Buzz Aldrin appearance rescheduled for next year

showmasters

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the amount of money Jason/Dave will lose will be astronomical, as their total fees won't be nearly covered, but hey, thats Ok, a few folks will have done the full set, or as close to the full set, as possible.

Some how the American shows can have roughly 10-20 of them at the same show, but expecting more than one in England at a time is pushing the boat out, and asking people to go bankrupt.

Even I'd be foolish to think that we could do anything like the Space show line-ups quoted. But now we have one show a year, its more important that we raise our game a little. In terms of time, every show now counts. I also clearly stated that the prices will rise a little too.

At the end of the day my suggestion was to get significant 'space guests' and 'hollywood stars' bums on seats!. Something American show's are doing a whole much better than us right now.

Autographica should be the worlds! (europes? :) ) leading Autograph show. Is it?, look at our line-up!

Edited by Donkey

• Showmasters Admin

Hi Donkey

Who is this We all the time.

We should raise our game.

As you are nothing to do with this show or the decision making please stop reffering to We

Every one of the posts you have made on this forum are negative you do not have a positive word to say about the show or any guest there.

So please inflict your sarcasm and negative waves away from this topic as it is quite obvious that you will never like the line up no matter who we have.

Some of us are trying to organise a show here and do not have time to Bitch and Moan constantly.

Now if it is o.k i would like to concentrate on running the event

Dave Phillips

Hi Donkey

Who is this We all the time.

We should raise our game.

As you are nothing to do with this show or the decision making please stop reffering to We

Every one of the posts you have made on this forum are negative you do not have a positive word to say about the show or any guest there.

So please inflict your sarcasm and negative waves away from this topic as it is quite obvious that you will never like the line up no matter who we have.

Some of us are trying to organise a show here and do not have time to Bitch and Moan constantly.

Now if it is o.k i would like to concentrate on running the event

Dave Phillips

Don't these events operate differently to shops or other businesses 'We' being people who support the event, people who are passionate about it, and show enough interest to want to sit here all day and debate a way forward. But if you're unhappy with the term, I won't use it, its just 'you' and 'us' sounds a bit odd.

I'm not negavite either (I was even suggesting to put prices up!). I'm happy that I'm going to meet a few of the guests there. I'd just be more excited if I was going to meet more.

It seems debate though isn't welcome. So lets cut this shot. I hope that next year is a bit more to mine and others liking.

Edited by Donkey

Look Donkey, it's simple. Even simpler than the concept that guests are subject to work commitments. Even Health problems. Don't be an ASS. (How much do I get for the Bingo card there.. LOL)

That show in Tucson was a SPACE ONLY show. It had bigwigs from NASA, it had scientists talking about stuff that would baffle you, if you can't grasp the idea an autograph show might have non-SPACE guests, and the idea that some folks don't have an AMEX black card every time they want one.

The costs of flying folks internally within the US is a pittance compared to using Virgin Atlantic, BA etc etc. (Other airlines also exist, but as they're all in groups, wouldn't matter anyway..)

Maybe if you went to a few other shows, you might realise that paying 200 bucks a throw is a bit of a stretch for most folks, especially if theres 10 folks each asking that. But then, we don't all have Daddies christmas bonus from Goldman's waiting for us under the Xmas Tree, eh..

The Yanks pay a pittance for gas, pay a pittance for food.. they have the relatively spare disposable income, despite their economy being more screwed than any around the Agean Seas. Hmm.. pay mortgage, or get 5 Moonwalkers autographs.. Have somewhere to live, or 5 autographs.. hmm tough choice.

Ok so the organisers of the SPACE autograph show had that many guests, asking megabucks. Heard any reports back from your Astro-pals on how busy the place was? Did the organisers take one hell of a beating?

If you're SO sure that having that many astro guys asking that much a throw in the middle of a screwed up economy is such a money-spinner. DIY.

I hear Pluto Nash2 is being shot.. might need a lead actor, now the other Donkey is doing the Academy Awards..

It seems I now deserve insulting. Cheers.

This is fast becoming 'you lot' and 'me', thats certainly not what I wanted. I just wanted some debate because I was interested and a fan of the show, and the guests it brings over.

I can't comment further sorry.

