Event Feedback

Christoff

BUT on the negative side:-

2. The selection (and price!) of available food in the two cafes was ATROCIOUS! Sausage or Bacon rolls in the morning, Steak Pasty or Hot Dog (at over £4!) in the afternoon... ahem vegetarians? ;)

Sadly, the price / selection of food at these events will always be outrageous and is nothing to do with SM. I feel your pain because while I'm not vegetarian, I need to follow a wheat/gluten free diet (as does at least 1% of the population) and am allergic to the four things you've just mentioned!

My advice is always to take your own food. Then you know what it costs and that you'll get something you like. I've tried experimenting with bento to get around the allergy issue but sandwiches are quick, cheap and easy. :)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice is always to take your own food. Then you know what it costs and that you'll get something you like. I've tried experimenting with bento to get around the allergy issue but sandwiches are quick, cheap and easy. :)

I usually do (which is why I think the available selection was such a shock!)... but getting up at 5:00, to leave at 06:30, to get there for 9am... kinda stopped that this time.

I don't really have any complaints, I rather enjoyed this event.

The queueing didn't really bother me enough to complain about. Everyone moved quite orderly from the side of the building to the taped bit in front of the building (Well the people in my part of the queue did), no biggie.

Both guests I met were fantastic, Edward Furlong and John Hurt. Got personalisations, a little chat and over the table photo's from both and shook their hands at the end, a great experience.

Struck up conversation with a lot of frienly strangers since I was there on my own this time.

Nipped out for an hour to Hyde Park and ate my lunch I bought from Marks and Sparks there.

Came back and discovered that despite the temperature inside the event being very hot it was actually cooler in the building then it was outside lol.

The photoshoot collection was done well, no complaints on those improvements.

All in all an enjoyable day.

I really enjoyed the event -meeting Dame Diana was the highlight.

As a long time Bond and recent Avengers fan I was really looking forward to meeting her and I was not disappointed! She was really friendly and took time to talk with the fans. I know that this may not be ideal for getting through large numbers, but it means all the more to visitors like myself.

I'd particularly like to thank the SM staff member sat with Dame Diana -I had a large number of items for signing and was v flustered and she was v patient and ensured that the items were signed as I wanted (even mentioning before I could specify that my litho needed to be signed in pencil!) It's this added consideration that makes me recall my meeting Dame Diana all the more fondly -thank you!!!

Also, Malcolm the photographer - I've always found him to be great at putting people at ease in the photo sessions and I was really pleased with the resultant photo with Dame Diana. I now have 2 great photos of me with the stars of OHMSS (the other with the George Lazenby from 2006) both taken by Malcolm which have pride of place in my home - Thanks Malcolm!

Overall I found that the day had a really good vibe and I hope everyone has as good a day today as I had yesterday ;)

I just wanted to say that me and my mum had a great day Yesterday! The crew were lovely, friendly and helpful! (Special thanks to Mara, who helped us out with Joe Flanigan's photo op and autograph :) )

And meeting Joe Flanigan was sooo amazing! So thanks for inviting him! And the free talk was a bonus, sat right at the front!!! :D

The venue was a good size and we could find our way around, only got lost once and that was because we came back in a different way and we got confused lol

Overall, we had a fantastic day!

P.s, loved that there were trailers playing on the TV to watch while you waited for your photo! And that there were games to play :)

A shout has to go out to Jason for quickly jumping on the mishandling of the queues by the security people and those misplaced, and for taking in and implementing some of the suggestions and comments from LFACC11.

I only had two issues

1, The heat, not SM's fault, maybe some fans for the fans near the entrance to the photo shoot, so that we are not so glowy when we "Hug" the guest.

2, My inability to approach and chat up a Amy Pond Cosplayer.

I really enjoyed EMS yesterday.....

Highlight for me was Clare Higgins! that woman is amazing! on 3 occasions I spent a good 20mins chatting with her, she got there late but spent the whole time on the customer side of the table stood up signing and takin photos etc, she was brilliant!!! and on my first occasion with her I got a hug, second time I got a kiss! :)

Also Doug Tait was great, I've talked to him for a while online so was great to finally meet him.

