More talks added to the online shop

Gold Pass Holders don't need to paid for the talks Elspeth it is included in the price of the gold pass

Very true. There were 8 guests I was hoping would do talks, and I've found out this morning they they are all payed for. So include that with entry the gold pass has already paid for itself. When I saw this I bought a gold ticket this morning before they sold out! lol

Even when free, some attendances were quite low last year. I suspect you may have some extremely empty talk areas with so many being paid.

Money is limited, people want autos or photos, talks were a nice extra but people may be unwilling to commit to paid ones (whatever the rights or wrongs of that) in case it clashes with something else.

This doesn't affect me personally as I have a gold pass (and in fact this change makes that better value) but I'm considering others here and there's an awful lot of negative feeling to this change amongst people I know, many of whom would go to a free talk if they had time but can't ir won't pay for these paid ones.

• Like 7

Someone made a very valid point about recording. People will be paying a LOT of money for these talks, but would it really be value for money? You can't record (ridiculous rule in my opinion), you can only use flash for a couple of mins and it will most likely be fairly empty which will result in a not very interesting talk. Everyone knows that when the talk has a full audience it's more enjoyable for ALL involved. This event is for the fans, not something else to line other people's pockets.

Sorry to be so blunt about this, I was just so looking forward to this event and seeing Holly in a talk, but my budget will absolutely not stretch to £30 (I would have to pay for the person I am bringing to the event also).

£5 as I and someone else stated would be doable and the event organisers would still get a hefty profit.

If you're intent on charging so much, make the talk itself more reasonable for fans once they're inside, i.e. allowing recording or longer flash time for photos.

• Like 3

Even when free, some attendances were quite low last year. I suspect you may have some extremely empty talk areas with so many being paid.

Money is limited, people want autos or photos, talks were a nice extra but people may be unwilling to commit to paid ones (whatever the rights or wrongs of that) in case it clashes with something else.

This doesn't affect me personally as I have a gold pass (and in fact this change makes that better value) but I'm considering others here and there's an awful lot of negative feeling to this change amongst people I know, many of whom would go to a free talk if they had time but can't ir won't pay for these paid ones.

I completely agree.

Charging £15 for these talks is going to deter people from going, photos and autos will always come first. If the price was £5 i bet you would get over 3 times the people you would for £15, thus making more money. I'm not going to judge SM on why this is happening, they must have their reasons, I just know the talks will be very quiet at this price.

I think CM:MK showed this, the talks were almost empty (with the exception of the GoTs talks perhaps). Also look at Christoper Lamberts talk last year at LFCC, it was dead.

I have a feeling these talks will be just as quiet this year, which is a shame, sometimes it's like pulling teeth waiting for someone to ask questions.

Is there a reason the Game of Thrones talk descriptions are so... uninformative?

Most of the other talks say who will be at them, is there a reason the GoT ones don't? Is it just because all guests aren't announced yet or some other reason? Is there any chance they could be updated to include the speakers, or at the very least with some sort of description -- minimum 1 guest, minimum 2 guests, 5 guests attendence permitting... something that would give me some idea of what you get for the money so I can decide which talks I might be interested in buying? I definitely can't afford to do all the talks I would have originally been interested in at these prices.

Obviously it can't be guaranteed that other unrelated photoshoots won't clash, but CMMK had the particularly ridiculous problem of a GoT guest photoshoot clashing with the GoT talk, and at the very least I want to avoid getting stuck in that situation again if I can help it - especially as I was refused a refund, even though they admitted there was no way I could do both without missing out on what I'd paid for, and the girl at the photoshoot area had told me I'd be able to get one. In the end I had to accept an auto voucher, even though I'd already got the autographs I wanted...

If all the guests will be at the talk this won't be a problem. If the talk only includes some of them, it might be (Yes, I understand people may be allowed to enter/leave talks to get to photoshoots, but that still means I would be wasting the money for the talk as I wouldn't actually be in attendence).

Edit: Furthermore, what would happen if you bought talk tickets for two talks that clashed? With this many talks, thats an inevitability. Would you actually be able to get a refund, or would you end up stuck with auto tickets again? :|

Edited by dee

Dissapointed as well with all these paid talks. I would have loved to hear Jewel Staite, Holly Mary Combs, Thomas D etc but I can't afford a few talks.

Fair enough for big guests but not for all talks.

Early tickets cost some money already, plus photoshoots, autographs, a few bits in the stalls but now charging £15 for nearly every talks is too much.

It is a difficult time for a lot of people.

• Showmasters Admin

My problem with this is that I am going with a 12 year old and would have to pay double for talks, before if i wanted to go to a talk and she didnt i would go and sit at the back or end of a row and she could go off and wander knowing that if she needed me then she could find me easily but she wont be able to do this if its paid. I know its only for half an hour but it was kind of a security blanket for her, she had freedom within reason.

In this case, I'm sure we can allow your daughter access to you should she need it.

Just make sure the crew are aware that she may need to come and see you. Obviously it will need to be a quick in (see you) and out, no sitting around watching the talk. But it'll be fine for her to simply have access to you if she needs too.

Is there a reason the Game of Thrones talk descriptions are so... uninformative?

Jason said in the latest announcement topic of a GOT guest that they were looking at getting 5 GOT guests each day. Until the contracts are finalized they can't really say who's in what talk. I would guess that is the reason why the description is not very detailed.

I assumed that was the reason, although really if they want us to pay for things already I do think that details should have been finalised and announced at the same time, otherwise we're being asked to pay for things that cannot be known.

I still feel it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to give a minimum number of guests per talk, or an "Amrita Acharia +1", or an estimate of how many guests they expect to be in it contracts and attendance permitting though :)

Do you expect to have more information before the store closes?

