Avengers Assemble!

sagart

Well, I'm back from The Avengers and I don't know how he did it but Joss Whedon travelled back in time to when I was 8 and planted a camera in my imagination. Everything I ever dreamed an Avengers movie would be is up there on the screen: thrilling, funny, shocking, even (mild spoiler) heartbreaking. It takes all the best ingredients of previous superhero movies and blends them into a perfect mixture. Those who know me really well know that, if I sit through a movie with a goofy smile on my face, I'm loving it. I sat through The Avengers looking like the Cheshire Cat. Utterly brilliant!!! Thank you Marvel for making me 8 again, even if it was for just a couple of hours.

I'm expectin a sequel to follow quickly

Well next year we'll see Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 with Captain America 2 in 2014. And I htink they're talking about Hulk 2 (or is that 3?) in 2015.

I guess Disney will wanna cash in fast so I expect a sequel in 2014.

mark ruffalo has signed to play hulk in 6 movies, either stand alone movies, sequels or cameos

i think he was the best hulk that there has ever been

Agreed and the CGI on Hulk was alot better this time.

Im sure Disney will be cashing in on Thor 2, Captain America 2 and Iron Mna3 as threy now will distribute these films instead of Paramount. But there will be an Avengers 2 and all I can say is roll on due to the footage half way through the credits.

But there will be an Avengers 2 and all I can say is roll on due to the footage half way through the credits.

Absolutely. You could tell who was an existing fan by who waited through the credits - can I assume (for the benefit of the 3 or so people who haven't seen it yet) that the casting announcement that nearly made me choke on my lunch when I read it refers to that Other character?

I saw it last night. I thought it was amazing, a must see film. It helps if you have seen the other characters films, but even if you haven't you should still enjoy it. Joss has still got.

could tell who was an existing fan by who waited through the credits - can I assume (for the benefit of the 3 or so people who haven't seen it yet) that the casting announcement that nearly made me choke on my lunch when I read it refers to that Other character?

Well given that post-credits sequences are pretty much the norm now with big event movies its not suprising people expect to see such a scene...especially seeing some of the other films had them. Dont understand the 2nd part of your post. No one was cast, that charcater was CG.

Oh I thought you meant the other alien leader at the end, the one that turns and smiles. Well as far as surprise casting choices go I was surprised to see Harry Dean Stanton, Jenny Agutter and Powers Boothe in there too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was an excellent movie, my favourite of this year! :) Great cast, great director + crew, great effects, great storyline :) and as I went back to see it in IMAX it was even better. Can't wait for the sequel + other Marvel movies to come out :)

I throughly enjoyed The Avengers as a whole, though other than being a childhood fantasy come true for some it was simply just a run of the mill popcorn flick.

I highly enjoyed all the solo films, having seen each in order as they came out. Each film was it's own world but made it clear they all connected and the diffcult part was always going to be putting all the seprate worlds into a single body that gelled together seemlessly.

Avengers didn't quite deliver on that front, the main world we got was Thors and the central charater was Iron Man, so basicly to two most opposing factors (Technolgy and Magic) and this came accross quite akward and clumsy as charaters who hadn't met yet suddenly knew all about all the other heros that inhabited this world and where thrust into each other and didn't explain fully how they came to realise this or how exactly they seemed to just find one another.

I understand that the story was dumbed down so kids could enjoy it, but this makes it overly chartoony in a lot of ways and i felt they where so busy try to introduce us to the new and improved "cuddly" Hulk, i think Marvel made a major misstep in not bringing back Norton, it would had been fine to reintroduce a new Banner for Phase Two, this way it just feels we have been cheated and makes no sense why Banner is best of chums with Stark there should be a bit of tension there (Stark provided the weapons to try combat the Hulk in TIH).

And Hulk is no longer an uncontrolable beast it seems Banner can control not only when he transforms but who/what he releases all that pent out anger on.

It also was annoying to rename the movie Avengers Assemble and then for that cry never to be heard from Cap at ANY point in the movie, talking of which, he is the leader of the group but gets the least amount of screen time and things to do out of everyone. Mainly lossing out to Marvel trying soo hard to get our approval of the new Hulk who steals the show in the action stakes, and RDJ providing all the best lines, again the whole point was to bring together all these worlds not just chuck in the charaters and hope it works.

It's great to see all the heros together, and the film has so many amazing moments you forget most of these points, i just wanted to vive a fair view of the film as the vast majorty see it as near flawless.

I see it as purly a good thing to think of them as works in progress, and i think Marvel already knows each of the Phase Two films need to do more, so i look forward to seeing how they better each film.

• 3 weeks later...

It was alright, I was expecting a bit more from it though. The main problem I had with the film was that it mostly seemed to be the new Iron Man film; compared to him, no one else got any real screen time! What happened to Hawkeye and Black Widow especially?

I did enjoy it however and I will buy it when the prices drop but not in any real mad rush to get it. It was average at best for me.

• 2 months later...

FINNALY seen this, was ok, desent action, few funny bits, but I dont get why its being hailed as this amazing brilliant thing, the plot isnt all that, the bad guys DULL, was enjoyable but not deserving of the greatest of all time sorta praise and box office attention it got, IMO

maybe I missed something, but why is the hulk at the end suddenly in total control? when earlier in the film (before banner says what his secret is) he almost kills was her name, the female spy and chases after her?

I liked the interaction between CAP and Iron Man and between iron man and hulk and between hulk and thor, loved the bit where after fighting side by side looking over their kills hulk just punches thor from the side lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...