Event Feedback

• Photo problems - the scale of such an endeavour was HUGE - it's unfortunate there are those who suffered .. no-one was targeted to have these mis-haps - work with it! I'm amazed that such an operation was as successful as it was.

For me, it wasn't just the wait time - it was also the lack of communication. For the Adam Baldwin photoshoot they could have said something along the lines of "Sorry, but the Brian Krause still has a lot of photos to go through and it will take at least half an hour to go through them. Please come back at 4:10."

Would have been much better than having everyone stand around for an hour with no idea of what was going on.

With the long wait for Adam's photoshoot on Saturday I started to feel a bit claustraphobic so I left the queue, went and got some autographs and noticed Adam was still signing, so wound my way back to the photoshoot area and went back to the queue and got it eventually. When I left the queue I'd reconcilled missing the photoshoot altogether as I didnt feel I could keep standing in that queue any longer, but I'm glad I got it in the end. It's just a shame after all that that my photo came back over-exposed but I spoke to one of the lovely pit bosses at the photo collection area yesterday and they're reprinting it for me with the colour corrected so all's good :)

I have been to many cons, but this was my first Show masters event.

On paper this, LFCC 2012 looked like an event not to be missed, a wonderful collection of TV/Movie guests passed and present, something for everyone.

I came to the event with my wife and children, believing they’d love the event based on my previous Con experience, but I didn’t quite work out that way.

After Qing for sometime i was really disgusted to find out that after paying how ever many £ 10-30 for autographs, you can only actually get one thing signed. This left my young son (5) in tears.

Never have I been to a con where you are expected to pay each time you what something signed by one person. Now I understand there should be a limit, but to charge such a large amount of money per signature is greedy and ridiculous, especially when you take in to account the amount of money made from the autographs and photo-shoots (Many over priced) not to mention the entry fee (which was actually well priced).

I really don’t want to moan about something fee, but I could not hear a word (or sound) during Michael Winslow’s talk, but hey, I looked entertaining.

The organisation was a bit of a shambles and trying to collect my press pass a real mission. After eventually being pointed in the general direction of someone who may be able to help, the bloke I spoke to basically called me a liar and was rather rude about handing it over, even though I had authorisation in print from show-masters. As it was i ended up getting nothing in the way of quotes or mini interviews thanks to the colossal lack of help from staff who had no idea of anything.

My family and i ended up spending most of our time in the Comic Zone, away from the prices, ignorance and rudeness, and kids being kids, they enjoyed themselves looking at all the stuff the stalls had to offer.

This event promised so much, but i sorry to say, it failed to deliver, I really hope the improve things for the next event

N

It's a shame you were disappointed, but if you'd read up the FAQ information on this forum or on the website before the event you'd have seen that the prices are per signature, not per meeting, it has always been that way. A friend of mine was also confused as they thought it was a different price if you brought your own item or got a 10x8s there, but the price you're paying is for the signature, no matter what it's on and if you want more than 1 thing signed you pay per signature. I'm not sure what kind of events you've been to in the past but I've been doing events for nearly 10 years and it's been the same way at every event I've ever been to. Maybe in other countries they do it differently but I've never seen it done differently over here. Either guests sign for free as official promotion for whatever project they're promoting, or their autographs are charged per signature.

• Like 2

After Qing for sometime i was really disgusted to find out that after paying how ever many £ 10-30 for autographs, you can only actually get one thing signed. This left my young son (5) in tears.

Never have I been to a con where you are expected to pay each time you what something signed by one person.

Without sounding picky, these shows aren't 'cons', they are signing events, which brings to the next point, perhaps you are used to going to weekend cons, where autographs are included in the ticket price or something?

If you had been to ANY shows like this in the past, you would know that the price stated is always per autograph, and has been for many many years. It's not like you were deceived by that in any way, it's a well known and advertised fact

I'm sorry to hear your kid was upset. However, I'm a newbie to these things, and took my kid, and because i actually read the event information in advance (and asked when I didn't understand anything), I didn't make unrealistic promises to my kid, neither of us were disappointed, and we both had a great time.

