Questions about attending on Saturday

Contrary to what I thought I am now arriving in London at 05.45am and not 07.05am. After careful consideration I have decided Danielle Harris are my two main signatures for the day as I am leaving London shortly after 5pm. I want to see parts of London while I am there so I'm not planning on being there all day. First question is about travel to the venue, I'll need to look at the other thread I was in with that info but is there a certain time trains start going that way or are they 24 hours? If i wanted to go straight to the venue (yes I know it's early) but if i did would it be possible or would i need to wait maybe until 7am or something before the correct trains were available? Second question is about ques, how early do people start queing and even though there is a que for early bird tickets, is it possible for people like me to BUY early bird tickets on the day? Baring in mind the two people I've just mentioned that I am going to meet, I can't see them being that busy but would you recommend me getting an early bird ticket or just a regular ticket and again, if i got a regular ticket, do you think those 2 guests would be busy enough that I would be at the venue a long time or do you think I'd be in and out in very little time and can then go see more of London?

Basically I dont want to stand for hours in the morning in a que for 2 guests that might have open ques. Secondly i am going with someone and we want to have a look around London. So its either show up early, wait for hours and get it and out or arrive, see some of London, show up for regular entrance, in and out and then see more of London. What do you think i should do?

I don't understand the TFL website. I put in the first part Victoria Coach Station and then the second part as Olympia Grand Hall. It says planned engineering works are taking place and it takes 40 minutes to make the journey. Is that correct? I don't want to be at the event all day even though I could but there is someone coming along for the day and they're there for the sight seeing so it's not fair I take up the whole day to suit myself. I don't know where Victoria Coach station is, I don't know if that is near any high streets or big shopping areas nor do I know if the venue is near any such places, for all I know it could be on the outskirts somewhere away from everything. I wanna meet Danielle and Mickie and do my own looking round the vendors but I need to let the person coming with me have their time to look around London and enjoy themselves. Do you think I can do it? Do you think those guests will be real busy on the day? Do you think I need an early bird ticket?

You don't say what day you're coming, but I assume it's Saturday. (Or of course I could look at the thread title - doh!) 40 minutes from Vic Coach Station to Olympia sounds reasonable, maybe slightly longer than I expect.

From looking at the TFL website, the suggestion is that the tube spur to Olympia doesn't run before 7am. Before that there are ways of getting there which are mainly bus-based, or you can walk to Victoria tube station (The map on page 2 of this factsheet shows where the tube station is in relation to the coach station), get the tube to High Street Kensington, then catch the No.10 bus - the bus journey is simple journey of a mile straight down the main road. High Street Kensington is also a reasonable shopping area to look round for a few hours, although obviously nothing will be open that early in the morning.

Altenately, once you get to Olympia, from there it is a two minute overground train journey from Olympia to Shepherd's Bush where there is the huge Westfield Londonshopping centre - I'm sure your companion can while away a few hours there! (According to the centre's website, Waitrose opens at 8am on Saturday, some of the shops and cafes open at 9am, and everything else opens at 10am).

Edited by TommyT

I don't understand the TFL website. I put in the first part Victoria Coach Station and then the second part as Olympia Grand Hall. It says planned engineering works are taking place and it takes 40 minutes to make the journey. Is that correct? I don't want to be at the event all day even though I could but there is someone coming along for the day and they're there for the sight seeing so it's not fair I take up the whole day to suit myself. I don't know where Victoria Coach station is, I don't know if that is near any high streets or big shopping areas nor do I know if the venue is near any such places, for all I know it could be on the outskirts somewhere away from everything. I wanna meet Danielle and Mickie and do my own looking round the vendors but I need to let the person coming with me have their time to look around London and enjoy themselves. Do you think I can do it? Do you think those guests will be real busy on the day? Do you think I need an early bird ticket?

From the coach station, head towards Victoria Station and then to the tube. Get the district line westbound to Earl's Court and change over to the district line to Kensington Olympia. That should not take more than half an hour.

The engineering works as far as I know are only the overground train between Kensington Olympia and Clapham Junction. All other routes to Kensington are fine and working as normal this weekend.

