Event Feedback

OK Saturday was my first ever day at a Con I did go Friday but we won't count that. Anyway I was on a gold ticket and had a very good time and did nearly all of the talks on Sat around my shoots which is kinda the point of gold from what others have said.

I came in costume which made things rather warm to say the least but I expected this with Olympia been a big greenhouse so a decent antiperspirant and plenty of water relieved this to some extent. It was very busy but I expected this due to the class of some of the guests so this can't really be classed as a negative as the balcony provided respite.

The only negatives I have is that the gold facilities and queues were not clearly marked in some instances especially on entry.

Sunday was a lot less stressful!

I thought the quality of the merchandise stands have dropped since I last attended a Showmasters event, and only mainly seem to deal with photographs. The amount of stalls was fine, but there were hardly any stalls dedicating to selling DVDs or blu-rays

Really? I saw tons...

Idea - increase the cost of entry by £1-2 for each day, and use that money for dolphin/other style banners placed at even points. Have those queue delineators (like in airports, the things that look like seatbelt material) to clearly delineate queues outside for entrance, and inside for tickets or photoshoots. These ones are £45 each, that should be easily affordable - given the number of people complaining about lack of signs and epic queue shambles, I'm willing to bet they would happily pay £1 extra. And surely these could be reused.

Er those are retractable advertising banners that you've linked to. I assume you mean something like this? Thing is, with only 2.3 metres / 7'6" of tape per post, you're probably going to need scores if not hundreds of them. That's a significant capital outlay (not to mention a fair amount of extra kit to lug around and store between shows). I'm surprised that the venue doesn't have a large stock of them that they can hire out to organisers, since you would have thought that they have some sort of call for them pretty much every week between one event and another.

2) with huge crowds, you can't always get to the front to see what the object/topic/person is. Given there are panels surrounding areas or as backs to areas (like guest signings), then find a way to mount A1 or A0 signs on top of those - they will be much more easily seen when above eye level and above the crowds

Yes, BIG signs with BIG Clear Writing suitably loftily suspended so all can see is an excellent method of disseminating information to the masses.

Just to be clear - it was an idea, not something put forward as a fait accompli ;-). The best and cheapest thing would be to have clear instructions given to the poor volunteers, and then stick to the agreed system. The guy doing the queue in photoshoot A on Sunday easily organised people into a snaking queue and regularly had volunteers walking up and down to ensure gaps between the rows. Today at the entrance there were plastic barriers with tape between them - that would do, it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive as long as it does the job.

If there's nothing at all in terms of signs, barriers or clear instructions, then the unorganised chaos puts people off coming.

Gotta say though SM - Sunday (today) was a whole different kettle of fish! The plastic barriers with tape for entrance queueing - great, just what we needed :thumbup: . Photo shoots were done much better - the photoshoot A area was by number and crucially, the bag drop there was actually right this time, as the queue snaked past the table (Saturday you had to leave your bag on the table and walk away to join the queue).

Even the photo collections on Sunday were better, apart from Anthony Stewart Head's. That's why it was such a shock almost, to have cows standing chewing the cud at the front, blocking people getting their photos. All day Sunday until then, it had been quiet enough to easily go up and see if yours was there, or you looked and then walked away to let someone else see.

It was like Saturday was showing how bad things could be, and Sunday how great! Much better job today, thank you :clap: .

• Like 2

I got a conversation out of Hayden. We spoke about scream 4 because she loved the photo I'd taken in :-) its of her and Rory culkin and she was like oh my goooddd Rory! Haha. Then we spoke about the fact her demise was poop :-p!

Photoshoot tables Wtf? There needs to be a better system for this it was shambles! Photos were separated and taking ages and just..Urgh! Was also annoyed at the attendees standing waiting for their photos wtf. If they're not there why not let others in incase there's are?

Danielle was great got a wee video message from her :-p.

All in all it was a really great day, only real gripe was the epic fail that was the entrance queue.