Never have I been to a con where you are expected to pay each time you what something signed by one person. Now I understand there should be a limit, but to charge such a large amount of money per signature is greedy and ridiculous, especially when you take in to account the amount of money made from the autographs and photo-shoots (Many over priced) not to mention the entry fee (which was actually well priced).

Indeed - this does seem to be particularly naive (especially from such a 'veteran') - this is my 2nd con and yet I already have it ingrained in me that it's a 1 signature per charge deal (some comic creators being the exception). Did your kids get to meet the star in question? I imagined they did and hope they were treated congenially by whichever star (I've read plenty of good stories on here).

My kinds did meet the person in question, he was only upset as he couldn't get his item signed (well he did as i payed again)

Never have I been to a con where you are expected to pay each time you what something signed by one person.

Without sounding picky, these shows aren't 'cons', they are signing events, which brings to the next point, perhaps you are used to going to weekend cons, where autographs are included in the ticket price or something?

If you had been to ANY shows like this in the past, you would know that the price stated is always per autograph, and has been for many many years. It's not like you were deceived by that in any way, it's a well known and advertised fact

London Film and Comic CON

I'm not claiming to have been decieved.

I have attended other shows, and the sign per price has never been an issue.

Edited by DavidB
No mentioning other events on this forum - sorry.

It does sound stupid me saying this, but that name means nothing(technically) There are weekend conventions, and there are signing events, the difference being that a weekend convention normally has a ticket price(say £90) and includes autographs. These signing events have a minimal ticket price, and a price for each autograph you want.

I don't quite understand, you said that you've been to other shows like this, but you were disgusted here to find that you could only get one autograph per price?

• Moderators

Hi Nollins,

Sorry I had to edit your post. However we are not allowed to discuss other events on here as per the rules.

Regarding the ones you mentioned - I've been to them too, and they're a very different type of event from these particular ones. Ones like LFCC, Collectormania, EMS, and even some other 'signing events' from other organisers ALL price their signings like this.

I can only suggest reading up on an event beforehand and double checking all the pricing etc, instead of going along and being disappointed - especially if it's a different organisation running it. I wouldn't want to assume anything before going somewhere I'd never been before.

My only complaint is one of the backgrounds used for the photographs! The light blue one that was used for the Sunday photo shoot with Jewel Staite was HORRENDOUS! Every picture taken with that background made everyone look washed out and sweaty! The dark blue backgrounds used in all the other photos are perfect! Maybe find a way to make that lighter blue work better or something? I just feel that if I am paying good money to have my picture taken with someone, then I want it to look awesome. That's it from me! Other than that everything wasn't too shabby for me!

Hi Nollins,

Sorry I had to edit your post. However we are not allowed to discuss other events on here as per the rules.

Regarding the ones you mentioned - I've been to them too, and they're a very different type of event from these particular ones. Ones like LFCC, Collectormania, EMS, and even some other 'signing events' from other organisers ALL price their signings like this.

I can only suggest reading up on an event beforehand and double checking all the pricing etc, instead of going along and being disappointed - especially if it's a different organisation running it. I wouldn't want to assume anything before going somewhere I'd never been before.

I agree i should have read up before, it was a very last minute decision to come and i probably should have read up, rather than assume its the same as others.

Disgusted may have been a bit strong, maybe more disapointed, my day started bad with the rude guy which is probably what put a damper on my day.

i had a great time at show, but need to be organised more for photoshoots and collection of photos. had my 1st photoshoot with Hayden before 12.15, never got my photo back as it wasn't there when i went home at 4pm. must be a better way to get photos back in a shorter time scales. apart from that no problems.

