What kind of fan are you...?

When there is an convention (or however is is called) you can be sure there will be lots of fan who show up fully dressed as their favorite character. (isn't that Trekkie style?)

Or if you don't come fully dressed, you know each and every episode from your favorite serie by head (isn't that Trekker style?)

I believe that is what Kate said in the interview from "Captains Log".

But What if you are both not? What if you don't walk around like your favorite character and do not know every episode by head? But you do like to collect things (items) from your show / favo person. What kind of fan are you then?

No judgment here, just a "thinking through". (and other peoples ideas are very welcome :-))

Edited by Annick

Always considered myself a Trekster - I played Star Trek videos/DVDs on the machine

Or maybe a Trekian, in that I followed Trek.

Got videos, got a full collection of TOS and its sequels on DVD (no Enterprise), got a lot of Mags. But thats pretty much it. No autographs.

There is no difference. None. There is a saying about this silly debate:

"The only difference between a Trekker and a Trekkie is that a Trekker thinks there is a difference between the two words."

Trekkie is a real word, Trekker started to surface when scared Star Trek fans thought that the world viewed all Trekkies as someone who had no life and lived in their parents basement.

Call yourself Trekkie, call yourself Trekker. There is no difference. If someone wonders how devoted you are, just tell them how much of a fan you are in your own words.

"The only difference between a Trekker and a Trekkie is that a Trekker thinks there is a difference between the two words."

Trekkie is a real word, Trekker started to surface when scared Star Trek fans thought that the world viewed all Trekkies as someone who had no life and lived in their parents basement.

Call yourself Trekkie, call yourself Trekker. There is no difference. If someone wonders how devoted you are, just tell them how much of a fan you are in your own words.

^This. I'm a Trekkie. I don't dress up in a Starfleet uniform in my spare time. I don't speak Klingon. And I like a lot of other things besides Star Trek and sci-fi. I don't buy into the notion that you need to call yourself a Trekker to somehow distance yourself from "those other super-obsessive, sad fans over there" (whoever they might be). Trekkie is a great and perfectly serviceable word. Why not reclaim it? As you say, everyone has their own level of 'devotion' to the wonderful creation that is Star Trek and silly distinctions like this are besides the point.

Anyway, I'm a Niner too!

I call myself a Trekkie.

Why? I like how it sounds and was the original name for Star Trek fans.

^This. I'm a Trekkie. I don't dress up in a Starfleet uniform in my spare time. I don't speak Klingon. And I like a lot of other things besides Star Trek and sci-fi. I don't buy into the notion that you need to call yourself a Trekker to somehow distance yourself from "those other super-obsessive, sad fans over there" (whoever they might be). Trekkie is a great and perfectly serviceable word. Why not reclaim it? As you say, everyone has their own level of 'devotion' to the wonderful creation that is Star Trek and silly distinctions like this are besides the point.

Anyway, I'm a Niner too!

I second this. :borg:

When I was 6 there was a school fete with a Star Trek room done by a club, an adult 'Trekker' in charge of a display turned there nose up at me because I was a 'Trekkie'. I'd gone in all excited because I didn't know anyone that liked it, but was scared to talk to anyone after that.

Edited by kafun

I'm just a big fan of the show. I love the stories, the characters and the idea. But, I don't dress up or learn the languages or anything. I think it's more than great that people do that stuff though, it's just not for me. The furthest I go is watch the same episodes over and over again over the years, and talk about it for some fun on online forums. I've been watching it since I was 5 years old so it means a lot to me. Becuase of that I know a lot about the details of the actual universe and the production side. So I don't know where I fit in.

Anyway, I'm a Niner too!

Definitely agree with both of you.

I'm a Trekkie, it's the recognised term for Star Trek fans. Trekker doesn't sound right to me.

I've always thought that a Trekker was someone who didn't really want to be identified as a hardcore Star Trek fan (or geek). Outside of Trek and sci-fi fandom, nobody even knows the term Trekker.

There are so many different definitions of both Trekkie and Trekker though. Some people say a Trekkie dresses up and learns Klingon while Trekkers aren't that religious about it, others think the complete opposite. The fact is they're the same thing, people just choose which they think they are.

I really don't get the point in calling yourself a Trekker though, and people who think the term Trekkie is offensive must be a bit crazy :D

Trekker was created when TNG became so popular - it was a fun way for fans to say they started watching with the new stuff and not the old stuff, not that one group was better than the other. If you're turning your nose up at Trekker then you're just as prejudiced as the folk that turn their nose up at Trekkie.

come on, it's all fun, no matter what you want to call yourself!

Trekker was created when TNG became so popular - it was a fun way for fans to say they started watching with the new stuff and not the old stuff, not that one group was better than the other.

