Lords Of Time convention 7th to 9th of September

showmasters

Booked tickets/arranged hotel room/sorted out cheap train, for self and sibling (brother) yesterday.

Never having done a Who convention before I don't mind who the guests are, as they will all be new to me. It'll be a great weekend regardless.

See y'all in September!

Hi,

This is for 'Showmasters' really. Will there be individual day tickets available? I'd LOVE to meet David Tennant, he's the best doctor IMO. £88 for a whole weekend and for one autograph seems expensive to me. Plus I'm not going by myself, so even more expense

It's £88 for all talks, parties and one autograph from each guest. It's a convention, not a signing show, remember.

Does anyone have any ideas when other guests will be announced?

Any chance Alex Kingston will be added? I like David Tennant but for a whole weekend would like to see who else will be going before booking a ticket and its getting closer and closer with no new names as yet....dying to find out!!!

Guest are only announced when contracts are signed. Alex Kingston is currently working in the USA, so I wouldn't expect her.

Edited by laurab1

ahhh dammit! I just realised i am training for the police through out the month of august and september, this one may be hard to get to :/

actually on seconds thoughts, it may be during a holiday period... won't know until nearer the time :(

Edited by SquirtchyErchie

I cant seem to get any sort of contact number up. This is the 1st time we've been to anything like this. Ive booked tickets and train tickets but we wont get to birmingham until just after 7pm, does this mean we cant go to the party that evening because we would not have registered.

I cant seem to get any sort of contact number up. This is the 1st time we've been to anything like this. Ive booked tickets and train tickets but we wont get to birmingham until just after 7pm, does this mean we cant go to the party that evening because we would not have registered.

From one attendee to another, I base what I am about to say on previous schedules I have had with Showmasters, although please note that it was for Chevron so I do not know exactly how the schedule for Lords of Time will pan out ;) . But here's just my opinion while waiting for a response from any of Staff ;) It's just meant to give you an idea based on personnal experience.

If this schedule will work anything like the one I have in front of me right now (cue the girl that still has schedules & registration packs from long ago event xD), the Registration desk just might be open up until 9PM, and the party shouldn't be starting until at least 8.30, 9-ish in the evening, so I believe you will be right on time for that one if as you say you will be arriving just after 7. The Hilton offers a wide reception area and in my experience, checkin went quite fast even though there were people before us. Of course, it might be a little short if you're a gold pass holder, though, because in previous occasions the Cocktail usually started at 7.30.

At the very least, I think it might be best to bring back any confirmation emails with you and let Showmasters know beforehand. But I suspect they will come answer you here and give more specific details related to this event, as I only took on past experience to give you a small idea of what to expect. We have arrived late for Chevron 7.6 and even after that I had to go and fetch a friend at the nearby airport: when I got back I didn't have my registration pack but was allowed in nonetheless. I had my pack the next morning ;) . I think the main word here is to warn: keep Showmasters informed and they will sort anything out for you. I don't think there is any reason why you shouldn't be able to attend the evening party in the conditions you mentionned though ;)

But again, best wait for official word :)

Cheers ! :)

Sorry about this load, but the 'contact us' button seems not to work.

As this event is being held in a hotel, are we required to be staying at that hotel?

We have a perfectly serviceable motorcaravan which we prefer to stay in - are we allowed to use it? (If so, is there overnight parking for it?)

My wife is disabled, what is the access like?

Are there concession rates for disabled/carers?

Hoping all this pans out.

Spill

I would be surprised if the hotel allow you to park and stay in their car park for free. I also suspect that because of the nec and the airport that you would not be able to park it in any of the car parks near. The only thing i can think of is searching online for a local carvan and camping site but you would still have the issue of getting to and parking at the hotel for the day of the convention.

As they say it is always best to ask and i would phone the nec/airport and ask their advice.

We plan to give all the Doctor Who fans out there a really amazing time, and to pull out all the stops at this one.

We have some new things planned, more will come on that front over the next few weeks

keep an eye on this forum as things unroll.

nearly 4 weeks later and it's all been rather quiet so far. People are openly questioning on other forums if it will even go ahead.

We plan to give all the Doctor Who fans out there a really amazing time, and to pull out all the stops at this one.

We have some new things planned, more will come on that front over the next few weeks

keep an eye on this forum as things unroll.

nearly 4 weeks later and it's all been rather quiet so far. People are openly questioning on other forums if it will even go ahead.

It's only three weeks but it is still annoying.

DW11

I already booked my ticket to the event, but we are holding off on booking a hotel yet. I hope we hear something soon because I am worried about this event happening at all. I am going back to the states for the next 6 months after this event, so I am REALLY hoping this event happens before I leave the country. I will need my Doctor Who fix before I got back to the land of no Doctor Who for 6 months! So here's to hoping we get some news soon! :D

Sorry about this load, but the 'contact us' button seems not to work.

As this event is being held in a hotel, are we required to be staying at that hotel?

We have a perfectly serviceable motorcaravan which we prefer to stay in - are we allowed to use it? (If so, is there overnight parking for it?)

My wife is disabled, what is the access like?

