EVENT UPDATE : New Date / New Guests - Update post 128

I use laterooms for colleagues at work and unless they have changed their policy, you can cancel up to 48 hours (2 days) before your booking. With this much notice you should be ok

I used that too! but I am calling yet there seems to be no response. do you have their email or something?

With your email or booking reference number this should give you all the detail you need.

"Can I cancel or amend my booking?

Published 30/11/2011 11.05 AM | Updated 01/06/2012 01.10 PM

Yep, as long as you make any cancellations or changes in line with the hotel's policy you will not be charged a penny. The cancellation policy can be found on both the hotel details page and your booking confirmation. Cancellation policies can vary, so please make sure you check the details when booking. If you want to change your booking you can either do it online via

My Account or, if you don't have an account, via the My Booking on our homepage. Alternatively, call our customer service line on 0844 774 2002".

http://laterooms.cus...pp/answers/list

thanks a lot but apparently I cannot cancel the booking online, I need to call through telephone.. The UK landline is +44 right?

Unfortunately no event of this type is exempt from potential change. Most don't thankfully but the odd one or two can and do.

Its not helped by the fact the first post says

Please be assured this is the last time the event will be moved or changed and it is now full steam ahead for what is personally my most anticipated event we have ever run!

If you can't be assured by an assurance, what can you do?

I'm sure I'll be told to butt out since it's not a franchise I follow, or outright deleted, but actually it concerns all of us, if an event can be moved with less than two weeks to go, and that the information has been sat on even longer, it makes it hard to make travel arrangements for any event.

I could not afford to loose out on £50, let alone more.

I really can see why the information was sat on (waiting for concrete info of the much better replacement), but allowing it to leak out from a third party, the response today should have come much sooner. You shouldn't have to be threatened with trading standards to make a move.

Offering upgraded tickets is all well and good but for many people that's a cheaper part of the equation. I travel and stay cheaply so I have more money to spend with guests/organisers at events. Clearly I go about this the wrong way wanting money to spend this way!

Also 5 weeks notice for no matter how fantastic an event just isn't enough. Look at Lords Of Time. Even had the event gone ahead in 2 weeks with a second better event 3 weeks later, its assuming a lot that fans would have that weekend and the cash free. Such a quick reshedule seems set to disappoint more than it can please.

• Like 1

I have - like many of you - been emailing, tweeting and posting/messaging on Facebook. Tried phoning too. I am prepared to wait and see what comes of this potential new date - but I'm restricted by where it's likely to be as I am not allowed time off work in December. I was meeting a friend at the RTME convention who was flying from Europe, she is going to lose the cost of the flight but like me is prepared to wait and see for a little longer. It's good that refunds have been promised in the official update post - when the event was re-arranged from last November to June of this year, I was out of the country and not able to attend & I got a full refund for that. It's just that the lack of updates and communication makes one less inclined to want to go ahead with any future events, in my view anyway.

• Like 1

I just want to know what the changes will be, Will this eman the event will be much larger than what it currently is and is there going to be anything extra

I will start saving incase as i am tempted to go now tas this looks even more promising... Maybe some Hobbit Guests :D

Thank you for getting back to us now Jason and Mark. I now won't be able to attend the event because like a lot of us we are going to see The Hobbit and you are obviously changing hotels and I can't afford to go down to London so after weeks of not telling us we sort of have an answer you say you can't assure people of the date and you will get back to people. I hope you will because if people are still going and I think your numbers will go down because a lot of people love Peter Jackson films and want to see The Hobbit at the same time. I can't make it a month later. What do I do now to get a refund if you don't mind me asking Jason or Mark. I appreciate you coming on and telling us what you know. Please can you now take down off your page to do with Middle Earth that it is going ahead because people could still be booking at the Northampton hotel. Can you please amend the page because in all fairness I think that's what should happen. I won't be coming but thank you for the update and can you tell me how I can get my money back. Julie

Not happy at all!!!!! I called Late Rooms who told me that I wouldn't be able to get a refund and they would still be charging me the £104. This is so unfair and my friend is a massive fan and is completely gutted. £104!!!!! I am sure ME won't be giving me a refund for that

• Like 1

Unfortunately travelling abroad can be a risk with these type of events. The organiser is not liable for attendee transport costs. If they were then quite simply no organiser would risk running any event around the world unless they had unlimited funds.

So exactly how last minute do people have to leave it to book their flights & hotels?

Do we always have to wait until 11 days before an event to make sure it's going ahead?

It's my birthday tomorrow so I'm going to put all this out of my head until Wednesday, then I'll think about whether Showmasters/Massive Events ever deserve my custom again...

• Like 1

My gosh...if there are people like that who have bought flights Massive Events needs to pay for that!!!!!
Unfortunately travelling abroad can be a risk with these type of events. The organiser is not liable for attendee transport costs. If they were then quite simply no organiser would risk running any event around the world unless they had unlimited funds.
Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but in this case the organiser said over eight months ago "Please be assured this is the last time the event will be moved or changed" - without any qualification, caveat, get-out or "wiggle room". A solid, cast-iron, fixed-in-stone assurance. I wouldn't normally go non-refundable, but I would based on that statement. Yes, normally I would agree that there's an element of risk in these events, and they can always be moved or cancelled or postponed, and you book travel (and everything else) at your own risk. But when the event organiser makes a promise such as was made, I think that shifts the goalposts somewhat.
  • Like 5

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but in this case the organiser said over eight months ago "Please be assured this is the last time the event will be moved or changed" - without any qualification, caveat, get-out or "wiggle room". A solid, cast-iron, fixed-in-stone assurance. I wouldn't normally go non-refundable, but I would based on that statement. Yes, normally I would agree that there's an element of risk in these events, and they can always be moved or cancelled or postponed, and you book travel (and everything else) at your own risk. But when the event organiser makes a promise such as was made, I think that shifts the goalposts somewhat.

Exactly, well said. No-one would be able to leave booking flights etc this last-minute and, especially after SM made that assurance, a lot of people are going to have lost money. I am very disappointed with the lack of communication from Showmasters - we've been continually told basically "don't worry, have faith, just wait a bit longer" and have been expected to trust their word, only for them to then go back on that promise. Not impressed at all...

• Like 1

By the way, in reply to my post that was edited, i'm pretty sure a lot of people in the past have said exactly what I said and never been censored! I know the rules

The rule is
In simple terms if you are entering enough information that someone else can find the event you are talking about on Google (or any other search engine), then that is too much

Unfortunately that was the case with what you had posted.

Can you still see what he posted? The edit and your post allude to more than what he posted. He was far more vague.

I saw what was posted. I was in the mddle of editing it when another mod finished the edit first. The details of the post did result in a Google search which does contrevene the forum rules.

Why is the Return to Middle Earth website still up and running with tickets still able to be bought? Shouldn't it have been disabled and tickets removed from the shop???

No doubt the person who maintains the website will make the necessary changes as soon as possible. The tickets are probably still on sale because the event is still happening, albeit on a different date that has yet to be confirmed.

as good as this maybe there is no way i can go, my husband's xmas party is on the 14th and then we drive to lancashire on the 15th to drop presents off for the family, would love to have went but as someone else said its too close to christmas