Non-Stargate Guests

claire316

As we wait for more guests to be announced, I'm curious how people feel about having non Stargate guests at the event (i.e. a cast member from one of the Stargate actors others shows)?

I know it has been done before, but I personally have never seen Sanctuary so that would not be a drawing factor for me.

Do you like to keep things purely Stargate, would you like more of a mix, or do you think it should be more of a combined event?

Generally I agree the event should be kept on topic to the relevant set of shows but I really enjoyed Sanctuary and Robin was a great guest at 7.8 so I didn't mind that in the slightest.

I realise some people weren't too keen but it was great for me and he was brilliant fun and mixed so well with the others that it didn't really cross my mind he was from a different show.

Well there are a lot of SG actors who cross over into Sanctuary and vice versa..

But yeah I think it should be kept to Stargate or anything related to the SG Cast such as Sanctuary or McGuyver lol

I think with Robin it was kind of special, because he has this special friendship-bond with Amanda that makes them hilarious together. It's not like inviting a Sanctuary guest randomly. Robin usually does cons with Amanda, so I guess the organizers were, why not?

I'm glad he was there, as it was a blast, but personally I don't know how it would work out for a Stargate con to have that many other guests from other shows. After all this is Stargate con. I'd be fine with Sanctuary guest, but I imagine that for many people that wouldn't be so optional. And other shows then Sanctuary? Like what? With Sanctuary at least the 90% of the cast is from Stargate (funily enough except Robin.;)) so couldn't miss that big with that, but what kind of other shows and guest are you thinking about? :)

I think with Robin it was kind of special, because he has this special friendship-bond with Amanda that makes them hilarious together. It's not like inviting a Sanctuary guest randomly. Robin usually does cons with Amanda, so I guess the organizers were, why not?

They do seem to come as a pair at cons at the moment. I think he appreciated what the event was about but there were enough people into Sanctuary too to make him not feel out of place and everyone seemed to enjoy meeting him as he was so welcoming and funny.

I'm glad he was there, as it was a blast, but personally I don't know how it would work out for a Stargate con to have that many other guests from other shows.

It shouldn't really. 7.8 was a little different but I don't think it should become the norm. I appreciate that a lot of ex-Stargate cast have appeared in Sanctuary but should it include guests that have been in that but not Stargate? Not sure it should. You've got 3 Gate franchises to pull guests from though so that should be enough to keep the event going for a while longer at least without spreading into other shows.

Edited by Rockstar6662

I do like the idea of having Sanctuary guests, as said above most of the cast are from Stargate anyways. But i do understand that not everyone is a huge fan of that show, where it may be a draw for some, it may also be off putting too..

Yeah, given the 17 seasons of television the organizers can work with, I think there are plenty of actors in the Stargate franchise to keep us going without needing to poach them from other shows. I didn't mind having Robin there (although it did seem a little weird to me), but I wouldn't want it to turn into a regular thing. I come to Chevron for the Stargate action. If other random actors were invited, it would be less Chevron and more... well, who knows what?

Edited by blewupthesun

I agree with blewupthesun if we started inviting other people it would be less chevron and more who knows what. I like sanctuary but I primeraly go to chevron because of my big love for stargate. Also people have said there are 17 seasons of stargate actors to go through and as many offen return I don't see why we should need to delve into other shows. Robin was the acception because i think there is a thing where he and ammanda come as a package at the moment.They have been doing all there cons togather reiscently. I'm not sure I'd want it to become regular for them to have non SG guests anyway as SG is the reason i go to chevron.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit that Robin was a unique addition to 7.8 and his association with Amanda was probably why he was invited, but I think he added something different to the event that we won't see again.

There are quite a few Stargate\Sanctuary cross-over guests that we have already seen or could see in the future,such as Ryan or Paul and such additions could bring in people who are maybe not Stargate fans but are fans of another show that the actor has also appeared in.

In the end it's numbers attending that will keep these events going and adding a guest or two on the periphery of the Stargate world to achieve this is a price worth paying.

