Feedback on cancellations

fifi

I don't blame Showmasters for the hotel problem, that's the hotel's mistake. I won't deny I'm not disappointed about Chris but Peter Williams is a fantastic guest and I have not met anyone else so will be interested to see what they are like. I look forward to making some more friends.

yup I have to agree with the disappointment as well, I'm normally very positive but for this con I am really like wtf .. with the guests the amount of money you pay for the entire event and for what you get doesn't really compare ... last time when shanks cancelled we got cool guests now we got like said before ones that have been in there for what 2 or 3 times?

I am gonna go because I will not throw away all the money I have spend cause I can't cancel my flight... and will try to make the best of it .. but I am still not hyper or even close to excited, besides seeing my friends.

i agree. 2 guests that have only ben in a couple of episodes and 3 repeats is rather a boring line up. i havent met any of them and i never throw money down the drain. i am sure we will have some fun but it just wont be the same. like others have said- how comes they didnt get someone who hadnt been before, even if they werent a big guest. anyway. looking forward to seeing everyone.

It was so easy staying in convention hotel. Can pop back to room whenever I want which was really nice. i hope I can enjoy the weekend and not have to ensure I'm not being charged for things I'm not supposed to be. This is certainly not the last they hear from me

i had got a phone call but luckaly am still in the park inn. i will still atend chevron cons as i come parly for the star guests but partly also for everything else. was dissapionted about both ben and chris canceling but am still coming, will come in the future and will probably still have fun. for those who bought costume phot shoots with ben or chris like me you can swap them for the group photo when you get to the con. i think were all so angry because of all the cancelations and mess up. i dont think things will get wors though. thye can nly get better. so we all need to just take deep breaths and just have fun.

For me the issue is not necessarily the cancellations, I have met both Ben and Chris before and to be honest I get quite excited at who the replacements could be but the issue I have is the replacements are all ME repeat guests and 2 of them were together at the last event they did, yes they are fantastic guests it has just left me a bit deflated that we have no one new as a replacement and I wasn't originally interested in the 2 girls who have been in approximately 1% of the show, I felt they were quite poor to have attending an SG convention although am sure they will be fantastic as is often the case with the ones I have no interest in. We haven't had many SGU people over and I don't know if you are trying to concentrate on SG1 as the last few cons have been pretty SG1 heavy, its not like SGU people don't do conventions they do and they have been over and are coming over for other events and by all accounts are fab guests. I am glad I am only silver at this event as would be very disheartened if I had paid any more. I have also done silver at 7.8 as have had to pay full price for my daughter as she will be 11 at that point and as I have no one I can leave her with that weekend the price of 2 Golds was to risky if cancellations occur. However if we are to start getting more repeats I won't be buying tickets in advance and will leave it until nearer the time to purchase if at all. There are a finite amount of convention goers and people will pay to see new guests if that isn't ME than so be it.

but the issue I have is the replacements are all ME repeat guests and 2 of them were together at the last event they did, yes they are fantastic guests it has just left me a bit deflated that we have no one new as a replacement
It's a case of trying to find guests who are available and willing to attend at such short notice.

Generally speaking people seem to be assuming that 'new' guests are simply sat around waiting for a phone call to attend an event. It doesn't work like that.

• Showmasters Admin
but the issue I have is the replacements are all ME repeat guests and 2 of them were together at the last event they did, yes they are fantastic guests it has just left me a bit deflated that we have no one new as a replacement
It's a case of trying to find guests who are available and willing to attend at such short notice.

Generally speaking people seem to be assuming that 'new' guests are simply sat around waiting for a phone call to attend an event. It doesn't work like that.

It's all about time frame. If the guys had more time (one or two months) there would have been more chance of the replacements being new guests. For a NEW guest it can take months to finalise contracts and for them to sign. In this case ME had a matter of days, 14 for Ben and only 7 to replace Chris.

Yes the guys will have started with NEW guests but as soon as it becomes apparent that the negotiations are going to take weeks, it's just a no go. Were as guests that have been before know ME and all that has already been done. It's a much simpler process so with a matter of days to get someone, repeat guests are more likely.

Now I don't want anyone taking this as, so it's just easier, so that's why we get repeat guests. The guys are ALWAYS trying to put on the best show they can, and it's just a big of a blow to them when a great line up falls apart, especially only weeks before the event. They do their best to get the best replacement(s) they can, they do understand you guys want new guests. But sometimes when it's so close to the show it comes down to get repeat guest(s) or none at all, because it's going to simply take too long to negotiate with a new guest and get them along.

Is it a pain when guests cancel at the last minute? of course it is, but as others have said it's part of the convention and signing event scene, it's part of the hobby that there is that risk.

I spent £3k going to SDCC last year and because of a miss announcement I missed meeting Zack Levi who was the biggest draw there for me. Was it a major blow? Yes of course it was, but I knew when I went the odds of getting to met him weren't very high and I took that risk.

I once spent over £300 taking my wife to see a sound of music in London because she wanted to see Connie Fisher as she'd loved "There's something about Maria!". But on the day we went she was ill and we got her stand in. Were we offered a refund? No, because we got what we paid for, we saw the Sound of Music live. They don't guarantee the main stars will be performing and you accept that risk if you book just for that one person.