Monica Keena was really sweet too :)

now my negatives........

the heat was unbearable at times!

£2.10 for a bottle of coke?!?! seriously!?!?!

and I had my Clare Higgins photo op at 2pm, then was told by staff to come back at 2.25 for the Monica Keena shoot, me and my friend arrived back at the shoot area at 2.29 to find the shoot finished! and told they had seen everyone, I argued that it shouldn't have started till 2.25 so was told they would try and sort it, luckily I am aqquintated with Sean Clark (Monica's agent) and he arrived to see how the shoot was goin and was as shocked as me to find it was over already, so he went and brought her back immediatley which was much appreciated..... the SM staff were good about it but I don't understand why the shoot was done early like that when people aren' ecpected to be there till 2.25

other than that great show guys.....

also enjoyed chatting to a few of the SM staff.....didn't get names but if you're reading this it was .....

The lady sat with Monica Keena

The girl sat with Ton Cecere and

The girl taking the credit card payments for autograph vouchers

Saturday was quite nice. Not too busy. Stalls nicely spaced apart.

Big problem was not being allowed to use the stairs to leave the building and having to queue to use the lift. So we had to queue up for about 10 mins to get out. Can't see why the stairs could not be used as Showmasters staff where using them.

The only thing we had a problem with is that it was to hot and there wasnt may chairs about to sit down on otherwise it was a great day

There are never enough chairs to sit down on at these events. That's my one regular gripe. Luckily I hired a wheelchair for yesterday, because I cannot stay on my feet that long, and last time I was at a London con with no proper seating, someone dislocated my wrist helping me up off a bean bag. (And I'm definitely going to try to get someone to push my chair again next time, as things were made far easier and less painful for me than when trying to stay on my feet with my walking stick.)

As for the heat, it was much cooler in the building than out of it, which made a pleasant change, especially since I was in velvet all day long!

A few of my random thoughts from the weekend and opinions on other forum comments.

DISCLAIMER: Views expressed in this commentary do not reflect any thoughts or policies of

Showmasters Ltd, and are wholly the views of the contributing writer.

I though it was a pretty good show. Not as good as LF&CC but there has to be one BIG event for the year and LF&CC is it.

GUESTS

Evanna Lynch - bit jet lagged on Saturday so very slow but didn't expect her to be so beautiful in person. Popular guest and think she will continue to be in the future.

Debbie Lee Carrington and Tony Cecere both really chatty and interesting guests. Wonder how many people make a living from getting set on fire like Tony has. Why wasn't this option suggested when I had my careers interview at school?

VENUE

I wasn't there at the time but I believe there was a screw-up with the queues on Saturday. Sounds like it was all sorted out and believe me, as a veteran of these events, there have been bigger ones.

The hall was a bit tatty and the lift/stairs confusing but it is a lot older than Earls Court 2. Carpeting like you get at other events like wedding shows, gift fairs etc. would be too expensive and would put prices up quite a bit. Personally I'd rather have a tatty venue and keep prices down.

It doesn't matter how many times people complain about it; GIVE UP! SHOWMASTERS ARE NEVER GOING TO SUPPLY SEATING!!! Why? Again, cost. Chairs dont grow on trees...well...wooden ones do but they still have to be hired. 'You get me?'

Same with the food. IT'S NOT SHOWMASTERS RESPONSIBILITY TO FEED YOU PEOPLE. As for the prices... 1. It's LONDON baby! 2. Why is it people are happy to pay £45 for an autograph at an event but then complain about paying £1 extra for a sandwich or drink?

THE INEVITABLE 'WHO WAS THAT FIT COSPLAYER/GIRL/BOY THREAD'

Hasn't started yet but heres mine. Lady on one of the t-shirt stalls. Hotttttt!

GOLD PASS

Asked for NEW DOCTOR WHO autograph pack so I could flog them on ebay but it's padded out with UK TV autographs. Don't know who most of them are so if anyone had the same pack could you give a few suggestions.