I must defend Showmasters on this one (and I was caught up in the chaos that was the entrance!) this was the Olympia staff causing the chaos NOT Showmasters.........and it got controlled pretty quickly to be honest. Sunday the Olympia staff were more prepared and didn't have a random person with a mega phone redirecting people at random ........have to admit, I loved the bigger venue, however, the Earls Court staff might be a bit jobsworth but they are more used to this event whereas I don't think Olympia staff were.........pretty sure Showmasters will have sorted them out though.

I wasn't in the early queue yesterday so have no personal input, but it seems like people are indicating that at least some of the queue issue was down to the venue staff. Must admit, I did see a few of them during Saturday standing around at exits etc looking rather bemused, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Would love to see the same venue next year as the extra size definitely helped - no way could Earls Court have coped on Saturday. Though TFL did not help with the rubbish tube every 20 minutes!

Photo distribution table hogging was a nightmare.

Was not there today but seems like it was much better so big thumbs up to hear that :thumbup:

Everyone obviously learn a lot from yesterday and put it into practice. The only thing to add to that, if it worked write it down, remember it, and don't change it if you go back there next year...

All in all it was a really great day, only real gripe was the epic fail that was the entrance queue.

I must defend Showmasters on this one (and I was caught up in the chaos that was the entrance!) this was the Olympia staff causing the chaos NOT Showmasters......

That may be so, but given taht Earls Court and Olympia are owned and run by the same company, and venue security made rather a horlicks of the outside queus at EC last year, SM really should have been prepared and been on top of this. People's first impression is when they arrive, and if you delegate that first impression to the venue security, you're letting somebody else potentially put a downer on everybody's day before they even get in.
  • Like 1

I must defend Showmasters on this one (and I was caught up in the chaos that was the entrance!) this was the Olympia staff causing the chaos NOT Showmasters......

That may be so, but given taht Earls Court and Olympia are owned and run by the same company, and venue security made rather a horlicks of the outside queus at EC last year, SM really should have been prepared and been on top of this. People's first impression is when they arrive, and if you delegate that first impression to the venue security, you're letting somebody else potentially put a downer on everybody's day before they even get in.

Fair point...and one that I am sure Jason et al will have noted as well....but to be fair, I'm not arbitrarily 'delegating' that responsibility...I'm a regular at these events and honestly. it really was the venue security honest :closedeyes:

Fair point...and one that I am sure Jason et al will have noted as well....but to be fair, I'm not arbitrarily 'delegating' that responsibility...I'm a regular at these events and honestly. it really was the venue security honest :closedeyes:

Sorry, badly expressed myself - what I meant was that if SM delegate the responsibility for people's first impression to venue security, then SM run the risk of having everybody rather peeved before they've even got in the door. First impressions do count, and SM should make a better attempt at controlling that.

The Good Things
  • Some of the staff, were great. I thought they were volunteers, but two of the people I spoke to said they were all being paid. Either way, they were helpful, patient and seemed to be enjoying the day!

we are volunteers actually, i worked for like 7 hours and got a zach galligan autograph out of it, thats all :)

The Good Things
  • Some of the staff, were great. I thought they were volunteers, but two of the people I spoke to said they were all being paid. Either way, they were helpful, patient and seemed to be enjoying the day!

we are volunteers actually, i worked for like 7 hours and got a zach galligan autograph out of it, thats all :)

That's cool Chloe, I only mentioned because I felt sorry for the staff being yelled at outside. If you're ALL volunteers, I feel even more sorry for those who were outside in the morning. I saw an unfortunate young blonde lady having some guy yelling right in her face about the queue jumping. Do you guys get to meet all of the guests before/after or is it just luck during intervals etc?

As a crew member you stay at your post all day. Like this weekend I saw the outside queues and the signing area, nothing else lol. Yet different jobs have different views of the event, thats just my experience. And yeah we are all volunteers, from basic crew right througout.

Might have been me you saw if you were in the pre-paid queue on Sat morning

Just want to add my 2p from my Saturday experience to this thread.

