Guest Cancellation - Alex Meraz

Massive Events

Like any person, I find it disappointing that a guest cancels just before the event. But they can't help it and neither can ME. I'm grateful they're still doing this convention. I bought my ticket, with no guests having being announced because I have a good time at these conventions. I'm sure that they are disappointed that Alex cancelled too, but we can all still have a great time at the con! We have 4 GREAT guests, I'm happy to be going. With the low number of ticket sales they could have easily cancelled the whole event, but they haven't because they know we enjoy it. Thank you ME for trying! :) See you all soon! :) xx

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't moan, because alex has some work to do! i just moan, because of promises not being kept and then not even telling us....!

like someone else mentioned...no communication at all! now they even tried to be sneaky about myanna only being there on saturday...!

THAT is what i am moaning about!

Some of the comments on here are WAY too harsh. This isn't MEs fault! I'll keep going to these events because of the people I've met, I've made the best friends and these conventions are just so amazing.

I can't imagine how hard they work to get these events going! Sure they're just as annoyed about the cancellations as us!

Anyway, I'm beyond excitement but all this negativity is ruining it. Thank god all my friends are excited too :)

I would write more but I'm on my phone, but yes, rant over and roll on TOMORROW! <3

I don't think it's disrespectful to voice disappointment or an opinion. By and large, the people who post on here are very complimentary of ME/SM and have demonstrated their continuous support by purchasing tickets for this event over the last few years. The calibre of guests *has* declined somewhat while the ticket price has risen. Most of us aren't made of money (especially when a lot of us attend several ME/SM cons in the year) so this is a difficult thing to remain supportive of. But we continued to do so because promises were being made, or heavily hinted at and, because we have maintained that support (a lot of us from the very beginning, my friends and I have attended since ET1) we had faith that we would not be disappointed. A lot of us here had decided that we would only purchase tickets for ET7 if the guest list matched our expectations (and not the big three, my biggest hope for an awesome guest list would be people that play characters I am already invested in - i.e. not someone only on screen for a few minutes - and people I have not met before) but we had an apple dangled in front of us and we bit. Perhaps then, if people want to vent a little then that's okay and perfectly normal. We will probably all still have a good time but that doesn't mean people don't have the right to be upset. I know organisers don't like negative comments on their forums and sometimes censor things but I hope they can understand where this is coming from.

I don't think ME/SM have been deliberately negligent here, and I doubt that anyone else believes that they haven't tried to secure guests. But, I do think Twilight has become far bigger than SM/ME now and, as I've stated in a previous post, it was unfair to hype up this event before anyone had the absolute authority to do so. It *is* "swings and roundabouts" in terms of finances and whatnot but that's not quite the issue here. Some people feel duped and, indirectly or unintentionally, we have been a little bit.

I don't think it's disrespectful to voice disappointment or an opinion. By and large, the people who post on here are very complimentary of ME/SM and have demonstrated their continuous support by purchasing tickets for this event over the last few years. The calibre of guests *has* declined somewhat while the ticket price has risen. Most of us aren't made of money (especially when a lot of us attend several ME/SM cons in the year) so this is a difficult thing to remain supportive of. But we continued to do so because promises were being made, or heavily hinted at and, because we have maintained that support (a lot of us from the very beginning, my friends and I have attended since ET1) we had faith that we would not be disappointed. A lot of us here had decided that we would only purchase tickets for ET7 if the guest list matched our expectations (and not the big three, my biggest hope for an awesome guest list would be people that play characters I am already invested in - i.e. not someone only on screen for a few minutes - and people I have not met before) but we had an apple dangled in front of us and we bit. Perhaps then, if people want to vent a little then that's okay and perfectly normal. We will probably all still have a good time but that doesn't mean people don't have the right to be upset. I know organisers don't like negative comments on their forums and sometimes censor things but I hope they can understand where this is coming from.

I don't think ME/SM have been deliberately negligent here, and I doubt that anyone else believes that they haven't tried to secure guests. But, I do think Twilight has become far bigger than SM/ME now and, as I've stated in a previous post, it was unfair to hype up this event before anyone had the absolute authority to do so. It *is* "swings and roundabouts" in terms of finances and whatnot but that's not quite the issue here. Some people feel duped and, indirectly or unintentionally, we have been a little bit.

amen to that!

