Expensive Event

chrismk

Hi

We weren't at MK last year and we rarely do the talks so I didn't realise the talks were paid for at this event - I thought this was somthing new. Glad to hear the talk at other events are free.

While I'm on the subject, the last time we were at MK (2 years ago) the event was in the upper tier of the stadium and the weather was terrible. Is it the same setup this year - I'm only asking because we have a seven month old baby with us now who is susceptible to a lot of colds (I know CM can't do anything about the weather lol)

thanks

Steve,

As far as I'm aware , I believe construction around the upper tier of the Stadium is now complete and therefore not as open/exposed to the elements as it may have been the past few years. Another member who's local may be able to confirm that for you.

This kind of thing just goes round in circles. The organisers set what they feel to be reasonable prices to pay for the event given the expected number of attendees. Some people will think it's fair, some people won't be able to afford it and think it's unreasonable.

Talks and parties were always paid at this event in years past so that's not unusual. If you don't think it's good value, don't pay it. Simple.

Jason isn't here to make it so that everyone can afford to meet every guest or go to every talk or party. That's unrealistic. He has a business to run and for all we know, not having paid talks in previous years may have meant it's lost a lot of money. I don't know.

I've been going since CM4 and over the years have had to miss out on certain guests or talks because I couldn't afford it. Did I criticise Jason for that? no, of course not. I didn't have the money and had to choose what and who I spent it on. Sometimes it was just one guest. Sometimes I went to a talk as well.

You can't just think about the poor student or unemployed person who can't afford to spend much, the event has to make money and that will control the prices implemented. It's then up to the indivdual to decide what they feel is good value or what they can afford, spend accordingly and make decisions on what to miss out, however much they might like to go to the party or talks. If you can't afford it, then that's unfortunate but it's not Jasons fault.

It's the same with concerts. A band I really like have just announced shows for next year, Tickets work out around £80+. Saw them last year for around £60 and a couple of years before that for around £40. While I would still love to go and see them I think the current price is too high, doesn't offer good value and I'm regretfully deciding not to go. Plenty of people will still pay that though but I think it's a step too far.

Yes I too think the party is expensive but then I'm not a big party person and some of the talks are too and I probably won't be going to either but I don't have an unlimited budget and would rather spend the money on autographs/photoshoots.

If everyone feels it's unreasonble then the hall will be very empty and Jason will have to rethink his strategy in the future but until then the prices are what he feels he needs to charge while keeping it as reasonable as possible and the attendee makes the decision.

I realise it seems I'm defending Jason here and you can't please all the people all of the time but I have to accept that the prices are what they are and I either pay it or I don't.

Just got to the end of this thread and am a bit upset by it if im being honest . Value for money should be in meeting the wonderful guests sm get us every year and not how much it costs. I will admit this year is more expensive for me but that is from 4 autos and a double shoot. Which is my choice not sm

So can everyone quit having a pointless discussion , which Jason has clearly settled . And stop being rude to the mods who are only trying to help

• Like 2

Just got to the end of this thread and am a bit upset by it if im being honest . Value for money should be in meeting the wonderful guests sm get us every year and not how much it costs. I will admit this year is more expensive for me but that is from 4 autos and a double shoot. Which is my choice not sm

So can everyone quit having a pointless discussion , which Jason has clearly settled . And stop being rude to the mods who are only trying to help

Well said.

I wasn't going to reply again, but this has annoyed me. Clearly, you don't grasp the concept of 'value for money'. It IS partly about 'how much it costs', that would be the 'money' part. If your most favourite guest was doing a signing and charging £5000 a ticket, you might WANT to go, but clearly it would be poor value for money. If your favourite guest was charging £5, it would be very good value for money. Value for money is determined by things like comparrison, NOT what can be afforded. If John Barrowman charged £5 for an autograph, then it would be good value for money, regardless of whether someone could afford it or not. Likewise, £25 for a party ticket might be considered poor value for money, by someone who CAN afford it. There's always choice, but choice is irrelevant when considering value for money (again, you are confusing it with 'cost').

Jason has said his bit. I don't agree with it, but as he rightly pointed out, it's his show and I hope it's wildly successful and I'm proved wrong. Can I afford the parties? Yes. Will I go to them? No. (That's my choice BASED on value for money.)

• Like 1

I wasn't going to reply again, but this has annoyed me. Clearly, you don't grasp the concept of 'value for money'. It IS partly about 'how much it costs', that would be the 'money' part. If your most favourite guest was doing a signing and charging £5000 a ticket, you might WANT to go, but clearly it would be poor value for money. If your favourite guest was charging £5, it would be very good value for money. Value for money is determined by things like comparrison, NOT what can be afforded. If John Barrowman charged £5 for an autograph, then it would be good value for money, regardless of whether someone could afford it or not. Likewise, £25 for a party ticket might be considered poor value for money, by someone who CAN afford it. There's always choice, but choice is irrelevant when considering value for money (again, you are confusing it with 'cost').

Jason has said his bit. I don't agree with it, but as he rightly pointed out, it's his show and I hope it's wildly successful and I'm proved wrong. Can I afford the parties? Yes. Will I go to them? No. (That's my choice BASED on value for money.)

This is just gonig around in circle I think.. CM:MK is a different sort of event compared to those events of ME (Hub etc) CM:MK and LFCC are all signing events and ME events are cons. At the end of the day.. The parties will be priced as they got to cover all the costs of room hire, DJ etc... and the guests may not come free...

I can see you point that you think it may be expensive.. but like everyone else has said.. then don't go!!! Your not gonig to get everything.

Also value for money is to each person perspective... I would be £25 to go a party with guests attending... As you may never get the chance to do that again if you only go to SM events like I do...