I've been going to the LFCC for the last 5 years or more now, since I first became aware of it, and for the most part I enjoy it. The talks are usually informative and entertaining, its nice to see the guests, and there is usually excellent merchandise on sale.

Last year at Earls Court 2 there were 2 lines which were being managed by volunteers from the start, clearly indicating one was for advanced ticket holders and the other was pay on the day. Let's not talk about the fact the pre-booked ticket line went almost all the way around Earl's Court, that's another matter :smile:

When I turned up on Sat morning about 8.30, there was 2 queues, one leading up to one side entrance, and another to the other side entrance with a single A4 sheet indicating to queue here to pay on the day. Fortunately I had noticed them and was able to get into the correct queue, but there was still half a dozen people who were asking me if this as the early bird pre-purchased queue, when it wasn't. There should definitely be better signage for the queues rather than a solitary A4 poster. Plus the 'scrum' for the early bird ticket holders after the guy with the megaphone told everyone to just head down the road to the entrance was a bit.. rushed. I managed to get in within a reasonable amount of time, but there should definitely have been more than 2 ticket sellers on duty, even if they were processing people fairly rapidly.

Anyway, once inside I had to queue up for my talk tickets. Fortunately having arrived early I was able to not only buy my tickets but also be in time for the first talk, however it was pushing it a little time-wise. I know some people must be annoyed though, if they wanted photos with someone which started at 9.30 but they were still in the queue. The volunteers were very friendly and polite, but it still wasn't a quick process.

The vendors and merchants were the usual excellent mix, including more than a few repeat sellers I recognised from previous years. I'm not much of a photo or autograph person, but it was nice to be able to get a glimpse of the majority of guests. Its still silly having the star guests completely hidden away from the rest of the con though.

My biggest gripe about the day though, is to do with the talks. When the main talk area has been set up in previous years, the microphone speakers had been fairly close to audience, and even with the large open space of EC2 you could still hear the guests very clearly. Its one of the things I always liked about LFCC, compared to some other cons I've been to. However, this time the sound setup let you down. The speakers were WAY too far away from the audience, and the much smaller confines of the smaller hall where the guests and stage A were merely amplified the usual background noise. At EC2 the ceiling is high enough for the background noise to fade a bit, but not on Saturday. The only talk I was able to hear properly was the initial Star Trek one, and that was only because Gates McFadden sat near to the audience and invited everyone to move closer. For the rest of them the sound quality was appalling, and I definitely didn't feel like I got my money's worth. Especially since there's usually only 1 or 2 premium talks and the rest were usually free. Please, please return to the sound setup as in previous years for next year, or at least move the speakers about 5m closer to the audience. Good sound quality makes a whole load of difference to your guests with hearing problems like myself.

So on the whole I had a mostly positive experience, but not being able to enjoy one of my main reasons for going properly was a big disappointment to me. If you're going to charge for so many talks again next year, you really need to have your sound system spot on for the day Showmasters.

Not related to my own experience, but I read about some people having issues getting to Olympia and being confused by the signs. I think what a lot of people didn't realise is the signs at Earls Court about getting to Olympia are about weekday services only, since the Olympia 'shuttle' only runs on weekends and for big events. Those from outside of London who are not as familiar with the tube as I am would be easily confused. If LFCC is back at EC for 2013 then the problem shouldn't occur again, but perhaps in future there should be some mention of the Olympia shuttle from Earls Court on the website. Like for say, the Entertainment Media Show.

Whoa, this went on a bit longer than I intended, but I've been wanting to get it all off my chest since yesterday. If you have been, thanks for reading! :smile:

I believe both EC isebeing demolished at some point after the olympics for new housing :-/ who knows where lfacc will go :)

"The owners of Earls Court and Olympia are Capital and Counties. They are presently in discussion with the boroughs of Hammersmith and Fulham and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to demolish the existing centre and redevelop the area with up to 8000 new flats, retail and possibly a new convention centre. However this is expected to take many years work and the latest date scheduled is June 2013." (-Wikipedia)

