Guest Cancellation - Ben Browder

Massive Events

• Moderators

And, sadly, even waiting doesn't guarantee that guests will come - as seen with Hallowhedon today. It's just a risk we all have to choose to take if we want to go, and obviously a far higher one if you're only after 1 guest .. and even more if it's not for the show that the con covers.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a bit gutted that ben wont be coming and was gutted when michael shanks cancled day before of 7.5 last year but they got 3 guests last min to replace michael and it was excelent. i had a laugh made friends and had loads of fun. it can be frustrating when star guests cancle a week or so before the event but sometimes as i found last year. those you are least interested in can be the funniest friendliest ones at the event. i have a silver for 7.8 in feb. i will be gutted if ammanda cant make it. but ill still go on and have fun. all i can say is. have fun and enjoy yourself.

Edited by stargate geek emily

As for the concept of substituting the "Headline guests" at the last minute - I wonder if the fans would be so understanding at a music concert?

Sorry we cant bring you PINK FLOYD but we have got you the SUGABABES instead - just a thought.....

That would be a fair enough comparison if this had been billed as a Ben Browder convention - but it hasn't. It's more like a festival, featuring several bands. And there is your direct comparison - U2 were scheduled to headline Friday night at Glastonbury 2010 - and then Bono needed back surgery and they had to postpone. No refunds were offered, and U2 were replaced by Gorillaz. I don't have much time for U2, but I have no interest at all in Gorillaz. But dem's da breaks.

Perhaps I am little old fashioned but with these fan events I have seen "Stars" announce on facebook, twitter and their own websites that they are cancelling long before it is announced here. A recent example being someone who agreed to perform at a theatre - was given star billing and advertised before actually informing showmasters that they wouldnt attend.

Perhaps I have higher morales and decency but I move heaven and earth to meet my commitments and promises. It takes an extremely good reason not to fulfill my obligations. When I cant meet my obligations I inform the people concerned immediately, by phone, by e-mail or letter.

I do not inform people by blogging "Got an audition.....not going to England" on twitter or a personal website as has occurred on previous occasions.......

Edited by Darkrecall

Sometimes there is circumstances that really can't be helped.

I am a huge Ben fangirl, and while I am extremely sad that he won't be appearing I accept that cancellations can't be helped.

Ben for example has only once ever cancelled an event before. He is really not known for cancelling regularly.

If it's promotional work as it appears to be the case here then it's normally in the contract for the movie. That means it is actually a prior commitment than the contract to appear at the convention, as sad as it is for us.

As for the theatre stuff... I agree that those Twitter announcements could be avoided. I am not a big fan of Twitter anyway, but sometimes due to misunderstandings info gets out earlier than it's supposed to. I have no idea why this is an ongoing trend at the moment - if I had trust me, I'd try to stop it. :whistling:

The more parties are involved unfortunately the more chances that not everything happens on the same time. The theatre/event will start advertising that guest X has signed up, guest X will try to get people to attend, so it goes on Twitter or on the respective website. Especially if there's a time shift involved delays will happen.

But guests really don't cancel because they feel like it. If a working commitment comes up they can't tell what may come from it - if they accept a theatre role now two years later at an audition someone may remember seeing them on stage and they get the role of a lifetime.

So it is an extremely good reason for them.

Imagine you have made a commitment to let's say referee a football game. You're going to enjoy yourself, earn some money, meet fun people.

Then your job tells you that there is this very important seminar the same date, and if you do it it's possible that you get the promotion you have always been hoping for.

If you're one of the people who still go and work the football game you have my utmost respect. But the majority of people will at least end up doubting their decision, if they don't decide on going to the seminar right away.

I can understand on rare occasions there can prior commitments but I think that sci fans get a raw deal due to their fandom.

The actors and actresses need to remember they are only a "Star" if they have a fans and a following. I often think that sci fi fans create a rod for their own back by continually putting up with cancellations and poor etiquette.

I understand that booking for a single guest may seem risky but perhaps the fan is showing more loyalty than the guest.

Two events I attended the main guest cancelled the day before - both were flying in from the US but didnt inform of their non attendance till after they should have been sitting in the airport.....

I will not cross the road to meet either of them now - some will say I am cutting my nose off to spite my face but they no longer represent the characters or traits for which they were admired and therefore hold no interest for me.

Perhaps if more people voted with their feet we would have "Stars" respecting the fans rather than have them suffer the contempt of a twitter blog.

I booked for this event myself because of Ben - actually even rescheduled vacation and suffered through Disneyland Paris' understanding of Halloween nowadays. :whistling: So trust me, I know about being disappointed.

Perhaps if more people voted with their feet we would have "Stars" respecting the fans rather than have them suffer the contempt of a twitter blog.

Like I said before, I understand and feel about the Twitter problems. I agree, a cancellation should be done the right way. If these two cancellations make you feel that way that you don't want to meet the guests anymore fair enough, I see your point.

But with this we're really into a general discussion that has nothing to do with Ben's cancellation anymore. He has not announced anything on Twitter or something, another party has jumped the gun. As I've said above, Ben is not known for cancellations. You may have picked up under what circumstances he still came to London Film and Comic Con.

I just don't want any (potential) guest to see this and possibly be scared off.

If someone sees that attendees will get upset about a justified cancellation (sorry, I can not think of a more matching word) it will possibly make them think twice about coming, and I don't think anyone wants this to happen.

I totally understand that the definition of "justified" is subjective. But to hint a guest is not loyal towards their fans if they cancel is not something I agree with. Like I said above, I don't think any guest cancels light hearted.

