Travel Discussion

Imagine if every guest that was announced for London or MK, a bunch of us from up north kept saying 'great guest, but i'll wait and see if they're announced for Glasgow'

Strange how a LOT of us travel down easily to go to all the other events, but when it comes to Glasgow virtually no one is willing to travel up.

I posted after her announcement that I wondered how long it'd be before people start asking for her to go to other events and lo and behold, after a handful of posts, 2 people have already said they want her to do MK or London

Edited by JacknDaniel

Imagine if every guest that was announced for London or MK, a bunch of us from up north kept saying 'great guest, but i'll wait and see if they're announced for Glasgow'

Strange how a LOT of us travel down easily to go to all the other events, but when it comes to Glasgow virtually no one is willing to travel up.

I posted after her announcement that I wondered how long it'd be before people start asking for her to go to other events and lo and behold, after a handful of posts, 2 people have already said they want her to do MK or London

That's because it's more expensive to live down south than "oop north" so people can't afford to travel and pay for hotels over night. :lol:

Being slightly more serious there is a degree of truth in that if you are using public transport, mainly the trains. At times you find it's cheaper to go from north to south than it is the other way around despite it being the same number of miles on the same track stopping at the same stations. The train companies are a work with no logic at all.

For example (I posted this in The Games forum) I looked at booking my ticket London to Birmingham. It worked out cheaper for two singles than a return. I picked my train on Friday. The 11.46 leaving platform 7 (I think it was) to Birmingham. Cost £13.xx Fine. If on Sunday I get the 19.40 train back to London that price stays the same. However if I get the next train back on Sunday at 19.52 that fare on Friday goes down to £3.xx Erm why does the time I come home on sunday affect the price for the same seat on the same train 2 days earlier? Dropping £10 is close to an 75% saving.

Last year I spent a lifetime one weekend in Norwich. I checked the price and thought that's ok, I'll get that nearer the time as money was tight. I went to get the ticket about a week before I was due to travel and the price had gone to silly money. I started looking around at prices and ended up going up on the friday instead of the thursday and returning Sunday as planned, because it worked out cheaper for me to travel on the friday, not use the room I had booked on Thursday and lose the money I paid for the room. I think the room was £32 per night. That shows how high the price of the train ticket had increased by if I'm writing off that as a loss to be better off.

I wouldnt be surprised if lots of us southern softies do look at the cost to get to Glasgow and say sod that! I'm lucky as I live near in SE London so Heathrow (I can get too for free with my diability pass) and Stanstead (get to for about £5-£6) are quite easily for me to access. If I were to travel up rather than go by train it would work out cheaper for me to fly up using a budget airline.

Edited by cunningham1471

Not that i'm defending the price of train travel as it's getting higher obviously but it's always been the same relatively depending on when you book. Obviously if you look at a price and it looks ok and you decide to buy it a week before you travel it's going to have shot up. Cheap tickets for trains go on sale 12 weeks prior to the date and can be as low as £12 between London and Glasgow. If you even wanted to really slum it and get a Megabus or something like that, you can spend as little as £1 if you get it early. Same with BA flights, book early and they're around £40 each way.

If people really wanted to meet someone at Glasgow, and you've obviously got 5 months before the event to arrange it, there really isnt any reason people should be saying that they can't afford to do Glasgow at this point in time

Edited by JacknDaniel

:lol: i give up

Welcome to the internet where logic will NEVER win :lol:

I know I should really be used to it by now....but i'm really still quite amazed by it

:D i give up

It was MY opinion - Chill !

It may be YOUR opinion, but the fact is that SM work hard to get guests and EVERYTIME someone is announced for Glasgow that ISN'T announced for another event, instead of people appreciating that SM got them at all, people's first reaction is 'can you get them for x event?'

Welcome to the world of events other than MK and LFCC that you may have to make an effort to get to. It's been my world for 12 years, living in Scotland

:P i give up

Welcome to the internet where logic will NEVER win :WINCE:

I know I should really be used to it by now....but i'm really still quite amazed by it

It may be YOUR opinion, but the fact is that SM work hard to get guests and EVERYTIME someone is announced for Glasgow that ISN'T announced for another event, instead of people appreciating that SM got them at all, people's first reaction is 'can you get them for x event?'

