Cosplay

My experience of the cosplay zone can be summed up in one word, "Shambles".

I booked in advance and though I reported to the desk early, when it came down to it, there was no record of me on the lists.

I was asked to report promptly at 2:30 for briefing, which happened at 3:15 -15 minutes after we were supposed to be going in.

Though I'd asked for specific music, and been told they already had that, when I was briefed The girl had no record that I wanted music. To save hassle I opted to go without music.

They played A Holmsian theme tune anyway, but not the one I'd asked for.

Everything ran very late because people whose skits ran way over the three minutes were not cut short; not fun for people last on the lists. I finally got my turn nearer 5pm than 4.

The announcers didn't always know what was up next, one guy at the cozplay front desk had no answers for any of my questions and the poor 'green room assistant' seemed to be working from different instructions to everyone else.

Come on guys, bits of paper on clipboards? where's the techy wizardry of instant wifi updating of a master scedule one would expect from an event this huge?

And by the way, what happened to the changing rooms and prop storage facilities? This: a small hastily hand written sign suggesting using the mezanine floor toilets instead.

I had fun meeting up with the other fans and seeing the amazing creativity of the costumes and merchandise but:

My first ever Film/Comic Con.

Probably my last.

Hi there.

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with the Cosplay Zone. I was the one in charge of the Sign-ups and the Masquerade and will take full responsibility for any mishaps that happened. If you let me know which Cosplay you entered with, I might be able to cast some light on the whole thing.

In regards to the delayed Masquerade I will try an explain what happened. I worked within the Cosplay Zone last LFCC and last EMS as well. The reason for the delayed show was a collision of things, but most importantly that we had so many more sign-ups than expected and it blew us away a little bit. It left us a bit unprepared; it might not seem it, but putting together the judged, non-judged and juniors and then the music and order for all of these is a lot of admin work and takes some time. Seeing how busy our Saturday was this weekend and how popular the Masquerade and Cosplay in general has become clear to us that we need to review our previous methods and we will be putting in a lot of effort to make sure next year runs a lot smoother and without delays.

I really do hope you change your mind about not going again, there's a lot more to LFCC than just the Masquerade which will, quite honestly, always be a little hectic.

I will appreciate any feedback you can give me.

- Lise

I've never seen as many great Cosplays as I did at this event- but have to say, Jerri-Kay, your Black Cat was oustanding! And you looked absolutely GORGEOUS! I will have to check out your Harley Quinn for sure. Just sorry I wasn't able to take a photo of you myself though a good friend of mine who was there got two great shots of you. I hope to see you at a future event and maybe grab a few words with you.

oh my goodness, thankyou! yes you will definitely see me again, im sure. yes come over for a chat! :D this really does mean alot to me...sometimes i think my costumes aren't really that good, especially in comparison to everyone else..so thankyou!

Lise,

I think the main problem is that the Cosplay at LFCC is growing quicker than anyone expected. This was only our 3rd LFCC but the increase in the number of entries is noticeable even to a relative newbie like me. As you rightly say, putting together the judged, non-judged and juniors and then the music and order for all of these I'm sure does take time and it would be unfair for anyone to criticise someone for doing something when they haven't had to do it themselves.

Any long term fixes (bigger stage etc etc) would have to be worked with Showmasters, but a quick fix would be to drop entries on the day. That would at least give you chaps a fighting chance in terms of getting everything ready in advance and remove the need to try and shuffle things around at the last minute. It would also give the judges advance notice of how many they needed to judge. Just a thought.

I was the one in charge of the Sign-ups and the Masquerade and will take full responsibility for any mishaps that happened.

Hey, Lise - you compered very well (as in maintained interest!) - now how about getting someone technically savvy with a keyboard next time (re: the music mis-haps) - and who were the judges?! I found their runner up verdicts very poor in contrast to some spectacular costumes and performances that I saw .. were they watching the same show?! :angel:

Edited by chasingamy

I was the one in charge of the Sign-ups and the Masquerade and will take full responsibility for any mishaps that happened.