True, but unfortunately lots of folk here and facebook are saying its their last so to have another one in October might mean money lost for ME? I dunno how important it is for them to make all their money back.

Last time this happened there were 2 guests announced at the convention..But tbf the cancellation happened weeks before.

God knows, I have an opinion but I won't say it, cuz I am not attending the event. Cons like LFCC are always fantastic :(

I totally agree. I was so caught up in the hype at ET6 ... as soon as they said it was going official my money was spent.

I know I'll have a good time but I could have a good time with my best mate for a lot a lot a lot cheaper. Money I could have well spent elsewhere as Im so broke...

Really disappointing. A photograph doesn't make it up (lucky Im not standard or I'd be even more annoyed!). Definately our last one and what a shame.

But heh ho see every one tomorrow.

I join the row of the dissappointed, but it's no ones fault. I'm very pleased with the free group piccie (i'm silver) and sad alex called off. but i'm still fan of ME. Compare the service of other events company and ME is still the best even when their plans turn out to be a little impossible mission.

Looking forward to see you this weekend (i'm arriving saturday morning!) Twillight rules!!!

Seriously? .... SERIOUSLY!

Why am I not surprised!

don't standard ticket holders make up the majority of people going?

Why should we be left out?

why did I go against my gut feeling and give ME the benefit of the doubt regarding ET6's statement?

Oh yeah.. Cause I'm a fool!

*que unnecessary delete*

A general comment

I have to admit that this does tend to make me cringe. Whenever ME attempt to alleviate a last minute guest cancellation by offering something extra (a group photo, free guest encounters, etc) they receive some criticism. I fully agree that a late cancellation is disappointing, but unfortunately it is the nature of the industry. ME are not under any obligation to provide any form of replacement, let alone something which probably involves frantic last minute contract re-negotiations with each of the other guests. The criticism received each time does make me wonder how long they will continue to do something like this. Why bother...

Why am I not surprised!

why did I go against my gut feeling and give ME the benefit of the doubt regarding ET6's statement?

*que unnecessary delete*

On the schedule it says Gold "61 and over" Silver "151 and over" Standard "61 and over" so in this case the biggest number is actually silver, by double...

1of2 at Bitten with our last min cancellations we got an extra auto free (all groups) extra free single photo op (gold/silver) and a free group shot (gold/silver) we had 3 guests and the tickets were £10/£20/£30 cheaper. Here we have 4 guests, but ones only with us one day :(

FUMING!!!! I have come to every ET so far and okay I have had a good time at them but tbh et6 was meant to be my last one! When they said they where becoming official and pretty much guaranteed big guests I thought I will give them another shot and paid another £225... How stupid am I??? I have lost all trust in ME and I didn't want to but the guests calibre is getting worse and worse. In really upset that there hasn't even been alot of communication between ME and us to let us know what they are trying to do. I don't think a group photo is the answer to there problems. I do wish Alex all the best with his filming... Just voicing my opinion!!

Absolutely. I agree with all of this (apart from the guests thing. I am happy with all the guests.) I've only ever been disappointed with one guest.

I won't be attending another ET either.

1of2 at Bitten with our last min cancellations we got an extra auto free (all groups) extra free single photo op (gold/silver) and a free group shot (gold/silver) we had 3 guests and the tickets were £10/£20/£30 cheaper. Here we have 4 guests, but ones only with us one day :(
Unfortunately what was 'extra' at one event does not mean that it will apply to every event. I have experienced different combinations of extras.

Personally speaking as I never expected anything extra on each occasion it was a nice bonus.

• Moderators

If people choose not to attend anything one then I respect that, however I do think it's a shame considering how much work ME have put in over the past few years to put on the best Twilight conventions they possibly can.

There's a very good reason why there are no other Twi-cons in this country, and why one other organiser failed to get one off the ground, and that is because it has become tougher and tougher with every year that passes by.

The actors and actresses are more in demand in the industry and at cons, resulting in less availability and higher fees from agents etc. That's just what happens with one of the most popular franchises in the business.

However ME have always wanted to try and put on the best cons they possibly can. On any given weekend during the year, there's a chance that they could have a fantastic lineup. It's never 'guaranteed' but it has to be tried. Go and look at some of the calibre of guests that Jason and co have obtained over the years, and you realise how hard they work and what IS possible to achieve. If they gave up then there'd not even be that possibility.

