Event Feedback

Christoff

• Moderators

My point is that people could have easily filled an entire weekend at the event without going anywhere near the Doctor Who guests.

It just depends what else you're into. If you don't have an interest in the other stuff then of course it'll seem a bit worse. Yet if you have a wide taste, you might want to meet 10-15 of the non-Who guests.

It comes down to personal taste really, as it does at every single event. There was a very good mixture of US TV sci fi stars, classic UK TV, new shows like Game Of Thrones etc. I think beyond the Who/Potter guests, it was one of the better mixes of guests.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - all you have to do is have the one queue to make it fairer (obviously different for Gold Passes - pretty simple really.

Probably being a bit thick here but I don't understand your idea?

well one queue would be first come first in line, then at entrance there would need to be more crew perhaps but at the entrance pay on the day split to pay and pre paid hand ticket and enter

the issue is you could pre pay, get there early and be 1000 back in line, but someone could pay on the day (which is usually fewer ppl) turn up hours after you and get in sooner cos of the shorter queue.

alot of the time it doesnt have any bad effects and doesnt matter, but sometimes it does, I was in line for CML pre paid and ppl who came an hour or 2 later on pay on the day got in before me.

Cool - that's exactly what I meant - and the extra staff would only be needed for the first hour or so.

My point is that people could have easily filled an entire weekend at the event without going anywhere near the Doctor Who guests.

It just depends what else you're into. If you don't have an interest in the other stuff then of course it'll seem a bit worse. Yet if you have a wide taste, you might want to meet 10-15 of the non-Who guests.

It comes down to personal taste really, as it does at every single event. There was a very good mixture of US TV sci fi stars, classic UK TV, new shows like Game Of Thrones etc. I think beyond the Who/Potter guests, it was one of the better mixes of guests.

Don't want to get into an argument here but I'll leave it with this factoid.....

TV/Movie Guests over the weekend: 50

Dr. Who Guests over the weekend: 16

HP Guests over the weekend: 5

Star Wars Guests over the weekend: 9

Star Trek Guests over the weekend: 4

almost 1/3 of the guests were Dr. Who related ......just saying

(BTW I'm open to correction on those numbers but I think it's fairly accurate)

The SM lady wearing the badges, Talk Area A. I don’t think I’ve seen anybody put so much effort into making everything work in my life. It’s a thankless task running around with that mic, but she was brilliant. Give her a bonus or something!!

Oh thanks again, you're very kind! :wub:

Biggest complait was with the fiasco at the Paul McGann shoot and the girls in front of me at the Evanna queue who just talked to her for ages and no one moved them on.

Day 1 or 2?

was it Saturday morning?

As Paul McGann only signed on Sunday I presume Reddraggon is talking about Sunday.

I thought it was nice that Evanna took the time to talk to all her fans if they wanted to talk to her, she managed to sign for everyone and was quiet for the last hour where people were just asking for photos with her

My feedback is entirely positive, I thought the event was lovely and I liked the quieter, laidback vibe on Sunday which came as a pleasant surprise. Clearly Edward Furlong agreed because I saw him casually buying his breakfast by us, and much later in the day just chilling and checking out the event himself :)

I admit that in terms of actual organised things I only had a David auto, David photo and sat through three talks so no idea how anything ran with any of the other guests (except Frances Barber and some others we met/saw very late in the day) but everything with David went incredibly smoothly. In the autos I was amazed how much time each of us got with him. The photos were very speedy of course but I understand why, but my actual picture is lovely and that's the main thing really :)

I already had a ticket for the paid Doctor Who talk but due to hurting feet from the brutal early morning queuing (not complaining, it just left me very tired and achey :D) I also watched the Star Trek and Classic Who talks before it as well. I didn't know some of the guests in each talk but thoroughly enjoyed them all the same! The guests were interesting, entertaining and often refreshingly honest as well (yes Paul McGann, I mean you). Also adored the new Who talk, despite the lack of Alex as Georgia was hilarious, Frances was very cool and Caitlin is a little legend in the making, her answers to fave Doctor and fave companion were classic!