Edited by Donkey

Look, you kept on thinking that EVERYONE was ONLY ever interested in astro guys.. It's an AUTOGRAPH SHOW. What part of AUTOGRAPH show meant 'If you ain't been in Space, you're not coming in!'? If Jason spends his budget on JUST Moonwalkers, then folks like me who do the AUTOGRAPH show to collect AUTOGRAPHS of Film stars, Pilots etc, and the occasional astronaut.. won't go.

If you want a mega lineup of Star Trek folks, do a Star Trek con, Buffy, a Buffy con, Stargate.. a Stargate con.. Space, a Space con.. Autographica is NOT a SPACE convention. Get past that bit, THEN we can have a debate, which apparently you seem to think is off limits on here. YOU might JUST go for Moonwalkers and think they breathe-out di-lithium crystals. Myself, Count and reddragon, and I dare say quite a few of the Autographica regulars.. don't.

Read my posts again. Whilst they did primarily talk about the moonwalkers, I regularly talked about Hollywood stars, and the guys from the war. If I then say where are these on the guest list, I get told I'm being negative.

All I was arguing was that we have less time to meet these guys and now one show a year, so lets get them back on board, and you all kicked off against me!.

Edited by Donkey

• Showmasters Admin

I'm going to try and end this.

Donkey's suggestion is not completely off the wall. I understand he's saying that with only one show a year we have less chances to meet these big space names as they are not getting an younger. That is true.

Donkey I think the others issue with this suggestion is two folder.

1: Space guests cost A LOT of money on both fees and flights. Just because they come does NOT mean they will make money. With very high overheads the space guests can be some of the highest risk guests to get. The guys that run the show want to get great space guests but they understand that they can't over stretch themselves. Let's say they lost 50% on just 4 big space names, we're talking more than I have left on my mortgage being lost. It would probably mean the end of the show!

2: Again with space guests being very expensive having a large number of them WILL ultimately mean less Hollywood and other guests. The guys quite reasonably will only risk a certain amount of money on any one show. Get 4 BIG space guests and it's going to effect the rest of the show. They do not have an endless pot of money to risk. And this Space bias that you are asking for isn't to everyones tastes as shown by yahweh70, reddragon and Count.

I hope that makes some sense and we can all walk away from this understanding we want slightly different things from the show, but it's never going to be able to please everyone all of the time. The guys try and get a good balance for everyone. Let's accept that and move on.

Thanks,

Stuart.

• Showmasters Admin

Yeah, it's good to see its back to Birmingham.

The dates suggest that it still is a once a year event.

I hope we can convince Dave to make it twice a year again. This once a year format seems too long, given the age of these guys. :crying:

well if everyone could help get the word out to other people that care about meeting these guest we would have the numbers to go back to running them twice a year .

but over the years numbers have gone down and as things are tuff out there less people are likely to attend , so getting the word out to more people will help us be able to look at going back to two a year .

we all love running these events but over the last 3 events we have lost money on each event , we do not care about making money from the events but loosing quite a bit of money on each event is hard so thats why we only run one now a year .

so help us to help you and tell your friends about these events as they are quite amazing and you get to meet people that will not be with us for ever and you may not ever see them any were else .

see you all soon

jason :D

well if everyone could help get the word out to other people that care about meeting these guest we would have the numbers to go back to running them twice a year .

but over the years numbers have gone down and as things are tuff out there less people are likely to attend , so getting the word out to more people will help us be able to look at going back to two a year .

we all love running these events but over the last 3 events we have lost money on each event , we do not care about making money from the events but loosing quite a bit of money on each event is hard so thats why we only run one now a year .

so help us to help you and tell your friends about these events as they are quite amazing and you get to meet people that will not be with us for ever and you may not ever see them any were else .

see you all soon

jason :WAVE:

This is only my personal opinion, but I think the numbers have decreased at the same rate the quality of guests have.

I only wish I was attending the next Autographica (only the second one i've missed in a long. long time), but unfortunately for myself and a few others I know, the guest list isn't nearly enough to warrant us going - which is sad for me, as I choose to attend events rather than spend my money on holidays!!

I do look forward to future shows and if the guest list is more to my liking, i'll be there with my wallet in my hand!!

Edited by keithporter23

• Showmasters Admin

This is only my personal opinion, but I think the numbers have decreased at the same rate the quality of guests have.

