Posted photos left behind...

SilvaNemesis

I've loved everything about this show and had a great time going to it an meeting the guests but there is one thing I was a bit dissatisfied about. Because of the problem with the photos being delayed due to the mistaken reprinting, I had to leave without one of my photoshoots.

I filled in the form and paid £2.00 for what I thought would be recorded delivery as it has been on previous occasions and the photo has eventually turned up - but with a 2nd class stamp on it?! An envelope and a 2nd class stamp doesn't cost that much, so why is it £2.00?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not quibbling over the money, it's the principal of it and the fact that with solely a second class stamp on it, it also allows for the possibility of it going missing in the post, where as with recorded delivry, although it's not guaranteed to arrive, it is at least trackable.

Okay, that's my one gripe, that I felt I must mention.

Cheers!

Apart from the obvious Royal Mail charges there is also an admin fee (i.e. people using up their spare time to match up the the 100/1000's of photos, writing the envelopes, posting them, etc). A more than reasonable charge I think, considering the numbers and time involved.

Recorded Delivery does not offer proper tracking, just proof of posting and a signature on delivery. Tracking is covered by the (at least £5) more expensive Special Delivery. From the Royal Mail website;

Recorded Delivery

Proof of posting

Signature on delivery

Online confirmation of delivery

Special Delivery

Guaranteed delivery before 1.00pm

Guaranteed Saturday Delivery for a small surcharge

99%* UK coverage

Online tracking

Electronic Proof of Delivery

Up to £2,500 compensation

As I said, I'm not making a big fuss out of it, I just wanted to find out where exactly the £2 mark came from. Special delivery is guaranteed to arrive but as you said ridiculously expensive. I've not had a problem with recorded items arriving, but I have had quite a bit of 1st/2nd class standard stuff go missing, so I wouldn't have been too happy had it gone that way, fortunately it was fine. Anyway thanks for clarifying.

Apart from the obvious Royal Mail charges there is also an admin fee (i.e. people using up their spare time to match up the the 100/1000's of photos, writing the envelopes, posting them, etc). A more than reasonable charge I think, considering the numbers and time involved.

Recorded Delivery does not offer proper tracking, just proof of posting and a signature on delivery. Tracking is covered by the (at least £5) more expensive Special Delivery. From the Royal Mail website;

Recorded Delivery

Proof of posting

Signature on delivery

Online confirmation of delivery

Special Delivery

Guaranteed delivery before 1.00pm

Guaranteed Saturday Delivery for a small surcharge

99%* UK coverage

Online tracking

Electronic Proof of Delivery

Up to £2,500 compensation

As 1of2 stated much of the fee goes to cover the cost of the people doing the hard work of sorting, matching and posting the photos. If the photos were sent recorded then it would cost £1.13 second class which would only leave 87p to cover the other costs. Besides, if your photo did go missing in the post, SM could just print another and send it to you, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

As 1of2 stated much of the fee goes to cover the cost of the people doing the hard work of sorting, matching and posting the photos. If the photos were sent recorded then it would cost £1.13 second class which would only leave 87p to cover the other costs. Besides, if your photo did go missing in the post, SM could just print another and send it to you, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

If they keep copies of them then fair enough, I wasn't aware that they did. I've never had the problem before hence me querying it now.

If they keep copies of them then fair enough, I wasn't aware that they did. I've never had the problem before hence me querying it now.

It's a digital camera equipment that's used at the shoots. SM store the files, so if anything happens in transit it's absolutely no problem to send out a new copy.