Bad photos from photo sessions

(But I can see you'd be surprised if you'd been expecting a jaffa costume.)

Showmasters did say "Chris Judge in full make up and costume. He will even have his Staff Weapon!", so it's easy to see how people were expecting him in full make up and costume

... as soon as the sun started shining through the roof things went a bit...

... I don't want to blame the photographer for the naff ones..

This should have been foreseen when siting the area and a false ceiling considered!

Who else can you blame for incorrect exposure? Any experienced photographer will notice a tiny change in the light - in front of him, let alone on his camera playback.

I was quite disappointed by the quality of the 'costume' chris Judge was meant to be wearing, I understand that maybe they can't sell anything with the SG1 logo on or something ( i don't know) but it really wasn't a costume, i'd seen better cosplayers, no headpiece and his jacket looked a mess!

But i would have regretted not getting it so... you can't win them all i suppose!

Wasn't it the same price as non-costume photo, though? I thought it was just a nice bonus - and I don't think there's much fancier you could get with green BDUs and jacket over a black t-shirt, patches notwithstanding. (But I can see you'd be surprised if you'd been expecting a jaffa costume.)

(I'm still totally blown away by what a nice guy he is!)

not checked but i think was slightly more expensive, but was sold as full costume and make up, i didnt see any make at at all regardless of what you think full costume would be, something mre than a plain green jump suit in my head but thats me, I have heard that the guy providing the screen used costume was told not to bother late on, not sure why, maybe there is logo rights issues? but even without the logo more costume could of been done than just the jump suit, and what was the make up?

I was expecting sg1 uni, like what he was wearing but just like an above post said, green jump suit and his staff, I think a normal shoot was £15 or £20, I think the costume shoot was £25, but I could be wrong

Yep, I'm afraid 3 out of my 4 photos in area D were a bit washed out. First time this has ever happened and I've been going to SM events for many years now. According to a reliable source, the test shots had been fine but as soon as the sun started shining through the roof things went a bit Pete Tong. A great shame.

That would possibly explain it. The sun did keep coming in an out and you wouldn't need much change in ambient lighting to set the balance of the initial test shots off.

It caused me problems moving between the main hall and the auto area with my camera resulting in some photos not being right as I sometimes forgot to compensate for the changes in lighting this caused. Pity the guy didn't notice on his screen that the balance was off and correct on the fly.

My Shoots of Gillian Jeri and Hayden where all nice (taken by Mal If I remember correctly) My Jewel was a little over exposed of my 2 Holly Shoots the Saturday one was worst I look like an Albino and Holly like she has just run a Marathon, the Sunday Shot was slightly Better.

Edited by scifisteve

All of my shoots were fine that I got back. I always ask for portrait photos now as you get more for your money I feel. However, there was a problem with my Gillian Anderson print not coming back or getting lost or whatever. Does anyonw know how long it normally takes for a re-print to happen (if needed) and be posted out? I left my info and address with someone already, just wanting to know to get an idea whats happening.

I think that there should be a choice when you buy your shoot, to say I would like all my photos in Potrait, (so at least theres more than just head and sholders on the photo) or standard head and sholders. I know you can ask the photographer but it feels a bit akward sometimes telling them what to do. Danielle is amazing.

• Moderators

I think that there should be a choice when you buy your shoot, to say I would like all my photos in Potrait, (so at least theres more than just head and sholders on the photo) or standard head and sholders. I know you can ask the photographer but it feels a bit akward sometimes telling them what to do. Danielle is amazing.

The number of people that want specifically one way or the other are very small though. Not sure it needs a whole system implemented for it. You shouldn't feel awkward asking - they're used to it!

The number of people that want specifically one way or the other are very small though. Not sure it needs a whole system implemented for it. You shouldn't feel awkward asking - they're used to it!

I saw the guy in area A asking people in costume if they wanted a portrait shot to fit their costume in. That was good of him, some people are just too shy to ask!

My Nicholas Lea photo and Jewel Staite (even though he took 2) didn't come out very good either. Think it's cause of the blue backgrounds used. They're not good. And too far away. I'm used to close ups. Think it has to do more with the photographer they use x

The light blue background used for Jewel Staite's pictures on Sunday was AWFUL! Everyone looked washed out and sweaty!

Just scanning in my photos, and so far every single one has a line right across the image in exactly the same place.