From the coach station, head towards Victoria Station and then to the tube. Get the district line westbound to Earl's Court and change over to the district line to Kensington Olympia. That should not take more than half an hour.

Ah, but the original post says they're arriving at Vic Coach Station at 5:45, so you're getting them to Earl's Court by about 6:15.

According to the info on the TFL site, the first train from Earl's Court to Olympia is 7:00 on a Saturday morning, (and 7:58 on a Sunday morning). If they want to avoid a long wait (or a one mile walk), then it's tube to High Street Ken and go to bus stop F and catch the No. 9 or 10 to Hammersmith, the N9 To Heathrowe or the 27 to Turnham Green - they all stop outside Olympia. It's a straight one mile ride down the main road from High Street Ken (It's definitely down the road rather than up, but basically as you come out of HSK tube, you want a bus going to your left).

Having looked at the site for the past few days I've noticed some changes depending on what times you put in. It's things like this I don't understand.

Take the District Line towards Richmond Underground Station

or District Line towards Ealing Broadway Underground Station

I don't like the use of the word 'towards'. I want to know what station to go to, what train to get, which station to get off at and have it nice and clear so I know what I am doing.. I'm gonna go for normal entrance so i'm thinking of maybe doing other stuff. But even if i made my way there from about 10 oclock onwards, the TFL website shows a few different ways, one includes a bus. I'm just looking for a simple way of doing this and for someone to explain to me what they think is the best way and why and like Tommy says there is buses too and event that don't look too bad. I've never been to London before so I've no idea what all of this means, I've read other threads too and I can't understand it, it's all just a blur. Now we know there are possible changes being made at the weekend, work is being done on some of the tracks. Surely i'm not the only person going on Saturday, maybe for the first time and has these questions? I think what MrsEllacott said is the best way for me to do it, it's simple enough and not too long but again i want to bring this up because I need to know if there is a chance those routes could be changed on Saturday.

it's really not that hard, go to the tube map at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf, find the station you're starting from, then find the Kensington Olympia station and work out your own route. London is a huge city with a lot of ways to get around. As for what's open and closed this weekend, the information is here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/track.aspx?offset=weekend, it's unlikely to change unless there is some kind of emergency or signal faults.

Having looked at the site for the past few days I've noticed some changes depending on what times you put in. It's things like this I don't understand.

Take the District Line towards Richmond Underground Station

or District Line towards Ealing Broadway Underground Station

I don't like the use of the word 'towards'. I want to know what station to go to, what train to get, which station to get off at and have it nice and clear so I know what I am doing.. I'm gonna go for normal entrance so i'm thinking of maybe doing other stuff. But even if i made my way there from about 10 oclock onwards, the TFL website shows a few different ways, one includes a bus. I'm just looking for a simple way of doing this and for someone to explain to me what they think is the best way and why and like Tommy says there is buses too and event that don't look too bad. I've never been to London before so I've no idea what all of this means, I've read other threads too and I can't understand it, it's all just a blur. Now we know there are possible changes being made at the weekend, work is being done on some of the tracks. Surely i'm not the only person going on Saturday, maybe for the first time and has these questions? I think what MrsEllacott said is the best way for me to do it, it's simple enough and not too long but again i want to bring this up because I need to know if there is a chance those routes could be changed on Saturday.

You need to get on those trains "towards" in order to get to Earl's Court and change to the Kensington Olympia train. I have kept an eye on TFL and it is still probably the best route. The tube takes ten minutes from Victoria to Earl's Court and three mins from Earl's Court to Kensington Olympia.

Up here in scotland the underground is real simple, outside and inner circle. Maps everywhere with destinations. If someone who knows what trains i need to get can tell me the stops I need to get off at then I can try and work it out myself. You say Earl's Court, does that mean I get on a tube train and then EXIT at Earl's Court? When I exit at Earl's Court I then get on another tube train to Kensington Olympia? Am I right in thinking that?