This was my 1st Lfcc travelled from Cardiff. The end result was okay I got to meet the celebs that I'd planned seeing. Got the two photoshoots done that I pre booked. Like everyone else is saying you gotta sort the queuing system out I booked my early bird tickets ages ago blah blah blah. From previous conventions I have attended I don't think it is a good idea to have a ticket system to meet a celeb. Excel didnt have it for the star wars event and it worked perfectly. The staff were doing their best, they were really nice and really patient. Not their fault at all but considering the size of the convention and pre booked tickets sold someone higher up should have had a better planning system. The printed photos system after the photoshoots was a shambles waited 4 hours for the jewel staite photos to come out. The ques were a shambles. For what was supposed to be a fun day turned out to be one of the most stressful days ever but came away with what I needed. Would be interested in finding out your plans for the next one before you actually launch it. Changes need to be made. The celebs were fab, all very friendly and went the extra distance on the day. Thanks again for putting this on just needs better management. :)

It would be chaos without a ticket system for bigger named guests! I had my autistic son with me, and without the ticketing, we would of been queuing all day, which he cannot do!

• Like 1

Some of my thoughts...

The queuing on Saturday morning was a bit of a shambles. At one point some idiots - who had literally just arrived shortly past 9 - decided to just forego the idea that there was a queue and go straight for the doors, which of course meant a bunch of lemmings followed suit and skipped all the folk who were queuing up for a good while. It was improved on the sunday with barriers though!

The friday night is a good idea...if you don't want photoshoot tickets and just go and get the auto's, as even though we were inside pretty quick, the queue was painfully slow moving, took us a good hour just to get a couple of tickets. On Saturday though, there was some improvement on one queue as some crew came down the line (at least the far left one) and took some cash orders to speed things along.

I actually like the event hall, I think it's got decent lighting and the upstairs balcony gives people breathing room. It's a huge event now in terms of attendees, I see that it's supposed to go back to Earl's Court 2 next year, which personally I think is a shame. Is it too big? It's certainly approaching the limit for the size of hall.

I only managed to attend 2 talks the whole weekend, the Dredd panel and the Hunted panel. Both were good, albeit the sound quality at these things is always frustrating. The free Melissa/Frank signing afterwards was a good idea and was a nice wee bonus. More of this kind of thing please!

Photoshoots...I found there were quality issues with a few from area D, some being a bit overexposed. A few also ran late. Is this a case of selling too many tickets for the available time? The other photographers aren't going to be as fast as A was, so maybe have a rethink on just how many you can get through in the time you allot to them. The collection is always going to be a nightmare, but generally I found them to come back in reasonable time. On Sunday I was half expecting to wait till past 5, but by 4.30 all my shots were back. I noticed there was a lot more onsite printers - in photoshoot terms, this has to have been the busiest weekend with a lot more shoots to print than normal! I agree with the comments about area B, there was ample space and queing by the crew both days was well done.

On Saturday though, there was some improvement on one queue as some crew came down the line (at least the far left one) and took some cash orders to speed things along.

That was something that annoyed me immensly. Three extra staff taking cash payments fom the smallest queue. Why couldnt they have split them between the other queues, including the one on the far right which was massive?

They should have had one queue for cash payments only as well.

I only went to one paid talk, it took us an hour and a half to queue for the tickets, (we only decided to go usin the money we had saved for Norman Reedus autograph, so had not pre-paid). It was the Hayden talk on the Sat morning, and it was a complete shambles. I thought she did remarkably well to run it, and made sure those who wanted to ask a queston got the chance.

. On Saturday though, there was some improvement on one queue as some crew came down the line (at least the far left one) and took some cash orders to speed things along.

Really? I wish someone had done that in my queue...I wanted only 3 Photo Ops, had the £50 cash in my hand and stood for simply ages waiting to get to the front to pay....I thought I was in, and had been directed to, what I thought was a "cash only" queue, but when I got to the front I found that it was both Cash & Credit Cards - so no wonder it was slow moving!...*sigh*...I missed my Kevin Sorbo photo shoot because of this, however was soon compensated by getting a Charles Dance one which turned out to be the best moment of my day!!...