Glad to say that the whole BO situation seemed fine on Sunday, glad I wasn't there Saturday now lol

Loved how friendly the guests where this year, the queue to get in was long, but fast moving so no issue there. I actually have my eyes open in every single photo this year for a change lol great to see that most stars were willing to have over the table photos this year. I paid for 3 photo shoots but was nice for my mum to get her picture with Kevin Sorbo too while I collected my auto later that day. Over all great day and much prefered the venue.

Down side and I say it everytime is photo collection. Is it really that hard to make it mandatory that ALL CREW WEAR GLOVES at the collection table? I saw alot of fresh faces handing out pictures now complete with extra finger prints..... Also if there was maybe smaller lower tables or rope acting as a barrier to the table with photos on (does that even make sense lol) so people are far enough away that photos aren't knocked off with bags, and people accidentally leaning on other people's photos on the table.

I had a great time and on the sunday whenever I q'd the crew there offered me helped because of my disability. Half my pictures had to be reprinted which I am waiting for but that wasn't showmasters fault as such. So I have no complaints and had a great time.

Lea

I have to say this event was a blast especially for games of thrones fans, we all knew deep down inside that an event this big with big names on the same day is going to have problems but for some reason they didnt bother me,Im just hoping that showmasters will keep growing there events with bigger names and much more space and work out all the issues that have been mentioned, all I have to say is that the photo shoots this year for me was great and we got through the lines really quickly and got all the photo shoots we needed also got all our autographs too keep them coming showmasters. The only thing of a problem wa the BO but showmasters cant do anything rwally about that its down to own personal hygiene but some people dont stick to being clean and smelling nice I feel very sorry for some guests that have to put up with it, but hay what can you do until these people realise that smelling bad isnt great then the situation will be solved. Have to say the dude dressed as Batman in front of the 1989 car on Sunday was great I tried to get him out of character but it diodnt work a professional from there but I like to say if he is on here you have your batman universes wrong you wouldnt know bane yet only bale of clooney would and you were keaton. But in all a great convention and cant wait for October roll on this big and better guests.

I agree i should have read up before, it was a very last minute decision to come and i probably should have read up, rather than assume its the same as others.

Disgusted may have been a bit strong, maybe more disapointed, my day started bad with the rude guy which is probably what put a damper on my day.

You weren't the only one to have encountered a rude crew member.

• Like 1

Hi,

The only smalll gripe is the Hayden and Jewel and Adam talks clashing on Saturday. But Showmasters had no problems with me using my tickets for Sunday. And Ben Browder was Sunday only anyway :D

AND no queue for Sunday which was great as I have Aspergers Syndrome and hate standing for too long!

Annaxxx

Edited by AnnaSun

Idea - increase the cost of entry by £1-2 for each day, and use that money for dolphin/other style banners placed at even points. Have those queue delineators (like in airports, the things that look like seatbelt material) to clearly delineate queues outside for entrance, and inside for tickets or photoshoots. These ones are £45 each, that should be easily affordable - given the number of people complaining about lack of signs and epic queue shambles, I'm willing to bet they would happily pay £1 extra. And surely these could be reused.

Er those are retractable advertising banners that you've linked to. I assume you mean something like this? Thing is, with only 2.3 metres / 7'6" of tape per post, you're probably going to need scores if not hundreds of them. That's a significant capital outlay (not to mention a fair amount of extra kit to lug around and store between shows). I'm surprised that the venue doesn't have a large stock of them that they can hire out to organisers, since you would have thought that they have some sort of call for them pretty much every week between one event and another.

2) with huge crowds, you can't always get to the front to see what the object/topic/person is. Given there are panels surrounding areas or as backs to areas (like guest signings), then find a way to mount A1 or A0 signs on top of those - they will be much more easily seen when above eye level and above the crowds

Yes, BIG signs with BIG Clear Writing suitably loftily suspended so all can see is an excellent method of disseminating information to the masses.

Just like to point out that I work for a company that has division that hires out a lot of barriers and event type stuff.....

