my feed back and reply to some points made

showmasters

My only grumble about EMS is that during the David Tennant signing, my photo was passed to him before I got to him, so it was already signed when I reached him, therefore I barely got 20 seconds with him. I know he had a huge number of fans to get through and therefore conversation was limited, but I didn't even get to say 'hello', or even make eye contact lol. If the items could be passed to the guest quickly but in time with the fan, that would be much appreciated!

Otherwise I have no complaints! The heat couldn't have been helped and if security mess up the queues, that's just one of those things that you deal with then move on, in my view.

"

My only grumble about EMS is that during the David Tennant signing, my photo was passed to him before I got to him, so it was already signed when I reached him, therefore I barely got 20 seconds with him. I know he had a huge number of fans to get through and therefore conversation was limited, but I didn't even get to say 'hello', or even make eye contact lol. If the items could be passed to the guest quickly but in time with the fan, that would be much appreciated! "

Yeah that happened to us as well, the guy in front got a bunch of stuff signed, went to leave and then came back to shake hands and have a further chat, our stuff got signed during HIS chat, and then the next persons stuff was already on the way... I don't blame anyone except that guy, so come on attendees, think of your fellow attendees and dont steal our chance to have that moment you have already enjoyed.

Lack of seating was a problem for us too...and when we had to resort to sitting on the floor next to a wall we were told to move by SM staff. The only seats we could find were constantly taken by groups.

Where were you sitting? Me and a friend sat in one place for about an hour, and didn't have anyone telling us to move. Then I sat somewhere while she went to get her DT autograph too

Near where the hot dogs were being sold, where te comic artists were.

Thanks Jason, we had a good weekend and want to thank you for highlighting the blip on my photo!, can't wait for it to come back, however I would like to see black marker pen not used again!!, prehaps a table with 'dodgy' photos on?!

Thanks again, looking forward to March!

Ali xx

Some more feedback: Spell check!

This was a pain to read at times. :-S

As has been pointed out elsewhere, Jason is dyslexic and most of those errors wouldn't have been picked up by a spellchecker anyway. I actually found it much easier to read than those that use text speak on here :D

A good program that I use at work and other dyslexics used too is called Read and Write. It has got a good spell checker on there, and also another feature (don't remember what it is called) but it goes through the words and highlight common misspell words and asks you if it is the correct one or not. It also brings that word up in a sentence. So it would had highlighted the word cheque, and give Jason similar sounding words like check etc. And put them in a sentence.

It also have got a word prediction feature that gives you a list of words that it thinks you will be using next. It will also learn over time to improve the predictions and the commonly used words.

I would recommend that people look at this, if they have got dyslexic or similar disabilites.

cap

Yeah that happened to us as well, the guy in front got a bunch of stuff signed, went to leave and then came back to shake hands and have a further chat, our stuff got signed during HIS chat, and then the next persons stuff was already on the way... I don't blame anyone except that guy, so come on attendees, think of your fellow attendees and dont steal our chance to have that moment you have already enjoyed.

That happened to me as well. The person kept on chatting to David while he was signing my stuff but I couldn't even get a word out... thankfully my mum managed a very brief chat to him but my only criticism is that perhaps next time in situations like this, things are passed to David once the other person has left, though I understand that might not be able to happen all the time... It was a shame that I was unable to just say something to him because of other people hanging around...

One thing I really like about SM events is the way they listen to constructive feedback and try to improve things at future events, such as the gloves worn by the crew at photo pick-up this time. It's why I keep coming back (and look forward to making the most of future events, unlike this time. Stupid knee injury).

What cookiemonster said - my only persistent negative feedback on the London conventions is SEATING. :P Not everyone can be on their feet all day and I'd be happy to pay a little extra for chairs.

Thats ok if it is done as having someone there hiring chairs, it would not be right to increase the entry price to cover chairs for those who do not wish to sit down, or are happy to stand.

Edited by scifisteve

We had a great weekend, as ever. Autographs and photos were much better organised for the bigger guests and a big improvement on LFCC. Great guests. I was so busy I hardly had time to sit down, though some more chairs would have eased my tired legs! Earls Court 2 is much better for cafes and seating but it was nice to be here and not Olympia.

A couple of things. One of the crew helping out with the photos was NOT wearing blue gloves and was handling the photos a lot.