I've talked to another guest last year - a friend of mine from the US is a huge fan and they had cancelled on him no less than 3 times. So finally his last solution was to have me get the autograph. I mentioned this to the guest because obviously I am female and the autograph was for a guy, and they asked me where my friend was. The guest's face got really sour and said that stories like this were the reason he wasn't signing up for events that far in advance because he hated to cancel and disappoint the fans.

You're making it sound like you expect a guest to refuse an upcoming acting role because of a convention in any case. That's got nothing to do with being loyal to fans anymore.

Unless we're talking Brad Pitt or Tom Hanks here most actors can't afford to turn down a role or sometimes not even a potential role. We've had guests flying in the day of an event and flying back right away Monday morning because they're doing the utmost possible to please their fans.

But a guest calling their agent and tell them "you have to reschedule my audition for the new Broadway play/the newest Spielberg movie, I am attending a convention"... even the most friendly agent may have to say something about this. :thumbup:

Of course I'm disappointed that Ben can't make it (I'm sure he doesn't feel great about having to cancel either) but in the world of conventions this happens all the time, it's just the way things have to work. Even the huge american conventions have a policy that the line up is subject to change.

Personally, I buy a ticket for the event. I'm going because I'm into SGA and SG-1.

As long as I can meet actors who've played some of my favourite characters, meet some like minded people who enjoy the same shows it will be a great event.

I'm sad that Ben can't make it as had a few things for him to sign and wanted a new photo since Collectormania :D met him at a SG con in Chicago this summer and he was good on stage, and that's high praise from me as I've never seen Farscape and I wasn't such a SG fan once it became "Fargate" :saiyan:

but yes, unfortunately, cancellations happen! even if you attend cons by other organisers! I hope for SGA and/or SGU replacements as there are only SG1 guests at the mo :D and I really loved SGU :clap: I have been fortunate to PA for David Blue twice, once for SM at Collectormania this year and then at a huge US con this summer, and he is such a dude! :D met him 3 times including Chevron 4, but happily see him on stage again and meet him again!

Hewlett would be epic too but I feel it may be a bit late in the day for big name replacements, but, hey, love to be proved wrong ;)

surfy sah xx

ammanda tapping cancled collectormania 15 in 2009 because she got called last min to film for sanctuery. i ask you. would you rather have sanctuery on tv or an autograph? well its the same with ben. i thanksfuly have got bens autograph and picture but last time i saw him the talks were cancled. i was looking forward to the talks with him this time. its annoying that he had to cancle but he willhave a good reason why.but as iv said before. if your that worried then dont book for 1 person and theose you least expect to be interested in can be the funniest friendliest people there. so dont get grumpy.enjoy yourself. im looking forward to coming whoever the guests are.michael cancles at chevron 7.5 just a day or 2 before the event last year. but everyone still had heaps of fun.i will be dissapointed if for a second time ammanda has to chancle for chevron 7.8 in feb but i will still go and have fun.

This will only be my second SM event, and although i am disappointed that Ben will not be attending, the events are still really enjoyable.

These events are about more than just the guests, they are a chance for people with similar interests to get together and share their enjoyment of all things SG, (and if you're like me) all things SciFi, without having to feel slightly embarrassed or having to explain it to the one person in the office who has never watched Scifi but feel they have the right to make fun of you for it. (sorry I digress).

The people (fans and organisers) at these conventions are really great, and the guests are the icing on the cake. Okay, I admit that it is the guests that people are paying to see, but the withdrawal of one guest (headliner or not) will not ruin the weekend.

Chris Judge had equal billing to Ben Browder, and from what i have seen of him (via a well known video sharing website) from previous conventions around the world i am sure he is perfectly capable of making up for the missing Ben.

The other guests will also add to the event. They may have only guest starred on SG but most actors relish being on a stage and performing to a live audience, so i am sure they will be equally as entertaining. If we are open and welcoming to them, they will reward us with a great show. If we all go round moping and moaning about Ben not being there they are lilely to get pretty grumpy about it and rightly so.

So in conclusion, i put my faith in the great and mighty SM organisers, and hope for many more guests, but even if we only have the three i am sure it will be just as much fun.

:YAHOO:

This will only be my second SM event, and although i am disappointed that Ben will not be attending, the events are still really enjoyable..

I agree :) this will be my first one and hopefully not the last. And I know I will have soooooo much fun :))))) It will be great to meet people that love SG as much as I do as the only person that I know with the same interest is my DAD ;)

So I will see you all there for lots and lots of good time :D:YAHOO:

I'm having trouble sleeping. ;)

I hope they announce something soon, I can't concentrate on work :rolleyes:

Me too!!!!

I'm really disappointed about Ben, but like others have said - we knew the risks when we bought a ticket.

I'm quite excited about who we could now get, and I'm trying to be positive and hope it's someone amamzing (it almost always is!)

mmmmm......not the greatest news to hear, as much as I love the judge I have met him several times, I just hope that ME manage to get a couple of decent replacements, the 2 girls currently coming, I am sure they will be great guests however this is a stargate convention and they have been in very few episodes and tbh I'm not fussed about meeting them and currently I am not looking forward to the weekend as much as I normally do.... will wait to hear on the replacements.

C'mon SM! Let us know who the other guests are??? The anticipation is killing me!
It's unlikely to happen this weekend as ME are at Hallowhedon.

Since we have at least a weekend to wait, anyone want to pass the time by guessing who the guests will be :D:D ?

C'mon SM! Let us know who the other guests are??? The anticipation is killing me!
It's unlikely to happen this weekend as ME are at Hallowhedon.

Since we have at least a weekend to wait, anyone want to pass the time by guessing who the guests will be :headscratch::D ?

Paul McGillion maybe?

Edited by 1of2