Finally found the gold pass chillout room at about 10.30 on Sunday after being misdirected to it twice on Saturday and spending ages wandering around. Can't say it was really worth the wait but least it had chairs in. One point of order though - does something count as a 'room' if there is no roof on it?

Lanyard - seriously £175 for a gold pass and 2p of it spent on a lanyard that broke as soon as I touched it. Had to buy my own lanyard to replace it so I walked wound with a cookie monster one all weekend.

COSPLAY

Award for Sexiest cosplayer of the weekend - girl who was 'Invisible Girl' Sue Storm on Saturday and Jubilee on Sunday. Don't know who you are but both costumes looked great.

Special mention for the Princess Leia slave girl. Always takes a lot of bottle even if you do have a good body. Also, the skimpiness of the costume meant she was probably the only person in the venue not sweating their ass off.

Never seen so many 'Doctors' in one place (and I work in a hospital). Even female Doctors - think this should be discouraged as it may cut down the number of sexy anime cosplayers and Lara Croft's ;-) Joking.

Something strange occured to me during the weekend due to the number of Amy Pond cosplayers. In my opinion Karen Gillian is one of the most beautiful actresses in Britain if not The World. So you would think that trying to look like her would be difficult for mere mortals. However, it seems that as soon as someone puts on a ginger wig and a checked shirt they look just like her. I saw so many great 'Amy Ponds' over the weekend. This has led me to the conclusion that ginger hair may be the devils work or witchcraft of some kind.

FINAL THOUGHT

It seems that, with the influence of David Tennant at the event, the evolution of conventions and convention goers is complete. When I started going to conventions 10+ years ago it was still very much the image that the popular press still tries to paint now. That it - predominantly male, white, middle-aged, boring, single, hygienically challenged, saddos. Buffy, Angel, Heroes, Lost, Anime, Harry Potter and Twilight have all had a role to play in the evolution but I think 'The Doctor' has finished off the job. Looking round this weekend the 'average' congoer is now more female, younger, more beautiful and more fragrant (even in that heat) than ever. About time!

Edited by gobo1979uk

Gobo - on the chairs, I think you forget that not everyone with a disability has a wheelchair. I saw a lot of people struggling yesterday, and if I hadn't had someone to push me I would have been too. I'd be willing to pay a little more to get in if it meant there'd be somewhere to sit!

I didn't say I wouldn't pay a bit more for seating. In fact, technically I did pay more for seating with the gold pass chillout room but didn't get chance to use it. I did say i wouldnt want to pay more for fancy carpet etc. The point is that people complain about this every con. If something wwas going to be done about it it would have happened by now.

Gobo - on the chairs, I think you forget that not everyone with a disability has a wheelchair. I saw a lot of people struggling yesterday, and if I hadn't had someone to push me I would have been too. I'd be willing to pay a little more to get in if it meant there'd be somewhere to sit!

Another problem was Armin Shimerman's queue. Some friends of mine arrived a couple of hours before me and went over to Armin's table to get some VTs but were told he was an open queue. By the time we got there later on he was now on a VT system (using Alex Kingston VTs).

I know this was because he was signing slowly and spending time chatting, but main cast Star Trek guests are usually popular so it'd be good if Showmasters assumed they'd need VTs and hand them out from the start. If they turn out to be less busy then the queue can always be opened to everyone.

In the case of my friends who got there early, they were at more of a disadvantage than people who got there later than them as they only found out they needed a VT hours after they had started being given out.

I have to agree with Trialia on the chairs thing, Im also disabled and it kills me being stood up and walking constantly, even an area with a few seats clearly marked as fdor disabled would be a godsend, I would last so much longer if I had that. For LFCC I arranged prior the event for pretty much queue jumping but I found myself doing more running around with the special passes than just taking extra Painkillers and doing it! lol I even noticed one of the staff area doors being held open by a stack of chairs yesterday so it is possible!

Anyway moving on I also found this venue a bit akward and odd compared to the venue for LFCC, it just seemed oddly laid out and hard work to get around and going up and down in the lift was just wierd! (although we did share a lift with an alien and my kids thought that was fab!)

Although we had a great time, we have pretty much decided we will just stick to LFCC as a regular thing from now on and just hope they dont change the venue on us!

