are the way the events are going? PLEASE find a way to segregate the talks to other rooms or far enough away from the main bustle of the con to at least cut down some of the noise. Wont be paying for any talks till this happens. I'm usually pro-SM in everything I say but this is still one of a few issues that bugs the hell out of me.

I know it really comes down to the venue but if paid talks are the way the events are going? PLEASE find a way to segregate the talks to other rooms or far enough away from the main bustle of the con to at least cut down some of the noise. Wont be paying for any talks till this happens. I'm usually pro-SM in everything I say but this is still one of a few issues that bugs the hell out of me.

It's not the venue, a decent sound engineer should be able to make the talks clearly audible. It's not like there are instruments to contend with...

CE had raised seating though didn't it? It was arranged like a mini theatre, very impressive, rather than just like a school assembly.

I think there were smaller suites at olympia, perhaps they could be used for talks. Or upstairs.

Yeah it is the venue too, As it's just one big hall (especially at EC) that just fills with and bounces sound around and the talk areas have NO shielding from that really. The height of the walls VS the height of the building the sound is bouncing around is such a mis-match.

But yes, better sound equipment would be a great addition.

What?! Anthony did a talk? Where on earth was this advertised? I get the showmasters Tweets sent straight to my phone and never received anything. Got the tweet about Frank Spotniz but not Anthony! I'm gutted!

Yeah it is the venue too, As it's just one big hall (especially at EC) that just fills with and bounces sound around and the talk areas have NO shielding from that really. The height of the walls VS the height of the building the sound is bouncing around is such a mis-match.

But yes, better sound equipment would be a great addition.

Couple of speakers on the floor in front of stage pointing at the audience would help loads. The side ones are fine for further back but the front had nothing and something just boosting the front would make a huge difference.

Thought it was horrible that the guests were so far from the audience and sat behind a table. Much prefered last year where there were chairs on the stage, front row was a more respectable distance from the stage and many of the guests prefered to stand and wander around a bit. But no doubt there were reasons why it set up that way. Just a pity a decent sound engineer hadn't laid the speaker system out effectively.

• Like 1