Hey, Lise - you compered very well (as in maintained interest!) - now how about getting someone technically savvy with a keyboard next time (re: the music mis-haps) - and who were the judges?! I found their runner up verdicts very poor in contrast to some spectacular costumes and performances that I saw .. were they watching the same show?! :angel:

The Judges were Sean Bonnar, Priscilla Cho and Esti-licious. They were definitely watching the same shows, and probably - to be honest - saw them a lot closer up than you did. This is the reason for the pre-judging, where the judges can go through all the cosplays one by one and ask when questions on how they did theirs outfits and see the cosplays up close. I trust their verdicts 100%.

In your other post on the Masquerade thread I have responded as well and asked what you felt was non tech savvy about our lady at the keyboard, I would love for you to elaborate. Did you mean Saturday here as well or Sunday? The Saturday everything music-wise seem to have went as planned to me, everyone who had pre-signed up got given their requested music. Any late sign-ups we did our best with downloading music in time. The Sunday we were asked by our Pit Boss to have generic music in the background for all acts as we were having technical difficulties and sorting out the music in time would take us a good time, so this was a decision made to prevent the Masquerade for being delayed as the day before.

Lise,

I think the main problem is that the Cosplay at LFCC is growing quicker than anyone expected. This was only our 3rd LFCC but the increase in the number of entries is noticeable even to a relative newbie like me. As you rightly say, putting together the judged, non-judged and juniors and then the music and order for all of these I'm sure does take time and it would be unfair for anyone to criticise someone for doing something when they haven't had to do it themselves.

Any long term fixes (bigger stage etc etc) would have to be worked with Showmasters, but a quick fix would be to drop entries on the day. That would at least give you chaps a fighting chance in terms of getting everything ready in advance and remove the need to try and shuffle things around at the last minute. It would also give the judges advance notice of how many they needed to judge. Just a thought.

This is definitely something we will be looking into, we will probably be limiting the sign-ups on the day to be only non-judged and only until around 12pm, to leave us time to sort out everything. The Cosplaying Community is indeed growing and growing, it's amazing and lovely to see! :D

Edited by BlueEyedValkyrie
  • Like 1

Sadly my friend's pictures of you in costume didn't turn out too good- any chance you can post some pics of you in costume here on the forum or send them to my e-mail if you prefer munsey.anthony@googlemail.com ? Do look forward to seeing you in the future and seeing what other characters you appear as. I'll say once again, your Black Cat was such a stand-out! :smile:

I've never seen as many great Cosplays as I did at this event- but have to say, Jerri-Kay, your Black Cat was oustanding! And you looked absolutely GORGEOUS! I will have to check out your Harley Quinn for sure. Just sorry I wasn't able to take a photo of you myself though a good friend of mine who was there got two great shots of you. I hope to see you at a future event and maybe grab a few words with you.

oh my goodness, thankyou! yes you will definitely see me again, im sure. yes come over for a chat! :D this really does mean alot to me...sometimes i think my costumes aren't really that good, especially in comparison to everyone else..so thankyou!

Lovely photos, Jerri-Kay! Thanks for posting them :smile: I thought the one of you trying to sit down was cute- some of us "costume-less" mortals had problems squatting and lying on the floor until chairs arrived on the balcony so I can only imagine trying to sit in a costume as form-fitting as yours....Must have been hot wearing it in that building too!

Do you ever do the Birmingham NEC Memorabilia/Expo?

Thanks again for the pics! :thumbup:

Edited by AJM

you're welcome hehe :D haha yes i was verrryy hot by the end of the day!

i dont know if we're allowed to talk about other events on here... but i wont be at Memorabilia but i will be at Expo in October :)

Off topic (sort off). Just to say thank you to Vamp Rouge for her comment in the related (and deleted thread). You almost made me blub - but I did give her a hug as instructed. :)

Thank you so much for this, I was just about to post asking if you'd seen it since it's gone now. :-( I'm glad you did. And I look forward to seeing you all at future events. My sister also enjoyed talking to you, it was her first con and she gets very anxious with new, big, things, so on saturday she was a bit overwhelmed but when I saw her chatting with you on sunday it made me happy to see her more relaxed. :-)

• Like 1

I just wanted to post quickly to say that I hope at least some people saw my feedback in the now deleted thread. I understand why the thread was deleted but I think it was sad people can't be constructive enough to keep a thread going without negative actions.

