Meeting people

Orangepeel

So I seem to have zero luck with this, I am not great in general in real life at making friends so I am not overly shocked. But given people at these events have slightly more in common with me then other people I would like to :)

I am hoping to meet someone on here :) he knows who he is :)

But every con I have gone too I have never met anyone and no one talks to me. I do not dress up etc so I guess I have no reason for anyone to come up to me.

Have you met people at these events?

How did you go about it?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people talk on here, Facebook and Twitter etc and then meet up. It's a lot less awkward than randomly trying to make conversation.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work for me sadly :D

But I guess I could try to talk to people in lies, when I went to the Alex one a lot of people were together or looked at me a little oddly.

If you've got two people who are too shy to say anything to each other and neither is willing to start the conversation, nothing's going to happen (and sometimes I am that shy person, so I know where you're coming from), but as has already been said: a lot of people are there for exactly the same reason you are, particularly if they're in a queue with you for a particular guest. Anyway, some potential conversation starters:

Say something about the guest for whom you are queueing to the person behind you - it's easier to turn around and face the person behind you than to tap the shoulder of the person in front until you have more practice. Even if it's just to say something random like how busy the guest is today. Then you can ask stuff like: what got the attendee into that guest? Have they met them before or is this the first time?

Ask the person next to you (in a queue or otherwise), what brought them here/how they heard about this event/whether they on the forum.

If you spot someone you recognize from photo threads and they don't look like they're rushing for anything, go up to them and say, "Hi, don't I know you from the Showmasters forum?" (And if they're not on it, you've still got the chance of saying they should be/add shameless plug for SM, etc., heh)

Compliment people on their outfits/hair/tattoos/costume/bag etc. and ask them something about that.

If someone's at a dealer stall looking over something related to a show or film you like, look over and say something to that effect and if the person looks receptive, ask them something along the lines of what they like best about that show/film and go from there.

Remember that open questions (what/where/why/how/who) are going to get larger responses than ones which will result in just Yes or No, so use those to get someone into conversation.

Smile!

It's not going to work every time, as some people will be too shy to respond and some may not be there to talk to other people, but plenty of them will, so be brave and try it out. I've done variations on most of these and had them done to me too, so I'm not the only one who finds they work (and sometimes have become so engrossed in conversations with people behind me in queues that SM/ME staff have had to gently move me along as a gap has formed ahead of me)! Good luck, whatever you try to do. And if you recognize me from photo threads, feel free to practise on me. :D

My tactic is chocolate its a great ice breaker, I generally yelp delightedly if I see something amazing like in the queue for Karen someone had a river song diary that was a brilliant copy and now I know where to buy one :D I find hotel cons much easier to make friends at because your locked in a building together for a whole weekend!!!

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work for me sadly :YAHOO:

See I just looked at your profile - (I'll talk to anyone :D )

and you say message me.

so I hope you don't think people are ignoring that, its not intentional - messaging is disabled on this forum.

So unless you display a facebook link, or such, no one can reach you.

A lot of the people that I know are a result of knowing them via the forum first, and then either intentionally meeting up or just spotting them at an event for a proper chat.

Others were either by association or just random chatting in a queue.

As you attend more events eventually you will find people coming up to you as they recognise you from previous events, or even from on here if you post your photo shoots on a regular basis.

My tactic is chocolate its a great ice breaker, I generally yelp delightedly if I see something amazing like in the queue for Karen someone had a river song diary that was a brilliant copy and now I know where to buy one :YAHOO: I find hotel cons much easier to make friends at because your locked in a building together for a whole weekend!!!

I'll take lots of chocolate then :D

I always go to these things on my own and almost always get chatting to people around me in the photo queues, especially since we're all waiting for the same thing. Even if you just comment how you're excited/nervous for the photo or if anyone's got an idea for a cool pose, something to break the ice. Obviously if you're very shy I can understand not wanting to be conversation starter but sometimes it's worth taking a risk.

My tactic is chocolate its a great ice breaker, I generally yelp delightedly if I see something amazing like in the queue for Karen someone had a river song diary that was a brilliant copy and now I know where to buy one ;) I find hotel cons much easier to make friends at because your locked in a building together for a whole weekend!!!

I'll take lots of chocolate then :D

Majority of my twitter friends I started to chat to at cons after giving out chocolate.

A girl in the Kate Mulgrew queue at CM 16 asked me to take her photo of Kate, her and her Janeway and Chakotay dolls. We're now good friends. may be worth a bash (I'd leave out the Janeway and Chakotay dolls, right enough.) I'm not naturally the kind of person that talks to people in queues so it was nice to make friends that way.

Feel free to add me on Facebook, though I'll be crewing at EMS. I have quite a few friends who go to showmasters events. http://www.facebook.com/EileenTaylorLD

I find this thread very informative. I've only attended LFCC this summer, apart from the various ones in Denmark where I know most of the people (we are very few :D )

I barely talked to anyone new at LFCC, expect people I knew from danish cons. But I suspect much of my reaction was based on the fact this event was as big as it was. It was absolutely amazingly huge. I would love to chat with people this time, as I am not as guest wise busy as last time, and will try seeing what people are up to when waiting for photos ^^

also orangepeel, feel free to poke me on the shoulder should you find me ^^ I'd be glad to talk Alex Kingston with you ;-)

I was In a lift at Chevron 7.6 and a Young Lady got in and we chatted all thought the party and met in the queue the next day and she and I joked with each other about where I should place her name label and I tried to stick it to her and the swedish chap laught and the 3 of us have been friends ever since

I started last year going conventions, last Novembers EMS, I didn't know anybody!! however now I am pleased to say due to some very nice individuals out their who have helped me find my way round things, I have met with a few of the people on here.

In fact this forum alone was fundamental in Collectormaina this year!, Put a newbie meet out, for other newbies staying at the hotel (or just visiting!), we had about 15 people come, doesn't sound many but it was a brilliant night out!

Now, I see people all the time that I have spoken to briefly on Facebook or here, we may know nothing about each other personally but we always stop to say hello, how you doing etc and there is one bloke, who I met at CM and we met again at LFCC in July, not only did he spend a fortune buying me and hubby a drink at Earls Court for my birthday, he also got me a birthday card!, I only met him once before and it was because of this forum!!.

Have hope, I did! by the way I am not hard to miss if you want to say Hi, I have very pink hair, and have two kids in tow...Saturday as Rory (including black marks!) Sunday as DW and the other son both days as John Sheppard from Stargate!.

Ali xx