All in all totally enjoyable and excellently run :)

Tis a shame positive posts just aren't as riveting as complaints :D - I always think I would love to write a good moan...but the day just went too smoothly!

The stand out ones were...Can not recall any names but hopefully you will reccognise yourselves.. Girl in photo shoot area with Dame Diana...always lively and fun...young chap collecting photo A area tickets, calm and a smile for us attendees. Chatty chap with goatee collecting bags at photo area A.
I misread the last one. Replace 'goatee' with 'goat':P

Defo no goats there ...but i did see some foxes..... :D

I attended the event on Saturday and although it was a smaller event i still enjoyed it as much as London Comic Con this year. I was disappointed to find that Temeura Morrison (Once Were Warriors, Star Wars) had cancelled (again) as i have been waiting a few years to meet him and i was looking forward to getting a photo with him.

On the plus side i still had John Hurt, Edward Furlong and one of my sporting heroes Roberto Duran to meet.

Roberto was a real pleasure and i really commend showtime for sticking with the boxing guests (i know they are not as popular as film/television guests).

There was certainly a more relaxed atmosphere to the event and i didnt mind the change in venue at all. The dealers were varied and set out with plenty of space. I arrived at around 10am and was surprised to receive ticket number 453 for John Hurt (it was gonna be a long day). I was very happy that he was doing personal signatures and he seemed genuinely happy to meet his fans. Edward Furlong was polite but seemed bored...probably jet lag!

The photo collection area was much better than at LFCC this year. It was a good idea to have the sign up high so that we could see when our particular shoot was available in order to avoid a bun fight around the tables. A welcome improvement.

My only criticism would be with the guest line up. Of course this is a personal issue but it did seem more like a 'Dr Who' Convention with a scattering of other guests thrown in. Obviously the Dr Who guests are popular and are mostly British (and so easier to arrange), but i would love to see more international guests from the Sci fi and Horror genre. I am surprised that we rarely see any guests from the likes of Lost, True Blood or The Walking Dead for example. Id also love to see some more action stars at these events (after meeting Carl Weathers and Michael Biehn at last year's Collectormania and Chris Lambert at LFCC). How about Van Damme? Segal? Norris? Lungdren? (I wish). Id also love to see more horror related stars and perhaps one or two Directors on the list. Its a shame you did not have John Landis (Director of An American Werewolf in London, Blues Brothers) lined up as i know he is in town signing his new book on Movie Monsters.

All in all i think Showtime do a great job and im very happy to see that you have added another event to the calender in March! Cannot wait to see the line up come together.

Good feedback dannyvegas and I agree with all your points more or less. I was there for the two days but I too felt there was a bit too much emphasis on Doctor Who. Nevertheless I still considered it worth my while to get a flight from Scotland and book a hotel for the Saturday night. I met 14 guests in total so I cannot say there was nothing there for me.

But for the future surely a guy like Dolph Lundgen should be possible? Or how about Brigitte Nielsen?

Highlights for me were:

John Hurt (true gentleman).

Edward Furlong (can't believe I have met the one and only John Connor (except no substitute)).

Douglas Tait (I had not even planned (read: budgeted) to meet him but he was so nice with other guests that I met him as well, great guy).

Clare Higgins (She was really great with the fans. Standing in front of her table etc. Unfortunately her minder was not in control and after I paid two rude French guys jumped the queue in front of me and got her autograph before they had even paid).

Armin Shimerman (Really friendly and talkative)

Evanna Lynch (Good to see how she spent so much time with the younger fans)

Sean Patrick Flanery (Great guy, also very friendly)

I met Roberto Duran as well but I was not too impressed but perhaps I caught him at a bad time and it was partly my own fault. No personalisation for £25 and no posed photographs even though he was not busy. Unfortunately I had not seen the sign and asked him if he would mind having a picture taken with me. He just said something in Spanish and walked away. All a bit embarrassing I have to say, made me feel a bit stupid. One of the Collectormania guys said he was doing a photo shoot soon but no thanks maybe next time. I was also disappointed that the Rocky II picture was not available to be signed although that is not Roberto's fault I guess. Looking back now I am still glad I got his autograph, the guy is a true legend.