And you said it yourself.. you won't be going.. so just leave it there...

Signing events are difficult to judge for a person's costs. For example last couple of MK events I have only got one or no autographs because I wasn't really interested in most of the guests, but I know people who were getting autographs from ten guests or more.

This year is a good one for me because I am a fan of The Hunger Games and Terminator TV series :borg: but I'm sure for some this years event isn't as attractive as others. As for the parties I was surprised that £25 was the price, but I would go if I could (a party with Leven Rambin :wub: is worth paying for), but I can see that the price would put some people off.

It is a very different price structure to an ME weekend event, so it is abit unfair to compare them.

It is a very different price structure to an ME weekend event, so it is abit unfair to compare them.

Yes at a weekend event everyone is paying for the parties, regardless or not if they go. If I go a weekend event can I have money back for not going to the party?

I find all this talk of going around in circles amusing, considering the venue B)

Yes at a weekend event everyone is paying for the parties, regardless or not if they go. If I go a weekend event can I have money back for not going to the party?

I find all this talk of going around in circles amusing, considering the venue B)

Haha Terrahawk!!

I love the comment about going around in circles.....quite literally. Can't think how many times I walked around in circles at CM16...but at least I lost some weight. lol

I'm a single mum on benefits. I can't afford any pleasures. I have no vices since I gave up smoking some years ago now. I rarely drink. I don't drive, can't afford to. I don't go on holidays. But as soon as Michael Dorn was announced I knew NOTHING would stop me from coming. I've managed to save up and go for Residents pass as this in my mind is going to be the best event EVER. Value for money?...I can see the point about a party costing £25...I wouldn't pay that to get into a club over here in Jersey. But then I've paid Flights to UK, Residents pass...and I think around 16 photo shoots. When I saw the price of the talks I thought in two minds...one - I'd heard they'd been free in other locations...but then I can totally get why Jason has to charge with his overheads....two - I thought it very reasonable....being able to hear your favourite actors chatting and answering questions. I can't wait for the parties and though £25 sounds expensive imagine how much some people would pay to meet ONE Celeb let alone partying with more than one. I'm contemplating going Gold...wish I could get discount as I've already got Residents pass...but nothing is going to stop me getting into those talks I want to hear.

ShowMasters / Jason........you're the best. And if people wanna carry on going around in circles then maybe you should pipe in the Benny Hill music hehehe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Like 1

I understand that the roof has now been finished so it should be a bit less draughty (fingers crossed) but I'd advise being prepared for it being cold.

Agreed. Reading's Madejski Stadium also has a roof on it, but that doesn't stop it being the coldest place in the western hemisphere... :eek:

Personally I fail to see how you can compare a con to a signing event it's like comparing whether milk or cheese is best for your cereal because they're both dairy products and ignoring the two very different tastes they'd create

Personally I fail to see how you can compare a con to a signing event it's like comparing whether milk or cheese is best for your cereal because they're both dairy products and ignoring the two very different tastes they'd create

They both have guests, attendees, autographs, photo shoots, dealers and now talks and parties. Its really quite easy to compare them.

Also, you CAN compare milk or cheese (really, cheese?) for your cereal, again, its quite a simple comparison. A difficult comparison would be between a can of tuna and a space shuttle.

Taste is irrelevant when looking at value for money.

Edited by chrismk

They both have guests, attendees, autographs, photo shoots, dealers and now talks and parties. Its really quite easy to compare them.

But think of the differences. At a convention, there's no worry about getting autographs from popular guests because everybody's guaranteed to get at least one, and you're all organised into groups for your signings so you don't need to start queueing from ludicrous a.m., and generally you're in a nice warm hotel so you can just sit down and relax when you want. Conversely, if a signing event has a really popular guest, there will be a risk of not getting an autograph, and a need to either get up at the crack of sparrow's fart to get a good VT or otherwise wait around all day for the chance to get an auto. And a common moan about signing events is that there's never anything like enough seating if people just want to sit down for a few minutes. Obviously, therefore, given the inconveniences of this latter type of event, you'd expect it to be more expensive for a similar level of "attractions" purchased :cool:

Actually I'm quite happy to concede that based upon the variation in venue types for these events and facilities required that in this case the prices being charged are reasonable and understandable. But I can also see your point that as events go this could be viewed as pricey.

And for those who say you can't compare them, you can compare any two things - your perception that the comparison isn't valid doesn't necessarily mean that somebody else's perception to the contrary is wrong. I have a friend who would maintain you could not possibly compare Eunice Alberts to Joan Sutherland, on the grounds that one was a contralto and the other was a coloratura soprano - absolutely chalk and cheese, no comparison possible. I, on the other hand think they're a couple of female classical singers and as such can quite readily be compared...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Despite what some may think, we don't actually delete stuff unless necessary ;)

As long as people are discussing reasonably then it's not really a problem, but if it's starting to go round in circles and causing arguments then it might be best to close it.

As David said... we have gone full circle now another time, and are also on the fast track of leaving the discussion level. A discussion means by default that not everyone will agree. Remarks like the one above are unnecessary, so I am going to close this here. If Jason wants to make an additional post he is going to open it again.

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

chrismk I think you have had your fun and I do not think many agree with you. I have let this run, but you have been here before and i think you need to understand people want these things and they see it very different to you , I have let you had your say many times here mate , I also get the right to say things to and I do feel you have pushed your point a little too far but you cannot say we have been unfair to you on this matter , you have had your say and made the first post, now I get the right to have the last post and this thread is dead, and has really gone around the stadium way too many times. I do not think I will let it run like this again in the future , I think Chris, you just have to agree these events mean different things to different people and you have to see they are happy to attend and pay for the things we are offering

Edited by Rhianydd