Edited by Jassie

Actually they have - LF&CC is at Olympia 2012 due to olympics and that venue has escalators. Remember seeing people in w/c at the last event there so must be lifts available.

I have to agree with Trialia on the chairs thing, Im also disabled and it kills me being stood up and walking constantly, even an area with a few seats clearly marked as fdor disabled would be a godsend, I would last so much longer if I had that. For LFCC I arranged prior the event for pretty much queue jumping but I found myself doing more running around with the special passes than just taking extra Painkillers and doing it! lol I even noticed one of the staff area doors being held open by a stack of chairs yesterday so it is possible!

Anyway moving on I also found this venue a bit akward and odd compared to the venue for LFCC, it just seemed oddly laid out and hard work to get around and going up and down in the lift was just wierd! (although we did share a lift with an alien and my kids thought that was fab!)

Although we had a great time, we have pretty much decided we will just stick to LFCC as a regular thing from now on and just hope they dont change the venue on us!

Positives

* Nice large venue with a surprising amount of space. It never seemed to get too crowded, unlike some past LFCCs

* Well laid out on the whole and easy to navigate round

* The lovely lady on the credit card machine for autos in the morning and then photos in the afternoon on Saturday (you're a star!)

* The chap manning the Joe Flanigan photoshoot queue on Sunday. Thank you for being nice, treating us like humans (rather than cattle) and your great sense of humour. Made the wait more bearable! It doesn't take much but you managed it.

* The equally lovely lady who seemed to be in charge of Talk Area A on Saturday (multi-coloured hair). She was awesome, chatty, helpful, so friendly and everything was, generally, very orderly. Shame she wasn't she there on Sunday.

* The experiment (?) with not issuing talk tickets. Seemed to work well for the free talks.

* The guests themselves! Friendly, chatty and so welcoming even when busy. Everyone I saw had at least a little time for you.

* The efficient clearing out of the halls on Saturday after each talk(much appreciated!)

* The very clear and helpful signage (for the most part)

* Too Tall!

* The generally very friendly and very chatty other attendees. Thank you all!

* The lack of a queue when I got there on Sunday at 10 am in to get in :)

Less then positives

* Oh my gosh, so hot on Saturday and then Sunday afternoon! Saturday was way worse though.

* The shambles that was Eve Myles' talk 'queue' on Saturday (much more organised on Sunday)

* The fact that there was no sign stating no personalisations for Arthur Darvill Saturday afternoon. Would have saved him the embarrassment of having to apologise to me himself when I asked for one for a friend (no need to apologise for that anyway!)

* A certain assistant to one of the guests who could have done with being a little more friendly (won't say whose but it was a shame as all the others were so nice - there is a certain way to talk to us and addresss us and s/he somewhat spectacularly failed)

* The lighting especially in the hall for the talks. Why can't portable lighting be brought in? It was appalling!

* All the issues with the sound in the talks. Could hardly hear the chap at the beginning of Eve's talk (was quite far back) when giving out the photography rules. Was pretty sure he said no photos after the first few minutes (no mention as to if non-flash was still allowed or not as is the usual case and usually stated). Put my camera away just in case though after a little while.

* All the people I saw filming. To be fair, an announcement wasn't always given but most of them should have known better and no one was checking. It would be a shame if guests stopped doing talks or stopped being so open in them if such footage ever gets leaked out. One attendee in front of me was actually filming with a small, hand-held video camera!

* The fact that hardly anyone was taking control of Talk Zone A on Sunday leaving us pretty much in the dark as to when we could go in etc. and the fact that the halls were not cleared after each talk as they had been on Saturday and as they usually are most of the time. This meant that despite me being one of the first in the queue for Joe Flanigan's talk (and queuing up for an hour for it to get a good seat) and first in the hall after the preceding talk, this saw me only being able to get in Row 5 (Gold were only the first two rows). A few of us were 'good' and left the hall after Joe Flanigan's talk to join the end of the enormous queue for Eve's talk but many, many others didn't and just stuck around and/or moved up rows. This also meant getting out of the hall took quite a while due to all kinds of congestion. Was most disappointed no one was around to organise this as had been done the day before and most of the time at other events.