The term 'Trekker' actually came about somewhere around 1970, more than ten years before Next Generation aired.

It began with idea that 'Trekkies' were crazy obsessed fans, so in order to not be labelled as such some fans decided to make a distinction (albiet a false one) between 'Trekkies' and 'rational fans' by creating the word 'Trekker'.

If you're turning your nose up at Trekker then you're just as prejudiced as the folk that turn their nose up at Trekkie.

come on, it's all fun, no matter what you want to call yourself!

No-one is turning up there nose at Trekkers, all that IS being said is that we are are fans no matter what we call ourselfs and peoples personal preferences.

Ive always said Trekkie and only came accross Trekker a few years back. Personally you can call me what you want, Im too busy enjoying the geek lifestyle to care. :YAHOO:

But for those who do care, take a tip from my 3 year old and just say Trekkier. Out of the mouths of babes eh? :lol:

• Like 1

I grew up watching the reruns of the original series on TV, but never imagined one day I would be sitting in Los Angeles next to William Shatner or at an ice cream party with George Takei. Whichever way you look at it though, I loved the series from a young age, I even had Star Trek pyjamas. From a meeting point of view sadly I never met Deforest Kelley from the original series, but had a fantastic buzz meeting the rest of the main cast and have had great fun going to events completing Star Trek cast photos and meeting all the Captains from the TV series.

Aside from my Star Trek Pyjamas as a kid, I've not ever dressed up as a character nor do I speak Klingon.

I'd just like to call myself a fan of the show, but I guess other people may refer to me more as a Sci Fi Geek.

I do like Star Wars as well though (but keep that one quiet on this forum !).

• 4 weeks later...

I usually say Trekkie but honestly don't mind. I have been a Trek fan for as long as I can remember, have always loved it, always will. I have been to quite a few conventions in the past (a long time ago now, it seems) and used to get dressed up for the parties or the themed evenings but I don't have a uniform (may consider buying one for this event though) and have never been to any event as a favourite character.

I don't think that it matters either, or whether you speak Klingon, etc., to me Star Trek is much more - and all the conventions I've been to, apart from the fact that I've seen so many brilliant guests and had a great time, I have always been struck by how the concept of IDIC has been so evident. I've met so many other Trek fans/Trekkies/Trekkers (whatever people want to call themselves), all different ages, shapes, sizes, from many varied countries, so many varying occupations - all drawn together by one thing - our love of Star Trek - a bright hope for the future. I just cannot wait for STL this October and look forward to meeting many more fans.

LLAP

• Like 1

well....I can't say I am a Trekkie or Trekker, I only like very much Sci-Fi movies or Sci-FI Tv series. I've always followed them on Tv when I was a child. I watched U.F.O. ( with Ed Bishop and Michael Billington), Star Trek (with Shatner), SPACE 1999 (with Martin Landau).

I like ANDROMEDA with Kevin Sorbo and ST-TNG with P. Stewart. I've followed also ENTERPRISE with Scott Bakula.

At the LFCC I've met Sylvia Anderson , who worked for SPACE 1999. A very sweet lady.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm a Niner too!

Definitely agree with both of you.

I'm a Trekkie, it's the recognised term for Star Trek fans. Trekker doesn't sound right to me.

I've always thought that a Trekker was someone who didn't really want to be identified as a hardcore Star Trek fan (or geek). Outside of Trek and sci-fi fandom, nobody even knows the term Trekker.

There are so many different definitions of both Trekkie and Trekker though. Some people say a Trekkie dresses up and learns Klingon while Trekkers aren't that religious about it, others think the complete opposite. The fact is they're the same thing, people just choose which they think they are.

I really don't get the point in calling yourself a Trekker though, and people who think the term Trekkie is offensive must be a bit crazy :P

I'm proud to be a Star Trek geek, and I call myself a Trekkie, its the mass understood definition, and why should we divide ourselves up?! We should stick together as we are still in a small group on this planet, at least.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I say Trekkie. It sounds better than Trekker. And as has been previously stated the only difference I see is that Trekkers try to remove themselves from the geeky/Trekkie stereotypes which is kind of pointless really. Who cares what you call yourself as long as you both like the show.

I'd never even heard the word 'Trekker' before this, though I still wouldn't call myself a Trekkie just because I don't think I know enough about Star Trek to say I am one haha.

I still want to wear Star Trek costumes and stuff though just because I cosplay and dress up anyway. I'm enough of a fan to own the box sets and name some episodes just from screen shots! But then I couldn't name every character let alone the actors name and I haven't seen every series, only TOS and TNG so I guess I am just a 'Star Trek fan' :smile: