2012 reading goals

Firecracker

For the last 3 years, I've been trying to read more - and aiming for 100 books. Last year was my closest yet at 97 books (67 in 2009, and 65 in 2010). So here's to 2012!

I know people often try to work down the various top 100 classic books (I've seen them in the BBC, the Independent and Guardian newspapers in the UK, and there must be others)... so I wondered what people might be aiming for in 2012.

Anyone else want to try for 100*, and cheer each other on?

* I keep a track of page total too, as some of the detective books I read are maybe only 250 pages long, but I offset that by doorstop books like Game of Thrones or the Stieg Larsson books. So I'm using an average of 330 pages per book (from experience, most books are 330-350 pages long in the UK, in paperback format). I'm aiming for 100 books and 33,000 pages in 2012 - so that I don't "cheat" and get to 100 books by only reading shorter novels.

Best of luck reaching your goal this year! I've never had a goal of the number of books to read a year or anything and I really couldn't say how many I read a year it varies: some years probably more than 100 other years a good bit less. I tend to more have a list of books I want to read.

For instance my list at the moment is:

The Inernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, then Immortal Beloved followed by Balefire by Cate Tiernan, then the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings and then saga of Mr. Crepsley by Darren Shan. I'll probably end up swapping around the order at some point but that's my list at the mo. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

It's a challenge that is bloody hard to achieve. Good luck. I would love too but I don't read fast enough and don't have the time like I used too. I used to read a book a week, sometimes two depending on thickness. Now I'm lucky if I get through a book every three months.

I started reading The Hunger Games as I wanted to read it before I saw the film and go to The Games in June. That's easy I have 3 months before the film comes out. Bugger the film opens Friday next week and I'm still only a third of the way through the book. I'm really going to have make time to get my head into that book in the next few days. I then only have to worry about reading the other two in the trilogy before the con on the 8th June.

How do you manage to read so many in one year? That's incredible.

I'm a painfully slow read, something I decided to rectify. I made it my new year's resolution to read a book a month this year, hoping that reading more will increase my reading speed and thus my ability to enjoy more books!

I've started the year with Timothy Zahn's excellent Thrawn Trilogy, set 5 years after the events of Return of the Jedi for those who don't know. I'm on track to finish the third book at the end of March, so am trying to decide what to read next. Having busted out a hefty chunk of science fiction I think I'd like to mix it up a little and read some fantasy next, but can't decide whether to try the first of the A Song of Ice and Fire books, or the first of Robert Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series, both of which I'd very much like to read eventually. Any recommendations? :D