CAMERA FOUND

I found a camera, not wanting to leave it or hand it in (being a non trusting person) so I took it home....not too keep

It was found against the wall of the halls on the outside of the building on the left hand side as you leave the entrance, I found it at about 4 0'Clock

Happy to send it to the owner but being a non trusting person don't think I will send to the first person who says its theirs, tell me the make of the camera, the name on the case and details of the pics stored on it.

Hope the owner sees this

Also hope its ok if I keep bumping this topic

Edited by delint
  • Like 1

Are you going tomorrow? If you do, find the really tall crewmember in the red shirt. I can understand being super cautious (I would be too), but I know he's worked many cons now and is Too Tall I think on the forum, so everyone knows him.

I can vouch for the crew being wonderful with getting lost property back to owners! I lost my purse a good few cons ago and they went to literally every effort to track me down and eventually did so by contacting the political party I belonged to at the time (my membership card was in there)! It eventually wended its way back to me safely :)

I agree with the previous poster who suggested looking for Too Tall tomorrow (ask a crew member if you can't see him) or any of the crew at the Organizer's Booth (they are all long-standing pros). If you are going tomorrow, please, please do bring it with you. That person could be there and be camera-less thus have a large part of their weekend ruined by not being able to record memories (I know it would be for me).

Edited by thefreckles
  • Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

any lost and found should be giving in at the show as most people that have lost something are still here at the show looking of what they have lost we helped 5 people over the weekend no one should take whats not theres away with them so many people do not come on here this should have been handed in to us or the Olympia staff .

jason

• Like 1

I found a camera, not wanting to leave it or hand it in (being a non trusting person) so I took it home....not too keep

What on earth are you doing taking it??? What you've basically done, irrespective of the intentions, is steal a camera. You've then come on a public forum, and admitted stealing it - and even stated that you went through the photos on it. Words fail me...

I suggest you put it in a jiffy bag and send it recorded delivery to Jason and Co... and next time, use your head.

• Like 2

What on earth are you doing taking it??? What you've basically done, irrespective of the intentions, is steal a camera. You've then come on a public forum, and admitted stealing it - and even stated that you went through the photos on it. Words fail me...

I suggest you put it in a jiffy bag and send it recorded delivery to Jason and Co... and next time, use your head.

Indeed. Can't help thinking the OP was going to say no-one had correctly claimed it/was hoping to keep it if no-one came forward and claim finders keepers. As others have said, many people at the con do not go on the forums and what if someone came asking for it the next day but couldn't have it returned to them as you decided to take it home instead? It does seem like a very big thing to manage to leave behind but still. The red-shirted crew members were official SM staff rather than volunteers (I believe) so it could have been given to them, even as a 'non-trusting' person. Hopefully you can get in touch with Jason/SM and they have the details for the person who asked about a camera (and it matches) or they do come on here.

Indeed. Can't help thinking the OP was going to say no-one had correctly claimed it/was hoping to keep it if no-one came forward and claim finders keepers. As others have said, many people at the con do not go on the forums and what if someone came asking for it the next day but couldn't have it returned to them as you decided to take it home instead? It does seem like a very big thing to manage to leave behind but still. The red-shirted crew members were official SM staff rather than volunteers (I believe) so it could have been given to them, even as a 'non-trusting' person. Hopefully you can get in touch with Jason/SM and they have the details for the person who asked about a camera (and it matches) or they do come on here.

All the t-shirted crew are volunteers; the people in the red shirts are the pit bosses and therefore more experienced crew. But, yes, everyone is to be trusted - they wouldn't be, for example, allowed to sit next to a guest all day if they weren't.

I promise you that all volunteer crew are far too knackered/busy to ever steal anything that's handed in! :')

Seriously though, I would have happily passed it onto Jason or someone else. We're all here to help, at the end of the day. A simple error on the OP's part.

For what its worth I have no intention of keeping it and have not actually looked at the photos yet and have emailed Showmasters, the reason I did not hand it it was due to the fact in the past I have had things go missing that have been handed in (and both times I found out on a forum that they had been handed in)

This would be the first place for me to look, in future I won't bother and will just leave anything I find for someone to keep

And as a keen amatuer photographer I have enough camera's thanks.

• Like 1

Or, in the future, you could just hand it in at the org table. I'm not doubting your intentions, but there's probably quite a few people who'd never think to check the forum. I know if I lose something, the first place I tend to go to is the org booth. And if you don't trust them, you could at least tell them you'd found it and give them your address or phone number to hand to the owner (I doubt they'd be able to force you to hand the camera over to them). I don't mean to offend you, but this is just not a very effective way of tracking the owner of the camera.

• Like 1

All the t-shirted crew are volunteers; the people in the red shirts are the pit bosses and therefore more experienced crew. But, yes, everyone is to be trusted - they wouldn't be, for example, allowed to sit next to a guest all day if they weren't.