Can we have a standard policy about calling numbers/lining up for photo queues? I realise that for guests with low numbers of sales there's no point, but for the bigger guests some things worked better than others. I liked the (female) crew member who lined people up in 2 lines, by colour of ticket. That worked really well. Telling people to go away and come back in 10 mins didn't. If you went, you came back and had lost your place because the queue had moved more quickly than expected but if you stayed you were barracked by the crew member. There was plenty of space to line up.

Overall, though, a terrific event. Can't wait for the next one and have already booked my hotel for next summer!

"

My only grumble about EMS is that during the David Tennant signing, my photo was passed to him before I got to him, so it was already signed when I reached him, therefore I barely got 20 seconds with him. I know he had a huge number of fans to get through and therefore conversation was limited, but I didn't even get to say 'hello', or even make eye contact lol. If the items could be passed to the guest quickly but in time with the fan, that would be much appreciated! "

That happened to me as well. The person kept on chatting to David while he was signing my stuff but I couldn't even get a word out... thankfully my mum managed a very brief chat to him but my only criticism is that perhaps next time in situations like this, things are passed to David once the other person has left, though I understand that might not be able to happen all the time... It was a shame that I was unable to just say something to him because of other people hanging around...

Always own that moment, as soon as the attendee in front has gone that's your moment with him don't watch what he's signing just watch his eyes and tell him what you want to say otherwise you will miss out. I talked to Mark Sheppard at lfcc was meant to be short and sweet but it ended up being a long conversion and I was aware he was signing other people's stuff but it also felt rude to leave in the middle of a discussion but I've now got happy memories of Mark forever.

What cookiemonster said - my only persistent negative feedback on the London conventions is SEATING. :whistling: Not everyone can be on their feet all day and I'd be happy to pay a little extra for chairs.
Thats ok if it is done as having someone there hiring chairs, it would not be right to increase the entry price to cover chairs for those who do not wish to sit down, or are happy to stand.

Now there's the thin end of the wedge. Because once you take that attituide, then somebody else will say that they're not interested in cosplay or anything else on the second stage, so they want a 10% discount on their entry ticket because they don't see why they should pay for that bit of the venue to be hired. And somebody else will point out that they're not going to any talks, so why should they pay anything towards that bit of the venue (hire, facilities etc). And then somebody else will say that they always bring their own stuff to get signed and their own pens, so they don't need a picture or use of the SM Sharpies, so they should have a quid discount on every auto, and it all gets messy.

I think if SM do provide more seating, it would have to be just as a general show improvement.

What cookiemonster said - my only persistent negative feedback on the London conventions is SEATING. :P Not everyone can be on their feet all day and I'd be happy to pay a little extra for chairs.

Now there's the thin end of the wedge. Because once you take that attituide, then somebody else will say that they're not interested in cosplay or anything else on the second stage, so they want a 10% discount on their entry ticket because they don't see why they should pay for that bit of the venue to be hired. And somebody else will point out that they're not going to any talks, so why should they pay anything towards that bit of the venue (hire, facilities etc). And then somebody else will say that they always bring their own stuff to get signed and their own pens, so they don't need a picture or use of the SM Sharpies, so they should have a quid discount on every auto, and it all gets messy.

I think if SM do provide more seating, it would have to be just as a general show improvement.

Not everybody who attends is young,fit & ablebodied, and it would be a great shame if some of us older ones, or those with a bit of a disability,either temporary or more permanent, were unable to come just because we might need a seat occasionally! Folks who use wheelchairs are, quite rightly , catered for very well. Like a lot of people, I am quite happy to pay the full price even if I do not do cosplay,miss most of the talks and only see a few guests, etc.Cookiemonster(my son,bless him)made his point because he was concerned about me,and had to heave this old Star Trek fan off the floor.....I love attending these shows,and hope to attend next years', so had better start saving hard for gold passes!

Not everybody who attends is young,fit & ablebodied, and it would be a great shame if some of us older ones, or those with a bit of a disability,either temporary or more permanent, were unable to come just because we might need a seat occasionally! Folks who use wheelchairs are, quite rightly , catered for very well. Like a lot of people, I am quite happy to pay the full price even if I do not do cosplay,miss most of the talks and only see a few guests, etc.Cookiemonster(my son,bless him)made his point because he was concerned about me,and had to heave this old Star Trek fan off the floor.....I love attending these shows,and hope to attend next years', so had better start saving hard for gold passes!