Small mercies and all that....but I could have done with that "instant pay Cash" person for sure!.. :P

Edited by discodiva

Just want to put my 2p's worth in.

I wanted to get things organised so I didnt have to rush around but for some reason, I couldnt book online. Did send an email which wasnt replied to, but I know that in the week leading up to an event such as this, the organisers have so much to do. So I'm not complaining about that, I knew I could pay on the day.

Cues:

Yes the EB cue's could have been better organised, but it happens from time to time. Once it was sorted, we got through quite quick

Buying tickets for autos & photos:

Bit of a scrum, I was panicking a bit as Chris Judge was quite early in the schedule, but the crew were so helpful and go sorted out

Photo Shoot

The ones I went to were well organised and, no problems

I didnt know that there was a photo opportunity to have your pic on the throne, bit upset I missed that

Autographs:

Again had no problems with the ones I went to

Venue

Now I do have a bit of a grip with the venue, too big and not enough rest areas. I suffer with a spinal problem and although its not noticeable, I suffered so much with pain that day due to not being able to sit. When I did find a spot that DID have chairs and I saw people sitting there and eating, I thought great! About 10mins later, 2 guys came up to me and told me that I had to move as they were filming! No signs or anything to say that you couldnt sit there. Only place really to sit was in the cafe's there and the prices in them were awful, furthermore there is only so much time you can make a cup of weak tea last before the cafe staff glared at you.

All in all the day was great, preferred the Earls Court venue better though

My son and I had a fab time on both Saturday and Sunday. We arrived at about 11 after some rigmarole with the trains our end, spoke to someone near the entrance who told us where to queue, joined the long queue round the corner nervously but ended up moving down so quickly we were in in about 20 minutes. The cloakroom was fab - out of the way, only £1, and with pleasant staff. Got VTs for everyone we wanted, found the only affordable place to eat (the CRUSSh juice bar, does lovely salads, wraps and sandwiches at not terrible prices), ended up meeting Chris Judge (who highfived my very awestruck 7 year old, was very smily and laughing), Ben Browder (who chatted about Farscape, Stargate & Dr Who with Isaac for so long that he built up quite the queue, and said Isaac's favourite line from Farscape in his 'Chrichton voice' - and was impressed by Isaac describing the episode we'd watched that morning before we left - did tell him to watch it again when he's 21 ;) ), then went off for Gillian ANderson photo shoot which was hot and long and I did not like leaving my bag (with digital slr inside!!) so far away for so long. The photo was sadly so rushed that I ended up looking a bit jowly as my chin was down where I wasn't really ready, so that was a shame. Staff were nice though & kept an eye on Isaac for me. After that some stall browsing then back for Gillian auto where we waited for aaages but it was worth it, she chatted to Isaac for so long that I worried I wouldn't get to talk to her, but she seemed to really enjoy talking to him, and I managed to tell her that when I was younger I wanted to be strong and confident and intelligent like she was, and that now I'm in my 30's she's *still* inspiring me because the day after I booked the photo shoot I started to lose weight and in those few months I've lost 25lb - and I might as well keep going! She seemed really pleased and happy about it and wrote on my picture - 'What a sweet, sweet boy you have - Keep Going - Well Done!' which is great. As I left she said 'He's so lovely! You're so lovely! Thank *you*' which was ridiculous. My lifelong idol thanked me! :D After that Jewel Staite auto - who came back out of the green room just for me, bless her, SOOO sweet, and then the queue for Adam Baldwin which was a bit rushed but very nice, he found it funny that Isaac told him he''d only seen him in Stargate because 'mummy doesn't let me see Firefly or Full Metal Jacket yet' - no! I don't!

Sadly our photo on the Iron Throne was one from a small batch that were never printed but can't be helped I guess, we filled in our details and left it with them, so hopefully that won't be long to arrive. It did mean we left late and didn't make it home till 9pm BUT I don't care. We liked it enough we came back the next day (which was a lot less crowded and cooler and also very easy going aside from the time & venue change for Ben Browder's talk which was a bit of a run. Everything else v calm!)

