Buzz Aldrin appearance rescheduled for next year

showmasters

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Hi There

Not sure about the emails can you call me as i have not been getting them.

I always reply no matter how busy.

There is a great photoshoot coming up trust me.

Still working on guests.

Dave

hi dave, how do we go about getting a refund for the buzz aldrin photoshoot? was only going to the event to take my dad to meet him so have no interest in any other offers, thank you

barry

A massive disappointment Autographica.

I've now lost £300+ spent on trains and hotels and my last few days booked off work put to waste.

A contracts a contract and at every other time people are held to them.....but not in 'Autographica World'.

This'll be the last time I'll even think about coming to one of these events.

Thanks for being a waste of time.

I've now lost £300+ spent on trains and hotels and my last few days booked off work put to waste.

A contracts a contract and at every other time people are held to them.....but not in 'Autographica World'.

What planet are you on... not in "Autographica World"? Peoples commitments can and DO change. Sure it can be a massive blow but DEAL WITH IT. Should Dave and co sue Buzz Aldrin? How will that help to have him confirm for a future show?

How about if you had booked/paid to attend a show in Phoenix, Arizona once Jim McDivitt & Frank Borman had been announced.... and when you were on holiday in USA found out that the 2 main reasons for you attending the show had cancelled. Cost of two airline tickets/hotels about £3000....

The show was still AWESOME and had a great time... not meeting Borman & McDivitt (though with thanks to Dave and his crew met McDivitt at the 2008 Autographica).

Get off the guy's case.

How about if you had booked/paid to attend a show in Phoenix, Arizona once Jim McDivitt & Frank Borman had been announced.... and when you were on holiday in USA found out that the 2 main reasons for you attending the show had cancelled. Cost of two airline tickets/hotels about £3000....

This does sound a bit like 'my dads bigger than your dad' kinda stuff.

The American shows are serious 'space' shows, if it was a more random set of attendees and nothing like the same scale, maybe you'd be a bit little less impressed.

A holiday in Arizona, sounds a whole bunch better than spending it basically on Heathrows runway.

Anybody who loses out because of guests cancelling has my sympathy, although perhaps we've all learnt not to go for the 'non-refundable' option next time.

Where any doubt about whether my desire to attend an event can change because of variations in the line-up, then I try to book refundable accomodation at least.

As for enforcing a contract, it won't give them power to extradite him to make him appear. All they would be able to sue for is the recovery of their costs (not yours). And the real price of recovering those costs will be that huge swathes of future guests won't sign a contract, because they don't want to be sued for a sum of money (with the surrounding aggravation and publicity) when they have to cancel an event because they've been offered a film role or have a personal situation arise.

Where any doubt about whether my desire to attend an event can change because of variations in the line-up, then I try to book refundable accomodation at least.

As for enforcing a contract, it won't give them power to extradite him to make him appear. All they would be able to sue for is the recovery of their costs (not yours). And the real price of recovering those costs will be that huge swathes of future guests won't sign a contract, because they don't want to be sued for a sum of money (with the surrounding aggravation and publicity) when they have to cancel an event because they've been offered a film role or have a personal situation arise.

I completely agree with everything you say, and we'd be foolish to burn any bridges.

But it does seem that even drawing up such contracts is a nonsence though. Other than the contracted fees they seem absolutely meaningless, when if what actually happens is when they break it, we say "oh thats fine, perhaps turn up to the next one!". They have complete freedom, because we're fearful of upsetting them.

It's also noticable that there isn't a queue of notible replacements forming either. Maybe it is time to get tough, and have each guest come once, and once only! :jason:

Edited by Donkey

You are well out of order Muttlea, It's still a great space line up, and one moonwalker Ed Apollo 14

Edited by APOLLO 16

But it does seem that even drawing up such contracts is a nonsence though. Other than the contracted fees they seem absolutely meaningless, when if what actually happens is when they break it, we say "oh thats fine, perhaps turn up to the next one!". They have complete freedom, because we're fearful of upsetting them.

Not completely meaningless - let's face it, you're not going to stop an actor doing filmwork, or anybody going to a family funeral or a divorce hearing, are you? You're going to release them from the contractual obligation, presumably in exchange for a promise about a future appearance instead. But it would be nice to think that such a contract would at least be useful in warding off other conventions.

It's also noticable that there isn't a queue of notible replacements forming either.

It's 3 weeks away; a tad short notice for some folks.

This is complete nonsence. You can't compare the two shows at all. Have you seen that line-up!. It's incredible, we've got one!, they've got almost the complete set!. For an extra few pounds here and there, I'm sure nobody here would complain if we created the same. It's interesting you didn't point out that one of our guests, is also half price!.