Edited by dee

*Enters thread saying his Prayers, with ammo and grenades ready waving a white Flag and yelling "CEASEFIRE"*

When I first read about the talks I noticed how it would only be Mitch and Nicholas taking part in the X-Files Talk and was surprised that Adam wasn't going to be part of it. Even though he was in X-Files and Adams going to be there on Sunday so it would have been cool for him to have been in it.

There's some people who (in my opinion) deserve their own talk - most noteably Zach Galligan - but thats just personal preference.

Ok, Ladies and gentleman, as you were.

*Tucks and rolls out of thread glad to have avoided the flying schrapnel*

I'm not too happy either. The only reason I'm going is to see Norman. I've already paid out for 3 early bird tickets both on Sat and Sun; 2 x photoshoots; then there will be the 2 autographs I want. Now I have to pay to see him talk for 30 mins. Honestly don't know if I can afford it, which is awful because as I said, he's the only reason I'm even going!

What am I actually even getting for the entry ticket?

Edited by Reedusfan
  • Like 1

Id have liked to see some talks, but umm no..not if the ones I would have liked are paid! It comes down too £15 for a 30 min talk (and is it guarenteed 30 mins, not 26 mins after delays etc), or do I pay that for an autograph. Autograph will win every time.

To be fair though, im meeting so many guests, and so many photoshoot, even if they were free id probably not have made them due to clashes and no time, but at least id have had the option.

Now, the big question I have now though is, will there be plenty of free seating provided through the venue now? I know from experience people who have been on their feet all day and desperate for a sit down, but unable to find anywhere so have sat in on a talk even if only for the sit down.

With so many paid talks now, that rules out the stage areas for people to go sit for a bit, so will SM be providing now a free area to sit down in for those who need it for whatever reason?

This isn't really even about the fact that the talks are paid for really, it's the fact that they are now £15 - the same cost as an auto! Although I really really really really want to see the Norman Reedus talk I won't be able to afford to. £15 is way too expensive. Up the entrance fees and keep most talks free is how I see it.

• Like 6

I get that people are disappointed that these talks aren't free, but I'm getting depressed about the amount of moaning that's going on. I was so excited about the recent guest announcements and the talks but you guys are really harshing my squee :(

Can see why a lot of people are annoyed. In these tough economic times a lot of us don't exactly have extra money to fork out. An extra £15 for various talks on top of what someone was already planning to do can mount up.

Personally I was already planning to go to the Hayden Panettiere talk and fully expected to need to pay for it, but there are other guests where I'm surprised that you need to pay for their talk.

I'm just currently hoping that one of the free ones will be some kind of Stargate talks with Chris, Ben and possibly Jewel on the Saturday. Would like to see Normans talk but to me there would need to be at least 1 other Walking Dead cast member to justify paying extra.

The thing that also bugs me is that this announcement should have been made a couple of months ago, at least to let people know that there will be a number of paid talks so this could have given me time to make adjustments in my budget.

I know people don't appreciate the moaning, but to land this bombshell so close to the event is not ideal at all. Someone made a good point earlier on, that an empty talk is not great for either the guests or the attendees.

The fans of Showmasters feel a bit cheated, and why shoudn't they? The price attached to the talks isn't good value for money. What has changed since last year's LFCC that has led to so many more paid talks?

People just aren't going to pay for talks, they were pretty much empty at CM:MK and that made it much more awkward when no one had any questions to ask, an interviewer would be good, but this is just another ongoing debate that has never been resolved.

I know people don't like the moaning, but an explanation from Jason or one of the Showmasters team to put peoples minds at ease would be appreciated.

Edited by BreakingBad123
  • Like 1

People are only annoyed because it has been stated that CMMK talks are paid and LFCC are mostly free with the few exceptions. This year the paid talks out weigh the free ones and we would like to know why they have suddenly gone from being free to a massive £15 jump. Will most talks continue to be around £15? Previously I have seen Buffy / Firefly / John Hurt / Star Trek talks for free at LFCC so to go from paying nothing to £15 seems way over the odds.

I think new customers of showmasters will either just either not go to talks or rush into buying tickets anyway which is fair enough but what about the loyal customers that come back event after event? We see this as a massive issue and are simply asking for some kind of explanation. As someone that has attended most of their events (see signature) it would be nice to see why this cost is now being implemented. And yes, before anyone says anything I am aware that showmasters is a business and has to make money etc, etc, but this event has been building up over years (I went to the first ever LFCC) and is becoming busier than ever with added comic artists and cosplay stuff etc, so why are prices suddenly sky rocketing so much? Charging someone something is one thing but this just seems a bit too much too fast.

• Like 5

Things change, it's natural, I was at the first LFCC too and I've been doing these events for nearly 10 years. When I started there were no photoshoots, then they started doing photoshoots and there was a huge outcry from people saying why should they pay for a photo with a guest when for years they'd had free photos over the desk. But now photoshoots are one of the busiest and most requested parts of the events. And things will have gotten more expensive over the years. This event has had to move to a different venue to normal, I'm going to assume there are cost implications to that, and guest fees will have gotten more expensive over the years too, and yet entrance fees to the event have stayed the same and for the most part autographs have stayed pretty much the same too. I have no issue with them charging for a number of the more popular talks, especially those that will have multiple guests taking part, since time when a talk is taking place is time when those guests are not signing autographs and are therefore not generating income. If you have a talk with 3 to 5 guests taking place, that's a huge chunk of income that's being lost if the talk is free. It makes business sense therefore to charge for some of the talks.

Edited by jael001

Seeing as Norman Reedus is the only reason I'm attending LFCC in the first place I'm excited he's doing a talk, but what with travel, entry, photoshoot and autograph costs, I think £15 for half an hour is a bit steep. I'll have to decide on the day if it'll be worth it.