Edited by Tanker Captain

I didn't have any particularly bad experiences over the weekend, but there were things that could have been done better. Again, nothing that ruined my enjoyment, but it did feel like Showmasters' lessons that had been learned from previous shows had been forgotten when it came to this one.

1 - No queue management at entrance for pre-paid tickets, until just before entry. Signs that were A4 and at shoulder-height on the walls, instead of being high enough for all to see.

2 - Gillian Anderson talk being recorded by several people - crew members not intervening. Hug request - crew not intervening. Sound on the mics for questions being asked - too low. Auction not being part of the talk, as previously advertised.

3 - Frank Spotnitz's signing not being promoted apart from a forum entry many people (myself included) didn't see till it was too late.

4 - The whole madness of "stand in between the lines of sticky tape" for the photo queues. There is residual tape on the floor of every venue we ever attend - how were we to know small pieces of tape were now being used in place of barriers? Bizarre. Oh plus the fact that some were so strict about us standing between the tapes, while others wanted us ON the tape.

5 - No-one knowing where the Gillian Anderson print was. Organisers desk sent me to the photo purchase desk, who then sent me back.

6 - Photo pick up. What happened to simple things like telling everyone to walk AROUND the photo table in a clockwise direction, giving everyone the chance to see the photos? Used once last year then never again. Layering the photos so we don't see which guest it's with, meaning we need to look at the whole table instead of knowing "oh that's for so and so, I don't need to look there." The white board, which was a good idea, but if it's not updated then it's a bad idea. People will think the board is definitive and go away if their photos aren't listed yet (despite the fact that they are already back and laid out).

7 - I don't want to criticise the crew member as she was just doing her job, but allowing Bernard's queue to be so massive that it then needed to be closed briefly, and turning away VQ number 56 when he's signing up to 330, seems mad. It was only a 15 min wait until I did get to join, but surely the queue should have been kept short, and then if low numbers like myself do turn up, we don't need to be turned away while number 330 gets a signature.

3 - Frank Spotnitz's signing not being promoted apart from a forum entry many people (myself included) didn't see till it was too late.

Anything can be announced on any day it was just pot luck if you saw that on the forum as I did when I checked my phone, If you had and x-Files poster or photo if not there were stalls were you could buy one then you could get something signed.

Edited by MICHEALS KILLER

This was my first LFCC in four years. Thought the venue seemed a lot more spacious than other shows I've been to which was a huge plus. the range of guests were great as expected. there were fewer comic stalls than i expected but i still managed to spend every penny i had. i arrived at 10am Saturday thanks to traffic delays and had no problem with the queue, though the option to pay by card for entry would have been handy. i didn't go to any talks or photoshoots so can't comment on them. the queue to get tickets for them and credit vouchers for autos was a shambles though. i joined the queue i needed as every one had different signs, watched every other one move quicker then was told all queues do the same thing. would it be a sensible idea to just have one long concertina'd queue to keep things simpler? Really that was my only gripe of the day, other then maybe Thomas Dekker being too pretty and making the rest of us guys look bad by comparison.

I attended on the Sunday and things seemed to run rather smoothly. Considering what a big guest he was Karl Urban took his time with everyone and personalised and was absolutely lovely. It was a great mix of guests and I really enjoyed the light and spacious venue and touches such as the Iron Throne photoshoot.

Only quibble was the truly appallingly sound set up at the talk I attended. I went to the Game of Thrones talk and could barely hear a word that was said. 25 minutes of barely audible discussion is most definitely not worth £15. If you're going to have talks in that venue either improve the sound sytem drastically or make them free.

I have the same quibble about the talks. Me and my sister attended the X Files talk yesterday afternoon and the woman Infront of us was clearly videoing it on her iPod/mp3 and no one said anything. At one point, the mic runner actually sat next to her has she asked her question. And even then, did nothing. X

Edited by sam1974