Lifts, escalators, stairs

SpaceAce

good event, good line up today, thanks SM,

However, entry/exit to the event floor was a joke, stairs were closed, the only way down was waiting in line for a lift, the escalator seemed to change direction several times during the day, sometimes going up, sometimes down, this left us stranded downstairs for some time, as the only working lift was taking ages to reach the ground floor, and running up a downward escalator isnt the best option, EC staff had blocked the stairs, not letting us down,

if this space is used again then this needs to be revised, SM needs to talk to Earls court about better access to any future shows,

ty :lol:

I used stairs to get out, two different sets of stairs I think too.

The elevator was out of order when I went over to it though.

Earls Court said that the reason why we couldn't use the stairs was because it led to the ground floor where another event was being held.

Yes, that's what I was also told. And I do understand this as a reason, but I think it would be better if they could have screened off a walkway downstairs with those exhibition partitions they use, so EMS patrons could just enter the building and access the stairs without being able to go in to the home show, and also this would stop home show patrons from coming upstairs too, seems like common sense to me and would stack up far better from a Health and Safety law perspective too. All that was needed was a simple rat run to send us round the edge of the homeshow, and not through it. I'm sure everyone would have appreciated that far better as it would have given clear access in and out without crossing into other exhibitors event space.

as a crew memeber working on the front door/front of house area yesterday, alot of people were using the stairs to come down and exit the show, these stairs were on the opposite side to the working lift. it is a shame whomever designed the building back in the day only put the one escalator in (and makes no sense to me!!!) but we didn't hear of any problems at the time and I didn't personally see a big Q for the lift (but I wasn't in that area at the end of the day).

surfy sah xx

as a crew memeber working on the front door/front of house area yesterday, alot of people were using the stairs to come down and exit the show, these stairs were on the opposite side to the working lift. it is a shame whomever designed the building back in the day only put the one escalator in (and makes no sense to me!!!) but we didn't hear of any problems at the time and I didn't personally see a big Q for the lift (but I wasn't in that area at the end of the day).

surfy sah xx

I was also at the front door yesterday (Sunday) and would just like to back this up - alot of people were using the stairs and the escalator was going up for most of the day - however EC staff decided to change the direction mid afternoon - without telling anybody!! This caused a bottleneck for the lift so we asked to change it back which they quickly did. In general there was very little queueing up the stairs / lifts yesterday.

love and stuff Darren x

Earls Court said that the reason why we couldn't use the stairs was because it led to the ground floor where another event was being held.

saw the queue for the lift so walked down and ended up in a no-man's land!!

When I was trying to find the way out there was another guy asking, who was on the wrong floor complelely and supposed to be at one of the other shows!

I don't know if he joined the wrong queue and paid with us, or just found his way in by accident without paying.

And as someone who was working on the ground floor on Saturday, I can say that I do sympathise with how bloody annoying the system was as I had to go up to the main level no less than six times.

But when I asked the EC staff, they said they'd been told that stairs were a no go (on the Saturday) by their boss due to the Home Improvement show.

We also had the escalator problem and were highly bemused when they decided to change the direction when there were more people going out than going in.

But we don't run the venue lol We just make the best out of the chaos it gives us.

When I was trying to find the way out there was another guy asking, who was on the wrong floor complelely and supposed to be at one of the other shows!

I don't know if he joined the wrong queue and paid with us, or just found his way in by accident without paying.

if it was yesterday (Sunday) then he wouldn't have got past me without paying!! - saying that we had alot of people who were clearly in the wrong show but we picked them out pretty quick - the ones for the wedding fair were the best!!

When I arrived there weren't many people arriving, and I wasn't sure where I had to go and had to ask to be told to go up the escalator. Then I couldn't work out how to leave...

I was told one set of stairs led to people leaving via the fire exit, which meant they bypassed crew members that may have needed to stamp them if they wanted to re-enter.

That's how I ended up leaving on Sunday - took me forever to find a way out, and it took me out a random side exit - very odd! I'm just glad I was going home rather than wanting to go back in.

I took the stairs, just as Timelady15 says, there was someone down the stairs to show the way. Quite simple. All though we weren't for sure we were able to take the stairs as it was super quiet.

I was told one set of stairs led to people leaving via the fire exit, which meant they bypassed crew members that may have needed to stamp them if they wanted to re-enter.

this is correct.

However, it could of been managed, there is also a door that leads to the west brom foyer at the bottom of the stairs, I did try to bring this up with EC prior but it didnt go anywhere, I guess all parties didnt want to have the staff, security or signs in place to make it work using the fire exit stairs.

also the other show would of had to have additional security on to stop ppl entering their show and stopping their guests from entering EMS show!

the reason the lifts (when working) may of been slow was because they were also servicing a conference on the 3rd level above the EMS show floor.

i took the stairs.. there was a Showmasters crew member at the bottom to tell us how to get out so it was all pretty simple really :)

so this would seem they decided to use it and organize it? perhaps all was ok, but not at the start on sat? I dont know, i wasnt effected by it all

most likely from the conference n the 3rd level using the same entrance and lifts

Friends and I experienced this, and ended up going down stairs that I don't think we should have, there was a security officer ( lady ) who was actually polite ( unlike the guy who was outside on Sunday morning ) and she showed us the way out, and also agreed that there could have been better signposting, Indicating which stairs/lifts could be used.

But as said, this was only a trivial issue, that was more the fault of E.C staff not signposting the place correctly.

Yeah I ended up the other side of the barrier to be stamped but fortunately a lovely bloke on the door let me have my hand stamped even though it looked like I had just arrived :D

I thought the access in and out was a joke and in the event of an emergency could have been very dangerous...even the earls court staff were confused and not happy about it, but all but one of their staff that i came across where very helpfull...not impressed at all though...Surely having doors to stairwell padlocked/chained shut breached health & safety..especially with the number of attendies there. Aside from this the weekend and the SM crew wereas awesome as ever.

Edited by Blu04