But maybe paying extra gets them actually to turn up. At the moment, we've attracted one!. With now one show a year and therefore fewer opportunities, maybe it is time to change plan and just get them here at all cost.

It's amazing how many work commitments they all have on the same weekend. Perhaps under the current terms they simply aren't interested.

Hang on.. would you rather have to choose which one you plump for, and miss out on 90% of the guests.. and pay through the nose for the privelege, or get a few of them, and get them all, for near enough the same price as getting one in Tuscon.

I'm not really sure what your point is here?. Are you trying to say you prefer having less guests at a time?. Given that we now have one show a year, and time isn't on our side. I fear you should really stop and think about it a little harder. If you really want to meet them all.

Whilst I agree that Autographica isn't a 'Space Show'; it seems from the traffic on the forum, that thats where the core interest is - and therefore almost the entire show rests on getting these guys on board.

I don't actually consider the Arazona prices that scandalous. If it means either meeting them, or not meeting them - I'm in. I do wish sometimes the pricing was a bit more transparent though. It's hard to figure why some are so much more expensive, and others much less.

As I said maybe its time to get contracts that actually mean something; and go all balls out to make the next few shows something special. If rising prices a little bit means that we get events to remember, tell us thats the plan, and it actually is going to happen (not like some of the promises before) - and lets go.

Edited by Donkey

Whilst I agree that Autographica isn't a 'Space Show'; it seems from the traffic on the forum, that thats where the core interest is - and therefore almost the entire show rests on getting these guys on board.

Nope, quite the contrary. The majority of forum members asking for space guests are not a true representation of the punters turning up for the shows. There are probably far more people interested in the other guests (of TV,stage and screen), but are unfortunately not as 'vocal' on here as the 'space fans'.

Be grateful you have anybody related to space turning up at all! We attendees who go for the Hollywood legends, have been sorely let down this year.

Be grateful you have anybody related to space turning up at all! We attendees who go for the Hollywood legends, have been sorely let down this year.

I guess there are many confused people this year.

The show has gone from two, down to one a year. We were told when it got cancelled, that due to them having more time to organise it, the line-up would be impressive. There were then lots of threads asking for suggestions....

There's no hollywood star, theres not the usual WW2 guests either, reunions.... etc, etc.

Maybe those fans have given up! and thats why its just us space fans arguing amongst ourselves. :WINCE:

Something somewhere isn't right, maybe Showmasters are too focussed on the bigger London events, maybe something else. I just hope that next year we can get the balance right, and the wow factor back.....

We attendees who go for the Hollywood legends, have been sorely let down this year.

That might be a bit unfair. The group of people who could be classed as genuine Hollywood legends, i.e. those at the Tony Curtis/Ernest Borgnine level is not a huge pool to fish from and it may just be that the costs associated with those guests or their willingness to attend a signing event in the UK might make their attendance harder to arrange for the organisers of this show.

That might be a bit unfair. The group of people who could be classed as genuine Hollywood legends, i.e. those at the Tony Curtis/Ernest Borgnine level is not a huge pool to fish from and it may just be that the costs associated with those guests or their willingness to attend a signing event in the UK might make their attendance harder to arrange for the organisers of this show.

But we know there ARE Hollywood legends on the autograph circuit, just as we know there ARE moonwalkers.

It's just how you get them in the net. I'd rather be bitching that its going to cost me £x more to meet somebody significant, than having to wait another 12 months to see a line-up matching this one.

As with the space guests the time is now ticking. One show a year doesn't leave us many opportunities.

Ive just had the letter , and i can say i'm more than happy with the alternative photo shoot. Yes i booked to see Buzz, but the alternative shoot in my eyes more than makes up for it. Plus it give me something to look forward to for next year!

Those of you complaining ... guests have always appeared at shows subject to work commitments, so if you book just on the basis of one guest its at your own risk.

This is clearly stated on the website's home page.

"All guests subject to work and other commitments. Guest are charging for

autographs. Not all guests signing on all days"

Just be glad the caliber of guests remains high , and you can still see Buzz next year!!!

Those of you complaining ... guests have always appeared at shows subject to work commitments, so if you book just on the basis of one guest its at your own risk.

I do get flustrated with comments like these, hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

Maybe you should have reminded us about this when this post was made?

Hello everyone

I have been swamped with questions on the Buzz Photo shoot so here are my replies to all.

The photoshoot is limited so please order early

You will need to order an entrance ticket to take part in the shoot. I will not be posting any photoshoot tickets out.

