would you be prepared to pay these prices to meet these guests ?

showmasters

thank you for helping us with this poll it will make a difference   

458 members have voted

1. 1. please pick one of these only if you would pay this amount for a auto

• Jean-Claude Van Damme £45
    • Chris Pine £55
    • Ian Holm £45
  2. 2. same again

• Dolph Lundgren £45
    • Christopher Eccleston £35
    • Karl Urban £55
  3. 3. same and thank you for helping us know your thoughts

• Sean Bean £40
    • Zachary Quinto £75
    • Orlando Bloom £65

Haven't posted on here in a while but this is a very interesting thread.

£40 for Sean Bean is an absolute no brainer. A wide range of tv and film and a reasonable price should ensure he is very busy.

In fact I would meet at least 6 of the 9 you have listed and get multiple items signed.

Holm-Bean-Bloom. Lord of the Rings tastic!

Samuel L Jackson has been doing some charity golf days, dinners etc in London over the last few months. He would be an amazing guest as well!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said, if you want to see Sean Bean more than Bloom you shouldn't see Bloom.

Sorry, but this is how your post comes across to me and apparently some others too.

It comes across as "you should only see the guests you really like." I like Orlando, but I really like Sean. So per this idea I shouldn't go and see Orlando at all.

I agree that there is a nice sense of achievement that can come with completing a cast roster from a film/show, but if you don't like all the actors, then you merely cherish the concept of 'completeness'. If you were someone who did "want all the LOTR autos" but you actually think Bloom's terrible and you are only buying him because you have a sig from every other cast member from LOTR, is that really money well spent? If you wouldn't cherish Bloom on his own, why meet him at all? To simply flip past his pic in the album when you next peruse your collection?

It may not be your thing, but yes, there are some people who treasure their autos or autographed posters for the sake of completeness. Some friends of mine in the States have completely freaked over Star Wars guests that a huge chunk of the users on here have never even heard of.

And yeah, some of them spend a huge amount of money to get an autograph just to say an item is completely signed, even if they're not a big fan in that role. That part is not anything I would personally consider, but if they think it's money well spent, then be it that way.

Actually while I love CSI Miami David Caruso who you mentioned is probably the one CSI Miami guest I'd skip because I really dislike the Horatio character. :pyth:

Again if it's not your (or in that case) our thing, that is fine. No one is trying to say that one way or the other is the right way.

But your post did come across a little "people who don't concentrate on their absolute main ones are doing it wrong", and I think that's what caused the string of posts that followed.

If this isn't what you meant to say (and it does look that way) I apologize for misunderstanding.

There's so many different views on collecting, and I'm considering myself lucky if I understand half of them. I do even somewhat admire attendees who have many interests and still manage to limit their number of autographs a lot, probably because I never manage to do that myself. :D

I am saying you should only see guests you really like. What is the alternative? Seeing guests you don't really like? Seeing guests you think are merely ok? The latter is so tepid a reason its almost as bad as getting an auto from someone you don't want.

If you really like Bean, and also like Bloom, but maybe not quite as much, then I don't see how you can construe I would think you shouldn't meet him.

Of course every fan will like each particular guest to varying degrees, not every actor I would "really like" to see can even compare to how much I would like to meet say Pierce Brosnan or Sigourney Weaver but I still really like all the actors I have met. If I didn't enjoy their performances or projects there would be little point in meeting them.

I think its cool if fans like your friends are literally excited to meet a guest I don't care for - who am I to say that guest is not worth meeting? As I said previously, a good guest does not have to be a 'headliner'. A 'good' guest is a guest any fan really wants to meet.

Going off on a tangent slightly... not including Showmasters signings, I have a collection of over 250 James Bond autographs and it was indeed often fun trying to be the completest whilst collecting them. But when I sat back recently and took stock of my collection, I realised that only a few have any real 'worth' to me. So I'm culling it down and concetrating on people's work I actually admire in one way or another, rather than just 'closing the gaps'.

There is no need to apologise. I agree that there is no right or wrong way when it comes to collecting. I'm just trying to offer another perspective. I have done the OCD collecting thing and now I get much more enjoyment by being more selective. If a collector can bear to dismiss what I call the "collectors mentality" for two seconds to allow the horrible possibility that maybe they have wasted lots of time and money over the years... whichever way we spin it, it is ultimately pointless to spend money on guests to whom we are indifferent. Then it becomes less about passion; more about accumilation.

Edited by Dent_1

If you really like Bean, and also like Bloom, but maybe not quite as much, then I don't see how you can construe I would think you shouldn't meet him.