Anyway, I spent ages writing a long reply and now it's gone so as long as some people read it, especially Starbucks Dad' whom I now know has, and BlueEyedValkyre?

• Like 1

It was a well constructed post with a sound rationale and I'm only sorry that (if I recall correctly) events ended up causing you a degree a distress.

You sister was a delight and we all enjoyed meeting her, you and your partner and we look forward to seeing you in the future (ps: Eleanor was fascinated with your ears on Sunday - she spent quite some time working out how you'd done it!)

Jerri-Kay were you with another girl dressed as Cat Woman?

i was for a while yes :)

and sorry guys..i deleted the thread. i agree with the points you both made and you gave really good posts. its just some people cant keep it under control and they really were not being nice towards me or anyone else :( just didnt want all that negativity. you're more than welcome to start a new thread though

One of the main reasons I went to this event, my first ever, was to see the Cosplay which was absolutely marvelous. Thank you to everyone that takes the time and puts so much effort into the costumes. You really add so much to the event.

Hopefully one day I'll work out the ticketing system and get tickets to the Cosplay parade near the end of the day.

I was so lucky that everyone I asked to take a photo of the, said yes, even the ones that were surprised to be asked. You are all such great guys and girls and added so much to my experience. Thank you all.

you're welcome hehe :D haha yes i was verrryy hot by the end of the day!

i dont know if we're allowed to talk about other events on here... but i wont be at Memorabilia but i will be at Expo in October :)

Well, if I get to Expo I will defintely have camera with me and hope to see you! :smile: I've really been enjoying rapping with you on the forum and thanks for being so friendly and receptive to my posts- you obviously have a gorgeous personality too.... :D Good luck with all your future cosplays- and I hope you'll be the Cat again too....

Edited by AJM

I just wanted to post quickly to say that I hope at least some people saw my feedback in the now deleted thread. I understand why the thread was deleted but I think it was sad people can't be constructive enough to keep a thread going without negative actions.

Anyway, I spent ages writing a long reply and now it's gone so as long as some people read it, especially Starbucks Dad' whom I now know has, and BlueEyedValkyre?

I did see your feedback Vamp_Rouge, thank you so much. I was almost lost for words by the end of it because I agree with pretty much everything you said and you have made me very determined to make next year's so much better and better planned so as to not disappoint and leave people like you who decided to volunteer for the Photoshoots in distress at the end of the day and ruin the whole experience. Was trying to collect thoughts of what to say but have only just now noticed the thread has been deleted after reading Starbuck's dad 's post. I understand why you deleted it Jerry-Kay, some people were starting to be nasty towards our winners and contestants and that's unacceptable when everyone puts hard work into their outfits. I am already making notes for next year/event, so I hope to bring everyone a fantastic Cosplay Zone; well organised and with lots of improvements. :) Thanks to everyone who has left us lovely constructive criticism, which I'm so fond of!

- Lise xx

Edited by BlueEyedValkyrie

Ooooh - THAT's why it was deleted ... an over-reaction to some quite valid points from quite a few folk (not just little old me!)

If you want to grow and broaden your horizons you do need to take on board differing views (both in life .. and in Cos-Play)

Never mind - you keep it all hush-hush and censor all debate .. and everything will be fine and dandy :whistling:

I'm more than willing to take on views but not when they're spiteful and way overboard. Any who, lets not high jack this thread, if you want to express your opinion further, start your own thread :)

• Moderators

Ooooh - THAT's why it was deleted ... an over-reaction to some quite valid points from quite a few folk (not just little old me!)

If you want to grow and broaden your horizons you do need to take on board differing views (both in life .. and in Cos-Play)

Never mind - you keep it all hush-hush and censor all debate .. and everything will be fine and dandy :whistling:

Can I please ask that you try to be a little more considerate with what you're posting please?

You've upset a few people in a number of topics now, and it's been completely unnecessary.

No need to bait and look for an argument with comments like that. Thank you.