James Earl Jones, Driving Miss Daisy

thepurplehoodedwarrior

I have heard his assistant takes the item/s you want to be signed inside the stage door for him to sign while you wait. When he was in London last time he signed autographs from inside his car but because of the location of this theatre stage door being tucked down a side street I guess he's signing inside before coming out. He normally signs 2 autos per person and is an amazing friendly guy!

I went on Friday night hoping to catch him after the performance, waited round by the stage door until after the show had finished and until the crowd had thinned out quite a bit but eventually we were told he had already left for the evening. We hung round for a bit longer wondering if it was a ruse to get rid of the crowd so he could sneak out without being bothered but eventually his son came out and said he had definately left for the evening.

His advice was to send any items in with a SAE and he would make sure it was signed and sent back. The impression I got was that he left probably by the front exit as that way he could probably nip straight out into his car where the stage door exit was round a side street with limited veichle access.

If you were after a poster, you might be able to go in earlier in the day, leave the poster then come and collect it afterwards. His son seemed pretty accomodating when it came to helping out with things like that so he might be the one to try and grab a word with if you can see him.

would really like his autograph, so is it better to drop something up early and return for it tho and what sort of time? Ideally like to meet, but understand he doesnt really do stage door stuff. Any suggestions for best way to get his (and Vanessa Redgrave's) auto?

From the people who we spoke with a week or so back it seems Vanessa Redgrave does not always stop to sign autographs after the show. In fact I understand she had not even performed in the play that night or a few evenings before that due to illness so if you were looking for in person autograph from her it may be a case of taking your chances but don't expect too much.

Couldn't say on the best times to drop things off then hope to pick them up later. It seems speaking to his son first is the best way to go about it as I suspect the theatre staff would not be willing to get involved in those sorts of arrangements, but you might have to be prepared to wait around for a while to get hold of him to get something sorted.

Don't mind waiting around, is it just a case of go to the stage door sometime before the performance (guessing he wont be about all day) and asking for his son (Flynn?)? or waiting for him to turn up? We are quite happy to wait for a chance to get his autograph, however it comes!

EDIT: Oh and thank you for your help btw!

Edited by mikeh1982

When we went we hung round for a while during the evening performance, his son turned up some time after the performance finished but we didn't really get chatting to him until he was about to leave for the evening, although that was partly because we didn't really know who he was when he first walked past!

I certainly wouldn't like to pretend to be any expert on this, I only spent one evening there and actually came away with nothing (in fact I'm still waiting for the photo I sent in to be returned!) I think the key is to be prepared to wait and try and be as flexible as you can if it comes to going away and coming back later in the day.

• 4 weeks later...

i just got 2 items signed tonight the blurays and a pic was waiting around outside around 9:20pm

a guy come out and was giving items back to people that had been signed

i asked if he was coming out and was told no but i can get them done for you 10 mins later i get them back i thank the guy shake his hand and hang around anyway just to try and see him or get vanessas

at ten someone said they had left

would of liked to have meet him but well happy getting my stuff done and turns out the guy was his son so i am greatful that they both do this for fans