Hotels and Travel to Elstree Studios

jael001

I live in Borehamwood where the Studios are so I can help with anyone needing travel or hotel info.

The train station is Elstree & Borehamwood on the First Capital Connect line which goes via Kings Cross St Pancras. From the station it's about a 10 minute walk or a quick bus ride down Shenley Road (the high street) to the Studios and if necessary there is a taxi rank at the station.

If you're coming by car, it's a few minutes off the A1 Barnet Bypass near Stirling Corner. If you're coming on the M25 come off at J23 and follow the signs for the A1(S) London. It's no more than 10 to 15 minutes from the M25.

Hotels very close to the Studios are:

Ibis - http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-6186-ibi...ood/index.shtml

Premier Inn - http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/ELSBAR/...e-/-borehamwood

Traveloge (nearest one) - http://www2.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_bo...hp?hotel_id=373 - NOTE: if you look on Google Maps it shows the Travelodge being opposite the Studios, it's not, it's not far but it's not where it shows on there.

Travelodge (attached to the Toby Carvery and a little further away) - http://www2.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_bo...hp?hotel_id=446

plus not far away is a Holiday Inn http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/lon...net/hoteldetail which is a little nicer but you'd need a car if you're staying there as it's a little further and out of the way.

There are other hotels in the area but those are the closest and the cheapest.

The Studios are situated on a roundabout next to a huuuuuuge Tesco Extra (seriously, it's on 2 floors lol). There is a McDonalds on the roundabout opposite Tesco and there are plenty of shops, cafes and restaurants along Shenley Road between the train station and the Studios.

I dont know anything about parking at the Studios as I've never actually been there but I would assume that they do have parking for visitors. There is a market on Shenley Road on a Saturday so there's no parking on the high street. Tesco next door has a 3 hour parking limit. If you're staying at the hotels I would assume they have their own parking. There is also pay and display parking at The Venue (big sports centre next to the Ibis hotel, 5 minutes walk away).

If you look up the Studios on Google Maps, be aware that the picture that comes up is quite old and out of date and a lot of the places it shows either aren't actually where it says they are, or they dont exist anymore. The Studios, Tesco and McDonalds ARE all marked correctly though.

Please let me know if any other info is needed.

Edited by jael001

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it easy to park around there? I might drive but it all depends on parking.

as I wrote in the first post:

I dont know anything about parking at the Studios as I've never actually been there but I would assume that they do have parking for visitors. There is a market on Shenley Road on a Saturday so there's no parking on the high street. Tesco next door has a 3 hour parking limit. If you're staying at the hotels I would assume they have their own parking. There is also pay and display parking at The Venue (big sports centre next to the Ibis hotel, 5 minutes walk away).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Just needed some advice really as I will be travelling by Coach from Cardiff and will be arriving at Victoria Station. What do I need to catch to get to the studios. Just looked at autoroute now and it is just over 14 miles. Any ideas? Another option could be is there anybody travelling to this event from Wales maybe if there is room we could share petrol/parking??

Cheers

Andy

There is no direct way to get from Victoria to Borehamwood. I would suggest getting the underground from Victoria to St Pancras International Station and then take the First Capital Connect train from there to Elstree & Borehamwood Station. From the station it's either a shortish walk, a bus ride or a taxi.

A good way to check routes etc within London is to use the journey planner at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ and it will give you the various options available.

I've travelled to Elstree a few times, and even made sure to buy something in Tesco knowing full well its the same area where the Ewok Village once stood.

Whilst outside Tescos I managed to get a passerby to take a Photo of me with the "George Lucas Stage" in the background.

Your original post is very helpful :)

it's very sad that they had to sell off so much of the studio land and build Tesco on it :D I bought a book last week called Elstree & Borehamwood Through Time which has then and now pictures of the whole area (although none of the original studios sadly). According to the book: "Star Wars was filmed somewhere in the vicinity of the frozen food aisles" lol

it's very sad that they had to sell off so much of the studio land and build Tesco on it :D I bought a book last week called Elstree & Borehamwood Through Time which has then and now pictures of the whole area (although none of the original studios sadly). According to the book: "Star Wars was filmed somewhere in the vicinity of the frozen food aisles" lol

i wonder how many of us will vist the frozen fish and think of ackbar lol

Poor Ewoks. Did they chain themselves to the trees in protest?

:D

Last I heard they used catapults and rocks and stuff - it wasnt a peaceful protest ;)

it's very sad that they had to sell off so much of the studio land and build Tesco on it :( I bought a book last week called Elstree & Borehamwood Through Time which has then and now pictures of the whole area (although none of the original studios sadly). According to the book: "Star Wars was filmed somewhere in the vicinity of the frozen food aisles" lol

In Warwick (Davis's) book "Size Matters Not" he's said how that the Frozen Fish counter is where the Ewok Village was.

Thanks for this info. i just ordered my ticket the other day. Hopefully won't take long to show up. I want the ticket in my hand before i can actually believe that i have the chance to go on this! Can't understand how the event hasn't sold out yet. Surely loads of people would love the chance to go into Elstree??

Thanks for this info. i just ordered my ticket the other day. Hopefully won't take long to show up. I want the ticket in my hand before i can actually believe that i have the chance to go on this! Can't understand how the event hasn't sold out yet. Surely loads of people would love the chance to go into Elstree??

we got our tickets last week, around a month after ordering. They only just started posting them out and if they work like other companies then they'll be sent out in batches, so providing this weekends forecast snow doesn't grind the country to a halt then i'd imagine they'll be with you soon!

jael001, we may have a place to stay via a nearby friend. If not, is the area quite touristy, is it worth booking a hotel and sticking around for another day?

No the immediate area isn't touristy at all, it's pretty much suburbia, but you can get a train direct into London if you want to do stuff in London, or you can drive into St Albans which isnt too far away and they have some more touristy stuff up there (Roman ruins etc) or Hatfield which has Hatfield House (where Elizabeth I lived as a child).

I'm sure someone else mentioned it but how long is the journey from Elstree/Borehamwood to Kings Cross by train? Also what zone is it in? Not decided where to stay yet. I'm thinking near to the film studio as it's probably cheaper than central London.

No the immediate area isn't touristy at all, it's pretty much suburbia, but you can get a train direct into London if you want to do stuff in London, or you can drive into St Albans which isnt too far away and they have some more touristy stuff up there (Roman ruins etc) or Hatfield which has Hatfield House (where Elizabeth I lived as a child).

Thank you, sadly our place to stay has fell through so we're looking at hotels again. our friend recommended the Ibis opposite : )

from kings cross to Elstree you are looking at 20 mins at a guess. There is also a car park near the studios, it is about 200 hundred meters. if you stand with your back tot he studios just keep going forward across the roundabout. The car park is public and is £5 for over 5 hours as I guess most of us will be there longer than that possibly. id guess its around 100 places in there, so get there early if you want places, I know I will.

Derek