Welcome to the world of events other than MK and LFCC that you may have to make an effort to get to. It's been my world for 12 years, living in Scotland

:wub: i give up

Welcome to the internet where logic will NEVER win :WINCE:

To be honest, it's a struggle for me to get to ANY SM events.

I live in North Yorkshire

MK is 4 hours away

Glasgow 6 hours

London 5 hours

Is there a Collectormania Leeds or Collectormania Newcastle ?

NO !

Edited by Red Sonja

Well, to be honest, if you live in the UK, and you consider it a struggle to get to any of their events, there's not really much point in having a discussion about it. I live just outside Glasgow and it is no particular struggle for me to get to any of them. And no i'm not rich, and no I can't take endless holidays off work

Don't really know how you're that far away from those places, like I say i'm in Glasgow, and i'm just over 4 hours on the train to MK, and under 5 hours away from London on the train

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Moderators

It can depend a lot on quite what train lines etc you're near. I live not that far from MK 'as the crow flies' but by public transport it takes me a minimum of 2 hours to get there (and I don't drive).

It can depend a lot on quite what train lines etc you're near. I live not that far from MK 'as the crow flies' but by public transport it takes me a minimum of 2 hours to get there (and I don't drive).

This is true. Once a month I used to regularly do Woolwich SE, London to Sittingboune Kent on a Sunday. It took about 70 minutes including one change. Really easy, one staright line eastwrads. Then they decided that every weekend they would do works. This caused so much disruption with cancellations, replacemnt buses etc at one point it took me close to 3 hours thanks to replacement buses. Yet I was still supposed to pay the same fair. Knickers to that. I looked other variations to get around where that replacement service was, which i found and would still have taken me 4.5 hours as I would have had to go west, then south then east to join the line past the part on the line they were working on.

No they've started making it one simple line again after 3 years of railworks I've started doing the journey to see friends and go to see the wrestling shows again.

Chances are the reason people say can they come to a venue near me isn't because they don't want too or aren't prepared to travel, it's either stupid money or it's a logistical nightmare. Also it's natural to prefer the person to be at your nearest venue.

If a group I wanted to see was playing Wembley and the O2, wouldn't it make sense to prefer to see them at the venue that is 20 minutes by bus from my flat and not one that is about 90 minutes travelling by bus and tube?

I agree, hence why I am not coming to London this year. Too much of a logistical nightmare for me. So will wait until Glasgow.

This is true. Once a month I used to regularly do Woolwich SE, London to Sittingboune Kent on a Sunday. It took about 70 minutes including one change. Really easy, one staright line eastwrads. Then they decided that every weekend they would do works. This caused so much disruption with cancellations, replacemnt buses etc at one point it took me close to 3 hours thanks to replacement buses. Yet I was still supposed to pay the same fair. Knickers to that. I looked other variations to get around where that replacement service was, which i found and would still have taken me 4.5 hours as I would have had to go west, then south then east to join the line past the part on the line they were working on.

No they've started making it one simple line again after 3 years of railworks I've started doing the journey to see friends and go to see the wrestling shows again.

Chances are the reason people say can they come to a venue near me isn't because they don't want too or aren't prepared to travel, it's either stupid money or it's a logistical nightmare. Also it's natural to prefer the person to be at your nearest venue.

If a group I wanted to see was playing Wembley and the O2, wouldn't it make sense to prefer to see them at the venue that is 20 minutes by bus from my flat and not one that is about 90 minutes travelling by bus and tube?

The voice of reason :lol:

• Moderators

It's all down to money really.

There's loads of things in the world I can't afford, and I don't expect them to be brought to me.

I either have to save up or miss out. That's just the way of the world.

If there was someone I really REALLY wanted at Glasgow then I'd do everything I could to work it out.

Yet we're all different, we all have different financial situations, and different opinions/feelings on guests. We all have to make those individual decisions.

I would really like to go to MK event but I have never seen a cheap way to get there. I don't even mind going the long way. Last October I spent 20 hours traveling to Glasgow and back to spend somthing like 15 hours in London just to meet Joe Flanigan and Arthur Darvill:) (I know I am a crazy person and not many people would be willing to do I think)

It cost like £15 in total for travel.

