Any news?

special child

So I'm getting my hopes up because I think I can come now, but I was looking at the guests and realised that we haven't had any new ones since late February.

I just wanted to ask whether this event is still running or not? I don't want to book anything now to know that it isn't going ahead!

Thanks.

The event is still running. A break between guest announcements is really not unusual.

These events usually have between 4 and 6 guests, and two are already announced. It's also not unusual that the rest of the slots are only filled relatively close to the event.

Especially now with the movie out a relatively short time ago it's very likely a matter of waiting for replies from guests to come back before more get announced.

The event is still running. A break between guest announcements is really not unusual.

These events usually have between 4 and 6 guests, and two are already announced. It's also not unusual that the rest of the slots are only filled relatively close to the event.

Especially now with the movie out a relatively short time ago it's very likely a matter of waiting for replies from guests to come back before more get announced.

Ok, thank you for responding! You're a life-saver.

I have to admot I was wondering the same.

Just an idea for future events, perhaps an update as to sales could be given out to allay any fears that things are quiet and the event may be at risk of cancellation.

There must be a figures where it's considered

1) Tickets not sold enoough so the event needs to be cancelled.

2) Ticket sales low and are likely to make a loss, but it's not so much you'll take the hit just to make sure the con runs and people aren't disappointed

3) Break even

4) Sales enough to make a profit of some size.

If when the sales hit the second level where it's enough to run the event and take the small loss it would be helpful if it could be announced level 2 has been reached.

It would put people's minds at rest that have purchased a ticket but it could also encourage people that aren't sure and are thinking it may not go ahead so "I'll wait until nearer the time" to go ahead with confidence that the event is definately still running.

By using levels, or colour coding no actual numbers or figures are announced, so it could be the required number of sold tickets for that event is 50 tickets or it could be 150.

Just a thought of how it could be done to reassure people that the event is running even if there is no other up-to-date news regarding guests etc for weeks or months.

• Moderators

Unfortunately a lot of things have to be taken into consideration though before going ahead and cancelling an event, and it's something that isn't taken lightly.

What if, just for example, the tickets were quite low at the moment for this and at 'level 1' for your idea, and yet they were in negotiations with Jennifer Lawrence for this and she couldn't commit until closer to the event? They can't guarantee the event will be cancelled, but they almost can't guarantee the 'big guest' that'll sign up and shift loads of tickets will happen either.

There's many situations where options have to be looked at and tried before alternative ones are considered like a cancellation. Take the LOTR one for example - it clearly wasn't working, so they took the time to sort out an alternative.

Your idea works on a simple level but there's just so many factors to consider that I don't think they'd ever be willing to commit to it. I know people hold back due to being worried about a cancellation and that's understandable, but plenty of events do go ahead.

It would put people's minds at rest that have purchased a ticket but it could also encourage people that aren't sure and are thinking it may not go ahead so "I'll wait until nearer the time" to go ahead with confidence that the event is definately still running.
It could potentially damage ticket sales as well. People would see the ticket sales are low (which they may well be for x amount of time anyway), and think that the event won't happen. They won't bother to purchase a ticket and arrange to do something else instead.

Exactly no need to worry, two guests announced atm which are pretty awesome! I'm desperate to come but I'm working at the Olympics so have to be in london for the 9th so might have to rush between the two

This con is sandwiched right in the middle of the busy May-July period. People will prioritise. How many of those doing events like Collectormania in the preceding weeks and have plans for doing other stuff in the subsequent weeks in June are going to be able to afford this one?

To answer the original question - my advice for any con is to book travel as late as possible. Especially for an untested con like this - with no big names and given what I said above - I'd say wait till within 4 weeks before even considering travel and if it's still going ahead then you might be less worried :D