Had a lovely two days all in all. Shame the organisation of the talk hall on Sunday let things down a little. Arthur was busy, a little shy, maybe, but very sweet. And a darling for allowing a photo (not a posed one). And Eve Myles, the Star Wars guests and Joe Flanigan were by far the highlights for me of a wonderful weekend. Thank you!

Edited by thefreckles

Saturday Good and Bad points

Bad points:

The silliness with the queues befor opening, already explained I know and handled quite quickly but every time this kind of thing happens at an event (All too often) there are inevitably those who feel justified in leap frogging to promote their position. If we have to be moved its not beyond the ken of man to do so in an organised manner that doesn't result in bad feelings. As someone who arrived just before gates opened at 7 and was in the first 20-30 to find themselves 50-70ish after the reorganisation it is frustrating and casts a pall.

The heat - totally unacceptable and a poor reflection on the venue, as was the entry/exit by lift only depending on the time of day. Too many people crammed into a lift, allbeit for only a short time and the refusal of venue staff to allow my wife and I to use the stairs as we could gain entrance to another event. My wife suffers from claustrophobia but this cut no ice, we were told it was only a short journey. Oh, that's allright then, only a short time in hell for my wife in case we felt the overwhelming desire to crash an event with no interest to us.

Crew making decisions on the fly - classic example when questioned about the Diana Rigg Photoshoot. My wife showed her ticket number, nice and low, and asked how it was being organised, never having done photo shoot before. We were told things were running a little behind and therefore the shotoshoot wouldn't start until 15/20 mins late, Asked to return at 1330 so there wasn't too much of a crowd and we would be called forward in groups, my wife being in the first. Arrived back at 1320 to find a single queue for everybody with yellow tickets (Presumably everybody) and no priority on numbers so just told to join the end of the long queue.

As Diana Rigg was our "Biggie" for the day, on entry we made straight to the Big Guest area only to find it wasn't being used and on going to the general signing area having a high VT, how much organisation would have taken for a crew member to have announced this to the queue before entry

Good Points:

Everyone we met seemed to be happy to be there and no matter how long the queues to find the time to swap a few friendly words, made for a very pleasant experience

Great selection of 10x8s for the guests, shows just the very tip of the iceberg of the thought and prep that obviously went into the day and reflects very highly on the organisers.

Good interesting selection of guests, again a credit to the organisers

Good selection of dealers

Although the bad points took more words (I tried to be constructive) the good points more than made for an excelent overall experience, its just a pity the bad points had to be there as some could have been easily addressed.

Overall, it was a really good day yesterday with very few complaints from me.

The main thing was the main talk area - it was all a bit odd. The queues weren't always the most organised (especially for Eve Myles - I was quite late getting there having waited for Arthur Darvill to get back from his photoshoot and I ended up at in the middle of a scrum). Then there were the talks themselves - the only one of the three that I went to where the guest was actually annouced was Eve Myles. In the Star Trek and Doctor Who talks, the guests merely walked on stage and even they didn't really seem to know what was going on.

There were no announcements in any of those three talks about the rules on photography - I know most of us know the rules, but a lot of people won't have been to these events before and therefore won't know about turning the flash off after the first few minutes, not recording etc.

It all just seemed a bit weird - all the other events I've been too have had annoucements for the guests going on stage, photography rules etc. before the talk starts and everybody seems to know what they're doing.

That said, I had a fab day and was pleased to see that there were very guests who weren't allowing photography at the desks, I wasn't expected to get photos of Arthur and Eve when they were signing so that was a bonus. ;)

thought it was a fantastic event.

bit tired to write detailed thoughts at the mo but

guests were all great,

the photo shoots and pick ups were all much more organised than ever before, especially the shoots on sunday in both studios.

crew were all great as usual.