Edited by BasG

Positives

* The chap manning the Joe Flanigan photoshoot queue on Sunday. Thank you for being nice, treating us like humans (rather than cattle) and your great sense of humour. Made the wait more bearable! It doesn't take much but you managed it.

I aim to please Freckles, and the great thing about working for SM is that I get to let my natural, exubarant, frustrated actor side out, and interact with all of you lovely, wonderful people! :P

Biggest complait was with the fiasco at the Paul McGann shoot and the girls in front of me at the Evanna queue who just talked to her for ages and no one moved them on.

Reddragon, I'm really sorry about the way things went. I did try to explain what was going on at the time, but I was trying to manage two queues on my own, and Joe Flanigan's shoot before you went a little wrong. Just to compund things, we had 20-30 people in the queue that had Ian McNeice shoots also, and the hold-up caused a clash between the two shoots. All of us in Photo B were trying our very best, but sometimes circumstances force things to go in a different direction to that which was planned. The best laid plans of mice and men...

I just hope that it didn't have an adverse affect on your weekend, and that the rest of the show made up for this small snafu....

Barry

Biggest complait was with the fiasco at the Paul McGann shoot...

Reddragon, I'm really sorry about the way things went. I did try to explain what was going on at the time, but I was trying to manage two queues on my own, and Joe Flanigan's shoot before you went a little wrong. Just to compund things, we had 20-30 people in the queue that had Ian McNeice shoots also, and the hold-up caused a clash between the two shoots. All of us in Photo B were trying our very best, but sometimes circumstances force things to go in a different direction to that which was planned. The best laid plans of mice and men...

I just hope that it didn't have an adverse affect on your weekend, and that the rest of the show made up for this small snafu....

Barry

I'll be honest and didn't think it was a fiasco. Bit of confusion as things were running late but I thought things were explained pretty clearly and organised accordingly. Being a gold I had no problem with the people who had a clashing shoot going through first. Made sense and I hope they all got to where they needs to be.

It was a confusing situation but all got sorted reasonable smoothly I thought. Just my opinion of course.

HAD A GREAT TIME, MET JANE WIEDLIN WHO WAS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, SHE WAS REALLY FRIENDLY AND TALKATIVE, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT GUEST!!!!

I met her too, i was stunned at how beautiful she was. Her photos don't do her justice .... I am now in :lol: completeley and utterley. Jane's my No1

Edited by GoGo372

I was there Sunday, and the only real quibble I had, like many others, was the heat. Goodness knows what some of the guests thought when they saw me sweating. Thank goodness for my dear friend Henry Davies (comic artist) who understood, and he chatted with me for so long I completely forgot the heat. Was still fairly warm, but at least the sweating had ended! Thanks Henry! :blush:

To me, the lighting wasn't too bad. I actually preferred it to the lighting in EC2, my photos are more "normal" looking, lol!

Highlights:

The guests: So many who had no queue were more than happy to chat or have photos done, can't thank them enough.

The guy I got talking to in Evanna's queue around 2:45-3pm-ish. Think his name was Marc, and he wore a "Clockwork Orange" shirt. If you see this, many thanks for taking the photos, they came out great, and hope the one I took for you was alright. :lol:

Spoke to a couple of cosplayers, and told them I loved their costumes. Great work all round there, people!

The Care Bear stall... I LOVE Care Bears, and just wish I'd known or I would've brought extra money.. was in my element looking at those!

And lastly, as mentioned above, my dear friend Henry. He was just soooo lovely, and anyone who approached, he would introduce me to them as "my good friend I haven't seen in months". I ended up blushing quite often as he looked through my drawings and commenting on them! Just as I was about to leave his stand, we both checked the time.. we'd been chatting for a good hour and a half! He asked me to come back and see him again before I left, and when I did, he asked me to Tweet him when I got home, so he'd know I'd got back safely. If you've not met Henry, next time he attends, do go and say hi, he is a true gentleman, and I came away having developed a bit of a crush on him :lol: And yes, I've told him! :gorgeous:

Edited by Tina197

I attended the event on Saturday and although it was a smaller event i still enjoyed it as much as London Comic Con this year. I was disappointed to find that Temeura Morrison (Once Were Warriors, Star Wars) had cancelled (again) as i have been waiting a few years to meet him and i was looking forward to getting a photo with him.

