Bad photos from photo sessions

My partner has waited a long time to get a pose photo, today, with great anticipation he got his voucher, too it to see Magnus who was appearing in full costume.

Photo taken and all seemed of until after a 3 hour wait while the photos were rushed to boots (honestly, have you not heard of on site printers like other conventions have) I LU to find that there was a poorly framed shot that missed out moist of the costume.

I ask, what is the photographer thinking when an actor turns up in costume.... Hmm... I'll just photograph the chest upwards.... Quite obviously yes.

The £25 paid is quite honestly with the photographers skills and the fact that you have to rely on boots is the biggest con going.

We lodged a compliant with the organsors boot only to be told, "that's the way it goes and nothing can be done"

Whilst I'm. It expecting the world and understand the event is really busy (I've attended enough of them) I would wish that the photographers would take the initiative to take a picture in more than just chest up especially when an actor appears in costume.

Secondly, You really do need to look at on site instant printers...

Edited by 1of2
Mentioning other events
  • Like 2

Sometimes it may be possible to bring the guest back for a reshoot (if they are available and there is time). With a costume shoot, that complicates things. I'm not sure who was on the organisers booth today. Did you speak to someone in a red shirt?

There were onsite printers at the event. It is something that was recently introduced at the previous event.

I have edited your post. Sorry but it is against forum rules to mention non-SM events.

I was also a bit unhappy that he made the effort to wear his ring gear and it's not shown in the photo, he just looks naked - not that that's a bad thing but if he's made the effort to do this for guests it should have been in the photo.

Thanks for the reply and please let me appologise for mentioning another event, I'm new to the forum,

We spoke to a person in a blue shirt and didn't really get much help, we are coming back tomorrow (Sunday) so may seek out a red shirted crew member. Magnus is appearing tomorrow so there is some hope.?!

From personal expirience, seeing the photos unpacked from a photo wallets from high street chemist leads to the impression that photos were not printed on site!

I know that alot of effort goes into arranging an event that would drive most people insane but little things that get missed like this spoil an event for visitors.

A photo I had today had an awful lot of... sky. The photos and editing didnt seem up to par as it was at Collectormania Milton Keynes but I can understand if they were just trying to get through them all as quickly as possible. Although, what was about a 5 hour gap between the shoot and picking up the print seemed like enough time to make some sort of improvement...? But I appreciate they're trying to get out all/as many photos as possible for people to pick up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and please let me appologise for mentioning another event, I'm new to the forum,
Not a problem.

We spoke to a person in a blue shirt and didn't really get much help, we are coming back tomorrow (Sunday) so may seek out a red shirted crew member. Magnus is appearing tomorrow so there is some hope.?!
To be honest I'm not sure what can be done but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

From personal expirience, seeing the photos unpacked from a photo wallets from high street chemist leads to the impression that photos were not printed on site!
Sorry that was bad wording on my part - I was just mentioning that there is/was onsite printing that you were not aware of. Onsite printing has only recently been introduced, and is being 'filtered' in. Some photo shoots are still being taken to a lab for printing. Sorry bad wording on my part - I was just mentioning that there is/was onsite printing that you were not aware of.

Well when we spoke to Jason and asked after 4 and hlaf hours where the Ben Browder pictures were he told us he was gonna knock the printing at the con on the head,,I dont know if he just said that in frustration cause there were a lot of people moaning at him about photo collection.....

I really felt sorry for a lady that picked up her photo from the Karl Urban session only to find her eyes were shut in the photo. I thought that kind of thing was usually caught at the time and the photo retaken.

Hope she is attending tomorrow and is able to get another chance at getting her photo taken.

The photoshoot page has the following:

http://londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=items&cid=28&id=111&Itemid=41

What happens if it doesn’t come out for some other reason?

This is highly unlikely, however if problems should occur then there are many ways we can improve the image to remove imperfections and if you are still unhappy with the results then you will get a full refund.

Edited by Cube1701

Only real complaint I had re photos was the awful lighting on my Nicholas Lea photo (and to some extent on Adam Baldwin). If I have too much "sky" then I will deal with that ony my pc when I upload at some point.

I wasn't sure whether the light issue was because the photos were rushed out late, but from reading on here it seems like it was actually a venue lighting issue. My other photos came out well (or so it seemed when I picked them up). Again, I am sure they will look at this at some point in the future, but obviously tomorrow the event is still running and I hope they got it fixed for you guys getting photos tomorrow so you get the best photos possible :coolthumb:

For this I would be glad; a friend of mine works in the R&D section of one of the leading producers of the expensive on-site printers. Whilst the official company line is that their current printers are as good as lab printers, privately he will concede they are not. (My eyes agree with him.) They're getting there, but not yet. Another concern would be that these devices work best when they are used regularly and preferably static or semi-static. In a fixed place at a theme park running pretty much everyday of the dear is ideal. Hammered hard for a couple of days, chucked in a van and bumped around on a 50 mile journey, chucked in a cupboard and left for a few weeks before being chucked in a van and bumped around on another journey etc is sub-optimal. With the best will in the world and all the design you can manage, stuff is going to get shaken, possibly out of alignment or into places where it shouldn't be, and a long-ish lay-off may lead to the odd thing sticking or gumming.

Of course, it may all work swimmingly, but give me a choice and I'll take prints on from professional lab equipment that's running everyday with folks who probably have a decent training and equipment cleaning regime.

My Nicholas Lea photo and Jewel Staite (even though he took 2) didn't come out very good either. Think it's cause of the blue backgrounds used. They're not good. And too far away. I'm used to close ups. Think it has to do more with the photographer they use x

Edited by sam1974
  • Like 1

I too have an issue with my Nicholas Lea photo (the others I had yesterday were fantastic though). It is an awful picture, with way way too much background and not good of either of us. I did complain and have been given the chance to get a re-take today, for which I am grateful. Hopefully as today's shoot is in a different area it will be with a different photographer it will be OK...it certainly could not be worse anyway.