EVERYONE takes a risk when they book for ANY signing events if they want one or two specific guests. That's never hidden from anyone, it's always made clear as day. It's your choice, take the risk or don't.

I spent £3k going to SDCC last year and because of a miss announcement I missed meeting Zack Levi who was the biggest draw there for me. Was it a major blow? Yes of course it was, but I knew when I went the odds of getting to met him weren't very high and I took that risk.

I once spent over £300 taking my wife to see a sound of music in London because she wanted to see Connie Fisher as she'd loved "There's something about Maria!". But on the day we went she was ill and we got her stand in. Were we offered a refund? No, because we got what we paid for, we saw the Sound of Music live. They don't guarantee the main stars will be performing and you accept that risk if you book just for that one person.

:unsure: x2

If you want to see which guests are going to be there, then do not book until the last minute. That is the only way to ensure that the guests you want to see will still be attending. I have been to lots of cons (not ME) and signing events where a big guest that you have been waiting to meet for ages is coming, than with only a few days to go cancels, and for me ruins the whole weekend.

I can see what SMs are saying about paying for the event which is fine.

But it doesn't make up for some people who have spent alot of hard earned cash losing the 2 main guests.

well its all about luck and perspective really isnt it.

this whole thing about dont book a con for s specific person/ppl is cobblers, because most ppl book cons based on the guests announced, and if they dont we are told the con was cxl or postponed cos of low ticket sales. of course some ppl can afford to book regardless or prefer to go for the party ect regardless of guests, well well done to them but most of us cant and dont book on those merits. its all down to guests. its a risk, yes.

however, cancelations are part of the game, its clear up front they can happen. its not showmasters fault.

however, again, when you factor in the different ticket types, sometimes the only thing u get extra for going gold is a drinks reception and priority. thats not enough for me to go gold at one of these, but I always go silver as I like the photos included.

personally i think the group shot although reasonably priced should of been included for at least golds and silvers. when all the major names pull out of a con. just my opinion,

but it all depends on what you go for at a con. sometimes for me going standard and photos separate are cheaper than a silver ticket which is madness, this i always get upset about, all you get for silver then is a few rows closer to the stage. so yer sometimes things like the group shot should be included and in the past stuff like that has been like the cyberwoman duo shoot at hub5. which i was very happy about.

I would of liked to come to this even with the cxls but due to the cxls as there were still nice guests, but i had to weigh up the cost and it was just too much in the end just for nice guests with hotel and travel factored it. but thats for me, im sure others who love stargate perhaps more than me to the level i love doctor who still think this con was amazing guest wise and totally worth it. its all down to perspective, also jason and mark did get replacements at short notice.

but yes im of the opinion in some circumstances, extras should be given to golds and silvers when the headliners pull out, and depending on the circumstance perhaps standards also. but thats just me

well its all about luck and perspective really isnt it.

this whole thing about dont book a con for s specific person/ppl is cobblers, because most ppl book cons based on the guests announced, and if they dont we are told the con was cxl or postponed cos of low ticket sales. of course some ppl can afford to book regardless or prefer to go for the party ect regardless of guests, well well done to them but most of us cant and dont book on those merits. its all down to guests. its a risk, yes.

however, cancelations are part of the game, its clear up front they can happen. its not showmasters fault.

however, again, when you factor in the different ticket types, sometimes the only thing u get extra for going gold is a drinks reception and priority. thats not enough for me to go gold at one of these, but I always go silver as I like the photos included.

personally i think the group shot although reasonably priced should of been included for at least golds and silvers. when all the major names pull out of a con. just my opinion,

but it all depends on what you go for at a con. sometimes for me going standard and photos separate are cheaper than a silver ticket which is madness, this i always get upset about, all you get for silver then is a few rows closer to the stage. so yer sometimes things like the group shot should be included and in the past stuff like that has been like the cyberwoman duo shoot at hub5. which i was very happy about.

I would of liked to come to this even with the cxls but due to the cxls as there were still nice guests, but i had to weigh up the cost and it was just too much in the end just for nice guests with hotel and travel factored it. but thats for me, im sure others who love stargate perhaps more than me to the level i love doctor who still think this con was amazing guest wise and totally worth it. its all down to perspective, also jason and mark did get replacements at short notice.

but yes im of the opinion in some circumstances, extras should be given to golds and silvers when the headliners pull out, and depending on the circumstance perhaps standards also. but thats just me

everyone was given pree signed autograph of either kavan smilth or suanne braun and gold got jason momoa. these were given to us when we got out packs on friday/sat morning.

so the weekend ...

I have to say it started out rather frustrating, when we found out that we were moved to the ibis ...

not on our account! we were moved to the holiday inn instead, those rooms are 144 a night ... they made them 60 per night, that's cheap :P plus an executive taxi to there and back as much as we wanted very nice indeed :P

we were moved back to our business rooms in the park inn sat and sun. so that made up big time! the con was ok I had more fun with friends then at the con. but I liked this weekend had a lot of laughs and slept well. :D