Does any one know a cheap way to MK from Glasgow?

I would really like to go to MK event but I have never seen a cheap way to get there. I don't even mind going the long way. Last October I spent 20 hours traveling to Glasgow and back to spend somthing like 15 hours in London just to meet Joe Flanigan and Arthur Darvill:) (I know I am a crazy person and not many people would be willing to do I think)

East Coast trains or Trainline website. Cheap tickets going down to MK go on sale 12 weeks in advance, so have literally just gone on sale. Got mine for £17.50, that includes me getting to Glasgow first(I live about half an hour away on the train)

£17.50 is even cheaper than I got mine for travel to MK, so that's impressive !

£16 - Edinburgh to Manchester

£12.50 Manchester to Edinburgh

Just booked this last night.

Cheap tickets for coming home from MK aren't available yet.

The ironic thing at the moment, is my friend in Cardiff, is being charged £26, just go from Cardiff to London on the Thursday before MK, or £40 for Cardiff through to MK. So he's not too impressed that I'm travelling further for alot cheaper !

You can get here cheaply. My friends in York just now from Aberdeen (which is further away then Glasgow) and shes £10 for return on the megabus.

£35 return on the train.

£60-70 on the plane.

If people travel from down south then Jason will give us MOAR hha.

East Coast trains or Trainline website. Cheap tickets going down to MK go on sale 12 weeks in advance, so have literally just gone on sale. Got mine for £17.50, that includes me getting to Glasgow first(I live about half an hour away on the train)

Thanks, I will need to have a look. Don't think will be going to London this year so would like to make MK.

I wish the mega bus sleeper service wasn't so expensive. Is cheaper to fly down to London and back.

£17.50 is even cheaper than I got mine for travel to MK, so that's impressive !

£16 - Edinburgh to Manchester

£12.50 Manchester to Edinburgh

Just booked this last night.

Cheap tickets for coming home from MK aren't available yet.

The ironic thing at the moment, is my friend in Cardiff, is being charged £26, just go from Cardiff to London on the Thursday before MK, or £40 for Cardiff through to MK. So he's not too impressed that I'm travelling further for alot cheaper !

This is what I was saying about the stupidity and randomness of the cost of travelling on the trains and why I'm sure so many people look at the prices and think sod that! The prices can even change by the hour.

On Sunday I wanted to book a train from London Bridge to Brighton for this Friday. For a few days last week the price had been 4 adult return tickets for £31, based on buy one, get one free as long as there are four in the group, so really £31 for two adult tickets. I go to get the tickets on Sunday and the price has dropped for no apparent reason to 4 tickets for £20. Fantastic!

I sent a text to one person just to confirm they could make London Bridge for that specific time. After about two hours I got a reply so went to get the tickets and they had gone up again from £20 to £27. No idea why, they just had. I tried different operators and the price varied. in fact my prefered choice of East Coast for some reason had gone up from £20 to £54, so I thught knickers to that I'll go to another opeator and get them for £27.

Then and I have no idea why, I thought I would try something. I went into my history, found the National Rail pages and clicked on one of those. Up came the trip I wanted for the price of £20. I thought go with it and changed it to my prefered choice of East Coast and hit the buy button expecting it to take me to the East Coast website and it to have changed to £54. It didn't. It stayed at £20. So I logged in and paid for the tickets. Yesterday I picked them up from the machine and I was charged as it also said on my online bank statement £20 for the four tickets.

If I hadn't for some reason thought of trying to use the historyI would have had to pay more for my ticket. So it may be worth doing that if you look at the price of a train and it's gone up since you last looked.

I just looked at the same journey. To get the train we are getting it's now back up to £31 from the £27 it was on Sunday. Maybe the website prices drop if you buy on a Saturday or Sunday morning. I really don't know. What a crazy way to run a business!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok sorry for butting in in this convo, but for people who are looking for cheap travel, try the mega bus, I use it twice a year to go to a con in Birmingham and can get a train down for £1 from Glasgow, then £12 back up with national express