Doctor Who

Swinny

Just as people pitch incessantly for their own chosen fandom, people will ALWAYS moan about too much of a fandom they dislike. Moaning bout people doing this perfectly natural thing is just as dull and annoying.:angry:

Kind of like polls then, is that what you're saying?

• Moderators

Just as people pitch incessantly for their own chosen fandom, people will ALWAYS moan about too much of a fandom they dislike. Moaning bout people doing this perfectly natural thing is just as dull and annoying. :cylon:

And you moaning about the moaning about the moaning .. yup, circle of life right :lol:

I just think taking a more positive and pro-active manner to potential guests is a better way of dealing with things.

Instead of saying "don't get any more Doctor Who, it's boring!" .. why don't people say "ok, here's what I'd like, I'm thinking outside of the box" and get their friends together or whoever in the fandom and prove that there's a viable fanbase out there that will attend events for these guests.

That's almost half of the problem - there's so many shows/movies out there that have HUGE fanbases but are unproven at signing events. Now obviously an organiser can decide whether they have enough money to take a risk or not with them, but it won't happen too often unless there's a huge lottery win or unlimited amounts of money.

We know that Who, Trek etc all have fandoms that involve a strong willingness to attend fan events. It's the Internet - it doesn't take long to find fans and become vocal. Unfortunately it takes effort and that's something perhaps most people aren't that bothered about doing.

• 2 months later...

Would love to see some new Who guests here. (I love Classic, but my friend's coming over from NY in hopes of meeting some new Who people and I worry she's not going to see anyone.)

I have my fingers crossed for Freema Agyeman.

And Alex Kingston, who seems to be becoming a regular! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

At least we have hope of seeing Mr Smith @ a future event, next year maybe (PLEASE).

Wouldn't bank on it just yet. One of those organisers claims they have him under exclusive contract. And of course the other organisers are his employers so can do what they want!

I still wouldn't count anything out. I mean of the 2 cons he's been a part of this year one of them was organised by the owners of his signature show (so naturally they would have all claims to him) and the other was in Southampton. Don't get me wrong I think to get Matt Smith in any kind of a contract deal at the moment would be very difficult but I think it'd be a fine stretch to say he's sealed off from any or all SM Events.

As for saying there are too many who guests I think that's one of those claims where the results speak for themselves. There are always gonna be a few people who don't like the idea but as the success rate of SM has already proven there are a multitude of people that do. Jason always does his best to cater to the fans and with the addition of Laura Vandervoort, Anthony Head & Hayden Pannetiere with a month to go that this years LFCC is no exception.