latest guest announcement - GILLIAN ANDERSON

Hopefully we won't have a repeat of:

"Can I hug you."

Or with the John Hurt talk someone asking if he could hold someone's Bear whilst he took a photo.

Thats cute :)

Yep, its cute, very cute and I'm a sentimentalist when it comes to Bears... But Imagine this.

SCENE 1: INT. TALK HALL.

Loads and loads of people all having bought Talk Tickets waiting for the one off opportunity of asking Gillian Andeson questions on all different subjects.

Person 1: Could I-

CUT.

I dont even want to encourage a repeat of last time, and to be honest it would be very embarrassing to those in the talk and especially Gillian if someone said "Can I have a hug?" you know, if someone wants to do that then perhaps ask her when other people are not paying to hear her answer important questions.

A lot of people are going to do a lot more (i.e. spend) for Gillian than other Guests and rethinking budgets etc.

This will be the first time that I'd have booked a photoshoot, paid talk and taken full advantage of the 5 Autograph limit and I feel that given this is a one off opportunity for fellow XPhiles who will be spending more than they'll usually spend at a con I dont feel people would want their talk experience marred in any way.

As for the Teddy, I think it would have been better and much more cuter if the person had booked a photoshoot with John Hurt and the Bear could have been in it as well, would have made a much nicer memento. :)

Edited by KingRichard76

Hopefully we won't have a repeat of:

"Can I hug you."

Or with the John Hurt talk someone asking if he could hold someone's Bear whilst he took a photo.

Thats cute :)

Yep, its cute, very cute and I'm a sentimentalist when it comes to Bears... But Imagine this.

SCENE 1: INT. TALK HALL.

Loads and loads of people all having bought Talk Tickets waiting for the one off opportunity of asking Gillian Andeson questions on all different subjects.

Person 1: Could I-

CUT.

I dont even want to encourage a repeat of last time, and to be honest it would be very embarrassing to those in the talk and especially Gillian if someone said "Can I have a hug?" you know, if someone wants to do that then perhaps ask her when other people are paying to hear her answer important questions.

A lot of people are going to do a lot more (i.e. spend) for Gillian than other Guests and rethinking budgets etc.

This will be the first time that I'd have booked a photoshoot, paid talk and taken full advantage of the 5 Autograph limit and I feel that given this is a one off opportunity for fellow XPhiles who will be spending more than they'll usually spend at a con I dont feel people would want their talk experience marred in any way.

As for the Teddy, I think it would have been better and much more cuter if the person had booked a photoshoot with John Hurt and the Bear could have been in it as well, would have made a much nicer memento. :)

You got a point there!

And yes a photoshoot with teddy and john hurt :D

Well it's common sense that if you want to do something like that, you do it at the autograph table or photoshoot area. The unfortunate thing is some people are completely selfish and take the time to ask things like that while there are hundreds of other people there paying to hear a talk.

It shouldnt take much to stamp it out. Just wait until everyones sat down and have someone on stage telling everyone that hugs/photo requests and the like are not permitted

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Showmasters Admin

It shouldnt take much to stamp it out. Just wait until everyones sat down and have someone on stage telling everyone that hugs/photo requests and the like are not permitted

:D

You got a point there!

And yes a photoshoot with teddy and john hurt :D

That would be uber cute :)

Well it's common sense that if you want to do something like that, you do it at the autograph table or photoshoot area. The unfortunate thing is some people are completely selfish and take the time to ask things like that while there are hundreds of other people there paying to hear a talk.

This is exactly what I mean :)

:D

This thumbs up gives me great confidence that all us XPhiles wont be chomping at the bit now and that the Talk will be a Talk :)

I was going to say actually I imagine Too Tall will have that in mind already anyway!

This I am happy about and will be one less thing for us all to worry about :)

Of course I have no doubt you'll get people doing it anyway because some just don't care about rules and only about what they want, but such is life!

Which would then give Showmasters the ideal opportunity to put into her contract how if this happens she can yell:

"FBI!!!! STOP OR I WILL SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol :D

• Showmasters Admin

Don't worry.

I'm against "can I have a hug" etc in any talk, even free ones. It's not what the talk is for. What if all 400+ people in the talk want a hug? Then we have 30+ minutes of hugging and no talk! Why should this one person get a hug and not everyone?

And as for paid talks, this type of "question" should definitely not even be considered.

It's a shame that some people are that selfish and ask, but I'll be making sure it's made clear it's not on.

Of course I have no doubt you'll get people doing it anyway because some just don't care about rules and only about what they want, but such is life!

Which would then give Showmasters the ideal opportunity to put into her contract how if this happens she can yell:

"FBI!!!! STOP OR I WILL SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol :D

I think a slightly simpler solution will be that we'll have a moderator with a mic who will politely but forcefully say "Thank you for your question, but NO!".

Perhaps actually having an interviewer? I know it's kind of treated as a Q&A but personally i'd just be interested in hearing a talk with her being asked about various aspects of her career and the interviewer moderating it and moving it along. Obviously things like hugs and photo requests can be shot down in flames as you say, but i'd rather hear about her career than someone ask what kind of fruit she'd be if she was one

• Showmasters Admin

Perhaps actually having an interviewer?