On the plus side i still had John Hurt, Edward Furlong and one of my sporting heroes Roberto Duran to meet.

Roberto was a real pleasure and i really commend showtime for sticking with the boxing guests (i know they are not as popular as film/television guests).

There was certainly a more relaxed atmosphere to the event and i didnt mind the change in venue at all. The dealers were varied and set out with plenty of space. I arrived at around 10am and was surprised to receive ticket number 453 for John Hurt (it was gonna be a long day). I was very happy that he was doing personal signatures and he seemed genuinely happy to meet his fans. Edward Furlong was polite but seemed bored...probably jet lag!

The photo collection area was much better than at LFCC this year. It was a good idea to have the sign up high so that we could see when our particular shoot was available in order to avoid a bun fight around the tables. A welcome improvement.

My only criticism would be with the guest line up. Of course this is a personal issue but it did seem more like a 'Dr Who' Convention with a scattering of other guests thrown in. Obviously the Dr Who guests are popular and are mostly British (and so easier to arrange), but i would love to see more international guests from the Sci fi and Horror genre. I am surprised that we rarely see any guests from the likes of Lost, True Blood or The Walking Dead for example. Id also love to see some more action stars at these events (after meeting Carl Weathers and Michael Biehn at last year's Collectormania and Chris Lambert at LFCC). How about Van Damme? Segal? Norris? Lungdren? (I wish). Id also love to see more horror related stars and perhaps one or two Directors on the list. Its a shame you did not have John Landis (Director of An American Werewolf in London, Blues Brothers) lined up as i know he is in town signing his new book on Movie Monsters.

All in all i think Showtime do a great job and im very happy to see that you have added another event to the calender in March! Cannot wait to see the line up come together.

Good feedback dannyvegas and I agree with all your points more or less. I was there for the two days but I too felt there was a bit too much emphasis on Doctor Who. Nevertheless I still considered it worth my while to get a flight from Scotland and book a hotel for the Saturday night. I met 14 guests in total so I cannot say there was nothing there for me.

But for the future surely a guy like Dolph Lundgen should be possible? Or how about Brigitte Nielsen?

Highlights for me were:

John Hurt (true gentleman).

Edward Furlong (can't believe I have met the one and only John Connor (except no substitute)).

Douglas Tait (I had not even planned (read: budgeted) to meet him but he was so nice with other guests that I met him as well, great guy).

Clare Higgins (She was really great with the fans. Standing in front of her table etc. Unfortunately her minder was not in control and after I paid two rude French guys jumped the queue in front of me and got her autograph before they had even paid).

Armin Shimerman (Really friendly and talkative)

Evanna Lynch (Good to see how she spent so much time with the younger fans)

Sean Patrick Flanery (Great guy, also very friendly)

I met Roberto Duran as well but I was not too impressed but perhaps I caught him at a bad time and it was partly my own fault. No personalisation for £25 and no posed photographs even though he was not busy. Unfortunately I had not seen the sign and asked him if he would mind having a picture taken with me. He just said something in Spanish and walked away. All a bit embarrassing I have to say, made me feel a bit stupid. One of the Collectormania guys said he was doing a photo shoot soon but no thanks maybe next time. I was also disappointed that the Rocky II picture was not available to be signed although that is not Roberto's fault I guess. Looking back now I am still glad I got his autograph, the guy is a true legend.

I guess i met Roberto Duran at the right time, i also gave him a T shirt that i had printed featuring the fight poster for his first fight with Sugar Ray...so after i passed that to him he seemed in a friendly mood and told his son (the guy sitting next to him) who translated that i could take a picture of him holding up the T shirt. Then at the photo shoot he remembered me and gave me a big hug before we took the picture.

Its a shame for me that im not into Dr Who at all because it would have been great but im not.