Up here in scotland the underground is real simple, outside and inner circle. Maps everywhere with destinations. If someone who knows what trains i need to get can tell me the stops I need to get off at then I can try and work it out myself. You say Earl's Court, does that mean I get on a tube train and then EXIT at Earl's Court? When I exit at Earl's Court I then get on another tube train to Kensington Olympia? Am I right in thinking that?

Stay on the platform at Earl's Court. Kensington one will be either same side or the other side of platform you are on.

I think people are getting overly concerned for no reason, the London transport system is really not that complicated. You need to get to Kensington Olympia, if you look at a tube map it's on the green District line, the only way to get to it by tube is from Earls Court, just figure out your own best way to get to Earls Court depending on where you're coming from, it's on a couple of lines. You dont need to exit the station to change lines, if you're on the District Line already you may not even need to change platforms. If you're coming from the Piccadilly Line you'll have a bit of a walk from that end of the station to the District Line but it's all signposted. Kensington Olympia station is 1 stop from Earls Court and the train doesn't go anywhere else, so just make sure you get on a train that says it's going there and you'll be fine. I can't give any advice on buses, I never use them I'm afraid, I find the tube much easier.

It's alright if you are used to it but if you're not then all you keep reading is tubes and districts and lines andit becomes a blur. My sister went to London recently and she said something about a ticket you get, I think she said £8 I could be wrong and she said that lets you ride the trains all day. I wont be riding trains all day but cost wise, how much is it gonna cost me roughly to get to Olympia in total and then back to Victoria Coach Station, am I better getting one of these day ticket things?

• Like 1

Underground is emensly complicated especially to people who haven't used it before, even to people who have lived there for years. Asking if you have to leave the station is a valid question . Even now after year's of doing lfcc and having travelled round London on my own I still get confused just travelling from euston to kings x . Fine the other way but it's disoreantating when a lot of lines go through the same station .

London underground has the most lines and the most stations that cross over in the world . If your not used to it it gets a bit much. Add claustraphobia and people rushing and no one to help you if you do get lost. ( heaven forbid you have to look at a map or a sign because people will scowl and tut llike you just kicked there puppy or something ) it's the most stressful bit of my trip every time ..

• Like 1

The wizard you will be better of getting a day ticket as singles cost a fortune . Or if you can get a oyster card there better again as they will

Cap your journeys at 7.50 a day and it costs less for a single

Get an off peak One Day Travelcard, it's usually cheaper than buying 2 single tickets and it will allow you to travel all day. It will cost £7 as you'll only be travelling within Zone 1. A single each way would be £4.30 each way. You can buy a one day travelcard at the ticket window or at a machine at any station. Alternatively, if you travel to London more than once a year it might be worth getting an Oyster Card. Basically it's like a credit card for travel, you load it up with credit and then as you enter and leave any station you swipe it and it'll deduct the correct amount, usually a lot less than if you buy tickets separately. The credit doesn't run out so even if you only came back 6 months later, you could still use it.

The London Underground is extremely well signposted and there are lots of people who WILL help you if you ask, usually at every barrier there are staff who can help if you need it. I always help people when I'm travelling on the tube, anyone that tuts or ignores you is just a rude person, if they wont help you someone else will.

Just found this on the tfl website, it might be worth a look for those not familiar with London http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/visitor-guide.pdf

Edited by jael001

I really think you're worrying about it more than you should. You're going a total of 5 stops and all on the same line, albeit a change at Earls Court. I really can't see any way you can go wrong. Each platform lists the stations it stops at, so when you get on the district line (green) check your platform lists Earls Court. Easy :smile:

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

It's alright if you are used to it but if you're not then all you keep reading is tubes and districts and lines andit becomes a blur. My sister went to London recently and she said something about a ticket you get, I think she said £8 I could be wrong and she said that lets you ride the trains all day. I wont be riding trains all day but cost wise, how much is it gonna cost me roughly to get to Olympia in total and then back to Victoria Coach Station, am I better getting one of these day ticket things?

£8.50 gets you a All day travelcard for all zones. You can use it on the tues, trains, dlr, buses, trams. Worth the money!