What you don't know is that we hide pitbosses amongst the BLUE crew on different days LOL... :whistling:

delint:

With regards to camera.. Lost property is handed into the nearest crew member who passes it to Organisers Booth, To the Organsiers Booth thememselves or Directly to Olympia Staff. You should NEVER take anything away with you as technically you are stealing. I do hope somebody comes forward. Please consider sending it to SM's or Olympia themselves if you have had no response in the next couple of days. Safely packaged and sent via recorded delivery.

No one is suggesting you would wish to keep the camera yourself but as others have said if they lost something the first place I would check is the organisers booth, due to your lack of choice someone may have been sans camera for the rest of the weekend :(

well guys.... this

The definition of 'steal' is to take something which isn't yours without content or permission with the intention to keep and not give back the stolen item, he made the point 'not to keep' in his first sentence, give the guy a break!

All he's trying to do is help.

• Like 1

Yes I agree we came off a bit harsh and appreciate you were at least trying to be up front about it, but as others have said it really is best to leave it in someone else's hands even if you do not quite trust them, even if you just tell them you have it and give your details. It's more that the chance of the owner checking the forum is slim, but I think we do at least understand you were trying to do something.

well guys.... this

The definition of 'steal' is to take something which isn't yours without content or permission with the intention to keep and not give back the stolen item, he made the point 'not to keep' in his first sentence, give the guy a break!

Intent to keep or not, the camera has been removed from the venue with a now slim to none chance of it being recovered by the owner because of the OP's actions. At the end of the day due to his/her non trusting issue he/she has effectively ruined any chance of a reunion with the owner as long as it remains in his/her possession. Only a SMALL percentage of attendees at these events (considering the sheer numbers) are members of this forum and unlikely to see this post.

So, what - he's 'borrowed it without permission'??? Sorry, but no - let's call a spade a spade here. He saw a camera, he picked it up. He put it in his bag. Then he took it home without saying a word to anyone. If he was trying to help, he could have handed it in to the organizers booth. I mean, seriously - someone from SM is going to take it once it's been handed in? Give me a break.

For what its worth I have no intention of keeping it and have not actually looked at the photos yet This would be the first place for me to look, in future I won't bother and will just leave anything I find for someone to keep and as a keen amatuer photographer I have enough camera's thanks.

First : -

tell me the make of the camera, the name on the case and details of the pics stored on it.

So either you've looked at the photos, or you plan to do so as a condition of returning the camera.

IN FUTURE, as you say, pick it up, take it to the organizers booth, and give it to someone from SM. Simple. The first place for anyone to look for lost property would be the organizers booth; second, to ring Showmasters. To be clear, I'm not interested in vilifying you; I just honestly don't know what you were thinking.

Now please put the camera into a jiffy bag, send it immediately to Showmasters via recorded delivery, and let them deal with it from here. Thanks.

Edited by MikeDonovan

Then he took it home without saying a word to anyone. If he was trying to help, he could have handed it in to the organizers booth. I mean, seriously - someone from SM is going to take it once it's been handed in? Give me a break.

Sorry Mike I disagree, he came on here and told us all about it, not exactly the sign of a master crim! Plus he (the OP) explained he found the camera outside of the hall, so 1. any non LFCC attendee could have found it and 2. The guy was on their way home, so he did what he thought best, took it with him rather than leaving it in the street, went home, came on here and posted.

Now as everyone is saying; not all attendees read the forum...but the crew do. So certain crew members can feed this info back, e.g. Tally report of lost camera to showmasters with this post.

I'm sorry delint that you are getting a hard time over this, with everyone speculating on your intentions. I've seen similar threads before after shows (as the person in the 2nd post said). Sometimes it's hard to do the right thing and makes you just want to walk on by in future.

Can I just say, I left my phone behind on Sunday in my rush to finish collecting all my photos and leave and it was handed in. Thank you to all the crew for getting it back to me. Was quite annoyed with myself for losing it but so relieved when Stuart called to say he was holding it in his hand as we spoke. Thanks to all the crew.

From how people are going on at the OP, next time he finds that someone has lost something, i wonder if he will pick it up and try to return it or just leave it on the floor as all he seems to be getting is vilified, what is done is done, and has tried to do the right thing.

How about some usefull replies here such as addresses to send the camera too and possibly a thanks for trying to do the right thing.

• Like 1

If showmasters haven't been given the details of the missing camera by the person who lost it - then alas they can't contact the OP to bring this to a swift end.

More interestingly, if the camera was in Showmasters hands - instead of the OP - and no-one came forward to claim it - what would have happened to the camera then?!

I say lay off the OP - who will either hear from Showmasters or not (I don't see why the OP would need to send it to Showmasters now).

• Like 1