Stargate Universe: Yay or Nay?

cyd0nian

Stargate Universe: Yay or Nay?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like Stargate Universe?

• Yes
    • No

I'm really interested to see the consensus on the forum regarding this question. I absolutely loved the show, yet hear all these people say things like "it was a poor attempt to do combine Voyager and Battlestar Galactica" and think that's completely unjustified. Obviously I'll admit that there were some episodes that were better than others, but a most of the time, the writing was fantastic. I loved the characters, particularly Eli and Greer. I asked Joe Flanigan what he thought of it during his talk last year and he said he didn't like it, he thought of it as the show that killed off Atlantis, and obviously I don't know how true that is. So let's hear it folks, are you mad for the Destiny or mad at it?...

I liked it but it was slow and very dark. Maybe too dark and I can understand why people didn't like it. I do think it was a mistake to kill Atlantis off when they did and just run with SGU with no crossover and there was a distinct lack of the humour that ran through both SG-1 and Atlantis.

I appreciate they were trying to do something different but if they'd kept Atlantis running they might have been able to draw some of that audience to it. I think pulling Atlantis annoyed a lot of people and immediately prejudiced some from giving SGU a chance. Plus it probably needed a bit more action. With no big enemy to fight, it was just a group of people trying to survive. Not the most enthralling TV.

Definitely a pity as it showed promise but both the premise and the way it was launched on the back of a cancelled Atlantis was maybe the wrong way to go about it.

i think there is a similar thread like this in the stargate section or us tv shows,

personally I think VGR and to an extent ENT should of been more like SGU!

SGU was awesome, yes the jokes were not as prominent and TBH they had become too prominent in some eps of SG1 & ATS imo, but some ppl preferred that, I like it to accompany the drama not over shadow it.

SGU had a few ropey eps but what series doesnt, the cast was strong, some of the eps and drama brilliant! its a crying shame this got canned, I liked atlantis, but this was far superior, as atlantis was too often a clone of SG1 so even though good, you sat there thinking either we have seen this in sg1 or well I like it but sg1 did or would of done it better lol.

they even got rid of was his name to bring in a male teal'c character and sheppard is sooooo a younger oneill lol, Mckay is basically a geekier male version of carter. I liked how with SGU they kept the Stargate feel and then branched out, but it was still stargate and still good! with moments of genius.

I liked it but it was slow and very dark. Maybe too dark and I can understand why people didn't like it. I do think it was a mistake to kill Atlantis off when they did and just run with SGU with no crossover and there was a distinct lack of the humour that ran through both SG-1 and Atlantis.

I appreciate they were trying to do something different but if they'd kept Atlantis running they might have been able to draw some of that audience to it. I think pulling Atlantis annoyed a lot of people and immediately prejudiced some from giving SGU a chance. Plus it probably needed a bit more action. With no big enemy to fight, it was just a group of people trying to survive. Not the most enthralling TV.

Definitely a pity as it showed promise but both the premise and the way it was launched on the back of a cancelled Atlantis was maybe the wrong way to go about it.

yep I think alot of SG die hards were very annoyed with atlantis being canned and this taking its place, I agree, they should of run it along side for a bit as alot of fans boycotted SGU (unfairly) cos of atlantis cxl.

i liked the darkness, and I love SG1, atlantis was decent enough,

tbh i wasnt a fan of the ori or the wraith, i thought both were under developed and not used to their potential, both were poorer (copy) replacements for the goa'uld & jaffa

Edited by timelord81r

id like to hear from the 3 who said no lol, were you die hard angry atlatis fans or you just didnt like the darker tone?

I'm not sure if you have been on Stargate only forums when Universe started? Things got really bad there. There was a lot of uncertainty anyway at first when the show started after the first character descriptions etc. had leaked. Things pretty much exploded in the end.

"You never gave it a chance, you're only angry because you think it killed Atlantis!" is the very tame version what people saying no got to hear on some forums constantly. Some Universe die hard fans were not even trying to listen to their reasoning. Eventually you'll get bored trying to post your opinion when you'll only get screamed down with "that's not true, you're only mad because of Atlantis." I'm sure you didn't mean to make it sound that way, but your post reminded me of that.

So yes, I can see why those who said no don't post - I had my head almost ripped off a couple of times myself when I stated I didn't like Stargate Universe. Although... "I don't like" is even the wrong wording.

To paraphrase a statement from the first post: I am neither mad about the Destiny nor mad at it. I just don't care about the show. If you ask me a yes or no question if I like the show I will hence have to say "no". I wouldn't be surprised if some others voted "no" too because of the same reason.

I had deja vus of that part in the SG-1 episode 200 when they had recast with "younger edgier versions." What I saw reminded me more of Beverly Hills 90210 set up in space - and if I want teen drama I dig out my old video tapes with that show. ;) I saw it summed up elsewhere once: "Too much talk, not enough action."

I don't think I even got far enough to catch the darker tone.

It just did not interest me, and if something does not interest me at all (that's a rare case actually) I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to get into it. A show needs at least some little spark to catch my attention, and for me that spark was totally missing in Universe.

