Unable to attend

steve88

My son has become seriously ill and spent the last six weeks in intensive care.He has had to have a trachostome and needs help with air through the night.He suffers from Muscular Dystrophy on top of this new illness. We are at home now and he is recovering well but obviously i am not sure i will be able to attend Halloweeden . I am trying to see if a hospice will look after him but i am having no luck so far, but intend to keep trying. i bought the gold ticket and feel sad that i may miss out on all the fun but I am relived my son is making a slow recovery. i am having meeting with social services this week and they may be able to help put pressure on a hospice to take him as the hospital has advised us that we need a break so we can carry on looking after him as he now needs 24 hour care. Not sure why i posted this on here i guess i just feel down about it all at the moment but hope you all have a great time as it looks a great convention

Hi Steve

Very sorry to hear about your son, and I'm sure that you must be relieved that things are going a bit better for him. A reminder, if one is needed, that there are many things more important than conventions, TV shows, etc. I wish him well and hope that he makes a full recovery. I'm not sure you said how old he is, but perhaps during recuperation you should stick him in front of the Buffy box set and let him watch the whole thing!

I had a similar issue last year after a similar family illness problem. In the end we just went for the day on Sunday rather than do the whole weekend. We had a wonderful day too and if you don't want to leave your son overnight perhaps a day out could be just what you need (anyone who is caring for someone really needs a day off here and there).

The good thing about going on Sunday is that you can still collect all your photos, autographs etc on Sunday morning, as we did. If you were originally on the list for photos or autographs on Saturday but didn't get it done in your slot, you are then allowed to come along any time after that slot, which means you can get them all done on Sunday. You might have some slots already timetabled for Sunday, so you need to plan this a bit. Suggest you get there about 8.30, pick up your goodies and plan how you're going to get everything done. All the staff there are very helpful and friendly, and will do their best to make sure you get them all. After that, you can enjoy the talks in the afternoon and at the end you'll feel you had a good day out, met Cordy and co, and be home later that evening.

My point is that even if you can only get care for the day, rather than the whole weekend, then you can still go and have a great day.

Or perhaps the good people at Massive Events will take note of your difficult situation and swap the tickets for gold tickets next year?

Best wishes to you and your son. Hope you have a shiny day.

Thanks for the good wishes and good advice .James is 15 and is the right age for Buffy and co and has enjoyed the playstation 2 game so he knows some of the characters and we watched the motion comic of season 8 in hospital on my ipod touch. he is mainly listining to dr who audiobooks as he is bedridden at moment but we are working on getting him back into his wheelchair for short times.Things are improving but i think the shock of how fast he fell ill is only hitting us all now we are back at home.Hopefully we will have more of an idea when we actually start getting some help from social services but as usual they blame the hospital for discharging us but James has made a marked improvement now he has come home.Thanks for posting as it has cheered me up no end

HI Steve,

I'm glad you felt you could post on here, I think it just shows how special the Whedonite bond is, and I'm glad we could be there to listen. I'm sure we all wish we could help, but if you need to post again, you know there's always someone on the forum who'll reply and show their support.

Huge hugs to you and your family :-)

sorry to hear about your son, i join the others in hoping all will go well for you and your family!!! i know SM have a no refund policy, but under these circumstances they might just (thats if you cant make it) fingers crossed for you.

sometimes it helps to just get it off your chest

Thanks for all the posts ,they have really cheered us up.

Had meeting with social services and they have promised some night care for James,but how much and when this will start remains to be seen .Hopefully soon because i am only getting a few hours sleep a day at the moment,but James is progressing well and is staying longer in his whelchair each day.

Have asked if they could put pressure on the hospice to have James for the Halloweeden weekend, but i am concentrating on getting the help we need at home first before anything else

Will know more hopefully soon and will then be able to decide about attending .

Thanks again

Thanks for all the posts . Busy in meetings with social services this week got another big meeting this wedensday and have managed to get night care for my son to start next weekend, and have got a hospice to take my son in for Saturday in the daytime. So things are hopefully falling into place so i should be able to attend some of the convention if not all (fingers crossed).

James has had a check up this week at hospital and they are really pleased with him.

Thanks for all the good will messages they have really meant a lot to us and hopefully will see some of you at Halloweeden.

James has picked up a mild infection on top of everything he already has and so we are struggling a bit using cough assist machines to get him back to health again, i will have to miss out on the weekend this year but i hope you all have a great time and i hope to see you all another time.Thanks again for all the messages they have really helped me cope with all this

Edited by steve88

I'm so sorry to hear that James has a mild infection on top of everything else. Also sad to hear that you can't be at HalloWhedon, but of course family comes first. I hope James gets better soon. Lots of luck once again to you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you all had a great time at hallowhedon judging by all the wonderful pics.

James is getting better though he is getting a sore nose due to the mask he has to wear at night but we are now getting night help four times a week now which is a big relief to us all.Hopefully if he keeps going as well as he is we might try him back at school before christmas (fingers crossed).

Those nice people at showmasters ( Thanks Yvie) have emailed me and offered me the chance to transfer this years tickets for hallowheeden 3 for next years so hopefully will be seeing you all next year .As soon as i get official confirmation will book hotel, so really looking forward to next year as the posts and pics make this look the best halloween party in the world.

Thanks for all the well wishes they were much appreciated