Dedications - yes or no?

AutoBot

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get your autographed made out to your name?

• Yes
    • No, signature only

Are you going to get your autographs dedicated to you, or will you go for the signature only?

As someone who's not really an autograph collector, I also wonder which of the two is most common among collectors?

idk, when i've gotten things signed before it's always been ~things~ like dvds and there hasn't been room for a dedication. i'm guessing it will be the same this year cause i have my s6 who dvds and got blurays to get signed :)

I prefer mine personalized if at all possible. I don't get autos for their sale value - they're all mine! :D I do understand if the guests don't have time to do more than a signature, though.

I usually get mine signed with my name on them, but when it comes to objects and Star Trek autographs, I just go for the signature. Reason is because my very first Trek autograph from Nimoy didn't have my name on it, so I decided to get them all without my name so that they "match".

I really hope the guests don't think that just because you don't get something personalized, you intend to sell it or something.

• Like 1

I really hope the guests don't think that just because you don't get something personalized, you intend to sell it or something.

I'm sure they don't. Especially with objects, where a lot of writing isn't practical. I actually feel more guilty sometimes that I don't bring something more personal like a DVD or poster. I go for photos because they're easiest to store and won't need replacing in my collection (unlike a DVD, say, which I might want to upgrade to a better format someday), and sometimes I get some lovely additional dedications on them because of the extra space. Whatever works for you, right?

undedicated for me. I know what my name is and don't need it scribbled on all of my photos. I also try to get a lot of multi signed items so if each signer dedicated it would limit the amount of signers I could fit on it

Definitely dedicated, unless it's a big group picture of something where there isn't room.

It's a very personal thing to me, and I have no intention of ever selling any of my collection so it's dedication all the way :smile:

In my opinion, which others many not share, it's also an added proof that I met them in person, anyone can buy an autograph on ebay or somewhere like that, but when it's dedicated others know it's authentic. Plus it takes the guest longer to sign and you can talk to them for longer :whistling:

There have been a few instances when I've actually wanted the Guest to dedicate it and then the rest when I've preferred a straight forward Signature it sometimes depends really doesn't it.

For me it's always not dedicated. Partly it's because I don't want a massive collection reminding me of my name (I've still got all the memories), partly it's because the first guest I ever met was John Barrowman at CM:MK 13 and he had no personalisations rule. I don't ever plan to sell them on, I just prefer them that way.

My favourite dedication was when I met Vic Armstrong - he had his Autobiography with him when I met him a few months back and he asked if I would like him to personalise it I of course said "Yes" and whilst he Signed we started talking about Harrison Ford, afterwards he asked me if I would like Wendy to sign it to which I said "Yes please." and she Signed as well.

After shaking both their hands and going I went back to my Friend opened the Book and seen that he hadnt just put a "Nice to meet you." or "To Richard happy Reading"

It was a FIVE line inscription

To me, that book is priceless now

to me always if possible stopped getting anthing else signed just have no room for it anymore got so many videos signed and dont even own a video player anymore i sure given time the same could be said for any other format so make sense to me to just get photos now

It varies for me - like SammyRomie I have some things started (such as my film one sheets) that are autos only, and so I aim to stick with that. With something like a book without a doubt I'll go with a dedication.

Edited by MikeDonovan

The only times I didn't have mine dedicated were when the demand was so big they say "no personalisations". So far I think I have 2, maybe 3, that don't have my name on. I know personalisations decrease the value, but I don't get them to sell on. They are purely for me.

I don't pay for any autographs with the intention of selling them on - it's not something I'd make any money on anyway, but 99% of the time I get undedicated. It leaves my options open should I need to sell them later. Besides I won't be around for ever.

Nothing worse on eBay than seeing a great signed photo dedicated 'To Freddie, Jo and Molly' One name at least you might find a matching buyer

I've decided that when I see Vic on Saturday I'll ask him if he would be so kind to dedicate when I take this for him:

BondIndiana.jpg

To be honest, I'm not a HUGE Bond fan and I wont lie and say that I am, so I wont be trying to get any Bonds on it, or indeed anyone else, but for me it was the skill and the amazing action sequences that was brought to Bond by Vic that I'm most impressed by so I'd only be having him and Wendy sign/dedicate it would be more special that way.

In general terms, normally get the item dedicated, but it does vary.

For example, for a 10x8 with just the actor on, probably would get them to dedicate if they have time to, but if getting a cast shot then probably just the name as you do tend to run out of space.

Generally at Premieres for example you don't really get a choice as they are signing so quickly you are just happy to get your squiggle, but ironically that works in favour of the dealers, rather than the Collectors. I've certainly experience some actors at stage doors who will only dedicate in the hope I guess that dealers won't spend the spend the time wanting to remove the dedications.

• Like 1

Personalisations feel so special. I love looking at my signed books with my name on. The only thing I don't get personalised are CD covers as if I'm getting whole band to sign it can be very hard!

I always get them personalised whenever possible, I love it as they feel more like they belong to me. Haven't got any cast pics started or signed yet (unless you count the Phelps twins ). I don't mind if they're not if the guest was busier or had a painful hand (James Marsters) but is always nice if they are as it does help bring up a memory. My John Rhys Davies one is amazing and so great so am always glad if I get a special message. Will never sell my collection on so the personalisations wont ever affect in a monetary way.