Looking at some of the conventions in the states i get so jealous because they always have amazing guests from the movies i grew up with. I dont mind paying extra for the big guests...id rather get one or two rare and big names (like Christopher Lloyd and Christopher Lambert) then minor names that have appeared in Harry Potter or Dr Who.

Heres hoping that they can pull off a few surprises next year : )

Eyup all. I'm a noob. After LFCC, this was my second con.

Being one of those folks who doesn't have many con-attending mates, and being from Manchester, I had to drag a friend of mine along for the weekend. Despite him not even knowing who David Tennant is, we both had a great old time. Although he did force me to leave for two hours on Sunday so he could get revenge on me by dragging me around the Home Improvement Show next door. Fascinating stuff.....radiators. Yes.

Anyway, really enjoyed the show this weekend. I thought (as it seems did everyone else) that Eve Myles was an absolute superstar, and I really want to meet her again. Enjoyed the short times I spent with Mr Tennant too, I was expecting less from the experience than I actually got.

Despite being thoroughly hungover on both days my photos miraculously turned out great, although my Tennant one was slightly spoiled by me moving my eyes slightly at the wrong moment. However, a little bit of photoshop action later and it's great again. And I have nice eyes. I'm now going to try the same thing with my Alex Kingston shoot from LFCC where I look like death AND I'm looking about 40 yards to the right of the camera lens.......

Thought the new photo pick up rules were spot on, so well done there.

Basically, the whole event went perfectly for me, I got everything I wanted out of it, and I thought the crew did a great job.

Cheers

Eyup all. I'm a noob. After LFCC, this was my second con.

Being one of those folks who doesn't have many con-attending mates, and being from Manchester, I had to drag a friend of mine along for the weekend. Despite him not even knowing who David Tennant is, we both had a great old time. Although he did force me to leave for two hours on Sunday so he could get revenge on me by dragging me around the Home Improvement Show next door. Fascinating stuff.....radiators. Yes.

Anyway, really enjoyed the show this weekend. I thought (as it seems did everyone else) that Eve Myles was an absolute superstar, and I really want to meet her again. Enjoyed the short times I spent with Mr Tennant too, I was expecting less from the experience than I actually got.

Despite being thoroughly hungover on both days my photos miraculously turned out great, although my Tennant one was slightly spoiled by me moving my eyes slightly at the wrong moment. However, a little bit of photoshop action later and it's great again. And I have nice eyes. I'm now going to try the same thing with my Alex Kingston shoot from LFCC where I look like death AND I'm looking about 40 yards to the right of the camera lens.......

Thought the new photo pick up rules were spot on, so well done there.

Basically, the whole event went perfectly for me, I got everything I wanted out of it, and I thought the crew did a great job.

Cheers

Hello!!! I had to get mine photoshopped too, I don't supose I could see yours please? I had to leave and worried!!!

Awesome weekend thank you SM!! I rarely comment on here although i have been attending shows for 2 years, but i felt the need to comment this time :)

Good Points

* The David Tennat organisation was spot on i couldn't fault it! There were crew lining the path to his VQ's (as i was no 25 this helped us find where we were going). Having the two payment desk was a little confusing but was overall ok. The queue management inside was brilliant - and the photo management was a stroke of genious - we all got nice photos without it being intrusive on David.

As one of those helping run the inside (the nutty bloke with the goatee) your thanks are much appreciated. In turn I would also like to thank all the members of the public. Considering the HUGE number of people who wanted to see DT, and the length of the que, everyone was really nice, even when I had to shuffle you along.

You were all a blast, and the chats helped keep me on my feet. Hope you all had a great time, and see you next time!

Ken (aka Tried)

The stand out ones were...Can not recall any names but hopefully you will reccognise yourselves.. Girl in photo shoot area with Dame Diana...always lively and fun...young chap collecting photo A area tickets, calm and a smile for us attendees. Chatty chap with goatee collecting bags at photo area A.
I misread the last one. Replace 'goatee' with 'goat':D

I resemble that remark!

I went on Saturday with my little boy and my sister and had a "Most Excellent Day" !

Guests

Jane Weidlin - Fantastic, very chatty, great with my little boy, wrote a lovely message on his Scooby Doo picture.