Well you are saying one should be more selective and only met the guests you "really like".

That's probably where I understood you wrong.

For me there's guests I like and I really like. Or maybe call them "guests I want to see" and "guests I want to see at all costs."

So I understand you right, those two categories combined are basically your "really like" category?

It sounded to me like you take all guests you were trying to cull everything down to the "guests I want to meet at all costs" category.

Orlando would be "want to see" for me, but Sean would be "want to see at all costs." So Orlando would go off the list. Does that explanation make some sense?

Going off on a tangent slightly... not including Showmasters signings, I have a collection of over 250 James Bond autographs and it was indeed often fun trying to be the completest whilst collecting them. But when I sat back recently and took stock of my collection, I realised that only a few have any real 'worth' to me. So I'm culling it down and concetrating on people's work I actually admire in one way or another, rather than just 'closing the gaps'.

That's where the opinions start getting all across the board I guess.

For me each autograph has a worth because there's a normally a story behind it. So they're often more kind of mementos I guess. They're not valuables and partly not even collectables.

If a collector can bear to dismiss what I call the "collectors mentality" for two seconds to allow the horrible possibility that maybe they have wasted lots of time and money over the years... whichever way we spin it, it is ultimately pointless to spend money on guests to whom we are indifferent. Then it becomes less about passion; more about accumilation.

This is the point where we will have to disagree.

I don't think anyone would meet a guest they are indifferent to.

I think every attendee wants to meet a guest for a reason. May it be completing a cast autograph, may it be because he was in their favorite show, maybe they're head over heels in love with him.

Even if they want to meet a guest for the sake of completion, in my definition that doesn't mean they're indifferent to this guest. This attendee will go "yay, one more name down!" and be happy about it. Does that happen when you are indifferent to a guest?

Yeah, maybe in a couple of years we will all go: "What was I thinking?" But unless you had a really unplesant experience meeting a guest (which thankfully rarely happens) hopefully it won't happen that fast.

I think the prices are fairly reasonable, considering the names in question on the poll.

Whilst the events have been improving quite a bit in London, such as this year's LFCC, it would be nice if there could be a mix of stars from today, movies gone by and some of the more obscure bit-part players. The latter, unfortunately, have appeared in my view to dominate recent Collectormania events at Milton Keynes.

Cant seem to vote on Poll sooooo

Jean-Claude Van Damme £45 - Doesnt intrest me but can see the appeal. Good price.

Chris Pine £55- Again doesnt intrest me but think reasonable.

Ian Holm £45 - A taaad expensive but would pay it defo

Dolph Lundgren £45 - Doesnt intrest me

Christopher Eccleston £35 - Tad over pricy. Wouldnt pay.

Karl Urban £55 - Extreamly over price but WOULD pay!

Sean Bean £40 - YES YES YES

Zachary Quinto £75 - Wouldnt pay when I can got to a ME con for that. Jump between him and Chris a bit extreame!

Orlando Bloom £65...... Yes I would pay this to have my little LOTR fan girl moment. Just please warn me in advance! XD

I know this isn't a guest suggestion thread (but hey, every thread turns into onr eventually!), but I believe Frank Oz is in the UK around the time of EMS. That is someone I know many people would be happy to pay 50 quid + for!!

For me especially, the first selection is the most exciting! I'd pay for all three guests!

Three Star Trek guests would be awesome, but with Zachary Quinto being that steep, I for one wouldn't be able to meet them all!

So many people, so little money!!

I don't think anyone would meet a guest they are indifferent to.

I think every attendee wants to meet a guest for a reason. May it be completing a cast autograph, may it be because he was in their favorite show, maybe they're head over heels in love with him.

Even if they want to meet a guest for the sake of completion, in my definition that doesn't mean they're indifferent to this guest. This attendee will go "yay, one more name down!" and be happy about it. Does that happen when you are indifferent to a guest?

I think the original poster's point is yes, in such cases you may be indifferent to the guest - you're certainly not indifferent to that guest's signature, that's your goal. But the guest themself you may not care tuppence about, other than their ability to provide the requisite squiggle for the sake of completeness.

That would, of course, only apply to people who worship exclusively at the altar of completeness with no regard to anything else.

Wishful thinking, but I hope that one day the event organisers, could dictate the appearance fees of guests and not the otherway round.....