Well, that's just it, isn't it. *sighs* The last time I came to a London convention before this, there was no seating and I had to be hauled up off the floor, and the person who helped me up dislocated my wrist doing so. This time I borrowed a manual wheelchair from the venue - but I could only do that because one of my friends was willing to attend and push me 'round all day. I can't self-propel, so chairs would just be so much easier, and would be helpful for people who don't need a wheelchair all day but who DO need to sit down every now and then - which is most people!

Edited by Trialia

Unfortunately it isn't always possible to 'own the moment' if someone is in front of you, and you are being hurried on by others. The attendee in front of me actually was fine, it was literally the fact that my photo was passed on too soon, and as I could only afford one item to get signed, it was done quickly and the moment was never really there for me to make the most of. I got in front of DT as my then signed photo was being handed back to me, and the queue had already moved to the person behind me. It's one of those things I know, but I was so excited and had saved to pay the £45 and it kind of didn't feel worth it in the end. I will still attend SM events in the future, but think this issue could be fed back to the staff/volunteers so they are aware next time. It wasn't all of the staff either, so please don't take my comments as criticising everyone!

Unfortunately it isn't always possible to 'own the moment' if someone is in front of you, and you are being hurried on by others. The attendee in front of me actually was fine, it was literally the fact that my photo was passed on too soon, and as I could only afford one item to get signed, it was done quickly and the moment was never really there for me to make the most of. I got in front of DT as my then signed photo was being handed back to me, and the queue had already moved to the person behind me. It's one of those things I know, but I was so excited and had saved to pay the £45 and it kind of didn't feel worth it in the end. I will still attend SM events in the future, but think this issue could be fed back to the staff/volunteers so they are aware next time. It wasn't all of the staff either, so please don't take my comments as criticising everyone!

I had a similar experience with David Tennant autograph, and although it was good to see him, I much prefer my encounters with nonheadliners, but great actors, such as Paul McGann, Robert Patrick and Andy Robinson who were all delightful,great fun,and had time to talk.

John H & David T - arguably A-list so really well done securing these two. Appreciated that you could take photos of David whilst queuing (this would be my tip for future). Some people inc ourselves are happy to pay for a professional shoot for certain people but just like a memory for others using own camera. Really happy if you were to ban the use of flash photography given that most cameras these days cope well - I guess the constant flashing for crew & actors is not great. Keep up great work!

John H & David T - arguably A-list so really well done securing these two. Appreciated that you could take photos of David whilst queuing (this would be my tip for future). Some people inc ourselves are happy to pay for a professional shoot for certain people but just like a memory for others using own camera. Really happy if you were to ban the use of flash photography given that most cameras these days cope well - I guess the constant flashing for crew & actors is not great. Keep up great work!

I agree, making memories by being allowed to take photos is important to me, it is not essential to use the flash as most of these events are well lit and most cameras will cope. I understand the continual use of flash photography can be uncomfortable for the guests but being allowed to take photos without the use of a flash would be appreciated.

I agree, making memories by being allowed to take photos is important to me, it is not essential to use the flash as most of these events are well lit and most cameras will cope. I understand the continual use of flash photography can be uncomfortable for the guests but being allowed to take photos without the use of a flash would be appreciated.

In a perfect world that would be fine. Unfortunately there are the following types of people,

1) The ones that genuinely do not know how to turn the flash off (they do exist - I have been asked a few times by people if I know how to turn off their camera flash). Some will still take a photo anyway because "it's the fault of the camera".

2) Those that forget to turn off the flash.

3) Those who disregard the rule and don't turn off the flash. As with the people that forget to turn off the flash, it is impossible for the crew to manage. On the occasions where a 'no photo' rule is in place it is easier for the crew to spot somebody raising a camera, and stop them before they take a photo. However with a 'no flash photography' rule there is no way for the crew to know if a flash is turned on or off until the photo is taken, at which point it is too late. That is not fair on the guests who have requested it for comfort/health reasons.

So, potentially for every one person who does not use a flash as requested, there may be three other occasions where a flash is used. Unfortunately, it is far simpler to have a complete ban than to hope people will comply. SM do allow photos at the desk wherever possible. I certainly didn't expect to be allowed to take photo's during David Tennant's signing. The same with William Shatner at LFCC '10. Both were very nice 'bonuses'.

I am like you, and no doubt many others, and enjoy taking photos at the desk singings. As far as I can recall I have never used a flash purely due to the comfort of the guests. The only time I may use a flash is during the first few minutes of a talk - when it is allowed.