When you order a photoshoot ticket it can be used for either sat or sun.Hope that helps

Dave Phillips

I'm really disappointed as Buzz for me was by far the biggest guest attending and has been advertising his appearance on his own website for weeks if not months (he still is tonight) so it's mysterious the conflict has only just surfaced. And also to a lesser extent Scott Carpenter as he's one of the 2 surviving Mercury 7 astronauts...

I'm still looking forward to meeting Edgar Mitchell and Bruce McCandless and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed there's no further disappointments.

As for replacements, only another moonwalker will really feel adequate - Gene Cernan, Dave Scott, Harrison Schmitt or Alan Bean would be great. What's Neil Armstrong up to on 15th? That would make up for it!! ;o)

The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation charity set up by the Mercury 7 based in Titusville are attending Autographica and I've previously ordered from them and been very impressed, so whilst it's not replacement for meeting people in person, I'll certainly be checking their stand in a few weeks for some great items, saving on postage from the US.

It seems like you think i am staff ... i am not, i am an attendee.

Why should i have posted this after a staff member lets people know about tickets being posted, how would it have been relevant?

FYI

I only posted this as it frustrates me when people clearly get angry at a cancellation then complain about it in such a way as to state that as the star is under contract they MUST attend, when all advertisements / information given prior to booking state there attendance is subject to other commitments!

You are right hindsight is wonderful thing, but so is thinking positive:

The organisers have kept everyone informed at all times and have offered those affected either a full refund, to use the ticket next year having already booked Buzz for Autographica 2012 or to have the 'special shoot! this year. In my eyes they have been more than fair with attendees.

And yes i am dissapointed that i will not meet Buzz this year, but i understand that things happen, and will look forward to his appearance next year.

I do get flustrated with comments like these, hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

Maybe you should have reminded us about this when this post was made?

Hello everyone

I have been swamped with questions on the Buzz Photo shoot so here are my replies to all.

The photoshoot is limited so please order early

You will need to order an entrance ticket to take part in the shoot. I will not be posting any photoshoot tickets out.

When you order a photoshoot ticket it can be used for either sat or sun.Hope that helps

Dave Phillips

Err, some folks have a meagre budget to spread amongst many genres of interest. Not everyone JUST goes for a Moonwalker.. just like not everyone goes JUST for Ernest Borgnine-quality folks. Not everyone has thousands of pounds to spend on one show. Some folks do other shows, and other calls on limited finances.

Ok so you think spending a grand to get a few moonwalkers is OK. Not everyone can afford a grand on one area. Not everyone can afford a grand, period. You might have just one Space-related show a year. Some are more general autograph hunters, so getting a Moonwalker is a luxury one has dangling, carrot-like.

Case in point that price can have an effect.. General Tom was cheaper last time, but wasn't, as far as I could tell, as busy as his more expensive '1-time-only' appearance a year later. Complaints about the prices Dave, Jim, etc charge. They are usually SO far greater than other guests, even the TC's of this world.. they get huge 'traffic' on here, not as positive as you seem to imagine it would be.

If you are so sure that getting every astronaut on the planet is such a great idea, and would make you a killing. I'm sure there are ways to start your own show. Get them to charge what they want.. and expect a lot of footfall, and hardly any takers. Then come back on here, and give us a report from your Bahamian Island you bought on the profits..

I prefer to have a wide range of guests. That is Autographica. Having a Space-Show is not Autographica. Having a couple of Space guests mean that any budget they wish to assign to them, can mean more than one item can be signed per guest. Lets say one has a poster on the Apollo11 movie..and a canvas.. means both can be signed by one person, rather than one by two..

Whilst you can give me this lecture about peoples spending. My core point is still true, either we get them here so they can sign, or we use your method and they never come. As I've pointed out now too many times, with the new one show a year, we only have a few shows left.

Are you really surprised that Tom had less traffic. The previous appearance was billed as the last ever. If you really wanted it, or even you were even on the fence - my bet given you were told it was the only chance you'd get - you'd buy one. Hence demand was less.

Collecting moonwalkers is very addictive, and everybody involved is probably at various stages of trying to obtain the illusive complete set. Given the prices it surly puts off the 'average' collector. I'm sure like collecting random Bond girls, you're either 'in', 'out', or 'joining' (ready to spend too much time arguing on internet forums :YAHOO:)

Is my post really that outrageous that I should 'start my own show'. I've said that maybe for a 'special show' we should maybe consider paying a few pounds extra. Not hundreds, not thousands.... a few pounds!. So we don't get this type of line-up again.

Some people are so mean.

Edited by Donkey