Realistically that's almost never going to happen, since its not usually the guest's primary source of income. If you're an out of work actor who hasn't done much for a few years and doesn't have accumulated wealth from your past, then yes, the organisers may have some leverage over you. But even if you're a moderately successful actor, picking up a six or seven figure sum once or twice a year for a film or TV part, plus having a nice steady income stream from residuals/royalties (repeat screenings, DVD sales etc), then you probably don't need the extra money that turning up to a signing event offers. That money may well be a nice little bonus, but in the end you can walk away without being driven to poverty by doing so, so you can bargain as hard or as soft as you feel you want to. And if you're a more than moderately successful actor, then the monetary aspect is insignificant, and the event organisers have no chance of dictating the fee to you.

I would imagine for most actors its a wide mix of how much they want to meet their fans (or how much to they want to put up with meeting their fans :thumbup: ) plus the inconvenience, loss of time and opportunity etc. I suspect most don't have to do it, but enjoy the benefits (financial and otherwise) - in such circumstances, the ability for the organisers to "dictate" fees is rather limited.

First post, more or less inspired by this great thread. All these names are great... being an LOTR afficianado, any first-timers would be welcome, especially of this calibre. But these are my thoughts on the current crop posted by Jason....

Jean-Claude Van Damme £45 - Would love to meet but not at this price. £30 certainly.

Chris Pine £55- Bit steep to prompt a casual fan to meet him.

Ian Holm £45 - Definite purchase. Would probably buy two, one LOTR and one Alien.

Dolph Lundgren £45 - Same as JCVD

Christopher Eccleston £35 - Not interested sorry

Karl Urban £55 - Met him, nice guy.

Sean Bean £40 - Definite purchase.. one each for LOTR, Game of Thrones, Sharpe

Zachary Quinto £75 - Same as Pine.

Orlando Bloom £65 - Not sure £65 is justifiable on someone who isn't exactly a legend. If he was £40 like Bean, then I would say he would be a definite - if only to complete my poster!

For the record, since these sorts of prices are being banded about, I would certainly do £50 for Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler, Ian McKellan and Cate Blanchett. A little bit less for Hugo Weaving.

Looking forward to these types of guests going forward!!

Ed

Edited by Must.Complete.Poster

Fair point!! The last Trek film was enjoyable but it wouldn't exactly be the highlight of my year if he were announced... Him and Quinto together may be a different story but that would be a costly day!!

All about LOTR fpr me, hence my screen name :) Will probably start a Hobbit one too..

You've mentioned Jean-Claude Van Damme, but what about Steven Segal? He has been to the UK before touring

Met him in Perth a few years back, when he was with his band. Top bloke. Very approachable!

Personally, were Orlando to make an appearance at an SM event, I'd be highly likely to meet him for LotR as well, high price or no. I agree that the guests don't have to be "current" for one to want to meet them (some of the actors I've met have been for roles played decades ago), but considering it's been a fair while since Orlando's been high profile, I think lizzy88 was justified in querying the price, given the information to hand when posting.

Take William Shatner. He's created an iconic role in Kirk as part of a franchise which is still immensely popular (and given the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot, arguably as mainstream as something like LotR and PotC) AND he's still very active (including the not-so-long-ago cancelled Boston Legal and more recently, S*** My Dad Says), which is, yes, more TV than film, although given what some TV actors earn/charge for appearances, that's probably neither here nor there. Yet his price was an extremely reasonable �35.

We also have Karl Urban, who was also in LoTR and is in that aforementioned JJ Abrams reboot so very current right now, but his price is �55. (Er, I think, not having the poll in front of me at this precise juncture. Stupid senility.)

Given that Orlando's in The Hobbit, the price is more understandable (I've since realized the announcement was made in May, so that would probably would have been a factor), but without that information it might have seemed a bit cheeky to be charging that much given that he hasn't been in anything "big" recently.

Hope that makes sense!

ETA: sorry for the weird symbols - they were pound signs when I put them in!

That's exactly what I meant, but you explained it so much better than I could have! I didn't realise he'd been signed up for the Hobbit, but yes, as you said, if it was, say, 5 or so years ago at the height of his fame, I would understand the high price - but he's a lot less high profile now, and I would have thought he would have been more around the £40 or £50 mark as it's a few years since he'd done his big, high profile LOTR and POTC parts.

I've also met actors from non-current things... I didn't mean people wouldn't want to meet him becuase he wasn't 'current', simply that I couldn't understand the high price.

I would pay £45 for Ian Holm but not any of the others because I'm not collecting on anything they've been in but the system won't let me vote for Ian Holm unless I vote for one from each group, which I can't because I don't want their autographs. Maybe the system needs to be changed because I can't be the only one with this problem?

Janet