It's not a bad idea and one I have thought about before. I shall float it towards the office ;)

Maybe a bit of both, 30 minutes of the interviewer and then the last 15 minutes open up so people can ask their questions. As I know some people like to ask their own questions.

It's not a bad idea and one I have thought about before. I shall float it towards the office ;)

Maybe a bit of both, 30 minutes of the interviewer and then the last 15 minutes open up so people can ask their questions. As I know some people like to ask their own questions.

Bit of both would be best imo. Cause then you have the chance to find out both fun and fact :WINCE:

Maybe having people being able to submit questions before hand and the interviewer can ask them. Maybe the most asked questions for a common subject. Because some people might have a question, and is shy or not that confident in asking them.

cap

Yes I agree with the need for an interviewer.

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but we don't want to see a repaet performance of the Hot Fuzz talk at Manchester a few years ago. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were both excellent but the whole talk was SPOILT by people asking for free T shirts. Very Disappointing.

It's not a bad idea and one I have thought about before. I shall float it towards the office :(

I really liked the way the Christopher Lambert talk was done last year. Someone sat on stage with him guiding the session, asking questions, adding follow ups but also going back out to the audience as well. Thought it worked brilliantly. The whole thing flowed more like a conversation or chat show and it probably went a bit deeper than the usual sessions do.

I suppose that was a different type of audience but it might help to stop the "what's your favourite cheese?", "can i have a hug?", "will you wear my silly hat?" type of things. Maybe that's fun for some but in the limited time available I'd actually like to hear what the person has to say about the work they've done etc and having someone interviewing/guiding the conversation might help with that.

Just my view.

It's not a bad idea and one I have thought about before. I shall float it towards the office :(

there should always be someone (an interviewer as it were) on hand and ppl have been saying this for a while, a mix is good yes, interview questions, open up to the crowd then finish on interview questions perhaps, and this sometimes happens, weird that also sometimes the guest is left to their own devices with some of the ppl wanting to know what cheese they would be lol or demanding a hug.

its also good to have someone on hand incase the guest or the audience is a bit shy

Huge blowup of this badge for the backdrop to her talk, and just get her to point at it and say "before anybody asks..."

1281969751_a862043b1a.jpg

Don't worry.

I'm against "can I have a hug" etc in any talk, even free ones. It's not what the talk is for. What if all 400+ people in the talk want a hug? Then we have 30+ minutes of hugging and no talk! Why should this one person get a hug and not everyone?

And as for paid talks, this type of "question" should definitely not even be considered.

It's a shame that some people are that selfish and ask, but I'll be making sure it's made clear it's not on.

"FBI!!!! STOP OR I WILL SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol ;)

I think a slightly simpler solution will be that we'll have a moderator with a mic who will politely but forcefully say "Thank you for your question, but NO!".

That would be the best way.

I always prefer to ask my own questions, sometimes you ask someone an open question and you'll get an open answer other times you'll get a closed answer but never the less its still you asking it.

Maybe having people being able to submit questions before hand and the interviewer can ask them. Maybe the most asked questions for a common subject. Because some people might have a question, and is shy or not that confident in asking them.

cap

I'm not really for the whole submitting of questions as its nice to ask someone the question personally, but then again I've always asked relevant and legitimate questions and never been one to ask for any kind of "Favours" from those on stage.

Yes I agree with the need for an interviewer.

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but we don't want to see a repaet performance of the Hot Fuzz talk at Manchester a few years ago. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were both excellent but the whole talk was SPOILT by people asking for free T shirts. Very Disappointing.

Back in 2010 I sat in at the Dr. Who talk and one guy dressed up as the Doctor asked for everyone on stage (from what I can remember there were about six or seven cast members) if he could have a Photo, they obliged and whilst his Friend got the Camera ready all the Guests got off their seats and crowded around the guy for a rather impromptu photo shoot, and then go back to their seats.

Sure, I can see that this would have saved them around £70 - 80 + on Photoshoot Tickets and a nice little memory of the day but surely that cant be deemed by most as acceptable?

I'm not really for the whole submitting of questions as its nice to ask someone the question personally, but then again I've always asked relevant and legitimate questions and never been one to ask for any kind of "Favours" from those on stage.
Fair enough but not everyone is comfortable with public speaking. This method allows them to avoid that but still receive an answer to their question from the guest.

Fair enough but not everyone is comfortable with public speaking. This method allows them to avoid that but still receive an answer to their question from the guest.

It works quite well at the ME events. They seem to pick a few questions that have been submitted and then open it to the floor. And for whatever reason you seem to get more thoughtful/genuine questions that way.

Don't worry.

... I'll be making sure it's made clear it's not on.

;) Excellent! Thank you, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we'd appreciate that!

As for having an interviewer for part of the talk, then having the last part open for people to ask questions, I think that's a great idea and I feel that does work well. With regards to submitting questions beforehand, perhaps Showmasters could invite people to email in their questions if they'd like, and the interviewer could always use a few of the submitted questions, or use them if not many people asked questions at the end...