Meeting people

Orangepeel

I find hotel cons much easier to make friends at because your locked in a building together for a whole weekend!!!

Agree. There's a totally different vibe to the weekend cons as they're so much more intimate, and while I've struck up some great conversations and got to know people at events, the cons are where I've made my closest SM/ME-related friends.

And of course if you're at the parties and feel that way inclined, you have this marvellous social lubricant called alcohol... :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The queues are always good for having a chat, whether it be a brief chat or something more in depth. Talks can also be good for that as well with whoever you end up sitting next too in the rows.

If you have Facebook or Twitter, it might be worth checking out the thread from LFCC and/or Collectormania where we all popped our addresses or user names down and add a few? That way you can get to know some of our faces and us yours, we might then spot you and say hello :D

I used to be really shy, still am sometimes, but these events have really helped me with talking to other people. You're welcome to come and say hi to me if you see me and my gf. There are some pics of me on this site ftom previous cons if you or anyone else wants to come and say hi (so you know what I look like): http://marks-redcarpet.freehomepage.com/

Just mention you're off the forum and we'll both be happy to talk to anyone!

Edited by Charmer

Me and my wife are together today because we happened to start a discussion on how much we both hated Riley in Buffy......we're nice, friendly people, or so we've been told......feel free to say hello to us!

This is me https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=769684441

As is this http://banakafalata.tumblr.com

Just mention you're from SM forums if you do say hello on Facebook.....I'm not used to friend requests you see, so I will automatically assume it's some kind of phishing scam :thumbup:

It can happen, I met my wife in an autograph queue at a Collectormania :YAHOO:

show off!!

damn you and your silky moves lol

im very shy, especially around women, its a shameful fault of mine. at cons I tend to keep to myself unless approached. which is one of the many reasons im still single I guess :-(

I know someone mentioned a speed dating section after LFCC lol

I'm not mentioning any name whatsovever but somewhere else an event similar in size/scope to a Collectormania done Speed Dating for attendees.

It had several sessions, basically just a big room with 2 sets of chairs facing each other and a few genres for the speed dating like Horror, Anime, Sci Fi.

It can happen, I met my wife in an autograph queue at a Collectormania :thumbup:

So If I stand in Queue all day I might meet someone :D

Not sure that SPEED dating is something "Fans" could do. I mean once the question "What are your interests?" is asked, would there be enough time in the day to answer.

I wish my boyfriend would geek up lol he's too cool for me ha

Once you have Geek you never go back ;)

Edited by scifisteve

I'm not mentioning any name whatsovever but somewhere else an event similar in size/scope to a Collectormania done Speed Dating for attendees.

It had several sessions, basically just a big room with 2 sets of chairs facing each other and a few genres for the speed dating like Horror, Anime, Sci Fi.

Speed Dating could be quite fun, you could mix in some of the guests :D

Speed Dating could be quite fun, you could mix in some of the guests :jason:

Involve Evanna Lynch or Georgia Moffett and I'd be game :D:D

So many people talk on here, Facebook and Twitter etc and then meet up. It's a lot less awkward than randomly trying to make conversation.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work for me sadly :D

Why not? Join the groups or threads, make yourself known, talk about your interests, have fun and build rapport and familiarity and most importantly post regularly so people can refer back to you when you meet them. Its probably the same way everyone does it on forums in the build up to an event. If they've seen you post then that have a reference and familiarity and so you're less of a stranger.

If you cant do that online with random people how do you expect to do it in the real world?

Edited by nicky

If you've got two people who are too shy to say anything to each other and neither is willing to start the conversation, nothing's going to happen (and sometimes I am that shy person, so I know where you're coming from), but as has already been said: a lot of people are there for exactly the same reason you are, particularly if they're in a queue with you for a particular guest. Anyway, some potential conversation starters:

Say something about the guest for whom you are queueing to the person behind you - it's easier to turn around and face the person behind you than to tap the shoulder of the person in front until you have more practice. Even if it's just to say something random like how busy the guest is today. Then you can ask stuff like: what got the attendee into that guest? Have they met them before or is this the first time?

Ask the person next to you (in a queue or otherwise), what brought them here/how they heard about this event/whether they on the forum.

If you spot someone you recognize from photo threads and they don't look like they're rushing for anything, go up to them and say, "Hi, don't I know you from the Showmasters forum?" (And if they're not on it, you've still got the chance of saying they should be/add shameless plug for SM, etc., heh)

Compliment people on their outfits/hair/tattoos/costume/bag etc. and ask them something about that.

If someone's at a dealer stall looking over something related to a show or film you like, look over and say something to that effect and if the person looks receptive, ask them something along the lines of what they like best about that show/film and go from there.

Remember that open questions (what/where/why/how/who) are going to get larger responses than ones which will result in just Yes or No, so use those to get someone into conversation.

Smile!

It's not going to work every time, as some people will be too shy to respond and some may not be there to talk to other people, but plenty of them will, so be brave and try it out. I've done variations on most of these and had them done to me too, so I'm not the only one who finds they work (and sometimes have become so engrossed in conversations with people behind me in queues that SM/ME staff have had to gently move me along as a gap has formed ahead of me)! Good luck, whatever you try to do. And if you recognize me from photo threads, feel free to practise on me. :D

This advice is good.

I'll add that before you talk to anyone say, "Hey" first to get their attention then say whatever it is you want otherwise it comes out of nowhere. Don't tap anyone on the shoulder (esp women with handbags), gently touch the forarm instead with 2/3 fingers. SMILE, this shows you mean no harm and are friendly - express the emotion you want others to feel. You are perfectly entitled to talk to anyone in your proximity cos you are sharing the same space. Don't get in their face though and depending upon how receptive they are, don't face them directly straight-away. Make strong eye-contact.

Don't ask too many questions, questions, questions - its not an interview. Make assumptions and statements. Listen to people's answers and use the buzz words they give you to keep the convo going...like the word association game. A good pattern is: you ask a question, they answer, you make statement about that answer, then ask aquestion about it ie. question, statement, question, statement. Good convo starters are things like:

Hey. Can I just ask, what have you got signed there? It looks interesting...(smile)

Hey. Do you post on xxxx? Its just that I think I recognise you from there...(smile)

Hey. That oufit is awesome. I like how its so detailed. I bet it took ages to make...(smile)

Hey. Those pants look skin tight, how did you get into them? Oh cool, now tell me, how do I get into them? (smirk)

In a queue you can just about ask anything about the guest, what they're getting signed, who is is worth meeting. Dont be afraid to talk to someone in the queue, its perfectly socially acceptable as you're sharing the same space and there for the same thing. Dont act weird or nervous, why shuold you be? You're just talking to another human being who is no better than you. If you act nervous you communicate that you dont think you're good enough to talk to that person and then they will be inclined to agree with you.

Of course if you find you do want to make friends for more than the duration of the con and not just have boring idle chat about the weather etc you will want to take the convo to a more personal level and build rapport. To transition out of the boring chit-chat you can just ask "So have you travelled far?" . Dont hang about them too long though like a leech unless you're getting on great. After a while just tell em you'll see them around. Then if you spot them later you can re-engage if you feel they were friendly enough. People are always nicer if you have familiarity.