the amount of guests that have cancelled this year is shocking!

chloepop

• Moderators

There's certainly been the same amount of cancellations for some previous events. Sadly it's not the first time.

Obviously depends who you're interested in. Some friends are still getting 10 guests and weren't meeting ANY of the cancelled ones, yet others pretty much have no one left now :(

It's sad but whether a guest is ill, or if they're having to work, we just have to understand through the disappointment. After all, it is often the reason we love them in the first place! :) plus Showmasters try to reschedule ASAP.

I certainly hope everyone still manages to have a great time though!

• Like 1

it actually is, very much dissapointed..

I've made my feelings on the subject of my favourite guest cancelling clear, I'm glad that Zach is attending LFCC but he was really my main priority for this event.

I just hope and pray that Jeff Rawle still is a Guest - its not as though I often get excited about Guest announcements unless they are specifically something to do with my Fandoms i.e. X-Files, Indiana Jones etc.

The only silver lining here is that in the case of Zach we will be seeing him next month and I hope that for wahtever reason he cannot attned on Saturday is not out of illness or some other thing.

Gremlins (as a kid born in 76) and so was around when such films like Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Goonies and of course Empire and Jedi with Indy were released this was part of my childhood.

Also (I was going to go over my initial budget with Zach by 100%) and even though this would have stretched me I would have done it without a second thought but at least with him coming next month I wi;l have more of the shiny stuff to spend on him.

Edited by KingRichard76

• Moderators

I've always thought of it as at least it shows what actors/actresses are willing to do shows. They might need to cancel, but at least now we know they're definitely possible, and they'll hopefully turn up sometime soon! :)

• Like 2

I am disappointed, but this is out of Showmaster's hands. I was gonna buy my ticket for The Games, then that got cancelled. Yeah, that was bad enough then two out of the four guests for that fandom cancel. I am annoyed, but it's something we can't stop.

Totally agree there... People shouldn't get worked up over this.. It happened.. Showmasters can't hold the guest in cells n chain them up to make sure they come to the event... These humans also got to make a living and work commitments more than likely will come first

• Like 1

I've always thought of it as at least it shows what actors/actresses are willing to do shows. They might need to cancel, but at least now we know they're definitely possible, and they'll hopefully turn up sometime soon! :)

you are always so positive David, it's made me a little more optimistic that I'll see the guests who have cancelled again!

• Like 1

theres always going to be cancellations at any event but i dont think its helped this year having it the same weekend as the diamond jubilee to be honest a lot of events are going on and the guests have friends and families as well who may have other things planned so this one was always going to be difficult.

Edited by buffy2k

• Moderators

you are always so positive David, it's made me a little more optimistic that I'll see the guests who have cancelled again!

Oh I'm sure you will. More often than not the cancelled guests do appear elsewhere eventually :)

There's just so many actors and actresses that you just never know whether they'd do an event or not. At least with these you know they were happy to, so they're more likely lol

Unfortunately a lot of cancellations occur a few days before. So far, I've had one reschedule for LFCC (which I am attending anyway), so I seem to have got away with most of my guest commitments thus far, but I do feel bad for those who were only attending for guests who've now cancelled (I remember the old days when I turned up for only one or two guests - and boy, was it cheaper on my bank balance! - and I would have been gutted if that guest had cancelled shortly before the event). But these things happen, and with luck we'll get another chance to meet those guests sometime.

• Like 1

yes i am so happy he hasnt cancelled completley...

If he had of cancelled completely then I wouldnt have been happy but at least it means I can work on my budget for him when I do

Yeah the Jubilee wont be effecting it really. In fact it'd be better if anything. Most of the stuff is happening on the monday and tuesday so if guests were coming over for it, they coulddo the event and the Jubilee.

This year the MTV movie awards is happening this weekend so thats why a few of the younger/recently working guests would of cancelled.

It is always sad to see that a guest you want to meet has cancelled. Unfortunately, this has happened with 3 guests that I had planned on meeting this year.

However, guests do cancel. In some respects I would rather a guest cancel than never be announced at all, because as David said it shows that they are willing do do events and that there is a strong chance we'll see them over here soon.

These events are not part of their job, they don't have to do them at all. But they enjoy meeting fans and "giving back" something to the community that have given them support, which is a lovely sentiment.

However, if they have work committments they HAVE to do them. From personal experience, when my work calls, I have to go running. I'm not an actress or anything like that, I work offshore. So I often only get 24hours notice of when I'll be working. In fact last year I missed my own birthday party! All my friends had booked it off, and travelled down to London but I got a lost minute call and couldn't go! So I understand completely why guests have to cancel.

SM are really good at rebooking guests who have cancelled, so I have faith we'll be seeing them all at some point!

I think the main problem is they're mostly guests who are related by shows/fandoms/friendships e.g. Leven, Thomas & Chris, so the fans who are disappointed are very disappointed and many people aren't impacted. But these things do happen unfortunately, it's always a risky business. I just hope Lena and Jessica do make it over!!

to be honest cancellations are a pain but they go with terrortory. but there is huge glaring problem with these cancellations, why are people who have ordered autos/pics with not being emailed with this info. as im sure 90% of the people who go to these events DO NOT hang around the forums. can u imagine if you'd booked just those 4-5 guests,and only wanted them travelled across country,booked hotel ect to be hit with news !!! :-O

• Moderators

to be honest cancellations are a pain but they go with terrortory. but there is huge glaring problem with these cancellations, why are people who have ordered autos/pics with not being emailed with this info. as im sure 90% of the people who go to these events DO NOT hang around the forums. can u imagine if you'd booked just those 4-5 guests,and only wanted them travelled across country,booked hotel ect to be hit with news !!! :-O

It's updated on the website too. I am sure any sensible person would check somewhere first to make sure their guest was still coming.

Edited by DavidB

Of course cancellations are unavoidable, they always seem to happen, but the problem comes with rescheduling.

For me, I do not own a car, I have to rent one to get to Milton Keynes.

Collectormania has been scheduled for the Jubilee weekend, which means if I hire, I have to keep the car until next Wednesday due to there being two bank holidays. Hang, on Karen Gillan and John Barrowman are coming, that means I need to get to Milton Keynes in the early hours of Saturday morning, so I'll have to pick up the car on Friday if I want any hope of acquiring VQ tickets to see them - which means five days car rental!

Now if I wanted to meet Zach or James for example, instead of simply waiting until Collectormania MK next year, I'd have to purchase some very expensive train tickets (I will not drive in London).

Five days car rental, plus petrol, and the (very expensive) train tickets for my family as well, doesn't leave me with much money to purchase autographs and photoshoots does it? I just only hope that no other CMK guests are "rescheduled" to any London events!

• Moderators

They're rescheduled to when they are available.

Who is to say they'd ever be available for an MK event again? Would you suggest its better to never have them to an event again?

Makes more sense to me to give people the option.

This is going to happen at every event, and yes it is harsh, but you live and learn. The best approach is to go along and enjoy the show anyway, because half the fun is the atmosphere, the event, making new friends etc and whilst the guests are important if they can't make it this time, hopefully they will show up again at a future event. As other posters have said there will be a range of reasons why they can't make the event and particularly for actors if they get offered work they need to take it in a notoriously unstable industry.

• Like 1