• Like 2

The Good Things

The Good Things

That's cool Chloe, I only mentioned because I felt sorry for the staff being yelled at outside. If you're ALL volunteers, I feel even more sorry for those who were outside in the morning. I saw an unfortunate young blonde lady having some guy yelling right in her face about the queue jumping. Do you guys get to meet all of the guests before/after or is it just luck during intervals etc?

As a crew member you stay at your post all day. Like this weekend I saw the outside queues and the signing area, nothing else lol. Yet different jobs have different views of the event, thats just my experience. And yeah we are all volunteers, from basic crew right througout.

Might have been me you saw if you were in the pre-paid queue on Sat morning

OMG, yes it was! You were between the entrance and tube exit on the pavement. I was in the queue near you when some old bloke in a sports jacket was yelling at you about the organisation.

The Good Things

OMG, yes it was! You were between the entrance and tube exit on the pavement. I was in the queue near you when some old bloke in a sports jacket was yelling at you about the organisation.

I got shouted at by a few people :-p Just had to get on with it and do what I could. One person said it was agressive that we were all shouting all the time, yet id like to see someone try and organise all them people without shouting. We got you all in though within half an hour! I think we needed someone at the enterence to the tube station directing people as that was the problem, people piling off the tubes and just causing a crush, just wanted to get themselves in which I agree is not fair on the people who queued for ages. Also I would love to know who the person with the megaphone was?! heard a few people say that he told them to all move forward once door was open which we didnt want!!

We did it though and strangly enough I enjoyed the challenge lol! with a few roped barriers it would have been 80% better :)

The directions at Earl's Court station are extremely confusing. There were big signs saying that to get to Kensington (Olympia) you had to get one towards Wimbledon and get off the next stop and get the Overground. Upon arriving there we discovered the Overground was closed. We were told to to back to Earl's Court and to get a bus. Back at Earl's Court, I asked someone and was informed that there was a train to get from Platform 4. I was still rather confused until I overheard someone talking that the Olympia train was at 24 and 44 minutes past each hour, and the train simply doesn't appear on the electric signs on the platforms. I discovered that there was a sign on the station somewhere, but when you arrive at Platform 3 and there are big signs there with directions, you wouldn't move off the platform to look for different directions (why there isn't a note on the signs telling you to use the Overground,

yeah we had the same problems on day 2 and 3, as much as I loved the venue (a vast improvement size wise on Earls court!) on the Saturday th ere were no overground services to Olympia and only 3 district lines an hour (despite engineering work posters not mentioning engineering work on the overground) and on the Sunday there were no trains whatsoever running to Olympia, and no information from TFL apart from taking the bus outside. As stall holders we had to be there by 8am and this made things very difficult!

guests were all amazing and very friendly (although hayden looked a bit uncomfortable very often, though still smiled and said hello when she noticed you which was nice)

the reg crew were mostly amazing as always

some crew, a very unhelful pit boss who was around the photo sales at one point and Mr un-flexible I love shouting in photo A on saturday, were not as amazing lol

jason was around visable all the time which is always nice. esp if there are issues like there were with queues and photos.

the new bag policy in photo A on saturday was a p**** take, why, why they thought it would work or needed to be changed from the normal showmaster way I have NO clue, nor was it fully enforced. stupid. the sunday crew went back to the normal pactice (without changing anything layout wise i might add) as were all the other shoots over the weekend.

photo quality both in the taking & printing left a lot to be desired. esp compaired to past events. posted my views in the bad photo thread.

i liked the layout in the hall. more stuff yet more space, signing away in its own section,

though as always seating was sparse and catering outlets rubbish, how hard is it to have fridges and chillers that make the drink cold lol. over priced food as always at ECO venues. none of those SM fault though. oh yer, cash machines ran out rather fast also.

entry on sat was a bit messy lol

so many queues, wow, photo shoots on sat were all so busy.

district line on sunday, thanks TFL, gits.

but I come for guests and the guests were amazing, thank you jason and showmasters.