Ian Barker i agree seeing Robin was nice but this is c stargate convention. ifs fine when the actors are in both stargate and sanctuary but to get non SG actors on a regular basis might put off the fans who are going for their love of stargate. if people like other showa then im sure they will be able to find conventions for that show somewhere. i know actors being in both SG and sanctuary will bring in more paying guests but i dont think we should be bringin in non stargate actors when the convention is getting enough paying guests to survive. plus new people are coming each year so as long as tickets are sold the con will servive. i know as long as they happen i'll come atleast once a year for several years to come.

I'm afraid that the more non Stargate guests added the less likely I am to attend. I have never watched Sanctuary except once to see what it was like so if they tried to add more guests outside of Stargate then they would be a couple of golds down.

I attend for a Stargate weekend not a TV mixed show event. I would agree Robin was a good sport and was popular with the ladies but it was Amanda I wanted to see....

I was happy to see Robin last time because I like Sanctuary and it's a done thing that him and Amanda are doing events together. However, I went because of Amanda and I would prefer Chevrons to stay purely Stargate focused, unless the guest was both in Stargate and Sanctuary.

• Like 1

Ian Barker i agree seeing Robin was nice but this is c stargate convention. ifs fine when the actors are in both stargate and sanctuary but to get non SG actors on a regular basis might put off the fans who are going for their love of stargate. if people like other showa then im sure they will be able to find conventions for that show somewhere. i know actors being in both SG and sanctuary will bring in more paying guests but i dont think we should be bringin in non stargate actors when the convention is getting enough paying guests to survive. plus new people are coming each year so as long as tickets are sold the con will servive. i know as long as they happen i'll come atleast once a year for several years to come.

I agree that keeping Chevron a Stargate event is important, but what I was trying to say is just how far do we stretch that.

For example, would you accept Agam Darshi as a guest, even though she's far better know for playing Kate Freelander in Sanctuary, than her few seconds in Stargate Universe.

Personally I think that now that we've had RDA and Amanda attend, getting that big draw to the Chevron events will be hard, there's only so many times you can get Michael Shanks autograph. Chevron events are my annual holidays and I'll probably have spend well over a grand on the two events this year, but unless there's a really big guest announced for the events next year, that money will be going elsewhere.

Now you may say that I'm just one person, but I usually come with a friend, so that's well over two grand being lost by Massive Events. It will only take a few more like-minded people to see the events cancelled for good because it is no longer financially viable.

Massive Events are always branching out into new areas, sometimes it works, but the recent cancellation of the Hunger Games event and no more Hub events show that once interest and attendance drop these events will also be dropped.

^ You seem to be failing to take into the consideration that there are plenty of newer fans of the franchise (myself included) who weren't even watching SG-1 back when Chevron 7 first happened, let alone know about conventions like this one. My first con was 7.8, and I plan to continue attending them for as long as I am able to. You and your friend may not be bringing ME any more money soon, but there are plenty of new faces who will.

Edited by blewupthesun

^ You seem to be failing to take into the consideration that there are plenty of newer fans of the franchise (myself included) who weren't even watching SG-1 back when Chevron 7 first happened, let alone know about conventions like this one. My first con was 7.8, and I plan to continue attending them for as long as I am able to. You and your friend may not be bringing ME any more money soon, but there are plenty of new faces who will.

I agree with this, I myself have been a fan since Stargate's beginning, but I only could start going to conventions abroad last year, so Chevron 7.8 was my first Chevron and I plan on attending in the future for all the guests others have already met, but not me.

Edited by SammyRomie

I have attended 4 chevrons and am still chasing Michael Shanks since the first one. The thought that a stargate guest may be passed over to secure someone from another TV show to potentially increase numbers concerns me. If I wished to attend a mixed signing event I would, but, I spend a not inconsiderable sum of money twice a year for Stargate. I'm sorry if other show's dont have the fan base to have a con of their own but to dilute the guest list in attempt to lure others in will merely alienate myself and other fans.

I am sure some people would think a strip tease or a lapdancing section would boost numbers but I think that is yet another road we dont want to go down......

Chevron 7.X for Stargate fans other shows without the fan base can get their fix at the signing events and not compromise what is a very successful venture.