Maybe I made a mistake, can't tell. Maybe I missed out on a great thing. But I'm thinking it's just not my style. Going back again to the comparison in the first post: Battlestar Galactia left about the same impression with me, and also Voyager is my least favorite of the Star Trek shows.

I do agree that there is a number of fans who was put off by the show coming on and everything sounding like it killed off Atlantis. But there's really a large number of fans who just didn't like the style. The darker shows do seem to have this "love it or hate it" thing about them.

I fully accept the show has very loyal fans who love it. But I really don't like the "you have to like it, it's Stargate!" pressure some fans are trying to put on others. That may also have put off some fans from trying. No one likes to be forced into anything, right?

I'm pretty sure that with different timing and even maybe not putting the Stargate stamp on the show Universe would have been quite successful for a longer time.

Okay, rambled long enough now - maybe this is incentive enough for no-voters to post. ;)

No i dont use the SG forums so didnt see any of that, but on other places, even here, I saw alot of boycoting because ppl were upset atlantis got cxl, alot of ppl (obviously not all) which was unfair (if perhaps understandable to a degree)

Yep VGR is my least fav of trek also. despite liking the crew (besides neelix and kes lol)

Never really liked Universe. I loved SG-1, and loved Atlantis, but didn't like Universe much. Simple as. Didnt hold anything against it because Atlantis was cancelled(and I was annoyed that it was cancelled) but just didnt like Universe

Edited by JacknDaniel

As a long time Stargate fan I found it hard to get into and only really appreciated it when I watched the repeats. I agree that the total lack of humour was unfortunate and the fact that they were pushing for SGU to the detriment of the SGA when it was on air did them no favours.

I watch a lot of sci fi and the first season should have been more about surviving and aliens- not about whiny character development which is better left to occasional episodes later in the season. I also found the ability to use the stones to bring in the experts and allow journeys home removed some of the edge.

I am sorry it didnt get a third season but I am also sorry that once more Syfy channel, or whatever they call themselves canned another series without the decency to allow the writers to end the storyline. There are many examples - Caprica, V, SGA , SGU etc

I think Syfy's history of cancelling series before they get a chance should be a warning to TV producers - steer clear if you want a real chance to tell a story....

yer i hated the stones at 1st, but later I think they used them interestingly and it injected some added drama, but at 1st my god I hated it, especially when chloe was being mean to eli in the club ect (think im remembering that right) and the boring visits back. sometimes it was like the feeling i got with the early lost flashbacks

I am sorry it didnt get a third season but I am also sorry that once more Syfy channel, or whatever they call themselves canned another series without the decency to allow the writers to end the storyline. There are many examples - Caprica, V, SGA , SGU etc

I had a very interesting chat with Robert Englund (who was obviously in the original V mini-series) at CM last year about why he thought the recent V series didn't really work. Came down to slow story progression and not enough actual action. Mostly agreed with him to be honest.

You could probably apply the same thoughts to SGU although as I've said I did like it, mostly and after what both David Blue and Peter Kelamis said about the ideas for series 3, it sounds like it would really have taken off and got a lot more interesting.

I think Syfy's history of cancelling series before they get a chance should be a warning to TV producers - steer clear if you want a real chance to tell a story....

It's like everything these days, if it's not an instant hit then it's no good. Forget letting something develop.

This kind of discussion came up at the recent Chevron 7.8 too. Can't remember who said this, might have been Peter but it basically comes down to neilsen ratings which are an antiquated system taken off special boxes in certain households so only count shows that are being watched live. The number of boxes in homes is really low and no account is made of people who record shows or watch them online etc.

So the real number of people watching could have been much, much higher (espcially with SF shows as the audience is going to be more likely to watch via other means) but because the system for recording the figures is so out of date, this kind of viewing isn't taken into account. Therefore shows get bad ratings and get cancelled.

I think that was the gist of the conversation. Based on that, it's not really surprising so many good shows get cancelled so quickly. People watch online, on catchup TV sites or even download shows to watch when it suits them rather than watch live so viewing figures appear to be bad when they may not be.

Edited by Rockstar6662

I really tried to get into SGU and watched the whole first season but then decided to call it a day. There were only a couple of characters I cared about, i didn't like the concept of the communications stones, I  missed the fact that a Stargate can dial in to anywhere in the galaxy, it kind of made it exciting and added a faster pace to sg-1 and sga,  imo. 

I also think one of the key points to shows i love is that they don't take themselves too seriously and have a bit of humour to them, ie Buffy, Angel, Torchwood, Doctor Who, Sg-1, Sga, Farscape, they all manage to have great dark dramatic episodes but also inject a bit of humour.

As I understand it SyFy offered the show-runners either a fifth season of sga and one season of sgu or two guaranteed seasons of sgu. We all know what happened next so i can see why some people were upset but thems are the breaks.

I just really miss the sg1 sga kind of sci fi show on my tv. The other day there were only 3 channels playing sci fi shows and nothing that was under 10 years old.