Dan Shor - Also very friendly and chatty.

It was a shame so few people turned up for the Bill and Ted talk, and apologies to anyone if I asked too many questions , but I felt a bit for Jane and Dan and wanted to keep to conversation flowing.

Eve Myles - Fantastic again, very friendly and chatty and great with my little boy at autos and also in the official photoshoot.

Evanna Lynch - Enjoyed her talk and was fine in auto queue.

Roberto Duran - great photo shoot, got the typical boxers pose and made to feel relaxed and welcome, the man is a true boxing and sporting legend.

Lee Bradley - smashing guy, great artist , friendly.

Eddie Paskey - Great guy, had a good chat about his role on Star Trek, standing in for Shatner and his thoughts on being part of the cast.

Jennifer Lien - I felt a bit sorry for Jennifer, she was very quiet. I know others have mentioned that she may be extremely shy, so "hats off" to her for doing an event like this.

Stalls

Good choice of stalls, we love the american sweet and food stalls especially.

Other Areas etc

Artists Alley

My little boy loves the opportunity to draw, so this is always a thumbs up.

Gaming Zone

Another one of my little boys faves, great to have the retro consoles , we had a go on pretty much everything and spent a lot of time here during the day.

Props Disply

Nicely displayed, but had expected a little more.

Photo Pick Up

Great idea with the protective gloves, still a little busy for the big stars, perhaps needs more working on.

MacMillan Charity Photo Shoot

Excellent idea.

Cos Players

Fantastic as always, but didn't seem to be as many there as the LFCC, only disappointment was there weren't more, but a big thanks to all of you that did do it, particularly in such sweltering temperatures.

Overall, we had a fantastic day and will definetly be back. Keep up the good work.

Thought Roberto Duran was great - he obviously enjoyed his photo shoot , as did everyone who was photographed with him . I did not realise he was not personalising when signing , so asked him to put To David - luckily he had already started before I was told no personalisations , so got one after all - great smile , glad he came over to meet us !

I really tried to enjoy my weekend but two things spoilt it for me:

Firstly on Saturday whilst using the Gents some guy (I have other names right now that I wont use here) barged past me which resulted in my iPhone ening up in the toilet! yes my phone no longer works and I am very very angry about it but the guy had dissapeared while I was trying to quickly dry it off hoping it would be ok!

Secondly on Sunday morning I was standing waiting for my brother not actually near any stalls when one of the stall holders poked me in the back quite hard and said "Move away from my stall, you are blocking my shop window" now as I am a large guy I took offence to that as there was plenty of room for others to walk around me, then when I asked him to leave me alone he said "I paid £500 for this stall for you to stand there blocking it", I then said I do not want to carry this on leave me alone! when my brother came back I told him what had happened but was rather rudely interrupted by the man's wife who when I asked her to leave us alone went on to make gestures by putting her arms wide out and bloating out her cheeks like "a fat" person!".

The second incident was reported to showmasters who were shocked and did speak to the stallholder involved who then proceeded to search the whole event looking for me just to deny that his wife had done this, he did in the end apologise and said he would speak to his wife but by then the damage had been done, I was shaking and so damn humiliated and angry.

I do have to thank the showmasters crew involved that I spoke to, they were very understanding but the general public need to be a bit more carefull and the stall holders need to remember WE are the poeple buying their goods! don't treat us like crap!

Apart from these I did meet everyone I wanted to meet and had the Photoshoots I wanted (David Tennant was great) I just miss my phone :lol:

P.S Thanks for your help Showmasters crew! :)

Hi again,

I did write it all down and pass it to the office, as well as speaking to one of the organisers and Mara who then went and spoke to them.

It was awful, I was just horrified for you. Hope it didnt spoil your day

Hello!!! I had to get mine photoshopped too, I don't supose I could see yours please? I had to leave and worried!!!

Hi Alison!

I would be happy to post both the pictures for you to have a gander at, unfortunately I have absolutely no idea how to insert images into a post on here.

If you're on Twitter, follow @djdarrenjones and I'll post the two images, fixed and unfixed.