Chevron 7.9

showmasters

• 3 weeks later...

OK these may be silly questions to those of you who are veterans but ...

1. Is there a dress code for the cocktail party ( husband needs to know if he should bring a suit) and ...

2. Do they actually serve cocktails & if so are the prices reasonable?

OK these may be silly questions to those of you who are veterans but ...

1. Is there a dress code for the cocktail party ( husband needs to know if he should bring a suit) and ...

2. Do they actually serve cocktails & if so are the prices reasonable?

No such thing as a silly question, and I'm not a veteran (been to several ME events, but it's a while since I went to a Chevron), but I shall attempt to answer (no doubt those with more recent experience will correct any errors I make).

1) I'm assuming you're refering to the drinks receception that is included as part of the Gold Programme? If so, there's no dress code that I know of, and you get a wide range - some people like to dress up, some people don't bother, and there's a strong chance some people will be in costume, either for the Friday Night theme party or just 'cos they feel like it :smile: .

2) They usually don't serve cocktails at the drinks reception, but there's likely to be a couple of choices of wine (eg red or white), and soft drinks, available (and included). You can buy cocktails at the bar, and sometimes they have invented a special cocktail for the event, that is available at a set price (I think the "TruBlood" one I had at the last Bitten event was £3 or £4. Someone who had fewer of them might remember the price more accurately :whistling: )

Hope that helps a little :smile:

I have been to a few Chevron Gold Receptions and was at the last one at this very hotel. I will warn you that all drinks are rather expensive and there are no "Con" cheapies - in fact the bar prices at the main bar downstairs are extortionate (even for London) and feature a stiff service charge. The upstairs bar that was used for the parties was, again, over priced and lacked any sort of selection to speak of - in fact there wasnt even any beer or lager on tap. A single spirit and mixer was about £9 plus service charge.

I have consumed alcohol around the globe and made a bit of a hobby of making cocktails but a round at this hotel is enough to make you join the Temperance League.

Last year there were a number of complaints about selection and price on these very forums but whether anything has been negotiated this year I dont know but it certainly hasnt been announced.

So all con goers forewarned is forearmed......act accordingly.

Bar is indeed extremely expensive....a "Woo Woo" (Cocktail) was around £9, or perhaps a tad more...and one does NOT make you drunk!!!......at Chevron 7.8 I spent a lot of the time much more sober than I do at the Cons held at the other hotel...however facing Michael Shanks for a photo op hungover and with eyes like pee holes in the snow is NOT on my agenda so it doesn't bother me this time.. :drool:

You don't need to dress up too fancy trust me....better to be comfortable and wear a decent pair of shoes as you stand a lot even at the cocktail party.. :WAVE:

Edited by discodiva

on the drinks side- even a orange juice with lemonade was a fortune. the were giving out drinks of tapwater with ice from a jug for free if you asked. Drinks were unbelieveable prices so if you want to drink be prepared with pleanty of money. there wasnt even a con menue for food so make sure you bring pleanty of cash for that too. plus the charge a service charge on top of the price of what you buy so things get to unbeleavable prices.

costumes/dress codes at parties you dont have to but you can if you want. i dont buy gold tickets but to the evening parties i offen bring a dress. many people enjoy to dress up for the eving parties in either a costume or (ladies)dress/suit (men). but thers no rules on what to wear.

I am still undecided on whether to go or not... I spent a bit more at DSTL than I intended and also am not sure I want to fork out 90 quid if there's only 3 guests (I'm sure the wknd would easily end up adding to 200 quid or 300 quid easily, as you can't go to the parties and not drink!)

I am still undecided on whether to go or not... I spent a bit more at DSTL than I intended and also am not sure I want to fork out 90 quid if there's only 3 guests (I'm sure the wknd would easily end up adding to 200 quid or 300 quid easily, as you can't go to the parties and not drink!)

Give it a go... I've never been before but I'm willing to give it a try even with the current line up just cos Shanks is a hero! :)

• Like 1

Have been reading your messages about prices at the bar, and my recommendation would be to bring you own and enjoy a few bevvys in your room before you go out to the parties. Your hotel room is considered your space, and the hotel will not take any offence with you enjoying a glass of vino.

Also, the service charge is not mandatory, and they cannot insist you pay it. Although, you have to be quite brave to turn round and say I'm not paying that, but really, you should tip for good service, not just for being served - that's why they have wages. I know bar staff don't get paid a fortune, but many Con goers are on a budget too, so tip for good service, and decide whether you are happy to tip for the rest.

• Like 1

Have been reading your messages about prices at the bar, and my recommendation would be to bring you own and enjoy a few bevvys in your room before you go out to the parties. Your hotel room is considered your space, and the hotel will not take any offence with you enjoying a glass of vino.

Also, the service charge is not mandatory, and they cannot insist you pay it. Although, you have to be quite brave to turn round and say I'm not paying that, but really, you should tip for good service, not just for being served - that's why they have wages. I know bar staff don't get paid a fortune, but many Con goers are on a budget too, so tip for good service, and decide whether you are happy to tip for the rest.

i agree they get paid so your opinon of we should tip for good service if true. we tip for good service/ good food. aspecialy sicne servic charges dont always find thir way into the servers hands like tips do.

Give it a go... I've never been before but I'm willing to give it a try even with the current line up just cos Shanks is a hero! :)

Lol... I want to go, but it now turns out that even if they announce more guests, I won't be able to go... I have a family/friend's wedding that weekend up in Northampton, with pre-wedding activities from 1st Nov... I'm gonna have to wait for the next one :( BUT, you guys all go and enjoy!

If you do this just keep it hidden in your bags, hotels which sell food or drink don't like you bringing your own food or drink on site and may kick up a fuss.

I'm a bit disappointed in the guest line up/number of guests. Michael is, of course, a big draw and my main reason for coming: I have, and always have been, a huge supporter of these events and of the Stargate franchise but this is a lot of money to pay out for 4 guests. As a regular it is, of course, an opportunity to meet up with good friends but it does become an expensive weekend just to do that and I have several friends who have decided not to come because it's not economical even if it is Michael. In the end, a lot of fans do still want to come and show support for Stargate and its actors but my biggest fear is that this enthusiasm will just peter out if we don't have bigger line-ups including more of the regulars from the franchise.

• Like 1

Was starting to panic that Hurricane Sandy and all the cancelled flights was going to ruin the chances of the guest getting over here. But realise I was being slightly selfish with all the devastation caused on the East Coast. Love and best wishes to all those affected in the US, and safe and happy travelling to all our guests.