Its not visible to the naked eye, so im assuming its one of the rollers/wheels that pulls the image along in the printers that the scanner is picking up :grump:

Mine came out alright, but not the best expressions from myself lol. I would though like to request that next time, the photographers all indicate in some way with a count down, 'smile' comment or something when they are about to take the photo as I often stood for what felt like an age then the photo would be taken with no warning and I'd be stood feeling awkward waiting with the guest. Gates even made a comment about it when I was stood with her...

In regards to the portrait/landscape issue, maybe the photo areas could have a simple sign on each of them to state that attendees are welcome to specify the layout? Might make shy folks more comfortable asking and those like myself who just didn't consider asking, to do so. Just a thought anyway :-)

Edited by PrincessDrusilla

not visible to the naked eye, so im assuming its one of the rollers/wheels

Try holding the print up to the light and looking more or less along it at a very shallow angle. This may make it show to the naked eye. Also, can it be felt by gently passing your fingernail over it? (Make the outside of your fingernail go away from you). If it can be felt, the emulsion has been damaged at least to a certain depth.

All photographers were more than happy to do portrait photos when i asked this weekend ( Im incredibly small and theres hardly any of me in landscape pics) except for the chap in photoshoot D. He did do them . . . after a moan <_<

Every photo I had taken with Gillian, Hayden and Holly came out perfect. As I'm so tall the photographer took both Landscape and Portrait photos when I was with GIllian & Holly. I was lucky enough to have them all printed out. Double for my money. Very happy.

2 photos with Mrs Anderson - I will treasure them both :))

Thanks to the SM staff who organised the queues in photo area A (sat) and photo area B (sun).

The Adam Baldwin shoot on Saturday was really bad. The organisation was shocking, we were kept waiting for an hour with no staff telling people what was going on. It was the worse part of the event for me, cus I was there for one day, losing that hour was a nightmare. Showmasters should know better by now and should know not to put staff in charge of the photoshoot queue who cannot talk loudly to the people waiting. The people in charge of the Hayden and Charles queues were loud and organised and did their jobs really well. Anyway, enough bitching about that.

Adam Baldwin was a good sport and did a funny pose for me, but when I saw the photo I was really disappointed with the quality compared to the Hayden and Charles ones I had done earlier. The lighting was off, it was too bright and had lots of empty space. At the end of the day this is all down to the photographer. If he is a professional he should know better and I don't expect showmasters to be charging for poor quality photos. Hopefully they'll take note of it all and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Bitching over. :D

I only got 2 photo shoots and they were ok. Chris Judge one I am looking very shiny and I do hate when it is a close up of your face. I would have loved to get the one in costume but from what I have seen on the past it's not realy worth it cause you still get the up close pics that cut out the costume. Was the same when you could get your picture with Christopher Lloyd and the delorean but you didnt realy see the car. SM have always done it that way. I do think they should warn people about it to save dissapointment.

I only got 2 photo shoots and they were ok. Chris Judge one I am looking very shiny and I do hate when it is a close up of your face. I would have loved to get the one in costume but from what I have seen on the past it's not realy worth it cause you still get the up close pics that cut out the costume. Was the same when you could get your picture with Christopher Lloyd and the delorean but you didnt realy see the car. SM have always done it that way. I do think they should warn people about it to save dissapointment.
Mine was taken in portrait (I didn't request it but was going to), and zoomed out so the costume was on display. When I collected it I noticed that all of the others still awaiting collection were also portrait, apart from one.

I had about 14 shoots over the weekend & the out of them about 3 were all over exposed, all taken by the same photographer! So much so that i ended up with a reshoot for Holly Marie Coombs (thanks to the very helpful crew member, who couldn't apologise enough & sorted it out) ... the original shot was so pale we looked liked ghosts!

Obviously it was a very busy show with lots of shoots, but surely checking the camera & doing test shots beforehand would mean these problems could be avoided!!

My Nicholas Lea photo and Jewel Staite (even though he took 2) didn't come out very good either. Think it's cause of the blue backgrounds used. They're not good. And too far away. I'm used to close ups. Think it has to do more with the photographer they use x

The light blue background used for Jewel Staite's pictures on Sunday was AWFUL! Everyone looked washed out and sweaty!

My Jewell one from Saturday has the blue background but it's not as bad as my Nick Lea. I had 2 printed off for Jewel. Only difference is that she's smiling more in one than the other x