Ive seen complaints on here about entry, from what ive heard this was a spam up from the earls court gate staff again and jason was on it pretty shapish, again this was out of showmasters control so unfair to blame them but certainly blame earls court!

the heat, yep, I was baking, was really bad but again this was the venue mixed with the actual weather!

my only gripes would be the in costume shoots! paul didnt have his costume and ian was just the specs and cigar, which is nice but he does this all the time so Im glad I didnt go for it as Ive already got a photo shoot like this.

also the talk areas, was hard to hear, again this is partly down to the venue, an enclosed area would of been better, not sure of the cost to do a roof or the walls upto the hall ceiling?

also anyone complaining about David tenants auto time, he was open queue at 17.30, so anyone could of got him! with big guests like that, you really should plan to be at the event till the end to be safe esp if you are arriving late!

overall, fantastic event, well run, great guests.

I had a good experience as always. I could only make a flying visit (well, a crawling visit, due to being on crutches this time) and was treated very well by all crew, especially those who kindly put me near the front of the queue for David Tennant's shoot (OK, I was on #77 when the #500+ tickets were being called, but still, I appreciate it). Thanks to wiccawise for smoothly intercepting my crutches during that photoshoot and the nice man at the organizers' booth (whose name I still haven't caught after all this time) who provided me with a chair on which to sit while I filled in my photo form - most kind!

I actually liked the lift - it was air-conditioned! A nice contrast to the rest of the venue, which was blinkin' hot (despite a pre-photoshoot powdering, I'm pretty sure I was gleaming by the time I got in the second one), but a) that's nothing to do with SM and b ) I understand it was better than Saturday, so am relieved about that. :D

If I have one wish, it's that I could have stayed longer, as I'd love to have tried for some autographs, but was pushing things with my brief stay as it was. Never mind - I'm sure I'll be fighting fit next time.

I only went to meet the footballers, had a bit of a wander round. They were great. I have no idea who most the other guests were as they are not to my interest, but I have now Googled Evanna Lynch and have an idea who she is. Made me a bit hot under the collar! haha. What a beauty!

This is my moan and it really has spoilt my weekend, why I accept the reason showmasters did it, I think it could of been handled differently.

My David Tennant shoot came back nice and quick with my sons, Mine had writing on the top right of the photo, to go to photo shoot area A, which I did, apparently my eyes were closed, they said they were seeing if I could get a reshoot with dt, yeah ok,did u see how busy he was? Or I could have another photo on my own and they would PhotoShop my eyes in, I said I could take the original, the man in red didn't want to give it to me and kind of insisted on the reshoot, so I get it done and now after waiting and waiting, I am home with no photo, I had it for all of five mins.

Like I said, I know why they did it but I think probably some kind of sticker in the top might be better, that could be peeled off if the customer is happy to take it, it isn't a time issue as the crew now give out the pictures.

This has left a very bitter taste on a weekend that I wasn't totally up for, David was the only real draw for me, and now I have to (like lots others I know) wait up to three weeks for! Even then there is no guarantee it will look any good.

Disappointed is not the word

This is my moan and it really has spoilt my weekend, why I accept the reason showmasters did it, I think it could of been handled differently.

My David Tennant shoot came back nice and quick with my sons, Mine had writing on the top right of the photo, to go to photo shoot area A, which I did, apparently my eyes were closed, they said they were seeing if I could get a reshoot with dt, yeah ok,did u see how busy he was? Or I could have another photo on my own and they would PhotoShop my eyes in, I said I could take the original, the man in red didn't want to give it to me and kind of insisted on the reshoot, so I get it done and now after waiting and waiting, I am home with no photo, I had it for all of five mins.

Like I said, I know why they did it but I think probably some kind of sticker in the top might be better, that could be peeled off if the customer is happy to take it, it isn't a time issue as the crew now give out the pictures.

This has left a very bitter taste on a weekend that I wasn't totally up for, David was the only real draw for me, and now I have to (like lots others I know) wait up to three weeks for! Even then there is no guarantee it will look any good.

Disappointed is not the word

oh no, thats a shame :-(

Id deff email showmasters on this one, so did you get a reshoot with DT? if so ask for both as way of apology? I saw the written ptints, thought weird, why no postit?

were you not able to wait for the reshoot to be printed?

deff email them explaining the situation id say