I only wish I was attending the next Autographica, but unfortunately for myself and a few others I know, the guest list isn't nearly enough to warrant us going - which is sad for me, as I choose to attend events rather than spend my money on holidays!!

I do look forward to future shows and if the guest list is more to my liking, i'll be there with my wallet in my hand!!

well i am sorry you think that way , i am glad everyone dose not think that way as there would not be events like this .

all i asked was to let other know of the event , i did not say you have to attend or like the line up this time but if others know of the event and like who we have that would keep the event going for more years to come .

one other important thing that no one says but its the truth , we have lost more guests that Attend Autographica this year than ever before , the people you may want to meet may just be to old right now and we cannot keep wishing for people you hope to attend when in fact some are not going to come as they are just to old to travel now days .

most of the classic Nasa guys are in the 80s now and they will not be able to keep on attending our events for ever , so i think we should all think about that fact that Mercury Gemini & Apollo crews are going to be less regular attendees to our events , and we will be looking at the next generation of NASA crews to attend the events we run .

i think that Autographica is a great event and should not just stop when these gentlemen are no longer able to travel to the UK .

The next generation of collectors will want to meet the crews that they have been brought up with the shuttle crews , so if you agree with what i am saying then please help us and your self by letting others know about this show and who you can meet at it .

One last thing as long as anyone from Mercury Gemini & Apollo are interesting in attending and are up for the travel we are happy to make it happen , and there are still some guests from this elite group of men we are still trying very hard to bring over , we are the only people in the UK to regularly bring these big guest over to the UK so its in everyones interest to support the show so we all get to keep on meeting amazing guests.

well there are a few of my thoughts

thank you for any help any of you can give to promote the show

see you all soon

Mercury Gemini & Apollo guys are what im mainly interested in with this show, and the cxls this time have been hard and the reason ive yet to buy a ticket is down to fearing this would occur, and the fact im not happy about the deluxe ticket changing from minimum of 10 included shots to maximum of 10 included shoots and that not being announced on this forum.

BUT either way even with the cxls, Im still coming as its still a great line up of astronauts and for me michael cochrane is a massive actor draw! I only wish a sharpe reunion would happen again!

i think its a valid point of 1 a year being risky cos of the guy ages, if one cxls this year, thats a long year for a reschedule, but i also accept jason/daves reasons and they are perfectly understandable.

i do think it should be in london mainly cos id assume but might be wrong it would be easier for the older guests?

would it be possible to have the 1 autographica a year but then to add a small dedicated area at the LFCC or CML for a mini autographica??

• Showmasters Admin

Autographica is more than just some guests its the meal the screenings the dressing up and the guest we often get would not like a signing show , i know some of the guests we get would not attend any other event other than Autographica .

one think i think everyone should think of , over the years he have had some amazing guests that really would not attend any other show in the world , if we did not run this show so many of you would not have gotten to meet so many rare and nice guests .

Buzz Aldrin

Jim Lovell

Joan Collins

Norman Wisdom

Sir John Mills

Richard Todd

Alexei Leonov

Ursula Andress

to name a few so yes you can say that a shows line up is not as good as last year or as the one 3 years ago but what would happen if there was no more shows in the future ? who would you miss the chance to meet ? you will never know , so help keep the show a live and you keep the chances open to meeting more amazing guests at future shows .

we will have great show sin the future some will be more to your liking and others will not but as long as it keeps going you will see people you care about in the future

if we did not run this show so many of you would not have gotten to meet so many rare and nice guests .

Buzz Aldrin

Jim Lovell

Joan Collins

Norman Wisdom

Sir John Mills

Richard Todd

Alexei Leonov

Ursula Andress

we will have great shows in the future some will be more to your liking and others will not but as long as it keeps going you will see people you care about in the future

Absolutely!!! Well said Jason - and it's these kind of names that keep the shows so popular. Roll on Autographica 2012 and hopefully 2 shows!!

• 2 weeks later...

Have I read that correctly... he's coming over next year but to BIRMINGHAM!?! That would be excellent! It's so much closer to home and easier to get to for me, myself and a friend were only last week discussing our disappointment at him coming over but the event being so far away in London. Birmingham is excellent news if I've understood correctly.