Are there concession rates for disabled/carers?

Hoping all this pans out.

Spill

The problem has been solved. As of next Wednesday I am out of work, so we can't afford to go anyway. Having said that, if any more guests appear, we may make the supreme effort, parking overnight in a layby.

Spill

As this is so near to Bitten3 I have to ask before I get a ticket....When/how many days is Mr Tennent there for and are you planning to have more guests as well?

I really want to meet him but it's a lot of money for one guest.

Cheers!

Edited by acattvens

As this is so near to Bitten3 I have to ask before I get a ticket....When/how many days is Mr Tennent there for and are you planning to have more guests as well?

I really want to meet him but it's a lot of money for one guest.

Cheers!

There is never only one guest at the hotel cons. And you get more than just autographs, anyway :clap::smile: There should be 8 to 10 guests at this event, but no guest is announced until contracts are signed, as I'm sure you know.

Edited by laurab1

I'm also a bit nervous about it being cancelled. I've already booked my train and hotel. Both on none refundable cheap rates. Waiting to see what other guests are going as to which ticket I book :-/ Hope we get some news soon.

What I don't understand is why there are longer, more detailed comments on other forums but not on this one.

I came across this on Gallifrey Base, I would feel a lot better if something like the post quoted below was posted here.

" quote

Originally Posted by Paul R Jones viewpost.gif

Your point being?

I do not work full time for Showmasters, like the rest of the crew I am a volunteer at the shows and undertake what I can during my spare time, from home,not in their office, around a very full time job which is not related to event organising.

To counter the general negativity that seems to be on here, I would remind you that the Showmasters/ Massive Events team were responsible for the first ever signing show/ convention appearances of DAVID TENNANT, JOHN SIMM, KAREN GILLAN, ALEX KINGSTON, ARTHUR DARVIL, BERNARD CRIBBINS, NOEL CLARKE, PAUL MCGANN, IAIN GLENN etc

ME want to announce guests as soon as they can, but it is never an exact science, but just because nothing has been announced does not mean nothing is happening.

To get this back on topic, perhaps people could suggest who they would like to see at this show?

Trust that helps

Cheers

Paul

Edited by egjohnston

• Moderators

What I don't understand is why there are longer, more detailed comments on other forums but not on this one.

I came across this on Gallifrey Base, I would feel a lot better if something like the post quoted below was posted here.

Because, as Paul says, he's not the 'organiser' - so he's basically saying what all us mods etc will say too, which is the truth.

This does have the makings of "The Games" about it. Initial annoucement with a two guests (one for this one obviously) and then nothing...more nothing...nothing continues and then cancelled. Meanwhile there are lots of activity and announcements about other events, mainly the signings conventions.

I was one of the disappointed people that was looking forward to "The Games" but decided to transfer to the "Happily Ever After" convention rather than get a refund (I'm starting to have my doubts about that one too). I did think about this con, but having had one cancelled, I thouht I would wait a week or two to see who if anyone is announced. If there is a mad rush and I can't get a ticket than that's my fault. I think I made the right choice.

IMO SM/ME are making the same mistake another organiser (which I can't name owing to forum rules) is making. They have their tried and tested, successful brand of convention. ME have Bitten, Chevron, Elstree Day. It appears to me rightly or wrongly if there are guests announced for cons, not the signings, it seems to be in those established ones. It could be that they have a previous relationship with lots of those people from the previous events, they may be concentrating on them as they seem to be the most popular and the quicker selling conventions, I don't know and quite rightly they aren't saying.

If that is correct IMO that is a mistake. The established successful cons avtually need less work because a good or high percentage of their ticket sales come from people that went to the last or previous events. The newer conventions based on another series or theme need the extra attention because whilst they may get ticket sales from their customers who go to their other successful events, it's possible that they won't get them as they have already bought a ticket for the other con. There have been a couple of posts in the "Happily Ever After " boards saying that the person will be getting the ticket in a few months if they are still available because they went to the LFCC or after Bitten in October or November whenever it is.

Unlike this event, the other promoters one has a few guests named as attending and sadly one had to drop out. So things actually look better that it will go ahead comepared to this one. Despite that there is a bubbling feeling/rumour that the con is going to be cancelled owing to not enough tickets sold. Of course the fans have no idea how many tickets have been sold. It could be 30 it could be 300, it's pure speculation on their part, but it's being fuelled by the lack of activity on the forums by the organisers for long periods.

If ME were to post something like "Announcement: We have invited a guest from Last of the Timelords" or "a guest who has appeared in more than three episodes" There will be discussion on this board as well as other boards as to who it may be. If that person turns down the invite, no harm is done because it was only announced as an invite and the person was never named, but at least that speculation fuels interest in the event and gets it talked about.

I really hope that I and the other people feeling apprehensive are wrong and this does go ahead for the sake of the fans that have already purchased tickets and booked rooms or travel.

In my opinion I would rather have less well know actors and for the con to go ahead than ME concentrating on big name guests, not getting anyone and cancelling the con.

I really don't want this t be cancelled though but the lack of information is worrying. I dont know why but I have a feeling something will be announced on Tuesday...

DW11