I know I'm preaching to the majority that already understand, and that are disappointed with certain things, and that's completely fair. But some of the reactions are a little OTT, plus it is a shame to see people saying they'll never come again etc. NO ONE wants that, believe me.

Why am I not surprised!

*que unnecessary delete*

On the schedule it says Gold "61 and over" Silver "151 and over" Standard "61 and over" so in this case the biggest number is actually silver, by double...

well i haven't bothered looking at the schedule but even so it still doesn't make it right that standard ticket holders are treated differently! I will be joining the long list of people that wont be going to another ET event..

My money is better spent elsewhere

I totally 100 percent agree with this.

Yes I am cross as you have said...we all bit the apple. However, what infuriates me is that having bought a standard ticket, if i want the group shot (which has been offered as a gesture of good will to all gold and silver attendees, as Alex will not be attending) Standard ticket holders must pay £20 for it!!!! I think that is well and truly unfair. You cannot off a gesture of good will to certain people and not the others. We have all forked out money for tickets and are about to fork out money for a hotel room and travel costs also. I think considering all that has gone on the group shot should be offered as a gesture of good will to all attendees.

I mean no disrespect to ME/SE as I work in events an know how hard everyone works to pull an event of this scale off.

Effectively Gold/Silver ticket holders are paying for it anyway due to the extra cost of their ticket.

Another thing to consider is the cost. The last group photo that I took part in was £25. Previous to that I had taken part in one that was £35. So somehow ME are managing to decrease the price.

Please bear in mind that contracts have to be re-negotiated, with each guest, for this to happen (and at very short notice in this case). As I have pointed out earlier ME are under no obligation to offer this, and likewise no attendee is obligated to take part.

Enjoy it for what it is, an unexpected bonus.

Gold & silver have paid for autos and photos for people who will not be there.....And that is what the photo is being given for, not simply because he won't be there. Standard is exactly that, standard. So no I dnt see why they should get a free group photo. If they wanted photos included then they should have bought a standard where they are included in the price... Otherwise it's like saying the only difference between standard or silver is a bloody bag! Lol

I think the point here is not the bloody photo, it's the fact that we've been miss-led about the whole event and it's just been one disappointment after another leading up to it.

People saying its the meeting of friends that counts are just crazy, who pays to meet friends? I pay to meet guests, and I stand by my original complaint which is that ME should NEVER have made the ET6 statement then half the people on here that are genuinely and rightly miffed would not feel cheated.

And may I just add, I was so close to buying a gold ticket based on that statement, man would I be seething of I had so please spare me the high and mighty 'your just a standard ticket holder' because at this point I'm happy to only have paid that!!

Edited by crescita

I think the point here is not the bloody photo, it's the fact that we've been miss-led about the whole event and it's just been one disappointment after another leading up to it.

People saying its the meeting of friends that counts are just crazy, who pays to meet friends? I pay to meet guests, and I stand by my original complaint which is that ME should NEVER have made the ET6 statement then half the people on here that are genuinely and rightly miffed would not feel cheated.

And may I just add, I was so close to buying a gold ticket based on that statement, man would I be seething of I had so please spare me the high and mighty 'your just a standard ticket holder' because at this point I'm happy to only have paid that!!

I hope the high and mighty bit was not referring to my post lol I'm not even getting into the whol bigger better promises debate, or about them being official etc as I have in the past expressed my upset over those issues already. I was simply referring to the photo issue.

I unfortnetly paid for a gold, wish I only had standard myself. And I also do not go to the con for my friends, i completely agree. I pay to see guests. So I know exactly why everyone is so angry. D day is here now tho so I'm not gonna let it make me angry... It's too late to change anything.

At the end of the day you can't please everyone... and there are SO many factors affecting cons.

For example I don't go anymore as don't a lot of the people I met through these cons because we plain and simply don't like/grew out of twilight - it was a fad for me and my friends (unlike potter *cough* potter con ftw *cough*) so that affects numbers, as well as as david said the actors are more famous now so more in demand in the industry

SM cannot be blamed at all for what has happened, series of unfortunate events etc... as for people saying charlie should turn up PFT to that lol. Charlie is awesome and people moaned at the idea of him being announced yet nooooow people want him to have just to have an extra guest? If I was him and I saw that I'd be so offended.

Seems sm really couldn't win whatever way they went with things lol